HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted May 25, 2023, 4:54 PM

Remember my post a few days ago of the Depression era Do-Nut Shop in Hollywood that no one cared much about.

Before

There's Sally again with her tousled hair.

The eBay seller now has a couple of photographs of the interior after it was remodeled.

After

eBay

This next photograph has people posing - no doubt the owners.

I spy Sally! ...It appears she had a make-over too.

So where is 1032 No. W. Ave? I take it

Last edited by ethereal_reality; May 25, 2023 at 5:55 PM.

Old Posted May 25, 2023, 5:15 PM

Never mind. I found it.

1032 No. Western Avenue.............................

GSV

Have we seen this interesting apartment building before? ...I ask because it has some really nice details -especially around the court yard.

hmm I wonder if Sally lived there?

10 minutes later:

Now that I've looked at it longer it's starting to ring a bell. I think it might be where Ed Ruscha lived at one point. Does anyone know for sure?

Last edited by ethereal_reality; May 25, 2023 at 6:03 PM.

Old Posted May 25, 2023, 7:03 PM

I found a baker named Donald R Owens at 1032 N Western Avenue in the 1935 CD. In the 1934 CD he was a salesman for another baker named Dale M Stewart at 2632 Pasadena Avenue. That's the nearest I got going another year or two either side, and no sign of Sally!

Old Posted May 26, 2023, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post

Never mind. I found it.

1032 No. Western Avenue.............................

GSV

Have we seen this interesting apartment building before? ...I ask because it has some really nice details -especially around the court yard.

hmm I wonder if Sally lived there?

10 minutes later:

Now that I've looked at it longer it's starting to ring a bell. I think it might be where Ed Ruscha lived at one point. Does anyone know for sure?
Ed Ruscha owns the courtyard complex. I've been to several art openings there.

Old Posted May 26, 2023, 2:22 AM

mcachicago.org

Ed in his Western Avenue studio in the early 1970s.

brandonmclean.tumblr.com

The courtyard complex wayback when it was Holloway Shopping Court.

cdnc.ucr.edu - Daily News (Los Angeles), 16 August 1925

Over fifty years later, Charles Holloway's creation made an appearance in a 1977 episode of Charlie's Angels.

dailymotion.com

Forty five years of tree growth.

GSV

Last edited by Noir_Noir; May 26, 2023 at 2:46 AM.

Old Posted May 26, 2023, 3:14 AM

Quote:

Here's an interesting look inside a Hollywood donut shop at the heights of the depression.

eBay

And the reverse.

For search purposes:...Do-Nut Shop - 1032 No. W. Ave - Hollywood Calif. - 1933-1934 - Sally

I thought the wall was in distress but if you look closely there's some kind of art deco(?) design going on.

detail

I'd love to know what colors were used.

1928 color chart.

eBay

I'm guessing Coral Sand and. .um. .India Ivory.

I'm looking at your original picture and I see something I've not seen since I was 5 years old, a metal coffee funnel. That's it behind the alarm clock near the metal coffee pot. I'm guessing that was the "drip" coffee system of the day. Again, i guess that there's a cotton bag that goes into the funnel to hold the coffee grounds. The funnel sits in the coffee pot and boiling water is poured in from somewhere or something. Then, you would need to deal with this soggy bag of grounds and probably wash the bag. I'd bet many a server was scalded using the coffee funnel.

Aside from that, Sally is cute. Just the kind of person you want to serve you when you are not quite awake and on your way to work.

Old Posted May 26, 2023, 2:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nealberke View Post
I'm looking at your original picture and I see something I've not seen since I was 5 years old, a metal coffee funnel. That's it behind the alarm clock near the metal coffee pot. I'm guessing that was the "drip" coffee system of the day. Again, i guess that there's a cotton bag that goes into the funnel to hold the coffee grounds. The funnel sits in the coffee pot and boiling water is poured in from somewhere or something. Then, you would need to deal with this soggy bag of grounds and probably wash the bag. I'd bet many a server was scalded using the coffee funnel.

Aside from that, Sally is cute. Just the kind of person you want to serve you when you are not quite awake and on your way to work.

For commercial purposes, metal may have been more durable. But despite their obvious fragility, some coffee maker funnels may have been made of glass, too.

https://i.etsystatic.com/19725022/r/...79470_m29c.jpg

https://i.etsystatic.com/7735906/r/i...65111_7j6l.jpg

Old Posted May 26, 2023, 7:36 PM

Er, those are both vacuum brewers. Heat pressurizes the water in the lower vessel, which then rises to the upper one holding the ground coffee. As the lower cools the coffee is sucked back down into the lower one. Sort of a mix between pour over and a percolator.

https://www.proctorsilex.com/buildin...pper%20chamber.

Cheers,

Earl

Old Posted May 26, 2023, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl Boebert View Post
Er, those are both vacuum brewers. Heat pressurizes the water in the lower vessel, which then rises to the upper one holding the ground coffee. As the lower cools the coffee is sucked back down into the lower one. Sort of a mix between pour over and a percolator.

https://www.proctorsilex.com/buildin...pper%20chamber.

Cheers,

Earl
1. And, that explains why the funnels have a long bottom "spout" to let water rise into the so called "funnel".
2. Am I right about a cotton bag to keep the grounds from going into the coffee pot?
3. And, it explains the rubber gasket. It adds stablity and maintains the vacuum seal.
4. I looked at the photos and "someone" on etsy has a nice collection of old coffee makers.

Old Posted May 26, 2023, 11:53 PM

To give credit where credit is do it was Godzille who posted the vacuum brewers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noir_Noir View Post
The courtyard complex wayback when it was Holloway Shopping Court.

cdnc.ucr.edu - Daily News (Los Angeles), 16 August 1925
Amazing find. Thanks Noir Noir.

Here are some of the shop/retail spaces that are towards the back of the property....

I imagine the average Angeleno doesn't know it exists.

If you look at this GSV aerial you can see where the shops are located.

Last edited by ethereal_reality; May 27, 2023 at 12:20 AM.

Old Posted May 27, 2023, 1:37 AM

Noirish films or books show the world as being unpleasant, strange, or cruel: The book is a noirish teen drama. The film has several plot twists and a dark, noirish look.

Old Posted May 27, 2023, 3:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nealberke View Post
1. And, that explains why the funnels have a long bottom "spout" to let water rise into the so called "funnel".
2. Am I right about a cotton bag to keep the grounds from going into the coffee pot?
3. And, it explains the rubber gasket. It adds stablity and maintains the vacuum seal.
4. I looked at the photos and "someone" on etsy has a nice collection of old coffee makers.
All I know is what I read on the web I don’t think I’ve ever seen one of those things “in action,” as it were.

Cheers,

Earl

Old Posted May 27, 2023, 3:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl Boebert View Post
All I know is what I read on the web I don’t think I’ve ever seen one of those things “in action,” as it were.

Cheers,

Earl
I found some YouTube videos of vintage vacuum pots in use. A glass rod keeps the grounds from going into the coffee pot but lets water up into the upper chamber (?). I'd guess you would wipe grounds into the trash with a paper towel following brewing. I wouldn't wash then down the drain.

The brew process is more of a "soak" than a percolator, drip or boil method of making coffee. Fans say it makes great coffee.
Here's a YouTube link to a vacuum pot in action. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bln62gbDOXM

Old Posted May 27, 2023, 3:54 PM

Here's Katharine Hepburn making coffee in one of these pots in 1942's Woman of the Year:

For just the "coffee brewing" parts start at the beginning of this clip (10 seconds in really) and stay until 3 mins. in...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ARboCGPyyQ

...and start at 2 mins. 50 secs. in this one for the finale!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhHwIozba0I

I had a roommate around 1983 who had one of these and it was a great novelty for awhile, but became a bit of a chore when you really don't have to make coffee this way any more.

Old Posted May 27, 2023, 9:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Pal View Post

Here's Katharine Hepburn making coffee in one of these pots in 1942's Woman of the Year:

For just the "coffee brewing" parts start at the beginning of this clip (10 seconds in really) and stay until 3 mins. in...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ARboCGPyyQ

...and start at 2 mins. 50 secs. in this one for the finale!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhHwIozba0I

I had a roommate around 1983 who had one of these and it was a great novelty for awhile, but became a bit of a chore when you really don't have to make coffee this way any more.
Oh my goodness! Send Ms. Hepburn an "adulting" book, LOL. It's grounds on top (put the glass rod in first) and water on the bottom. And, enough fire on that burner to forge horse shoes. I've not seen a stove like that except in thrift stores and that was years ago.

Old Posted May 27, 2023, 10:00 PM

I remember this scene from Woman of the Year. It's one of my favorites & there are practically no lines for 7 minutes!

Thanks for digging it up Martin Pal.

I remember my parents having a coffee carafe that looked something like this.

PYREX

So. .um. .why this shape? Did it have other duties besides being a carafe?

Last edited by ethereal_reality; May 27, 2023 at 10:25 PM.

Old Posted May 28, 2023, 12:28 AM

Great Anniversery / Wedding gifts of the day.

Quote:

I remember this scene from Woman of the Year. It's one of my favorites & there are practically no lines for 7 minutes!

Thanks for digging it up Martin Pal.

I remember my parents having a coffee carafe that looked something like this.

PYREX

So. .um. .why this shape? Did it have other duties besides being a carafe?

There are many different Pyrex carafe shapes that have survived since the 1960's It looks like they were sold with warming stands to keep served beverages hot. Maybe the warming stand was purchased seperately. The heat source for the warmer was a tea candle. There are mini versions of the carafe for single servings, some of those appear with warming stands too. My guess is that shape looked good and fit nicely in the warming stand.

They look like just the thing to give as a wedding or anniversery gift. My parents had one too. If your parents were like mine, they took gifts they didn't need or want and sold them via The Gift Exchange in West L.A. or the Ad Mart in Tujunga.

I am starting to miss stuff like this even though my wife and I don't entertain that much. There are a lot of classy looking carafes to trot out with company and it looks like they would be fun to use.

I've not mastered the art of posting photos so I will post some links, here:
https://hautejuice.wordpress.com/201...arming-stands/

https://www.ecrater.com/p/25625466/v...rex-brand-mini

https://www.etsy.com/listing/9808294...-carafe-silver

https://www.amazon.com/Stonebriar-Bu...71842064&psc=1

Last edited by nealberke; May 28, 2023 at 1:25 AM.

Old Posted May 29, 2023, 5:03 PM

Do you remember the old postcard of the Sea Specimens inside the Bishop & Co. Store?

Earlier today I happened upon a postcard of two men posing with a Bishop & Co. delivery(?) truck.

eBay

Note the 1911 postmark.

oooooooor. .maybe it isn't a delivery truck.

What do you think are in these bins?

detail

I can't figure it out.

Old Posted May 29, 2023, 6:51 PM

The seller says it's a crackers truck. I briefly toyed with the idea that they were Christmas crackers, but I think they are the savory food kind. Here's an undated picture I found. The description says "A packaged display rack of Bishop's crackers and cookies.".

LAPL

Old Posted May 30, 2023, 11:04 AM

I'm pretty sure we've seen posts regarding Bishop & Company before but more on the company and the family is here.

LAPL

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos