HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Jan 9, 2014, 1:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1052 View Post
Was at one time supposed to be this I guess:

http://en.phorio.com/300_west_huron,..._united_states

Maybe there will be a nice half vacant cinder block strip mall instead unless whoever owns the land wants to do the appropriate groveling.

Both this lot and the one on Randolph are failed projects that bought the land at the height of the market.

The parking spaces would have go for $400 a day to service the kind of debt the developers incurred.

I suspect a couple of strip mall place holders are in their future. And that they will use the -3 TOD bonuses to get their parking requirement waved.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2014, 2:23 AM
TL;DR

I'd be fine with one-story taxpayer retail buildings if they don't have parking. Traditional strip centers are per se illegal now anyway, the parking needs to be in the rear.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2014, 3:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKDickman View Post
Both this lot and the one on Randolph are failed projects that bought the land at the height of the market.

The parking spaces would have go for $400 a day to service the kind of debt the developers incurred.

I suspect a couple of strip mall place holders are in their future. And that they will use the -3 TOD bonuses to get their parking requirement waved.
The TOD bonuses don't apply to DS districts... In fact, I think the parking bonus only kicks in on B zoning dash threes.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2014, 4:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
When you have a rapidly growing population and sexy skyscrapers going up everywhere, yes you sometimes need a new gas station. I'm not a huge fan, but they are an unfortunate reality of urban life these days
I hate to stick it to you on this one tongue-in-cheek comment, but gas stations are pretty far down the food chain in booming urban centers. In 2004 there were 207 gas stations in Manhattan, as of October 2013 there were 117, a 44 percent decrease

Old Posted Jan 9, 2014, 5:57 AM

I'm going to punch a wall if a gas station or 1 story shopping center somehow goes in there. If it does, then Reilly will go down as the worst Alderman in history. This needs to be a dense development and I hate to see it changed from mixed use. Remember this zoning can accomodate office space too. If some company is moving to Chicago or expanding a building new offices, I'll be OK with it. If that happens, is ANY mixed use out of the picture? As in ground floor eateries, or is that all part of it too?

Old Posted Jan 9, 2014, 9:39 PM
The City

Developer plans 64 townhomes in Bridgeport

The slow filling in of Bridgeport (and areas west) continues. Interestingly, this is a Chinese developer; one wonders if a large number of buyers will be as well.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Jan 9, 2014, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Developer plans 64 townhomes in Bridgeport

The slow filling in of Bridgeport (and areas west) continues. Interestingly, this is a Chinese developer; one wonders if a large number of buyers will be as well.
Yeah, I was going to say, this isn't even close to bridgeport. It is barely in McKinnley Park for that matter. I am used to hearing about lots of infill in Bridgeport, but there hasn't been a lot of construction in McKinley Park recently so this is good to hear. Even more surprising is that this is towards the Western edge of McKinnley Park. I have always thought this area is one of the city's most overlooked neighborhoods for what it is and hope that this will mark the start of a new boom that picks up where the homebuilders who dared venture into their area in the boom left off.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2014, 12:18 AM

^ I've noticed in the last month or two from my building permit data that there's some development trickling into McKinley Park. Technically 35th and Maplewood is Brighton Park on the border of McKinley Park. As far as the Asian spin goes - possible. The Asian population has trickled into near that part of Brighton Park. The census tract in this case was 14% Asian in 2010. The one next to it in McKinley Park was 18%, and the one NE of that on the border of McKinley Park and Bridgeport was over 30%. Basically looks like it's trickling SW. Half mile to the Orange line too, so not terrible for that and not too far from getting on I-55

There's actually a building permit too from 12/13 for 9 townhomes at the corner of 34th and Hoyne as well, right at Hoyne Park not terribly far away. 3 units in one building, 6 in another. There was a 1 story building there (like a old, small warehouse/car type of building) that was demolished and had a parking lot next to it.

Last edited by marothisu; Jan 10, 2014 at 12:33 AM.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2014, 1:21 AM
The City

^. It's really quite remarkable how little attention market rate development on the south side gets. Most news is about shootings.

Yet here are these developments going up, slowly but surely. And people are buying. I wish we would see this kind of development east of the Ryan

Old Posted Jan 10, 2014, 2:14 AM

Quote:
^. It's really quite remarkable how little attention market rate development on the south side gets. Most news is about shootings.

Yet here are these developments going up, slowly but surely. And people are buying. I wish we would see this kind of development east of the Ryan
Yep, slowly...but surely is right. Based on building permit data - The most happening is DEFINITELY in Bridgeport, but there's also a little bit in areas of Bronzeville/Douglas, and Oakland as well. There's also that massive development in Morgan Park/Beverly that received like 30 new home building permits a few months ago. It was kind of failed, went away and now it's back.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2014, 2:58 AM

McKinley Park is going to flip soon; very soon. For a long time, it has had a bad reputation for lots of gang activity but there was a ton of new investment leading up to the recession. The development cycle paused and its flooding in again. Like Bridgeport, its becoming alot more Chinese as time goes on. If I had the money to do so, I would be buying property there, right now. Its a cheap hood, but not for long.

----------

The downzoning proposals of the 2 lots near transit to DS-3 is unbelievably absurd. If this goes through, it proves the actual Department of Planning is only a ghost in this town and Alderman are truly free to do whatever they please. It appears we may need a couple of successful court challenges by property owners/developers to put a stop to this garbage.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2014, 6:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago Shawn View Post
McKinley Park is going to flip soon; very soon. For a long time, it has had a bad reputation for lots of gang activity but there was a ton of new investment leading up to the recession. The development cycle paused and its flooding in again. Like Bridgeport, its becoming alot more Chinese as time goes on. If I had the money to do so, I would be buying property there, right now. Its a cheap hood, but not for long.
Yeah, and really I don't think it's necessarily unsafe or anything. One thing I noticed with my census tract data is that the tracts that are adjacent to I-55 in Brighton Park are actually a lot more Asian than I thought. Not a big amount, but they are 7-9%. Same as the tract where Canaryville is (almost 10%). Very interesting..

By the way, there's a great mariscos (mexican seafood) place in McKinley Park.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2014, 1:12 PM
The City

^ Actually, come to think of it there was a lot of development on the south side (including Bronzeville, Woodlawn, etc) with plenty of projects in the pipeline just prior to the recession of 2008. At that time lenders were pretty loose with their money.

We have to remember that the major reason everything froze was not because these areas suddenly went to shit, but because the entire banking system did. That's why previously hot areas went shit crazy with rentals.

But the fundamentals are still there, and I still think that we will pick up where we left off (perhaps with a bit less of a frenzy) and in due time these south side neighborhoods will start to see new development again. A good sign of this is when people are paying decent prices for rehabbed properties in this area (ie not $50,000). In Tri-Taylor (another area to watch that froze up with the recession) I watched a run down 2 flat get snatched for 5 figures, rehabbed, and recently sold for somewhere in the $200+k range.

I certainly see more potential in these areas than that fantasy proposed at the South Work site by McCaffery

Old Posted Jan 10, 2014, 2:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Yeah, and really I don't think it's necessarily unsafe or anything. One thing I noticed with my census tract data is that the tracts that are adjacent to I-55 in Brighton Park are actually a lot more Asian than I thought. Not a big amount, but they are 7-9%. Same as the tract where Canaryville is (almost 10%). Very interesting..

By the way, there's a great mariscos (mexican seafood) place in McKinley Park.
If you are talking about this place http://www.lapalapamariscos.com/main/.

I totally agree.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2014, 3:22 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago Shawn View Post
It's not that cheap. I advised a Chinese friend of mine to buy there, but he couldn't manage to find a place he liked on his budget (~$280k) so he bought in Bronzeville instead.

Certainly it's not Lincoln Park, but it's not exactly bargain basement.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2014, 3:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post

I totally agree.
Yep! One of the great unknown spots of Chicago. Some of the food there is seriously fucking amazing.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2014, 3:49 PM

Quote:
^ Actually, come to think of it there was a lot of development on the south side (including Bronzeville, Woodlawn, etc) with plenty of projects in the pipeline just prior to the recession of 2008. At that time lenders were pretty loose with their money.

We have to remember that the major reason everything froze was not because these areas suddenly went to shit, but because the entire banking system did. That's why previously hot areas went shit crazy with rentals.

But the fundamentals are still there, and I still think that we will pick up where we left off (perhaps with a bit less of a frenzy) and in due time these south side neighborhoods will start to see new development again. A good sign of this is when people are paying decent prices for rehabbed properties in this area (ie not $50,000). In Tri-Taylor (another area to watch that froze up with the recession) I watched a run down 2 flat get snatched for 5 figures, rehabbed, and recently sold for somewhere in the $200+k range.

I certainly see more potential in these areas than that fantasy proposed at the South Work site by McCaffery
Very true. I think there was even a bunch of movement in areas like western Humboldt Park, East Garfield Park, North Lawndale, South Lawndale, etc right? It is very important to remember that it was due to the recession, not an area going to shit (though most of these areas aren't exactly safe everywhere - though there are safe parts and crime is improving in these areas too).

There is the former Sears HQ building in North Lawndale possibly being converted into 191 apartments (at least it got building permits - how the hell has this not made the news yet?) and possibly the entire area being converted into 800-1200 units. I know right north of it near the old gardens there are some nice newer homes/townhomes.

Sucks that things had to halt, but hoping they continue and these areas improve (again)

Old Posted Jan 10, 2014, 3:57 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post

I totally agree.
yeah, that place rocks! my wife and i actually stumbled upon it one evening driving back from midway and we gave it a try cause it looked funky and cool. what a pleasant surprise!

if you're looking for more traditional mexican food in the area, i would also recommend Tio Luis Tacos right down archer, a seriously awesome taqueria. though it's just west of western on archer so i think that's technically in brighton park (my southside neighborhood boundaries are a little foggy).

Old Posted Jan 10, 2014, 4:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
yeah, that place rocks! my wife and i actually stumbled upon it one evening driving back from midway and we gave it a try cause it looked funky and cool. what a pleasant surprise!
On top of their great food there, it should also be stated how their patio is one of the greater patios in Chicago and doesn't look like Chicago, but more of something you'd find next to an ocean.

Quote:
if you're looking for more traditional mexican food in the area, i would also recommend Tio Luis Tacos right down archer, a seriously awesome taqueria. though it's just west of western on archer so i think that's technically in brighton park (my southside neighborhood boundaries are a little foggy).
I saw it on Check, Please a few months back. The reviews were mixed, but some people just don't know good Mexican food when it hits them in the mouth. I want to try it it out.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2014, 4:12 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
On top of their great food there, it should also be stated how their patio is one of the greater patios in Chicago and doesn't look like Chicago.
absolutely! as soon as i saw the patio with the tiki huts and fake palms i said to my wife "we HAVE to check this place out".

Quote:
I saw it on Check, Please a few months back. The reviews were mixed, but some people just don't know good Mexican food when it hits them in the mouth. I want to try it it out.
i didn't see that episode. check please can be a decent resource to learn about ethnic hole-in-the-walls in unfamiliar hoods that you would otherwise never hear about, but the reviews from the people on the show are often useless to me cuz a lot of the people they put on the show are uptight yuppie morons who complain about the dumbest shit.

for me it's food, food, food, food food, food, food, food, food, food, food, food, food, food, food, food, food, food, food, food, food, food, service, ambiance, etc.

if a hole-in-the-wall has good food, i will overlook a crapload of other shortcomings. that's not the case for a lot of the pretentious nitwits they put on check please.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development