HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Nov 12, 2019, 12:11 AM

ATLANTA Infrastucture (Roads, Complete streets, Bike Lanes, Paths)

Quote:
The conversion of 13th Street between Juniper and Piedmont from one-way to two-way operation officially is underway. Next up, segments of 3rd and 4th Streets will undergo two-way conversions

https://twitter.com/MidtownATL/statu...69571553796096

Old Posted Nov 12, 2019, 2:34 PM

Atlantic Station pedestrian bridge has "momentum"

There are an awful lot of could's in the article.

https://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/..._news_headline
Quote:
A long sought-after pedestrian bridge connecting hundreds of homes with Midtown’s Atlantic Station has new momentum, says the president of a neighborhood association.

Ron Grunwald, president of the Loring Heights Neighborhood Association, said it held recent meetings about the planned bridge with stakeholders. The discussions have picked up as Hines, the global real estate company and owner of Atlantic Station, continues an overhaul of the nearly 140-acre mixed-use development.

“With the growth we’ve been experiencing in the Midtown, Atlantic Station and West Midtown neighborhoods, the interconnection for pedestrians and cyclists has never been more important,” Grunwald said in a statement.

The planned bridge is not yet funded. It would be built next to the 400 Bishop loft-office project over the railway beside Atlantic Station. It could connect Atlantic Station to new developments on Bishop Street, hundreds of homes in the Loring Heights neighborhood, and the future route of the Atlanta Beltline.

“Everyone wants to see a safer crossing condition implemented as soon as possible,” Grunwald said. “We’ve been advocating for this bridge for nearly two decades, and we are excited to play a role in ultimately linking paths from Georgia Tech to Atlantic Station to the Beltline and from Peachtree Street to West Midtown.”

Hines could provide easements or rights of way for the pedestrian bridge.

Last edited by smArTaLlone; Nov 12, 2019 at 4:10 PM.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2019, 9:38 PM

Mayor announces new city DOT

https://atlanta.curbed.com/2019/11/1...transportation
Quote:
Atlanta Mayor Keisha Lance Bottoms announced at a press conference this morning Renew Atlanta general manager Josh Rowan will now serve as commissioner of the city’s new department of transportation.

The new DOT will absorb the city’s Office of Mobility Planning and the Renew Atlanta Infrastructure Bond program, as well as all other transportation-related operations of the departments of Planning and Public Works, Bottoms said.

The mayor also unveiled the One Atlanta Strategic Transportation Plan, which lays out a three-year framework to reach Vision Zero—the goal of having zero traffic fatalities or serious injuries—by way of more than $200 million of mobility infrastructure projects.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2019, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smArTaLlone View Post
I respect that josh has been engaging with the public and changing his mode of transportation to better experience and understand Atlanta's mobility issues. He has a good head on his shoulders and I honestly believe he’ll get appropriate projects delivered for all neighborhoods. We don’t agree on everything, but he’s sensible and wants a better city. Thumbs up to the mayor for this selection.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2019, 11:46 AM

Finally! I think this a huge positive step for the city.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2020, 11:25 PM

Midtown Alliance Receives $750K Grant For 5th Street ‘Complete Street’

Quote:
Midtown Alliance has received a $750,000 grant from the Georgia Transportation Infrastructure Bank (GTIB), a program administered by the State Road and Tollway Authority (SRTA). This funding will help to construct the 5th Street Complete Street Project, which will improve safety and connectivity for vehicular, pedestrian and bicycle traffic in a key multi-modal corridor in Midtown.

The 5th Street Complete Street Project, which Midtown Alliance will implement in partnership with City of Atlanta, stretches from Williams Street through Technology Square to Myrtle Street. Proposed improvements include a two-way protected cycle track, mid-block pedestrian crossings, ADA compliant sidewalks and crosswalks, new and upgraded traffic, bike and pedestrian signals and enhanced protection and increased visibility of Light Individual Transportation (LIT) lanes.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2020, 3:20 PM

The Peachtree Road Complete Street Phase Three will begin construction this fall.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2020, 10:17 PM

Spring Street bike lane

Old Posted Oct 26, 2020, 3:52 PM

The Mark looks pretty nice from this view..

Old Posted Oct 26, 2020, 5:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smArTaLlone View Post
Are there any plans for putting up some kind of barrier?

Old Posted Oct 26, 2020, 7:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlHawks View Post
Are there any plans for putting up some kind of barrier?
Yes, bollards (presumably flex posts)and armadillos. I hope they’re the large armadillos.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2020, 7:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Advocate View Post
Yes, bollards (presumably flex posts)and armadillos. I hope they’re the large armadillos.

the flex posts have no chance, but people will probably swerve to avoid roadkill

Old Posted Oct 26, 2020, 9:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabasse View Post
the flex posts have no chance, but people will probably swerve to avoid roadkill
I’m no fan of the flex posts, either. Armadillos will be a good test case in Atlanta. They work alright elsewhere, but can also get dislodged. Concrete planters or low to mid rise jersey barriers would be nice as an interim solution on these wide streets with heavy vehicular traffic.

Really though, we need to increase our funding so we have design similar to Juniper’s complete streets project be implemented throughout the city.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2020, 9:16 PM

Armadillos come in a few different sizes and colors. This is one of the larger sets:

Old Posted Oct 26, 2020, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Armadillos come in a few different sizes
Ooh, the UPS drivers and Uber drivers waiting for their pickup will love these....

Old Posted Oct 26, 2020, 10:52 PM

Quote:
I’m no fan of the flex posts, either. Armadillos will be a good test case in Atlanta. They work alright elsewhere, but can also get dislodged. Concrete planters or low to mid rise jersey barriers would be nice as an interim solution on these wide streets with heavy vehicular traffic.

Really though, we need to increase our funding so we have design similar to Juniper’s complete streets project be implemented throughout the city.

oh wow, that shows my ignorance - i thought you were making a joke. definitely don't think anyone would want to drive over those though!

Old Posted Oct 26, 2020, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabasse View Post
oh wow, that shows my ignorance - i thought you were making a joke. definitely don't think anyone would want to drive over those though!
Unfortunately my humor online is a bit dry- a stark contrast towards in person.

Some of the armadillos are smaller and less of a deterrent, so I’m hoping for the big fat ones. Cars needs to stay out of bike lanes, they have more than enough space as is and it’s high time we reallocate the public right of way

Old Posted Oct 27, 2020, 3:28 PM

I can see the spring street lane from my home, and it is blocked 100% of the time. Mostly uber eats / grub hub, sometimes delivery vehicles, police cars, utility vehicles, UPS/FedEx, and late at night people parking or picking up from the clubs.
I like the planters protecting the bike lane on 5th street between Spring and W.Peachtree.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2020, 4:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivtim View Post
I can see the spring street lane from my home, and it is blocked 100% of the time. Mostly uber eats / grub hub, sometimes delivery vehicles, police cars, utility vehicles, UPS/FedEx, and late at night people parking or picking up from the clubs.
I like the planters protecting the bike lane on 5th street between Spring and W.Peachtree.
Doug Nagy (associate director of ATL DOT) says protection is coming shortly, though there’s two contractors in order to expedite the process. Until there’s barriers, I fully expect people to park in it.

I mean, there’s still an executive order by the mayor that anyone can park anywhere without repercussion. Has been ongoing for months throughout the pandemic, essentially since the police brutality protests.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2020, 9:12 PM

And to be fair, it was only recently marked and it's still not marked well. There will be a learning curve. Armadillos/zebras or bollards will be fantastic, but there are areas where they likely can't be used because there are still parking spaces that need to be accessible. I really like how in front of NCR they put the bike lane close to the curb and moved the parking and ride share space to be "floating." I was hoping for some green paint through intersections, because I think we're going to see right turning cars cutting off bikes that have the right-of-way.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta