HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley

Old Posted Apr 25, 2023, 3:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcj View Post
Considering how long major projects like Sapperton Green (Master Plan process started in 2011, still not finalized 12 years later) and Pier West (original site plan approved in 1996, about to be completed 28 years after that initial approval) take with New West's planning department it will be at least a decade before we see any shovels in the ground here. Glad to see someone is advancing this though!
When did planning for the Brewery District start? Pier West was slowed down because Larco isn't a development company, they're a "let's pretend we're a development company that just sits on land" company.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2023, 3:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanSpice View Post
When did planning for the Brewery District start? Pier West was slowed down because Larco isn't a development company, they're a "let's pretend we're a development company that just sits on land" company.
The Labatt brewery closed in 2005 and the rezoning was approved in 2007. I can't find when exactly Wesgroup bought the site or when they first submitted the rezoning. The rezoning was amended in 2016 to increase the residential density in exchange for including rental units.

The first building was complete in 2011. Sales for the first residential tower started in 2015 and construction finished in 2017.

AFAIK excavation for the final tower hasn't started yet so it could very well be over 20 years between the original rezoning approval and total project completion.

Last edited by madog222; Apr 25, 2023 at 5:04 AM.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2023, 5:05 PM

Quote:
This could very well turn out the same way, though at least it seems like "EDGAR" has a couple towers under construction currently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madog222 View Post
The Labatt brewery closed in 2005 and the rezoning was approved in 2007. I can't find when exactly Wesgroup bought the site or when they first submitted the rezoning. The rezoning was amended in 2016 to increase the residential density in exchange for including rental units.

The first building was complete in 2011. Sales for the first residential tower started in 2015 and construction finished in 2017.

AFAIK excavation for the final tower hasn't started yet so it could very well be over 20 years between the original rezoning approval and total project completion.
Gotta love how we can measure every major project in NW in decades, seems like most take 20+ years to get from initial proposal to completion. Can't wait until the redeveloped Columbia Square opens when I retire in the 2040s

Old Posted Apr 25, 2023, 6:10 PM

Quote:
Gotta love how we can measure every major project in NW in decades, seems like most take 20+ years to get from initial proposal to completion. Can't wait until the redeveloped Columbia Square opens when I retire in the 2040s
When I first read it I wondered how the places I sometimes go to in and around there will be affected - but it looks like I'll have a decade before I have to consider it.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2023, 9:49 PM

Quote:
This isn't really a New West problem. How long has Lougheed taken? Or Oakridge? Or Brentwood?

Old Posted Apr 25, 2023, 11:01 PM

Quote:
This isn't really a New West problem. How long has Lougheed taken? Or Oakridge? Or Brentwood?
Agreed it isn't really a New West problem, planning processes are ridiculously long across the region and we all know that's an issue contributing to our decades long housing crisis.

All of those took about a single decade to go from initial concept to construction of the first phase. Lougheed was acquired in 2010, construction started in 2018. Brentwood also acquired in 2010, construction started in 2015. Oakridge the proposal came in around 2012, approved in 2014 and construction started in 2019.

By those same standards Sapperton Green should have started construction of it's first phase somewhere inline with those projects, but it's still a parking lot with no update from our planning department in 2 years.

I'd be delighted for NW to move faster than our track record shows, would love to see this project starting construction by the early 2030s!

Last edited by mcj; Apr 25, 2023 at 11:12 PM.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2023, 5:15 AM

Royal Columbian Hospital from today.

Photos by me.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2023, 5:55 AM

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World when they include a big W!!!

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/the-u...-cal_b_4888024

https://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=8120

Old Posted Apr 26, 2023, 5:37 PM

Quote:
Agreed it isn't really a New West problem, planning processes are ridiculously long across the region and we all know that's an issue contributing to our decades long housing crisis.

All of those took about a single decade to go from initial concept to construction of the first phase. Lougheed was acquired in 2010, construction started in 2018. Brentwood also acquired in 2010, construction started in 2015. Oakridge the proposal came in around 2012, approved in 2014 and construction started in 2019.

By those same standards Sapperton Green should have started construction of it's first phase somewhere inline with those projects, but it's still a parking lot with no update from our planning department in 2 years.

I'd be delighted for NW to move faster than our track record shows, would love to see this project starting construction by the early 2030s!
I love how everyone is putting the blame on the cities about the delays. Developers are known to drag their feet on moving developments forward. Many projects die because the developer never pays the city and the project sits until payment. Not unusual as developers never use their money. so will do a proposal start the getting the cards etc lined up and then sell investment spots. this is when they move forward

Old Posted Apr 26, 2023, 6:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cairnstone View Post
I love how everyone is putting the blame on the cities about the delays.
Cities deserve some, they're not innocent in this crisis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cairnstone View Post
Developers are known to drag their feet on moving developments forward. Many projects die because the developer never pays the city and the project sits until payment. Not unusual as developers never use their money. so will do a proposal start the getting the cards etc lined up and then sell investment spots. this is when they move forward
And yes developers deserve some too, they're profiting from this crisis, especially when they hold and flip land.

I originally was pointing out that the timeline would likely be decades based on similar large scale projects in NW, which seemingly take longer than similar scale projects in peer cities. The city absolutely does not deserve all the blame, no single party does. However when the track record shows we're underperforming our peer cities, that's something worth acknowledging and addressing if we're serious about doing something about our crisis.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2023, 6:08 PM

I get the sense the main roadblock with the city is the size of their planning department. Council doesn't seem to cause delays by hemming and hawing.

Old Posted May 4, 2023, 1:58 AM

Douglas College expansion pre-construction & excavation RFQ: https://www.merx.com/public/supplier...tract?origin=0

I didn't realise this is more than just student housing, there will be 30 classrooms in the lower floors.
https://www.douglascollege.ca/about-...tion/808-royal

Old Posted May 4, 2023, 4:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madog222 View Post
Douglas College expansion pre-construction & excavation RFQ: https://www.merx.com/public/supplier...tract?origin=0

I didn't realise this is more than just student housing, there will be 30 classrooms in the lower floors.
https://www.douglascollege.ca/about-...tion/808-royal
It will be the new home of the psychology department.

Old Posted May 13, 2023, 7:24 PM

2023, May 13

Construction begins on 29-storey rental tower in New Westminter's Uptown

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/616-...ban-properties

Untitled by Lexus LX600, on Flickr

Old Posted May 16, 2023, 9:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
Pic by me May 14th:

100 Braid Street.

Reposting here.

Old Posted May 17, 2023, 2:22 AM

Good to see that finally getting above grade, the crane has been up for just over a year now.

Old Posted May 26, 2023, 2:29 AM

Old Posted May 27, 2023, 8:13 PM

Got an ad for this in the (snail) mail - Timber House (Port Royal / Queensborough)
Quote:
Part of a master-plan community, this multi-family housing development sits along the Fraser River waterfront. The architectural design of these modern homes is inspired by its industrial surroundings. The design challenge was to create a cost-effective kit-of-parts mass timber structural system for this building – one that could be exposed within the units.

The midrise U-shaped complex features 77 units in three configurations: condos, lofts, and townhomes –all wrapped around a central landscaped courtyard. Cross-laminated timber will not only be used as the primary structure but also as the interior finish in strategic areas. In general, each unit has one exposed ceiling and one exposed feature wall.

Old Posted May 28, 2023, 2:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
təməsew̓txʷ Aquatic and Community Centre
Nice building with a bs name. Nobody will call it that.

Old Posted May 28, 2023, 9:10 AM
perhaps . . .

I was just in the area and this project has come along nicely. It will be a great facility except for not having the one additional swimming lane so that the pool can be used for high level competitions. Too bad for New West, but really its too bad for the region as a whole.

I noticed the name on the hording: no one will ever use this name. I think the first nations naming (in the region) has been fumbled by deciding that the use of the linguistic expression of the names is paramount. This has had the consequence that 'unintelligible' spelling has alienated most people (including many of our indigenous fellows). This convention for spelling Indigenous languages came about in order to control and record the sounds used that European languages do not register. It won't work, and dooms the native naming strategy as a whole. And it also just bates petty minds to express their inner race based angers . . . yes, that's you Klazu.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley