HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Mar 21, 2023, 5:55 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWalk99 View Post
Despite it being 9 months since the last official update it seems like this one is still in the works maybe? Hyatt just finalized its acquisition of the Dream brand a couple weeks ago but despite that this project is still referenced on both the Dream website and the article I read (calling it a future Dream location).

Who knows about the rest of the residential/office buildings they had planned along with this one though.. maybe they are anticipating more development once the "Link" project is negotiated
It's still on the architect's website, for whatever that's worth.

https://www.cube3.com/portfolio_page/riverplace/

Old Posted Apr 10, 2024, 7:07 PM

From SABJ
Exclusive: River Walk Dream Hotel not dead, developer says

More than four years after plans for a Dream Hotel in downtown San Antonio were first unveiled, work crews have yet to stick a shovel in the ground.

But the developer of that highly anticipated project has confirmed that plans for the River Walk tower are a go and there is a new timeline to begin construction.

“We're still on and we're still moving forward. We intend to break ground this year,” Universal Services Group’s Chuck Brehm said. “We just really backed down everything quite a bit for a couple of years. We're starting to ramp back up now.”

Development costs have not been disclosed, but the hotel is pegged for a site near Soledad and E. Martin streets. USG is developing the project and Dream Hotel Group will manage the 223-room property.

In February 2020, Dream Hotel Group CEO Jay Stein told me during an exclusive interview that the Alamo City project would “bring something that’s a little more sophisticated than typically what’s been in that market.”

At the time, the plan was to break ground in 2021 and complete construction by 2023.

Weeks later, the coronavirus was declared a pandemic. There have been other challenges, too, including inflation, that have pushed back the timeline.

“Everything in the world that can happen has happened between Covid and the economy. Then when the bounce back on hotels didn't happen quite as quickly as it should have, that caused us to slow down the process,” Brehm said.

There have also been some changes in Dream Hotel Group’s ownership. Early last year, Hyatt Hotels Corp. completed a deal to acquire the company.

“They feel just like we do about San Antonio and the opportunity here,” Brehm said.

Brehm and others tethered to the project could have walked away. But he insists that the hotel site and San Antonio’s growth trajectory were motivating factors to stay the course.

“We've got a lot going for us here. It's up to us to take advantage of that,” Brehm said. “I really believe in San Antonio. If you've been in this business long enough, you ride these waves. If you can't, you don't belong in this.”

Old Posted Apr 10, 2024, 8:38 PM

Here is the corresponding photo to the article above in case anyone wanted to see. There are still multiple buildings rendered here but sadly this has the hotel shrunk down to 14 or so stories from the original 25. Of course that is something that is subject to more change I'm sure. Not sure how I feel about this design either but I'm sure that'll get adjusted as well

Old Posted Apr 10, 2024, 10:26 PM
JACKinBeantown

I'll take it! So it will be about the height of the black glass building, and it will fill in the gap nicely behind the garage in this webcam.
https://api.wetmet.net/widgets/strea...056a82ef176ceb

And it won't be tall enough to block the view of the top of the Tower of the Americas from this angle.

https://www.imagesfromtexas.com/imag...noon-103-2.jpg

Last edited by JACKinBeantown; Apr 11, 2024 at 1:10 AM.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2024, 6:11 AM

Since Hyatt is transitioning to more of a model that sells the brand but doesn’t generally run their hotels (Marriott Hilton models) with exception to the luxury hotels I could see them managing and maybe owning this? San Antonio has always been a market that they owned and operated the hotels until more recently, as they sold the downtown regency (probably one of the most valuable pieces of land in San Antonio). Super exciting to see a dream hotel in San Antonio I stayed at the one in LA and it was one of my favorite hotels of all time. Exceptional customer service!

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio