HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted May 18, 2023, 4:15 AM

Park looks great, but will it be safe enough for people to use

Old Posted May 18, 2023, 6:18 AM
Community Guy

I am also worried about tripping hazards.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted May 18, 2023, 2:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
I am also worried about tripping hazards.
?

Old Posted May 18, 2023, 5:09 PM
Change is good

^
?

Cold was making a cheeky comment about the safety of the park, in reference to the post above him, pretending like we all dont know there's going to homeless issues in the area, as there is already...

Old Posted May 18, 2023, 7:24 PM
Community Guy

Charter Bylaw 20503 - To allow development of the Downtown Warehouse Campus Park, Downtown

Charter Bylaw 20503 and Bylaw 20502 will be dealt with together
Bylaw 20502 - To allow for portions of 107 Street NW and adjacent lanes to be closed to facilitate construction of the Downtown Warehouse Campus Park, Downtown

Charter Bylaw 20503 and Bylaw 20502 will be dealt with together
https://pub-edmonton.escribemeetings...umentId=184662

Old Posted May 19, 2023, 4:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by feepa View Post
^
?

Cold was making a cheeky comment about the safety of the park, in reference to the post above him, pretending like we all dont know there's going to homeless issues in the area, as there is already...
I was referring to the numerous tripping hazards

Old Posted May 23, 2023, 2:00 PM
Change is good

homeless / addicts sleeping/passed out on the ground certainly can be perceived as tripping hazards. I guess we are all on the same page.

Old Posted May 31, 2023, 8:44 PM
Community Guy

Old Posted May 31, 2023, 10:11 PM

"The Park has been in the works for 13 years and construction could begin as early as next year!!" lol. That's the Edmonton way.

I suspect this will be drastically cut back. Where is the appetite to spend 40 mill on a park when the homeless rule downtown.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2023, 2:03 PM
Change is good

^ we've already spent 42+ Million just buying the land for the park.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2023, 2:19 PM
Community Guy

From May 16, 2023 EDC Minutes:

C.2 Warehouse Park Sarah Stephenson- COE Motion of Non- support: D. Brown Seconded: N. Pryce While the Committee supports the development of the park space, it is suggested that at this stage of project development there should be further design consideration to the following:

● ‘Warehouse Park aims to respect, contribute, and renew the memory or heritage of buildings, districts and landscapes’ A further refinement of essences and character components (e.g., playground/play areas, the form of structures/canopies, hard surfaces, soft landscape, site furniture, lighting, warming/fireplaces, northern light arbor structure, public art and other features) should be considered to better reflect and interpret the Warehouse District and other important cultural/indigenous ‘memories’ to establish a unique sense of place for Warehouse Park that is different than other contemporary Edmonton park spaces. (Principle C2)

● ‘Indigenous vegetation is promoted to provide habitat and connectivity for wildlife in and through the park.’A further refinement on the use and arrangement of indigenous (originating or occurring naturally in Alberta or Edmonton) plantings should be considered to better reflect the Edmonton/Alberta cultural landscape and establish a more ecological and sustainable landscape.

● Consider incorporating more design elements that meaningfully address/represent the cultural significance of the area to indigenous communities. Themes should be represented in the form, function, and finish (materiality) of the built work - creating spaces and functional elements with appropriate consultation with indigenous communities. Themes should genuinely facilitate use and sense of ownership of the space by indigenous communities, rather than just provide a visual representation of cultural motifs (murals, symbols, "plop art").

For the Motion: N. Pryce, J. Candlish, M. Tindall, D. Brown, J. Monfries, C. Dorward Against the Motion: K. Dieterman, T. Ziola, E. Dunn, J. Mills CARRIED

Old Posted Jun 9, 2023, 9:44 PM

^biting my tongue.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2023, 5:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buildings View Post
^biting my tongue.

Delete

Last edited by Black Star; Jun 12, 2023 at 2:42 PM.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2023, 2:09 AM
Community Guy

Old Posted Aug 23, 2023, 3:21 AM

Too many trees - very little sunlight going to fill this park once the trees reach their full growth.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2023, 3:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdmTrekker View Post
Too many trees - very little sunlight going to fill this park once the trees reach their full growth.

I agree....It needs to open up.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2023, 3:29 AM
Community Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdmTrekker View Post
Pretty sure that's the point.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2023, 11:27 AM

https://cdn.thecollector.com/wp-cont...400&quality=55

The amount of trees proposed is just fine.

I think that's why they call it a park

Old Posted Aug 23, 2023, 3:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket252 View Post
https://cdn.thecollector.com/wp-cont...400&quality=55

The amount of trees proposed is just fine.

I think that's why they call it a park
Agree.....

Back in 1990...I was taking law enforcement at Grant MacEwan. We all had to volunteer with the EPS. My posting was with the Beaver Hills police station when it was there. We had a lot of problems with the cover/trees and hills in this park. It concealed a lot of crime and drug trafficking. Hence why the city at the time redesigned the park to be more open. Now, our crime is a lot worse downtown. I guess just having good sitelines and trying not to have any hidden pockets is my only real concern. This park will indeed be awesome. I just hope that its policed properly. P.s... there is no way in hell I'm going into central park at any time

Old Posted Aug 23, 2023, 9:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Star View Post
Agree.....

Back in 1990...I was taking law enforcement at Grant MacEwan. We all had to volunteer with the EPS. My posting was with the Beaver Hills police station when it was there. We had a lot of problems with the cover/trees and hills in this park. It concealed a lot of crime and drug trafficking. Hence why the city at the time redesigned the park to be more open. Now, our crime is a lot worse downtown. I guess just having good sitelines and trying not to have any hidden pockets is my only real concern. This park will indeed be awesome. I just hope that its policed properly. P.s... there is no way in hell I'm going into central park at any time
Yeah, I mentioned that in an earlier post, if the city isn't prepared to have police or peace officers at the park on a 24 hour rotation, there really is no point in building this park.

Look at all the money spent on the park and streetscape in The Quarters, total waste of resources. I haven't been down there this year, but late last fall I decided to check it out and it was a hot mess. There were people passed out and stumbling around. Plus all the commercial spaces at the Doubletree were boarded up because all the windows were smashed out (I would post pics I took, but don't know how).

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton