HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Old Posted Jan 5, 2013, 1:30 AM

Great posts Signal. I love reading these kinds of stories. Glad to see this province being appreciated for the beauty it has to offer.

On another note, did anyone manage to catch the VOCM news late this afternoon on the radio? I don't usually listen to VOCM but I was at my dad's today and partially overheard Mayor O'Keefe on the news discussing something about having to look beyond heritage regulations when approving developments, and he specifically mentioned the Marriot Extension. I really wish I could have heard this more closely but I am wondering if he was explaining why sometimes we have to look beyond height regulations and maybe, preparing the public for an announcement of a development where we will need to do this (based on rumours I have been reading here lately).

Edit: I do also recall hearing him talking about heritage, and having to preserve the oldest street in North America.

I dunno, I am going to give him a chance. We do need to find a balance of preserving what is worth saving and moving ahead with modern development.....and I hope he can achieve that.

Last edited by J_Murphy; Jan 5, 2013 at 3:07 AM.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2013, 3:55 AM

It does sound like he is preparing us and sending us subtle hints of a looming proposal... Proposal 23 most definitely

Just from chris saying he didn't come out as against the proposal when he heard of it, and him now saying sometimes you have to look beyond heritage regulations makes me think we might finally have someone who will fight for development on council! This makes me a bit more hopeful!

He does need to take a firm stance on development and if he wants to win the election, he should be fighting for possible upcoming proposals. He can't stay silent and let O'Leary win. I think we might finally have an advocate on council sitting in the mayors chair and that really excites me

This is going to be either the best year ever, or a very disappointing year but I look forward to it all the same

Old Posted Jan 5, 2013, 4:01 AM

D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Townie709 View Post
It does sound like he is preparing us and sending us subtle hints of a looming proposal... Proposal 23 most definitely

Just from chris saying he didn't come out as against the proposal when he heard of it, and him now saying sometimes you have to look beyond heritage regulations makes me think we might finally have someone who will fight for development on council! This makes me a bit more hopeful!

He does need to take a firm stance on development and if he wants to win the election, he should be fighting for possible upcoming proposals. He can't stay silent and let O'Leary win. I think we might finally have an advocate on council sitting in the mayors chair and that really excites me

This is going to be either the best year ever, or a very disappointing year but I look forward to it all the same
As I said, I didn't hear the whole thing in context, but I'm hoping that is what he was getting at.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2013, 4:16 AM

I realize that, but I am only speculating as well! Being Pro-development is really the only strategy I can see that will bring Doc a victory in the next election. If he decides to express similar views as O'Leary, he will certainly lose as she is younger, more vocal and has a larger following.

Development is something I believe people here are starting to warm up to, it's just that there is nobody on council who is really pro-development. Making am intelligent case for the need of development (which isn't that hard to do) Should convince most on-the-fencers and he will glide into a victory. I just hope people will have warmed up to development by the time September rolls around, otherwise we are most definitely screwed!

Old Posted Jan 6, 2013, 2:04 AM

All Doc needs to push is development = employment. A part of the mayors job is to try and create jobs for their citizens. Development will do this. Fighting every proposal because it doesn't fit a very strict and somewhat irrelevant restriction doesn't do that. There's a sizable part of the city that would love to see the downtown stay in its 1950s form, but Doc should be trying to get votes from the average joe, or people like us

Old Posted Jan 8, 2013, 2:23 PM

Pretty cool story about our beloved former Premier.

Quote:
Former Premier Donates Money for Kids to Catch Play

Hundreds of young people in Kingston, Ontario will get an opportunity to learn more about Canadian history this week thanks to the efforts of a St. John's businessman.

Former Premier, Danny Williams just made a lot of new friends in Kingston, Ontario thanks to his donation so that young people there can attend a play about Sir John A. MacDonald, Canada's first Prime Minister. Spokesperson Ryan Zade, who is with the Sir John A. MacDonald Bicentennial Commission, says they were thrilled that Williams donated 5-thousand dollars to enable the school children to attend the event. Zade says reaching out to young people is a major part of their mandate.

The play will run from Wednesday to Saturday, and the children will be going on the final day which organizers are calling Danny Williams day.

http://www.vocm.com/newsarticle.asp?...29711&latest=1

Old Posted Jan 8, 2013, 3:59 PM

hey guys I'm trying to help out a friend with a project and I need to know,

If CNA wants to build a building like a residence, do they need to abide by the municipal regulations? and go before council?

It wouldn't right? because it is concidered the provincial government?

Old Posted Jan 8, 2013, 5:19 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

62 cm of snow for Thursday.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2013, 5:58 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeddy1989 View Post
hey guys I'm trying to help out a friend with a project and I need to know,

If CNA wants to build a building like a residence, do they need to abide by the municipal regulations? and go before council?

It wouldn't right? because it is concidered the provincial government?
Nope there ain't nothing anyone at the bunker can do to stop it.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2013, 6:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher_chafe View Post
Nope there ain't nothing anyone at the bunker can do to stop it.
Thanks that's what I thought

Old Posted Jan 8, 2013, 6:21 PM
BANNED

Quote:
I realize that, but I am only speculating as well! Being Pro-development is really the only strategy I can see that will bring Doc a victory in the next election. If he decides to express similar views as O'Leary, he will certainly lose as she is younger, more vocal and has a larger following.

Development is something I believe people here are starting to warm up to, it's just that there is nobody on council who is really pro-development. Making am intelligent case for the need of development (which isn't that hard to do) Should convince most on-the-fencers and he will glide into a victory. I just hope people will have warmed up to development by the time September rolls around, otherwise we are most definitely screwed!

Exactly Townie709......if DOC continues to platform on his current ideology he will most certainly loose to O'Leary, that is something we do not want.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2013, 8:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
62 cm of snow for Thursday.
YAY!!

Our first big snowstorm of the season!!! I love the snow

Old Posted Jan 8, 2013, 9:51 PM
BANNED

Quote:
YAY!!

Our first big snowstorm of the season!!! I love the snow

My dear friend Townie709, would you like me to private you my address so you can come and shovel my driveway and a path to my front door!

Old Posted Jan 9, 2013, 12:14 AM
EVDS MPlan Grad

Don't worry guys. Signal is having all the snow plowed over to my place. Those who love it can come on over. $5 to swan dive off my roof.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2013, 12:37 PM

STORM UPDATE

Quote:
A storm which has the potential to cripple some eastern parts of the island including metro St. John's is on the move. Environment Canada meteorologist Paul Greeley says the storm will develop near PEI, and as it tracks toward the island it will intensify. He says the Avalon will experience heavy snowfall starting Thursday evening. The heavy snow will persist through Friday, and we may see 40-60cm when it's all over. As well, winds will reach near 100km by Friday.
Greeley says it won't only be the Avalon that will feel the force of this storm. He says they are expecting similar conditions for the Burin Peninsula, Bonavista Peninsula and Clarenville area. He says a snowfall warning will also be issued for the Southwest Coast where snowfall amounts will be lower, in the 15cm range. However, he says winds will be high in those areas.
http://www.vocm.com/newsarticle.asp?mn=2&id=29726

Old Posted Jan 9, 2013, 2:18 PM

Alderon to spend $1.27B to start Kami mine

http://www.thetelegram.com/News/Loca...rt-Kami-mine/1

Quote:
Alderon to spend $1.27B to start Kami mine
Alderon Iron Ore Corp. is expecting to spend $1.27 billion to get its Kami mine project up and running.

The company released the results of its feasibility study for the project this morning, including the total cost and other key figures for the development.

Construction is set to start by year-end.

If construction and start-up comes in on time, the project will be up and running by the end of 2015, according to the study.

The mine has been designed to produce eight million tonnes of iron ore concentrate a year, at 65.2 per cent iron. It has an estimated life of 30 years - longer than initially expected.

“The study demonstrates robust economics on the Kami Property and the results meet all of the threshold criteria under our agreements with (partner) Hebei (Iron and Steel). Our schedule anticipates receipt of permits toward the end of 2013 and construction to follow immediately, with initial production in the fourth quarter of 2015,” said Alderon president and CEO Tayfun Eldem.

The study — providing a more specific definition for the project compared to the earlier preliminary economic assessment - was completed by BBA Inc. out of Montreal; Stantec Consulting in St. John’s; and Watts, Griffis and McOuat Ltd. of Toronto.

The Kami project site is about 10 kilometres from Wabush and six kilometres South of Cliffs Natural Resources’ Wabush Mines.

“Nalcor will provide power directly to the Kami site main substation by means of a 315 kV transmission line,” the company states.

Product from the mine will be sent by rail to the port in Sept-Iles, Que, for shipping.

In presenting the details of the study to investors this morning, Eldem made note the company is planning for a larger worker camp from what had been planned when the preliminary assessment was done.

As it turns out, Eldem said, there was not enough accommodations in the area to take on as many workers as had been expected.

The project has yet to be released from environmental assessment, but the company is hoping to see the end of that process at the end of September or early October
No shortage of projects on the go...

Old Posted Jan 9, 2013, 2:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Murphy View Post
http://www.thetelegram.com/News/Loca...rt-Kami-mine/1

No shortage of projects on the go...
I just created a thread to talk about the economy and the projects which will affect us

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=203411

Old Posted Jan 9, 2013, 2:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeddy1989 View Post
I just created a thread to talk about the economy and the projects which will affect us

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=203411
Cool...thanks! I was just thinking after I posted that link that there was no real appropriate place in the St. John's forum to put it.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2013, 2:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Murphy View Post
Cool...thanks! I was just thinking after I posted that link that there was no real appropriate place in the St. John's forum to put it.
yeah we were posting things in the main thread, but I think it's time to have it's own thread concidering all the projects happening

Old Posted Jan 9, 2013, 8:09 PM

Blizzard warning now in effect

Still saying 40-60cm and winds of 100km/h gusting to 120km/h in exposed areas! That is some STRONG winds!! I cannot wait! This is just as good as proposal 23

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's