HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Apr 28, 2023, 7:23 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmecklenborg View Post
DJ'ing keeps getting technically easier and easier, yet the clout of people who press play on a laptop keeps getting greater.

Also, tattoos used to be reserved for ex-cons, navy vets, Holocaust survivors, and biker gangs. Now it's for...progressives.
Counterculture now is not having any tattoos.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2023, 7:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
Counterculture now is not having any tattoos.
Also, hair that isn't inspired by possums.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2023, 8:04 PM
Birds Aren't Real!

Quote:
DJ'ing keeps getting technically easier and easier, yet the clout of people who press play on a laptop keeps getting greater.

Also, tattoos used to be reserved for ex-cons, navy vets, Holocaust survivors, and biker gangs. Now it's for...progressives.
Cool story, bro.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2023, 1:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muertecaza View Post
I think sports will continue to be a big driver of regional identity. Some people talk about younger fans being fans of "players" more so than teams, but I perceive that as being the minority. I think most sports fans really identify with their home teams.
Social media and the player-empowerment movement (especially in the NBA) has probably enhanced that factor, but I also think that’s just a young person thing. As a kid in the 90s I had posters/memorabilia on my wall for John Elway, Mark McGuire, Randy Moss, and an assortment of NBA players. My team fandom really solidified in high school.

So I agree that sports will still a big driver of regional identity.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2023, 5:28 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Also, hair that isn't inspired by possums.
i remember A LOT of my peers back in the '90s doing stupid things with their hair and getting tatoos too, so those things are hardly some exclusive marker for 2020's youth culture "cool".

afterall, kids will be kids.

making (and hopefully learning from) poor decisions are how we all eventually grow up (or not).

Old Posted Apr 29, 2023, 6:13 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
i remember A LOT of my peers back in the '90s doing stupid things with their hair and getting tatoos too, so those things are hardly some exclusive marker for 2020's youth culture "cool".

afterall, kids will be kids.

making (and hopefully learning from) poor decisions are how we all eventually grow up (or not).
Definitely bad hair fads back then... I had an epic mullet in the early 90's but the tattoo phenomena is totally different now. It was still counterculture then thus relatively rare and usually with good ink. Now everywhere with a lot of them looking like scribble on the men's room wall.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2023, 6:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsicum View Post
In some threads, there is talk about how legacy media (e.g. cross-border cities like Buffalo, NY/the Greater Toronto Area) still united major areas with TV and radio stations based on geographical proximity.
I definitely would not know the names "Tonawanda" and "Lackawanna" (and use them in the occasional joke) had I not lived in Toronto for a couple of years when I was a kid decades ago. We watched local Buffalo TV news (Channel 4, I seem to remember) every evening. Plus, thanks to Canadian broadcasting regulations, I got to watch my favorite American TV shows twice a week!

Old Posted Apr 29, 2023, 7:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipster duck View Post
Toronto is fundamentally a different place to younger generations than to older generations. It's blacker and browner, has a local patois, it's a basketball city.

To older generations, Toronto is a city of hockey, Canadian stereotypes, and white, male cultural icons like Rush, the Kids in the Hall, Barenaked Ladies, etc.
My family lived up there right at the end of the "Toronto the Good" days. My mom was quite amused when she saw curtains in the windows of Eatons drawn on Sundays because it was "sinful" to window shop on the sabbath.

Last edited by bilbao58; Apr 30, 2023 at 1:31 AM.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2023, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyRising View Post
I've live in the Philly area my whole life and never heard that term until the last 10-12 years and never heard anyone use it.
That's because it's basically that old. I see it on social media. It's kind of ironic slang, which is how you can tell when someone is using it properly.

The Lehigh Valley IronPigs played a game as the Jawn in 2019, and I think they have done it once or twice since then.

https://news.sportslogos.net/2019/06...jawn/baseball/

Old Posted May 1, 2023, 12:40 AM
¥ ¥ ¥

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
Definitely bad hair fads back then... I had an epic mullet in the early 90's but the tattoo phenomena is totally different now. It was still counterculture then thus relatively rare and usually with good ink. Now everywhere with a lot of them looking like scribble on the men's room wall.

Yeah tattoos were so much better in the 90s.

Old Posted May 1, 2023, 1:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyRonin View Post
Yeah tattoos were so much better in the 90s.

Tattoos are far more common today. And they still make you look like you're starved for cheap attention.

Old Posted May 1, 2023, 3:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonsai Tree View Post
I think the biggest fight for the younger generations is actually suburbs vs city, even though we're all part of one big region (I get why people get upset over it, but is it really that big of a deal?).
I think the suburbs vs. city thing has more to do with people who never lived in the city, moved to Phoenix, Dallas or Tampa, and then gloat about the fact that they left the "city" and it's Libtard agenda in the dust. . . I think you can basically say that for Chicago, Detroit, Philidelphia, Cleveland or any other Rust Belt city. . .

Most people don't think that much about it. . . I mean, we do, but it's not really a talking point unless you're getting very specific for logistical reasons. . .

. . .

Old Posted May 2, 2023, 12:43 AM
Unicorn Wizard!

While I think cities will become culturally detached from their region, I think there are factions or leagues of cities that have their own thing going.

There are elite or expensive cities like SF, Boston, NYC, DC, have migration and cultural links between them but not necessarily to them from elsewhere in the US. The big sunbelt cities like Atlanta and Houston have a similar thing. Then there are places like Austin and Nashville that draw from the same demographic and cultural forces. Or Detroit, Cleveland, Indy, etc.

Quote:
has more to do with people who never lived in the city, moved to Phoenix, Dallas or Tampa, and then gloat about the fact that they left the "city" and it's Libtard agenda in the dust.
I'd say though that if you are younger than 40 and you are originally from a sunbelt city you don't have a city-vs-suburb mindset. You probably see a place like Dallas as being a bunch of different areas which are neither stereotypically urban nor suburban in the old school sense.

There's a phenomena in Texas where people who were born in the state are slightly less conservative than transplants from elsewhere. Some of the most aggressively right-wing and culturally insular and suburban-minded places like The Woodlands or Southlake are full of Californians who moved.

Old Posted May 2, 2023, 2:26 AM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamaorama View Post
I'd say though that if you are younger than 40 and you are originally from a sunbelt city you don't have a city-vs-suburb mindset. You probably see a place like Dallas as being a bunch of different areas which are neither stereotypically urban nor suburban in the old school sense.
I'm Gen X (over 40) and this is true with our outlook as well. I lived in Missouri City and the Heights growing up and all of it was just 'Houston'.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2023, 2:25 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Yeah, I don't find that Canada really has much of an "inside track" over the US when it comes to British culture anymore. I think that may have existed at some point in the past, but it's been gone for several generations. Canadians aren't into soccer these days because we had Queen Elizabeth on our money. And Canadians got into Downton Abbey around the same time as Americans did.

Before streaming services like Netflix existed, the exposure Canadians got to British television was often from PBS stations beamed in from the US, via programs like Masterpiece Theatre.

Now, places like Australia and New Zealand do have an "inside track" on British culture, and are quite different from Canada in this respect.
Thinking of this matter over the weekend, as if you were in Canada and wanted to watch the UEFA Champions League final between Manchester City and Inter Milan, you had to watch it on US network CBS.

No Canadian network carried the game AFAIK.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2023, 5:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
I think people younger than 40 are much more likely to recognize "jawn" regardless of what city they live in. They're even more likely to recognize it if they pay any type of attention to Black focused media.
I had to google the definition of "jawn", but I am well past 40.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2023, 5:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by austlar1 View Post
I had to google the definition of "jawn", but I am well past 40.
I am well below 40, I have never heard that term

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions