HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted May 12, 2023, 3:21 AM

Downtown Winnipeg | Developments & Discussions

https://engage.winnipeg.ca/centreplan2050

Quote:
City proposes massive changes in downtown redevelopment
CentrePlan 2050 would set annual targets for new residential units, reimagine Graham Avenue without buses, create new bike and pedestrian paths, slow traffic
Thursday, May. 11, 2023

A new vision to revitalize Winnipeg’s downtown pitches options to create new green space, calm traffic, reimagine Graham Avenue and attract new residents among its key goals.

Described as a blueprint to redevelop downtown, a preliminary version of CentrePlan 2050 released Thursday sets a target to ensure at least 350 new residential units get built in the city centre each year until 2030, followed by 500 annually after that.

That’s part of a much broader strategy to attract more residents and visitors.

The proposal floats ideas to create “ideal neighbourhood streets” with safe crossings for foot traffic, street trees, pedestrian lighting, on-street parking and narrow road lanes meant to help slow traffic.

“We want more people living in the downtown and staying in the downtown and not just driving through the downtown… I think now’s the time to have a conversation about pedestrian safety, cycling… transit and motor-vehicle traffic,” said Mayor Scott Gillingham.

“There’s a couple things I really want to see, (including) finding ways to add more green space in the downtown, finding more ways to redevelop surface parking lots and add the amenities to the downtown communities that people depend upon and rely upon in other communities across the city.”

The proposal doesn’t identify designated “neighbourhood” streets, though a city official suggested Edmonton and Kennedy could be included.

The city is also seeking input to design future bike routes in the areas of St. Mary and York avenues, Notre Dame and Cumberland avenues and William Stephenson Way and Graham Avenue.

Additional goals include attracting major grocery stores, planting trees, creating new parks, adding winter activities and increasing access to riverbanks.

It has been a busy week for proposals and discussions about inner-city Winnipeg’s future. The proposal’s release followed Wednesday’s unveiling by the Osborne Village BIZ of a multi-pronged plan to transform one of the city’s most densely-populated neighbourhoods. There have also been two public open houses staged by city planning department staff to get feedback and answer questions about a consultant’s report on a revitalization of the controversial Portage and Main corridor.

The project also aims to “reimagine” Graham Avenue, since the city expects buses will no longer use it within five to 10 years. The report notes car travel is already prohibited on several blocks. It suggests the avenue’s central location could serve as a key cycling connection and makes it “perfectly situated to be downtown’s signature open space.”

The report indicates motor-vehicle access on some sections of Graham, mostly where it is currently not allowed, is “to be determined.”

The future version of the street could incorporate some combination of: a “shared zone” with more room for pedestrians, cyclists and patios; a “green zone” with trees, plantings and recreation; and a “celebration zone” with a flexible space to accommodate street parties, food-truck festivals and active-transportation paths.

Richard Mahé, a senior downtown planner for the city, said Graham Avenue options could be considered “block by block.”

“As the buses leave, it gives us a really unique opportunity to rethink how we want to use that space for people,” he said, noting changes could still accommodate vehicles.

Mahé said the strategy acknowledges downtown has changed as more people continue to work from home.

“We saw a lot of progress in our downtown pre-pandemic, and the pandemic has exposed certain weaknesses in our downtown. We’ve had an (over-reliance) on the office worker to animate our downtown…. We need to provide more housing downtown and a broader range of different housing options to meet different needs,” he said.

While the online survey asks residents if they support efforts to “increase safety by reducing car speeds” downtown, Mahé said that’s not a current focus. The document also notes connector and corridor streets would be treated differently.

An urban-issues expert said Graham deserves special attention.

“Graham is one of these oddities of Winnipeg’s downtown,” said Jino Distasio, a professor of urban geography at the University of Winnipeg. “As a kid that has grown up in the downtown, I scratch my head because I have never understood what Graham Avenue was as a destination… that one, to me, needs help from (public) input to figure out.”

Distasio said all downtown routes should be designed to meet the needs of all forms of traffic.

“You have to have accessibility and the ability to efficiently and effectively move 50,000, 60,000 workers, students and visitors in the downtown but you also want to do it as safely as possible…. All of this is about scale and balance,” he said.

Kate Fenske, chief executive officer of the Downtown Winnipeg BIZ, said any changes should prioritize quality of life for the 18,000 people who currently live in the area and and help attract new residents.

“I think a lot of our streets downtown are treated like a thoroughfare. (This is) more about how… we design our downtown to be for people first,” she said. “That it’s not just a neighbourhood to pass through… that supports businesses as well,” said Fenske.

She believes the initial target to build 350 new homes in the area each year makes sense, since inflation and rising construction costs have recently made development more challenging.

Data shows 352 new residential units were built downtown in 2021, followed by 141 last year. A five-year average between 2017 and 2021 was notably higher at 454, but the number of units is “historically volatile,” partly because new homes tend to arrive through large, multi-year projects, city spokesman Kalen Qually said in an emailed statement.

While some drivers have expressed concern traffic-calming measures could snarl traffic, the head of council’s property and development committee said other cities have smoothly adopted similar changes.

“(As for) the bias… that it’s all going to slow down, I’ve watched other cities do this. Other cities have the same hesitation, the same concerns and then it just doesn’t happen,” said Coun. Sherri Rollins.

The new ideas should help guide the city to build a downtown “for everyone,” she said.

“They’re reimagining many streets in the downtown and, dare I say, even the potential to eliminate some…. Do we need that many or do we need more walkable malls, and so forth?” she said.

Winnipeggers can weigh in on the ideas in an online survey at winnipeg.ca/centreplan2050 until June 15 or attend an open house from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. on May 25 at Manitoba Hydro Place (360 Portage Ave.)
https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/lo...-redevelopment

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Instagram

Old Posted May 12, 2023, 1:44 PM

So where are the busses going to end up after Graham? By the description of the corridor streets, one could surmise that they hope to carve out lanes on Portage and/or Broadway. To my knowledge, there's really no timeline for anything like that per the transit master plan

Old Posted May 12, 2023, 1:47 PM

I don't put much stock in 20 or 30 year plans as they never materialize due to governments changing leaders every 8 years or so. 5 and 10 year plans are much more realistic to look at.

Old Posted May 12, 2023, 2:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audie View Post
So where are the busses going to end up after Graham? By the description of the corridor streets, one could surmise that they hope to carve out lanes on Portage and/or Broadway. To my knowledge, there's really no timeline for anything like that per the transit master plan
No timeline true but the plan is to carve out lanes on Portage and Main for rapid transit. Portage Ave will be a blue line extension and Main St will have a bit of the blue line until P/M intersection, and there will be a separate orange line that runs on Main/St Mary’s.

Old Posted May 12, 2023, 3:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebasketballgeek View Post
No timeline true but the plan is to carve out lanes on Portage and Main for rapid transit. Portage Ave will be a blue line extension and Main St will have a bit of the blue line until P/M intersection, and there will be a separate orange line that runs on Main/St Mary’s.
If you look at historical photos of the downtown, the streetcars used to run right down the middle of Portage Ave. Of course, that was when car traffic was a lot lighter, but it would seem to make sense to return some of that roadway space to rapid transit.

"Naysayers are always predicting the present"-Anon.

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength"-Eric Hoffer

Old Posted May 12, 2023, 4:00 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by pspeid View Post
If you look at historical photos of the downtown, the streetcars used to run right down the middle of Portage Ave. Of course, that was when car traffic was a lot lighter, but it would seem to make sense to return some of that roadway space to rapid transit.
Bring back the street cars I say.

On a separate note, I really do love the ideal neighbourhood street concept. Looks great with all the row houses. Let's encourage that sort of development now in the downtown-adjacent areas.
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted May 13, 2023, 9:59 PM

I am elated to read this and somewhat glad to see a refurbished Portage Place being redeveloped.
But, when you read between the lines, reimagine Graham ave sounds divine.... but ... noting reimagined for Portage ave except for medical, addiction services,1 medium sized residential tower... which I am not arguing but that is it. Not much long term or reimagined for the next 30 years for our 2 major thoroughfares? .
Portage and Main street to die out and fester?
I think The powers that be will concentrate on underdeveloped areas downtown, like Graham, side streets, empty lots... and just allow the 2 major, historical streets to fight for themselves.

Old Posted May 13, 2023, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAKGUY View Post
I am elated to read this and somewhat glad to see a refurbished Portage Place being redeveloped.
But, when you read between the lines, reimagine Graham ave sounds divine.... but ... noting reimagined for Portage ave except for medical, addiction services,1 medium sized residential tower... which I am not arguing but that is it. Not much long term or reimagined for the next 30 years for our 2 major thoroughfares? .
I think The powers that be will concentrate on underdeveloped areas downtown, like Graham, side streets, empty lots... and just allow the 2 major, historical streets to fight for themselves.
The city is looking for feedback on this plan, follow the link and submit your thoughts, observations and opinions.

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Instagram

Old Posted May 14, 2023, 5:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAKGUY View Post
After the failure of several huge publicly-backed projects to reverse the decline of Portage Avenue (Portage Place, Hydro Place, the arena), it's probably fair to say that Portage Avenue is not so much in fighting shape as it is in palliative care at this point. Main Street hasn't been a major hub of activity since the 70s, when that block was cleared to make way for Winnipeg Square.

It's great that some of the smaller side streets will continue to see development... Graham is moving in a positive direction and TNS has come together nicely. I just wish that some of that positive momentum would rub off on the main drags. They only ever seem to get worse and worse, it's like Portage peaked in the years before WWI and has been gradually declining for a hundred years ever since.

Old Posted May 15, 2023, 5:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
After the failure of several huge publicly-backed projects to reverse the decline of Portage Avenue (Portage Place, Hydro Place, the arena), it's probably fair to say that Portage Avenue is not so much in fighting shape as it is in palliative care at this point. Main Street hasn't been a major hub of activity since the 70s, when that block was cleared to make way for Winnipeg Square.

It's great that some of the smaller side streets will continue to see development... Graham is moving in a positive direction and TNS has come together nicely. I just wish that some of that positive momentum would rub off on the main drags. They only ever seem to get worse and worse, it's like Portage peaked in the years before WWI and has been gradually declining for a hundred years ever since.
True.a
It seems odd that going forward, I along with others, will be showing out of towners, tourists the splendor of Graham Avenue & mostly ignoring Portage Ave & Main street. I also wish that eventually there will be a spill over to Portage avenue.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2023, 7:23 PM

Provincial announcement of more funding for downtown Winnipeg safety.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manit...ipeg-1.6898723

Old Posted Jul 6, 2023, 7:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post

I hope that this additional funding doesn't just cover The Forks and the main commercial parts of downtown, but also the more impoverished areas as well, like up along North Main. There is certainly a lot of crime there and I think a lot more could be done to keep people in that area safe.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2023, 7:37 PM
What could go wrong?

Like I said in another thread - while in Chicago there were police cruisers and officers located every couple blocks. Where the streets are wide the cruisers sit in the medians. They were even on Michigan Ave. There were always police around and as mentioned it always felt safe.

We seem to have trouble keeping beat officers from disappearing after a while. If it can work in downtown Chicago, why can't it work here.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Jul 6, 2023, 8:06 PM

I was thinking the exact same thing today...
I had mentioned that about Chicago in the fall. I was shocked by the presence, but at the same time felt much safer. Sad that it comes to that.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2023, 8:16 PM

^ NYC is the same thing, it's been that way for years.

Winnipeg is still carrying on like it's 1982 and there's just a handful of drunks and the odd troublemaker to look out for. Things have changed and the streets are meaner than they used to be. There is definitely a need for an increased police presence in the downtown and surrounding areas.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2023, 8:49 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
Like I said in another thread - while in Chicago there were police cruisers and officers located every couple blocks. Where the streets are wide the cruisers sit in the medians. They were even on Michigan Ave. There were always police around and as mentioned it always felt safe.

We seem to have trouble keeping beat officers from disappearing after a while. If it can work in downtown Chicago, why can't it work here.
Walking the mean streets of downtown Winnipeg on the regular in the east exchange and down Portage/Main - the beat cops haven't disappeared - they just don't exist. And haven't for at least a decade in my experience.

We have such a bloated police bureaucracy, but somehow it doesn't allow for beat cops.

And you can guarantee if the request is made, they will need to hire about 100 more cops and require a 300 million dollar transit garage to budget for.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2023, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post

Beat cops being doubled from 24 to 48 and 75 cctv cameras to be installed similar to UK. This is a good step.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2023, 12:25 AM

More lanes to drive in and more cops to watch the people who can't afford to drive. That's all this city needs. /s

Old Posted Jul 7, 2023, 12:50 AM

Glenn Murray wanted beat cops downtown we got more beat cops. Downtown truly needs it as esquire mentioned its not 1982 anymore.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2023, 1:35 AM

^ I'd prefer if people behaved themselves and we could continue with the 1982 complement of police. But anyone who has been around downtown, especially after dark, realizes that's just not realistic anymore.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan