HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Mar 21, 2020, 12:04 AM
Community Guy

COVID 19 - local discussions

City enacts further measures to protect and assist citizens
March 20, 2020

The City of Edmonton is taking new measures to enhance safety and assist Edmontonians in response to the COVID-19 pandemic. These new measures will be implemented until further notice or until additional direction is provided by City Council.

Suspension of Transit Fares and Access Through Rear Doors
Effective March 21, The City of Edmonton will temporarily suspend fare collection on all Edmonton Transit Service buses, LRT and DATS service. In addition, all entry (unless otherwise required) will be through the rear doors only.

Suspending fares adds another layer of protection for our Operators as it eliminates the need for cash and transfer handling, thereby minimizing contact with others and increasing social distancing measures. Changes in fare collection are in response to keeping the community safe, and are not intended to encourage increased use of transit services.

Suspension of Parking Fees in City-owned Parking Lots
Effective March 21, 2020, parking fees in the EPark parking system, curbside and in City of Edmonton lots, will be suspended. This will encourage safe movement around the city.

2020 Property Tax Payments
No late penalties will be charged to tax payments made by September 30. In regular circumstances, interest would be charged for accounts not paid by July 30. More information will be available before tax notices are mailed in May.

Deferral of Utility Payments
The City is working with the Alberta Utility Commission and utility partners on a deferral program and has recommended a deferral period of March 18 to June 18, 2020. The City is committed to ensuring no interest or fees are charged and no utilities are cut off during this period, even for customers in arrears.

Edmonton EXPO Centre to open for vulnerable population
The City of Edmonton, in partnership with Alberta Health Services and Homeward Trust, is working to open the Edmonton EXPO Centre to provide shelter and support for vulnerable populations. The opening date for this facility will be announced in the coming days.

City Hall Closure
The City has made the decision to close City Hall effective immediately for the public. Edmonton joins a number of other Canadian cities that have closed their City Hall buildings as a safety measure during the COVID-19 pandemic. This decision was made to ensure the safety of the public and employees during this health emergency.

Council and Committee meetings have been suspended until April 27, 2020 with the exception of a Council Meeting on March 30, 2020.

The City of Edmonton will provide additional details and communications related to these measures in the coming days both online and through media briefings.

For more information:
edmonton.ca/covid-19

Media contact:
Suzzette Mellado
Communications Advisor
Communications and Engagement
780-914-5074

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Mar 21, 2020, 12:37 AM
Community Guy

News Release - City of Edmonton declares State of Local Emergency
March 20, 2020

The City of Edmonton has declared a State of Local Emergency as the COVID-19 pandemic becomes more urgent and the need to protect the public increases. The measure helps to expedite decision making and ensure City operational decisions are centralized, prioritized and coordinated.

The State of Local Emergency will further support the Province of Alberta’s Public Health Emergency which was declared on March 17.

The City’s response will allow the reallocation of resources and adjustment of services to properly respond to the pandemic. This means the City has the tools and decision-making power necessary to protect its most vulnerable populations.

"This is an unprecedented situation for our City, and declaring a state of local emergency allows us to manage this situation in the most effective way possible," said Mayor Don Iveson. “It also allows us to put additional measures and resources in place to ensure that our city’s most vulnerable people are not left behind during this crisis.”

With a State of Local Emergency declared, the Emergency Advisory Committee functions primarily in an advisory role. The Director of the Emergency Management Agency, in this case the Interim City Manager, leads the Emergency Management Agency in enacting these powers and responsibilities:

Putting the emergency plan into operation
Acquiring and using necessary property
Authorizing qualified people to render aid
Controlling travel to, from and within Edmonton
Restoring essential facilities, distributing essential supplies, coordinating essential services
Evacuating people and animals
Entering buildings without warrant for emergency purposes
Demolishing plants, trees or structures to prevent or deal with a disaster
Procuring or fixing prices for essential supplies

The Emergency Advisory Committee -- consisting of City Council and the Mayor -- met this afternoon, and accepted the advice of the Emergency Management Agency -- whose members include the Interim City Manager, Deputy City Managers, the City Solicitor, the Edmonton Police Chief, the Chief of Edmonton Fire Rescue Services, and the Director of the Office of Emergency Management -- to call a state of local emergency.

”Our priority is to maintain essential services for the health and wellbeing of Edmontonians,” said Interim City Manager Adam Laughlin. “The actions taken by the City of Edmonton in responding to the pandemic will equip us to do that.”
The State of Local Emergency will be in effect for seven days, unless renewed beyond seven days or terminated earlier. This is the first time a State of Local Emergency has been declared in Edmonton.

For more information:
edmonton.ca/COVID-19

Media contact:
Suzzette Mellado
Communications Advisor
Communications and Engagement
780-914-5074

Old Posted Mar 25, 2020, 4:07 PM
Community Guy

Old Posted Mar 28, 2020, 9:07 PM

I ventured out the last couple of days for some shopping. This was my experience so I thought I would share.

1st was to Costco on South Side on Thursday. There was a small line up of 20 people, most with carts. Socially distant from each other and the line moved fast. We were in the store in about 3 minutes. In talking with the Costco guy telling people what items were left , he said they had a line up at 9 am that went half around the store. We got to Costco around 10:30.
We did not need any but there was both Costco and some other brand of toilet paper available. More than I thought would be available. Lots of space to maneuver and I did not see people hoarding though there are limits placed on items now. Interestingly, seen very few people with TP in their carts. No sampling of various food items going on.
Check out line was smaller and only 1 cart or group that your in are allowed at the check out till at a time. They had lines on the floor to show where you need to wait.
Usually going to Costco is a free for all but this was civilized. However, I would trade that in for the craziness instead of what is going on with the virus.

I needed a router, figured Best Buy in the South East was best place as best price for what I wanted. For some reason, I thought they were open and I could go into the store but there would be a limit on who enters. They are open but your not allowed into the store. Most people pre purchased their item and showed up to collect. I was still able to ask for the router while in a line up as they had in stock. Everyone was social distancing. To pay, they had a couple of tills set up just inside. There was a 6 foot table separating you from a person. I was there on Friday around 2 pm. There was a steady amount of people but usually 2 -3 people in line at any time. Very Quick. Just a heads up as you probably want to pre-purchase. Interestingly, they were out of webcams and nearly out of chrome books.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2020, 10:42 PM
Urbis Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredGuy View Post
I ventured out the last couple of days for some shopping. This was my experience so I thought I would share.

1st was to Costco on South Side on Thursday. There was a small line up of 20 people, most with carts. Socially distant from each other and the line moved fast. We were in the store in about 3 minutes. In talking with the Costco guy telling people what items were left , he said they had a line up at 9 am that went half around the store. We got to Costco around 10:30.
We did not need any but there was both Costco and some other brand of toilet paper available. More than I thought would be available. Lots of space to maneuver and I did not see people hoarding though there are limits placed on items now. Interestingly, seen very few people with TP in their carts. No sampling of various food items going on.
Check out line was smaller and only 1 cart or group that your in are allowed at the check out till at a time. They had lines on the floor to show where you need to wait.
Usually going to Costco is a free for all but this was civilized. However, I would trade that in for the craziness instead of what is going on with the virus.

I needed a router, figured Best Buy in the South East was best place as best price for what I wanted. For some reason, I thought they were open and I could go into the store but there would be a limit on who enters. They are open but your not allowed into the store. Most people pre purchased their item and showed up to collect. I was still able to ask for the router while in a line up as they had in stock. Everyone was social distancing. To pay, they had a couple of tills set up just inside. There was a 6 foot table separating you from a person. I was there on Friday around 2 pm. There was a steady amount of people but usually 2 -3 people in line at any time. Very Quick. Just a heads up as you probably want to pre-purchase. Interestingly, they were out of webcams and nearly out of chrome books.
Well, unless we go into a complete lock down (which I hope we don't), this will be the 'new norm' for awhile.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2020, 5:33 AM

I went to Best Buy on March 20 to pick up a laptop that I purchased on March 16 for my son's birthday. They were only allowing one person at a time in the store back then as I was relieved to pick it up because I was worried the store would close before it got shipped. That last thing I need is a kid bored out of his mind at home and something that will help him with online learning in the future. Aside from that my family is doing alright, I still have a job that is considered essential while my wife might be out of a job on Monday. Lost a ton of money in the stock market though.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2020, 5:18 PM

https://globalnews.ca/news/6817377/e...erta-covid-19/

The City has sent a wish list to the Province for projects totalling 2.1 billion dollars, including:

Infill development: 10-100M
Flood mitigation: 500M
Infrastructure renewal: 100M
South LRT: 600M
Lewis Farms rec centre: 350M
Coronation rec centre: 150M
Small business revitalization: 10M

Let's see if Kenney decides to entertain some of those asks.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2020, 5:44 PM
A Better Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by foolworm View Post
https://globalnews.ca/news/6817377/e...erta-covid-19/

The City has sent a wish list to the Province for projects totalling 2.1 billion dollars, including:

Infill development: 10-100M
Flood mitigation: 500M
Infrastructure renewal: 100M
South LRT: 600M
Lewis Farms rec centre: 350M
Coronation rec centre: 150M
Small business revitalization: 10M

Let's see if Kenney decides to entertain some of those asks.
The Global article states the South LRT portion is for 'down to Ellerslie'. I wonder if this will be phased constructed of the extension, with the portion to Allard/Derochers coming in a later phase?

Old Posted Apr 15, 2020, 7:35 PM
Community Guy

^it has been a future/next phase for about 5-7yrs now... to the new hospital and park and ride.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2020, 8:00 PM
A Better Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
^it has been a future/next phase for about 5-7yrs now... to the new hospital and park and ride.
Gotcha. The park and ride should take a lot of the stress off of Century Park once it opens. I wonder how much use the Twin Brooks station will get, however.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2020, 8:20 PM
Community Guy

I'd just rough that one in to be honest... but great to see more options for more people.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2020, 9:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
The Global article states the South LRT portion is for 'down to Ellerslie'. I wonder if this will be phased constructed of the extension, with the portion to Allard/Derochers coming in a later phase?
https://globalnews.ca/news/3464085/c...-edmonton-50m/

It seems to be the case - certainly, the amount of the ask matches the phase 1 cost.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2020, 6:44 PM
Suburban dweller

Location: Calgary - our road planners are as bad as yours Edmonton
Great to see Edmonton being pro active in taking this to the Province. Hoping Calgary will do the same, as well as the smaller cities and communities. If we are going go ahead with an infrastructure program it should be for projects that communities want.

Albert Einstein

Old Posted Apr 18, 2020, 6:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubicon View Post
Great to see Edmonton being pro active in taking this to the Province. Hoping Calgary will do the same, as well as the smaller cities and communities. If we are going go ahead with an infrastructure program it should be for projects that communities want.
I'm pretty sure the Province has already asked municipalities to compile lists of potential stimulus (i.e. shovel-ready) projects prior to the letter. Calgary is already putting together a list, it's just that Edmonton hit send first (or told the press it did).

I wouldn't hold my breath though - a lot of fiscal firepower is required and Alberta might not be able to afford it. In any case, municipalities themselves need cash infusions now to keep the lights on and essential services running - capital stimulus can come later.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2020, 6:57 PM
Community Guy

Old Posted Apr 23, 2020, 7:28 PM

Quote:
why no "none of the above"?

i'm most looking forward to be able to go back to work in an environment where there is business to be done.

a close second would be seeing our schools - at all levels - and our institutions back delivering what both they and we need.

a close third would simply be carrying on conversations in person.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2020, 7:29 PM

Quote:
Where have you heard that we're getting closer to phased openings?

Old Posted Apr 23, 2020, 7:34 PM
Community Guy

^we are closer than further away I'd say.

Given the numbers, I could see a June 1 -phase1 of expanded openings, partial capacities etc.

July 1 the same

Aug 1 a little more

Sept 1 our new normal...

*huge asterix

Old Posted Apr 23, 2020, 7:42 PM

Quote:
^we are closer than further away I'd say.

Given the numbers, I could see a June 1 -phase1 of expanded openings, partial capacities etc.

July 1 the same

Aug 1 a little more

Sept 1 our new normal...

*huge asterix
Ahh ok.

Edmonton for sure. Our neighbours to the south, Calgary, may not be as fortunate I have to think.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2020, 9:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimB09 View Post
Ahh ok.

Edmonton for sure. Our neighbours to the south, Calgary, may not be as fortunate I have to think.
alberta's statistics at the moment equate to 15 deaths per million, canada's to 56 deaths per million.

the us is at 142 deaths per million and sweden with their grand experiment to isolate those who are high risk and let herd immunity develop in the rest of the populations is at 192 deaths per million and rising.

meanwhile singapore - whose population is roughly 1.5 times alberta's - is 2.14 deaths per million (and no, that's not a typo, that's 2 point 14 per million). singapore is experimenting at the other level of control and just extended their full lockdown (they're calling it a reset) to june 1.

of the two extremes, i know which one i would prefer my city/province/country to emulate on my behalf and on behalf of my children and grandchildred until there is a vaccine and/or more successful treatment options and methodologies.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton