HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

View Poll Results: How many people will inhabit the Winnipeg CMA in 2026?
850,000-874,999 4 9.09%
875,000-889,000 9 20.45%
890,000-904,999 17 38.64%
905,000+ 14 31.82%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Dec 22, 2022, 2:45 PM

^ There was an article in the Free Press last month, can't remember the specifics, but it spoke to the idea that housing starts were significantly below where they should be in light of population growth and that there was a housing crunch looming. These new population figures would seem to support that.

It would be nice to see that new housing spread out around the city including the older parts, and not just concentrated all in the outer suburbs with a smattering in Osborne Village/Fort Rouge.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2022, 3:05 PM
the first stamp is free

Once pricing normalizes with trades and materials, and developers figure out a new construction system that works with these increased costs, it will get going again.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2022, 3:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ There was an article in the Free Press last month, can't remember the specifics, but it spoke to the idea that housing starts were significantly below where they should be in light of population growth and that there was a housing crunch looming. These new population figures would seem to support that.

It would be nice to see that new housing spread out around the city including the older parts, and not just concentrated all in the outer suburbs with a smattering in Osborne Village/Fort Rouge.
Well permit activity is down 10% and construction of units is down a ridiculous 30%.

How do we have such a substantial decline in construction within a year when last year we were stagnant and this year we are essentially booming? I'm gonna assume inflation has played a big role in that. Although if we keep growing at this rate at some point the city will have no other option then to densify the old neighbourhoods and Downtown.

Burrows, Inkster, Jubilee, Corydon, Academy, Ness, Kildare, Warde, and Leila are just a few examples of streets that could use immediate densification just because of their proximity too services. All it needs is too replace a few single-family homes and add some moderate density on these roads.

What they're doing on St. Mary's and St. Anne's should be replicated everywhere in the city that has potential to be a high street. The transformation those 2 streets have had this last decade is remarkable, and all it took was replacing a few single-family houses with low rise apartments and first floor commercial fronting the street.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2022, 3:13 PM

Just throwing this out there, but I recall that the last time there was population growth without the housing starts to match, we actually saw more focus on people buying in the inner city, fixing up houses, etc. This would have been in the mid/late 2000s. It was a time of change and rejuvenation in places like West Broadway, the West End, Riverview and older inner suburb areas. Then once new subdivisions began sprouting up en masse in the 2010s, that momentum was seemingly lost.

Maybe it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world if people were directed to existing housing stock, or at least, as thebasketballgeek noted, to infill development in older areas?

Old Posted Dec 22, 2022, 3:32 PM

We've had 6 new hires at my place work in past 9 months (basic office, accountants, IT) 2 are lifelong Winnipegers other 4 arrived in past 1 years. 1 Iran, 2 Philippines, 1 Ethiopia. Small representation, but It goes to show you what is occurring. Great for them and great for Winnipeg

Old Posted Dec 22, 2022, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackDog204 View Post
I heard Canada, and Manitoba as well, have already attracted more immigrants than any year in their history. Expect most of the immigrants (20,000+ from what I hear) to settle in Winnipeg. Winnipeg can expect to gain 15,000 people in 2022.

Edit: https://www150.statcan.gc.ca/t1/tbl1...pid=1710000901

Stats Can has just come out with Q3 in provincial population. Manitoba gained 12,003 people from July 1 to October 1, and 24,798 since October 1, 2021.

That's pretty incredible, and with each passing quarter, we seem to be gaining more and more. Don't be suprised when all is said and done, Manitoba could be looking at gaining over 30,000 people for the year 2022. Considering 2/3 of the growth is in the Winnipeg captial region, we could see an increase of 20,000 people, putting the Winnipeg CMA over 870,000 people.
Manitoba only ahead of Quebec and Newfoundland and Labrador (and all the territories) in terms of percentage increase. Canada overall added 2.25%; Manitoba 1.78%.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2022, 12:07 AM

Manitoba has done comparatively well over the past decade or so in terms of net international migration. Our biggest issue, and I've said this many times, is retaining the existing population - we have some of the biggest numbers of interprovincial out-migration, and this is a massive problem. We certainly don't have a problem attracting migrants to our province, but we have a problem keeping people here.

If current population is a bucket, we have a pretty big hose pouring into the bucket (migration), but also a sizeable hole at the bottom of the bucket leaking people to other provinces.

If Manitoba didn't have such big out-migration problems, we'd probably have an extra 200,000 to 300,000 people living here.

People leave for all sorts of reasons, some of which we cannot control (weather, family, topography), but others we can have control over like wage growth (maybe), quality of post-secondary education, quality of public services, and infrastructure.

Also, there seems to be a sort of Newtonian rule going on with population growth in Manitoba; the faster we grow, it seems the faster people leave in the years that follow. I think our infrastructure (roads, hospitals, schools, universities, public transit) is kind of capped out in some areas which leaves people leaving for greener grass once they come to the realization after a few years. Just speculation, though. Hard to find anything other than speculation when it comes to interprovincial migration, unfortunately. It's not like we survey people on why they leave or anything.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2022, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gm0ney View Post
Manitoba only ahead of Quebec and Newfoundland and Labrador (and all the territories) in terms of percentage increase. Canada overall added 2.25%; Manitoba 1.78%.
Not surprising considering our crime, climate, business climate challenges

Old Posted Dec 23, 2022, 4:04 AM

Anecdotally, the people I know who have left Winnipeg have done so for one or more of three main reasons: ability to earn more/advance their careers elsewhere, desire for a 'big city' life that Winnipeg can't provide, personal reasons (partners, family, etc).

Old Posted Dec 23, 2022, 8:23 AM

Population growth is an opportunity to remedy many of the issues Winnipeg faces. For example, many immigrants are used to density/walkability in the areas they come from. This presents an opportunity to convert vacant office space in downtown and other urban areas into residential space and create more infill development.

In addition, a lot of out-migration is due to the desire of young residents to live in a modern, clean, and energetic city. Winnipeg needs to focus on revitalizing its core for example by promoting small businesses, recreating a downtown shopping district, major grocer downtown, promoting Exchange District/Osborne Village and by marketing itself (Heartbeat of Canada, clean, affordable, stable economy, lake country, etc.). Winnipeg may not boom like Calgary, but it doesn't need to. Once a critical mass is created in its core, the momentum will allow Winnipeg to flourish.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2022, 2:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
Crime isn't really a deterrent to living in Winnipeg. It's not like we are Detroit. Move Winnipeg into the US, and we would be one of the safest cities. As for climate, it is not that much different in Winnipeg than Edmonton, and Edmonton has been one of the fastest growing cities in North America in the 21st century.

Most people living in Winnipeg have a cynical attitude, and can't be bothered to improve the city. Whether it be business, development, etc. It's much different elsewhere.

Last edited by BlackDog204; Dec 25, 2022 at 11:26 AM.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2022, 3:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
Atrial78 already kinda covered this with their excellent comment but yeah, these are not the reasons we lose people. Out-migration is almost entirely young people who want walkability, active transportation, good transit, nightlife and a vibrant inner city. Unfortunately policy here is dominated by old people who just want to ignore those things and throw billions of dollars into roads.

This is actually one reason I think it's great that we're seeing mostly multi-family stuff being built and single-family is moving outside of the city. Let those people have their 3-car garages out in Ile des Chenes and keep them out of Winnipeg elections, bring in younger apartment-dwellers instead.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2022, 3:37 PM

A lot of of the points made were excellent, but I think one factor that is missing with our interprovincial emigration is that there are many people (immigrants especially) who viewed housing as an investment and want to get a huge surplus in income that came from Canada’s absurd housing market. Two of my friends and their family moved to a Toronto suburb about 10 years ago and were flipping houses until covid.

Now as the housing crash starts to occur in our largest cities and the Canadian economy goes to deep shit, I think we will see more interprovincial migration strictly from people who just can’t afford to live in those cities anymore. I know the recession will impact Winnipeg, but I don’t think it will be as substantial as what people in Toronto or Vancouver feel.

That being said Winnipeg needs to at some point needs to take initiative and ensure the growth we’ll be expecting doesn’t go to waste at the edge of the city. The suburban model has proven to clearly be unsuccessful and it’s time to head into another direction.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2022, 8:26 PM

[QUOTE=Atrial78;9823280]Population growth is an opportunity to remedy many of the issues Winnipeg faces. For example, many immigrants are used to density/walkability in the areas they come from. This presents an opportunity to convert vacant office space in downtown and other urban areas into residential space and create more infill development.

A big step would be insentivising people to purchase and improve homes in places such as the West and North End. The amount of derelict and burned out homes is staggering and if this continues there will be no turning back. The process of purchasing and renovating or infilling these properties needs to be streamlined and encouraged to the point its worth the risk. If we can make it an inexpensive leap to home ownership people will embrace that.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2022, 9:54 PM

Quote:
Crime isn't really a deterrent to living in Winnipeg. It's not like we are Detroit. Move Winnipeg into the US, and we would be one of the safest cities. As for climate, it is not that much different in Winnipeg than Edmonton, and Edmonton has been one of the fastest growing cities in North America in the 21st century.
The fact we are not as bad as some cities in the US should be no consilation. Some of their cities are on a third world level when it comes to crime. Compared to other Canadian cities and cities in most Western countries, Winnipeg is a disaster when it comes to crime. Being cynical about the city is not good but neither is being conformist or playing things down.

[QUOTE=EastK;9823668]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atrial78 View Post

A big step would be insentivising people to purchase and improve homes in places such as the West and North End. The amount of derelict and burned out homes is staggering and if this continues there will be no turning back. The process of purchasing and renovating or infilling these properties needs to be streamlined and encouraged to the point its worth the risk. If we can make it an inexpensive leap to home ownership people will embrace that.
I agree but it would be a hard sell.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2022, 1:53 AM

The city needs to reduce the vacant building tax from starting at 5 years to 3-6 months, similar to other cities in Canada. The revenue can be directed at crime prevention and affordable housing.

Old Posted Dec 25, 2022, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luisito View Post
The fact we are not as bad as some cities in the US should be no consilation. Some of their cities are on a third world level when it comes to crime. Compared to other Canadian cities and cities in most Western countries, Winnipeg is a disaster when it comes to crime. Being cynical about the city is not good but neither is being conformist or playing things down.
Crime is really not that bad. It's not like it's driving people away in droves. I've lived in four Western Canadian cities, and I can say the crime in Winnipeg is not noticeably worse than Edmonton or Red Deer. Even Calgary's crime rate seems to have risen from 10 years ago.

Winnipeg is not even close to third world crime. Perception of crime always tends to be worse than actual crime numbers. Keep in mind the crime rate in North America (up until the mid 2010s) had been declining since 1991, and even today, crime is not as bad as it was in the 70s, 80s and 90s. Through life experiences, I find that if one steers clear of vices, and does not get involved in gangs or shady activity, their chances of being a victim of crime drops dramatically. I can honestly say that when I grew up in Winnipeg, the worst that happened to me was having my bikes stolen, or minor vandalism to property.

It's the same in any city. If you don't look for trouble, and know how to properly de-escalate any potential threat, your chances of being a victim falls off.

Last edited by BlackDog204; Dec 26, 2022 at 7:11 AM.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2022, 4:05 PM

Quote:
Crime is really not that bad. It's not like it's driving people away in droves. I've lived in four Western Canadian cities, and I can say the crime in Winnipeg is not noticeably worse than Edmonton or Red Deer. Even Calgary's crime rate seems to have risen from 10 years ago.

Winnipeg is not even close to third world crime. Perception of crime always tends to be worse than actual crime numbers. Keep in mind the crime rate in North America (up until the mid 2010s) had been declining since 1991, and even today, crime is not as bad as it was in the 70s, 80s and 90s. Through life experiences, I find that if one steers clear of vices, and does not get involved in gangs or shady activity, their chances of being a victim of crime drops dramatically. I can honestly say that when I grew up in Winnipeg, the worst that happened to me was having my bikes stolen, or minor vandalism to property.

It's the same in any city. If you don't look for trouble, and know how to properly de-escalate any potential threat, your chances of being a victim falls off.

I never said Winnipeg is close to a third world country. I said many US cities are. So it should be no comfort or consilation we are not as bad as them. Yet if we compare to WInnipeg to two other Canadian cities of similar size yes we are doing bad, really bad. Quebec city has 1 homicide this year and Hamiliton 3. Where is WInnipeg at, 50? A new record, Second only behind Canadas biggest city, and we even have more than them if we break it down per capita. So tell me where exactly is the wrong perception here?? Do we want to talk about property crime, theft, drug abuse and overdoses?

Just because you never had much issues doesn't mean other people don't. What happened in the past is irrelevant. I drove up Main yesterday and not a single bus shelter was intact for kilometers. How is this normal in Canada? I too have lived in other provinces including Canadas two biggest cities.

I am not saying this to shit on Winnipeg, I actually really like WInnipeg and would like to see it improve. I know it can do better. But it is this conformist attitude that is holding the city back. We can do better.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2022, 6:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardTH View Post
Atrial78 already kinda covered this with their excellent comment but yeah, these are not the reasons we lose people. Out-migration is almost entirely young people who want walkability, active transportation, good transit, nightlife and a vibrant inner city. Unfortunately policy here is dominated by old people who just want to ignore those things and throw billions of dollars into roads.
Along with better employment prospects, in my experience, this is entirely correct.

Last edited by BlackDog204; Dec 26, 2022 at 6:44 PM.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2022, 6:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luisito View Post
I never said Winnipeg is close to a third world country. I said many US cities are. So it should be no comfort or consilation we are not as bad as them. Yet if we compare to WInnipeg to two other Canadian cities of similar size yes we are doing bad, really bad. Quebec city has 1 homicide this year and Hamiliton 3. Where is WInnipeg at, 50? A new record, Second only behind Canadas biggest city, and we even have more than them if we break it down per capita. So tell me where exactly is the wrong perception here?? Do we want to talk about property crime, theft, drug abuse and overdoses?
Drug abuse and overdoses should not be lumped into a rant about crime. They are mental health issues.

I'm not sure why I bother, but ask 1,000 people about why people who are under 40 leave Winnipeg for other regions of Canada, and crime would not be one of the main reasons for their departure. Western Canada has always had a higher crime rate than Ontario, Quebec, and Atlantic Canada, yet if we observe inter-provincial migration patterns for the past 50 years, Alberta has the highest net positive rate of migration, followed by British Columbia. Alberta and BC are 3rd and 4th, respectively, in terms of crime.

It should also be noted that a significant number of Atlantic Canadians migrate to Western Canada, especially Alberta. Atlantic Canada has the lowest crime rate of all regions in Canada. Alberta is a prairie province, which has the highest rate of crime in Canada.

Last edited by BlackDog204; Dec 26, 2022 at 9:21 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan