HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted May 24, 2023, 8:23 PM

To me the best options would be Park Central or the surrounding area, the Camelback Collonade, or just south of the Phoenix Zoo. Having something that could bring in all those people could really boost Park Central and Midtown. Plus has the light rail. Camelback Collonade is pretty busy so probably not the most needed area but I think it would really turn that area in to an even more popular place with walkable areas. I also think the office areas around the zoo, botanical garden, Papago and light rail could really be a nice area with this entertainment district, but I would guess it would face the same opposition as the original proposal.

Old Posted May 24, 2023, 9:53 PM

Old Posted May 24, 2023, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xymox View Post
I don't buy it. Sure there are fewer home games - but there most definitely are games during the workweek (MNF, TNF). Not to mention other big events that occur there (i.e big name concerts) that people have no problem braving the traffic from the east valley to go attend during the work week. Hell, the Cure sold out the former Coyotes Arena on a Thursday night. I don't see how placing a new arena in the east valley anywhere makes traffic easier during the week. If anything it makes it worse - especially around Tempe which lacks the ability to funnel traffic effectively during high volume times w/o events.

But my point is - if prior ownership had put a product on the ice that was worth watching, people would have shown up. Years of a crappy team after initial success was just a big let down. Asking for a new arena doesn't change that. Shouldn't matter where they play if the ownership is competent and willing to invest in the product that people are braving bad traffic as well as paying a ton of money to go see. We're a metro of 5M and growing - it shouldn't take much to fill an 18k person arena regularly no matter the location.
Agreed. And that Cure concert was great. It was so crowded at Westgate that night. Frankly, I get tired of hearing about how crappy Westgate is. I don't think it is. Apparently, the East Valley fans weren't that devoted enough to support the team when it needed support. I also get tired of hearing East Valley residents crying about traffic to the West Valley - many just don't find value in it. I rarely hear the opposite regarding WV residents complaining how far Scottsdale is, although I kind of outgrew Scottsdale (and other parts of the EV) years ago. JMO

Last edited by azliam; May 24, 2023 at 10:57 PM.

Old Posted May 26, 2023, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azliam View Post
Agreed. And that Cure concert was great. It was so crowded at Westgate that night. Frankly, I get tired of hearing about how crappy Westgate is. I don't think it is. Apparently, the East Valley fans weren't that devoted enough to support the team when it needed support. I also get tired of hearing East Valley residents crying about traffic to the West Valley - many just don't find value in it. I rarely hear the opposite regarding WV residents complaining how far Scottsdale is, although I kind of outgrew Scottsdale (and other parts of the EV) years ago. JMO
Here's one way to quickly appreciate how great Westgate is. Go to a 49ers Home game in Santa Clara. NOTHING in walking distance near the stadium. You are funneled to the light rail which takes FOREVER to get anywhere. Or if you Ubered - that's a giant mess too. Nowhere to just walk over and wait out traffic to get home. Or just have a drink with friends to celebrate - or dinner, whatever. Westgate near those arenas was brilliant. And it's a pretty nice area in general. Sometimes I think people are just annoyed it didn't get built in the east valley...

Old Posted May 26, 2023, 1:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xymox View Post
Here's one way to quickly appreciate how great Westgate is. Go to a 49ers Home game in Santa Clara. NOTHING in walking distance near the stadium. You are funneled to the light rail which takes FOREVER to get anywhere. Or if you Ubered - that's a giant mess too. Nowhere to just walk over and wait out traffic to get home. Or just have a drink with friends to celebrate - or dinner, whatever. Westgate near those arenas was brilliant. And it's a pretty nice area in general. Sometimes I think people are just annoyed it didn't get built in the east valley...
The VAI Resort will be another great addition to the area.

Old Posted May 26, 2023, 3:07 AM

You don't "outgrow" the east valley, you are either East Valley or West Valley

You can move from the west to the east or you can be from the east and be exiled to the west but there is no converting.

People from Gilbert and Scottsdale simply wont go west of downtown if they can avoid it and that isn't true the other way.

Old Posted May 26, 2023, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post

You can move from the west to the east or you can be from the east and be exiled to the west but there is no converting.

People from Gilbert and Scottsdale simply wont go west of downtown if they can avoid it and that isn't true the other way.
I'm calling BS on that. Don't get me wrong - the east valley is nice. Although I didn't move to the valley until 2010 (was in Tucson), I used to party a lot in Scottsdale back in the 90's and stayed at many resorts there. I most definitely outgrew the partying aspect there and I most definitely outgrew the allure of the pretentious lifestyle or attitudes found in some in parts of the EV. It's just not that important to me anymore and I rarely go east of downtown. Just my personal preference.

Last edited by azliam; May 26, 2023 at 12:32 PM.

Old Posted May 26, 2023, 2:37 PM

Hey hey as an East Valley-er let's not forget that vast amounts of Mesa suck just as much as anything in the West Valley ! /sarc

Old Posted May 26, 2023, 3:48 PM

Quote:

Then there is the North/Northwest Valley. They cruise the 101 between the Pima and Agua Fria portion and are just as at home at Desert Ridge as they are near Arrowhead. They sometimes head into Scottsdale, or go to Westgate every now and then. They're fine with going anywhere in the valley, although deep Gilbert or Chandler are kind of different worlds.

Old Posted May 26, 2023, 4:01 PM

Quote:

If you know, you know.

And someone from Tucson probably wouldn't understand as everything south of the Gila is basically the West side to us as well lmao.

Old Posted May 26, 2023, 6:21 PM

Quote:

I had a co-worker ask me once whether I lived in the West Valley or the East Valley (as if those are the only two options), I simply replied flatly that I live in Central Phoenix. It was like the person's brain received an output that says 'does not compute'. It MUST be one or the other. Lots of those folks out there. Ingrained into our worldview sadly.

Old Posted May 26, 2023, 6:26 PM
Skyriser

You can definitely outgrow the East Valley. I stopped hanging around Tempe because I didn't want to be around college kids, never cared for the Scottsdale scene, and it took forever for Chandler and Gilbert to get remotely functional downtowns anyways.

I found almost no reason to visit the East Valley after I moved downtown unless for like a concert at the marquee or to see family or friends who still lived out there. I definitely did not hang out in Tempe after work, not once ever.

Old Posted May 26, 2023, 6:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiEncanto View Post
If you know, you know.

And someone from Tucson probably wouldn't understand as everything south of the Gila is basically the West side to us as well lmao.
I'm not "from" Tucson. Tucson is just one place I've lived before moving here, but you're right. To an outsider, that weird EV/WV tribalism, right side/wrong side of the tracks mentality can seem a little strange and outdated to "outsiders", especially considering how much this metro has grown and continues to grow in all directions.

Old Posted May 26, 2023, 8:49 PM
Skyriser

It still exists. Growth hasn't been equal at all in all directions. Casa Grande and Maricopa are effectively a cheap, somewhat reasonable suburb for Chandler office workers. I can't say that driving from Buckeye to a white collar job almost anywhere. And Maryvale will always be Maryvale whereas Arcadia Lite is now a thing.

Old Posted May 27, 2023, 6:00 AM

Its Jerry's C fault that Coyotes have no home. For some dumb reason he built the only Arena in history for basketball only. Every stadium before and since has always been designed to with that hockey circle first than add seats for basketball. Plus when the Suns arena got remodeled it should have been redone so Coyotes could move in there too. They should have always been downtown in the same place as the Suns. There isn't any city in america that has hockey and basketball teams that play in diff arenas.

And on a side note i hate that there are not the Phoenix Coyotes anymore.
Its so lame when teams are named State first. Cities are what people identify with.

Old Posted May 27, 2023, 1:19 PM

There are hockey teams in America that play in different arenas than the basketball teams.

Old Posted May 27, 2023, 2:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sepstein View Post
Its Jerry's C fault that Coyotes have no home. For some dumb reason he built the only Arena in history for basketball only. Every stadium before and since has always been designed to with that hockey circle first than add seats for basketball. Plus when the Suns arena got remodeled it should have been redone so Coyotes could move in there too. They should have always been downtown in the same place as the Suns. There isn't any city in america that has hockey and basketball teams that play in diff arenas.

And on a side note i hate that there are not the Phoenix Coyotes anymore.
Its so lame when teams are named State first. Cities are what people identify with.
This is inaccurate and kinda dumb. Blaming Colangelo? The dude is the godfather of sports in AZ and deserves better than lame attacks.

The coyotes themselves have explained why playing in the Suns arena did not and will not work for them; just listen to their own words. Hockey is an arena league, they make a massive portion of their $ for in game activities and less so on TV. They can’t be renters. The only way it works to share is if it is a single owner and the Yotes don’t want to sell to Ishbia (nor has he publicly offered).

Old Posted Jun 19, 2023, 8:28 PM

Looks like the team is keeping details around this search much more private, probably rightfully so. Somewhat surprised to see Scottsdale on the list but have to assume it's an area that would not require a public vote.

https://www.gophnx.com/2023/06/19/co...n-ticket-core/

Old Posted Jun 20, 2023, 12:30 AM

Diamondback's decision soon?

They should be announcing something fairly soon here according to what they were saying about a month ago. I think they stay and rehab Chase. What say you character's?

Old Posted Jun 20, 2023, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
Looks like the team is keeping details around this search much more private, probably rightfully so. Somewhat surprised to see Scottsdale on the list but have to assume it's an area that would not require a public vote.

https://www.gophnx.com/2023/06/19/co...n-ticket-core/
If I'm Mesa, I'm doing whatever I can to try and land the Coyotes at the quarry site. Riverview desperately needs regular activity and landing an anchor tenant like a professional sports team would do a lot to mediate residents always going elsewhere in the valley for entertainment.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest