HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jan 30, 2019, 7:05 AM

Winnipeg Ice

https://www.winnipegice.ca/

Ice, Ice, baby! Winnipeg gets WHL team
Owners confirm Kootenay Ice move to city
Jeff Hamilton By: Jeff Hamilton
Posted: 01/29/2019 4:09 PM

Quote:
The motivation behind the project comes from Fettes’ love for hockey and community. But he also said the plan is to make money. The CEO of 24-7 Intouch, a vast international customer outsourcing operation, has partnered with Tina Jones, Brad Rice and former NHL player Mike Keane, among others, to ensure the project’s success.

The Rink, the Rink Hockey Academy and various other sports and entertainment businesses will operate under the same umbrella, reaffirming the project goes well beyond a WHL team, with a much bigger picture in mind. The business will be built upon the various tenants in the event centre (including the Ice and concert events) as well as other money streams, including what’s generated from the specialized sports programs across all ages, land development, sports and wellness clinics, restaurants and retail. Fettes also announced they have purchased the MJHL’s Winnipeg Blues.

They plan to build a commercial and entertainment hub, which would be anchored by an event centre in Winnipeg’s southwestern corner. The centrepiece of the event centre will be a 4,500-capacity arena where the Winnipeg Ice will play. The current logo will also be used.
https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sp...505042732.html

Video Link

Winnipeg | A Picture Thread - Updated October 2023

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2019, 1:06 PM

they have 4 or 5 manitobans on their team /drafted and I'm sure you'll see a few more get drafted this year. them owning The Rink and RHA program is huge part of having kids in their "system".

Old Posted Jan 30, 2019, 4:21 PM

The new arena looks very nice. There's a full restaurant/bar, team store, training areas and such. Should be quite the complex with the RHA attached.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2019, 5:08 PM

if they build anything like the concept video, that is going to be one very, very nice arena

seems really fancy for a WHL team but they'e going all in

Old Posted Jan 30, 2019, 5:09 PM
ハルウララ

Where will the team play until the new arena is completed? Or is the new building ready for this fall?

Old Posted Jan 30, 2019, 5:10 PM

A new facility that size would definitely compliment a world juniors bid in the future.

Winnipeg | A Picture Thread - Updated October 2023

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2019, 5:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
Where will the team play until the new arena is completed? Or is the new building ready for this fall?
They'll play at U of m for 2 seasons before the new rink is complete.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpg_Guy View Post
A new facility that size would definitely compliment a world juniors bid in the future.
I was thinking the same thing. Bell MTS and the new rink will be a perfect fit. Team Canada's group play out of Bell MTS and the other group can play out of the new rink.

I wonder how those two rinks would compare to other recent host cities? Will 4500 seats be enough for ticket sales? How many people actually go to a weekday afternoon game between Czech and Belarus? Likely those games are part of a ticket package.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2019, 6:33 PM

Considering the Warriors/Jets 1.0 didn't go over well at the time I wonder how the Jets/Moose/Ice combo will play out over about five years. The support of the Moose seems somewhat soft and if the Ice start trying to undercut them on price. You have to wonder at what point moving the Moose starts to make sense v the cost savings by sharing facilities, etc with the Jets.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2019, 6:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
Considering the Warriors/Jets 1.0 didn't go over well at the time I wonder how the Jets/Moose/Ice combo will play out over about five years. The support of the Moose seems somewhat soft and if the Ice start trying to undercut them on price. You have to wonder at what point moving the Moose starts to make sense v the cost savings by sharing facilities, etc with the Jets.
Its always possible but I think the Moose would have to be actively costing True North money (ie. losing money) to make that decision. The Moose dont have to be profitable on their own like they did before the Jets. They are part of the deal when owning an NHL team.

If there is enough support that it allows True North the convenience of keeping them here, I think they will always do so. Fills dates as well...unless they find conflict between Moose games and concerts/events that would generate more revenue.

One thing, a quality arena of that size could attract events that are too small for BellMTS Place or cant justify the rent of the big building.

As a wrestling promoter, I'd be looking at that new arena if it existed today.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2019, 6:53 PM

I don't see the Moose going anywhere. Their attendance will bottom out at some number. TNSE is invested with the upgrades to IcePlex and Bell MTS.

Didn't some mention on here the moose are more profitable, on a ratio's basis, than anything else TNSE does? It's cheap to operate the team when most player salaries are in the $70k range per year. Not having to rent another arena, having the players literally down the hall from each other, things like this play into it.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2019, 7:19 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
I wonder how those two rinks would compare to other recent host cities? Will 4500 seats be enough for ticket sales? How many people actually go to a weekday afternoon game between Czech and Belarus? Likely those games are part of a ticket package.
Winnipeg: 15,321 / 4,500

2021: Edmonton 18,347 / 7,111 Red Deer
2019: Vancouver 18,910 / 7,006 Victoria
2017: Montreal 21,287 / 18,819 Toronto
2015: Toronto 18,910 / 21,287 Montreal
2013: Calgary 19,289 / 16,839 Edmonton
2010: Saskatoon 14,705 / 7,000 Regina
2009: Kanata 19,153 / 9,862 Ottawa

Old Posted Jan 30, 2019, 7:22 PM

Thanks for the info.

So yes, definitely on the smaller end. The evaluation criteria is set heavily on expected profits IIRC. So Winnipeg, competing vs another large City is at a disadvantage with the smaller rinks. Unless ticket prices compensate for it.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2019, 7:54 PM
Winnipeg

I like the design of the new arena, it feels very modern. As it is currently a rendering, I think they still have much room for improvements and such

Old Posted Jan 30, 2019, 9:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpg_Guy View Post
Maybe for Kazakhstan vs Bulgaria. Any Canada games or even ISA would draw 12k+ fans, not $4k

Old Posted Jan 30, 2019, 9:12 PM

Lots of glass in that render in the video. It will be interesting if the final product will look like that given the cold climate.

Bob McKenzie speculated that the new model for the World Juniors in Canada would be one CHL city and one NHL city to try and maximize revenues.

2019 - Vancouver (NHL), Victoria (CHL)
2021 - Edmonton (NHL), Red Deer (CHL)

If Winnipeg bids, I suspect it will be a joint bid with Saskatoon. Since both cities have big arenas, I think the proposal would include at least 3 and maybe all 4 of Canada's round robin games in Saskatoon, while Winnipeg would get the elimination games/medal round (up to 3 Canadian games). This would entice individuals and companies to buy ticket packages in both cities. It's similar to how the games were arranged in Calgary and Edmonton's bid a few years ago - Edmonton had all of Canada's round robin games while Calgary received the elimination games.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2019, 9:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post
Maybe for Kazakhstan vs Bulgaria. Any Canada games or even ISA would draw 12k+ fans, not $4k
You need 2 rinks. The new rink would be for the kazak vs Bulgaria type games lol Well for the group that Canada is not in.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2019, 9:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy View Post
Lots of glass in that render in the video. It will be interesting if the final product will look like that given the cold climate.

Bob McKenzie speculated that the new model for the World Juniors in Canada would be one CHL city and one NHL city to try and maximize revenues.

2019 - Vancouver (NHL), Victoria (CHL)
2021 - Edmonton (NHL), Red Deer (CHL)

If Winnipeg bids, I suspect it will be a joint bid with Saskatoon. Since both cities have big arenas, I think the proposal would include at least 3 and maybe all 4 of Canada's round robin games in Saskatoon, while Winnipeg would get the elimination games/medal round (up to 3 Canadian games). This would entice individuals and companies to buy ticket packages in both cities. It's similar to how the games were arranged in Calgary and Edmonton's bid a few years ago - Edmonton had all of Canada's round robin games while Calgary received the elimination games.
Winnipeg is BOTH.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2019, 6:08 AM

On 1290 they were saying apparently even with the drop in attendance, the Moose are still doing quite well financially – then add on the efficiencies for the Jets and it'd be tough to even get to the point where they'd consider moving.

While I think the whole facility is fantastic for hockey here and the city in general, IMO it sucks if they're going to try and use it as an entertainment facility due to the location. The city is dying for a concert venue that size, and this would fill the gap – but it's so far away from most people, with zero transit access and would be expensive cab rides. It's too bad it doesn't end up somewhere a little more central.

Hell, just scrap the Parker Lands plan and put it there lol.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2019, 8:18 PM

My guess would be if transportation to/from the new arena is an issue they will start a shuttle bus style service similar to the Bomber games.

Being outside the boundaries of Winnipeg there is likely minimal chance that they get Winnipeg Transit service.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2019, 8:27 PM

That'd be a great idea. Somewhere close to downtown for a pick up/drop off point.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan