HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted May 12, 2023, 4:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by downtownphxguy12 View Post
utility work underway
Considerable construction activity underway now at Henri although it's not yet going vertical. I did notice a website I hadn't seen posted before. Looks sorta similar to the Toll Brothers project on Indian School and Central. Pretty good project for that corner.

https://www.livehenri.com/

Old Posted May 12, 2023, 6:20 PM

Edit- it's going in where there's currently a Motel 6 by the freeway...

https://azbex.com/planning-developme...r-55th-street/

Old Posted May 12, 2023, 8:17 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by azsunsurfer View Post
Edit- it's going in where there's currently a Motel 6 by the freeway...

https://azbex.com/planning-developme...r-55th-street/
Awesome! I noticed there was a fence around that Motel 6 last week. I used to live nearby and that Motel 6 was horrid for the area. Glad to see this spot getting an upgrade.

Old Posted May 12, 2023, 9:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrestedSaguaro View Post
Awesome! I noticed there was a fence around that Motel 6 last week. I used to live nearby and that Motel 6 was horrid for the area. Glad to see this spot getting an upgrade.
Did it attract a lot of crime to the area?

Old Posted May 12, 2023, 10:41 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by azsunsurfer View Post
Did it attract a lot of crime to the area?
There were quite a few incidents that required police calls. I lived nearby about 5 years. I would purposely cross the street in order to not have to walk by.

Old Posted May 13, 2023, 6:13 AM

Van Buren St. Project

If you look at the map this project they are writing about is really just east of 53rd St. and Van Buren. So glad they are nuking that Motel 6 hope they can fill the gap between that and that new storage place just east of the 52nd St and 202 Exit. Also behind the new Arizona Humane Society Building truly at 55th and Van Buren there is a tilt up concrete building that is a nightmare to live next to where I live while in Phoenix in the Red Rox Complex to it's west. This building was built as an industrial building but is rented out as apartments I assume illegally and their is constant noise and drag racing up and down 55th St. at all hours of the night. Presently there is proposal to build an apartment complex behind and to the south of that. I have e mailed the developer of that project telling them do something about that tilt up concrete building before they change the zoning allowing them to build their apartment building because their tenants will be constantly calling the PHX Police about the noise coming from that tilt up building like we are doing constantly from the Red Rox Community.

Old Posted May 13, 2023, 6:20 AM
Skyriser

Phoenix Police won't do anything about the illegal use but the code enforcers certainly will.

https://www.phoenix.gov/nsd

99% of the time there's an illegal use there's other hazards as well like unpermitted electrical work or some other fire danger so you have every right to call, especially because these illegal uses often have spillover effects like you're experiencing.

Old Posted May 13, 2023, 3:06 PM

Van Buren Nightmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
Phoenix Police won't do anything about the illegal use but the code enforcers certainly will.

https://www.phoenix.gov/nsd

99% of the time there's an illegal use there's other hazards as well like unpermitted electrical work or some other fire danger so you have every right to call, especially because these illegal uses often have spillover effects like you're experiencing.
Thanks much appreciated.

Old Posted May 17, 2023, 5:08 PM

PUD for big proposed development (~600 units) near 44th St. and the 202:

https://www.phoenix.gov/pddsite/Docu.../Z-25-23-8.pdf

Old Posted May 18, 2023, 3:55 AM
Skyriser

^ Huge project in a weird area. Doesn't seem realistic as the owner is an out of state family.

It's crazy how much of that area was rural/exurban before the 202 and was almost immediately cleared out after though...

Old Posted May 18, 2023, 5:03 PM

Quote:
^ Huge project in a weird area. Doesn't seem realistic as the owner is an out of state family.

It's crazy how much of that area was rural/exurban before the 202 and was almost immediately cleared out after though...
I'm not sure I agree, there are already a few absolutely massive apartment complexes already and its a very central location with easy access to a lot of areas plus its in prime gentrification zone between the 202 north to Thomas.

Also are you confused on the location? This is right in the middle of the city.

Old Posted May 18, 2023, 5:29 PM

I think that apartment complex makes a lot of sense and continues the trend of redevelopment southwards. Along 44th the mantra used to be "avoid going south of Indian School". Then it was Osborn, then Thomas (still can be dicey) and now pushing further south to Oak and McDowell. I'd be happy to see continued gentrification heading towards the 202. It wasn't too long ago that McDowell and 44th was scary as shit.

Old Posted May 19, 2023, 5:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
I'm not sure I agree, there are already a few absolutely massive apartment complexes already and its a very central location with easy access to a lot of areas plus its in prime gentrification zone between the 202 north to Thomas.

Also are you confused on the location? This is right in the middle of the city.
Yeah this is literally dead center between central Phoenix, downtown Scottsdale, and Tempe/ASU. The location totally makes sense.

Old Posted May 20, 2023, 6:08 AM
Skyriser

Just seems a little odd that such a dense project is tucked away on a neighborhood street like that, that's all.

And the southern end of 44th St hasn't seen that much development this cycle too.

Old Posted May 25, 2023, 6:33 PM

New Developments the replacement of the old Pruitt Store:

And a new affordable housing place right north of that Planet themed school where Washington and Jefferson Splits at 25th street on an empty lot

https://azbex.com/planning-developme...ordable-units/

Quote:
Urban Housing Solutions 35th Street & Thomas

In the first proposal, Urban Housing Solutions LLC wants to build 201 units at the NEC of 35th Street and Thomas Road on 3.5 acres currently owned by and serving as the location for Mount of Olives Lutheran Church.

According to the submitted project narrative, “The Project is the result of thoughtful reflection of how to meet housing needs in this area of Phoenix for individuals with existing jobs or seeking future employment opportunities. The development not only meets the practical needs of future residents, but also provides a modern, unique, and community-focused living experience.”

Unlike many workforce-oriented apartment communities—which usually focus solely on creating units available at lower-than-market-rate rents—the UHS plan includes 24-hour on-site security and community social services for residents, including a comprehensive community center that will be administered by non-profit service providers free of charge for residents. Potential services include after-school activities like “computer training…, health screenings, service referral sources for military veterans, GED and ESL classes, etc.”

To create the project, UHS has requested a rezoning from Multi-Family Residence and Limited Commercial to Planned Unit Development. According to the submitted narrative, “The PUD allows UHS to create an inviting community with a purpose to provide more affordable housing options where standard zoning classifications are incompatible. The PUD zoning option also allows the project to create tailor-made development standards specific to this development and allow flexibility based on the proposed conceptual design and future site layout.”

The community will feature studios, one-, two- and three-bedroom units, but the narrative and supporting documents do not specify a breakdown of specific counts according to size. Building height will be a maximum of four stories and 48 feet. The plan also features roughly 11.4KSF of open space and two indoor community areas totaling a combined 2.2KSF.

Given the location on a busy section of Thomas Road, the proposal emphasizes the development’s extensive surrounding commercial and retail outlets and proximity to public transportation as contributing to its walkability, and community accessibility for residents.

The landowner is Mount of Olives Lutheran Church. Urban Housing Solutions LLC is the developer. The design firm is Orcutt | Winslow, and the project is represented by Tiffany & Bosco, P.A. No meetings or public hearings have been scheduled by the City of Phoenix as of press time.

Washington Affordable Housing

Game Day Real Estate is proposing a 96-unit affordable housing development near the NEC of Washington and 25th streets.

According to the staff report originally submitted in March, the request looks “to rezone a 2.39-acre site located approximately 250 feet east of the northeast corner of 25th Street and Washington Street from A-1 TOD-2 (Light Industrial District, Interim Transit-Oriented Zoning Overlay District Two) and R-4 TOD-2 (Multifamily Residence District, Interim Transit-Oriented Zoning Overlay District Two) to WU Code T5:5 GW (Walkable Urban Code, Transect 5:5 District, Transit Gateway Character Area) and WU Code T4:3 GW (Walkable Urban Code, Transect 4:3 District, Transit Gateway Character Area) to allow multifamily residential.”

The current land use designation limits residential development to 10-to-15 units/acre. The proposed development would create a community of slightly more than 40. The rezoning is needed to allow the proposal to proceed, but a General Plan amendment is not necessary since the site is smaller than 10 acres.

Since the site is located within a quarter mile of the 24th Street/Washington Street/Jefferson Street light rail stations and in the Gateway Transit Oriented Development District, staff has found the multifamily proposal to be appropriate under its General Plan conformity goals.

The development would create two apartment buildings with a combined total of 96 units. The planned unit mix consists of 33 efficiencies, 54 one-bedroom units in two different styles and nine two-bedroom units. The buildings would be three stories with a maximum height of 40 feet and frontage on Washington and Adams streets.

To enhance the project’s walkability and intermodal transportation connectivity, planning staff recommendations include a common entry for each building fronting a street, a mix of secure and guest bicycle parking, the inclusion of a bicycle repair station on the property, and detached sidewalks with a five-foot landscape strip along Adams Street and a 10-foot-wide landscape strip along Washington. The sidewalks should be shaded to at least 75% when the trees fully mature, the report says.

A bicycle maintenance area is among the intended amenities featured on the submitted preliminary site plan. Others include an office/meeting room, a 500SF barbeque and seating area and a 500SF “tot lot” open space area.

Game Day Real Estate is the developer. The architect is Ross Design Group L.L.C. The project is represented by Earl & Curley, PC.

Phoenix City Council approved the request at its May 3 meeting.

Old Posted May 31, 2023, 5:54 PM

New house or possibly a couple small MF units being built on an empty lot in Roosevelt. It will look similar to the Spanish style 20s-30s house to its left.

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.4581...8192?entry=ttu

I like seeing these final empty SF lots in Roosevelt fill up. High-rises and all the rest of the low to mid rise stuff being built everywhere is nice, but these tiny old lots getting filled is so nice too.

Does anyone know the status of the old historic home on the SEC of 3rd Ave & McKinley? I thought there was talk of moving it to one of the last few tiny empty lots. I'd imagine its own lot will be developed with something much bigger and more dense quite soon. Hopefully the house lives somewhere else and isn't just razed.

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.4563...8192?entry=ttu

Old Posted May 31, 2023, 7:32 PM
Skyriser

That house has since sold so it looks like whatever was going to be developed there is long dead.

That being said, I don't get how you can buy a house for $1.7 million and put up a chain link fence around it for going on two years now.

I would *almost* say the value is in the land and they're demolishing it by neglect knowing they'd never get a permit, but I traced the owner to Metrowest who is very, very slow at developing much of anything.

The saga of nothing ever happening continues...

Old Posted May 31, 2023, 7:56 PM

I worked on metrowest as a client as far back as 2019 and they claimed they were within 12 months of starting construction at McKinley and 2nd

Sometimes I don't understand how these developers stay open when they never develop anything.

Old Posted May 31, 2023, 10:26 PM

Quote:
That house has since sold so it looks like whatever was going to be developed there is long dead.

That being said, I don't get how you can buy a house for $1.7 million and put up a chain link fence around it for going on two years now.

I would *almost* say the value is in the land and they're demolishing it by neglect knowing they'd never get a permit, but I traced the owner to Metrowest who is very, very slow at developing much of anything.

The saga of nothing ever happening continues...
If anyone recalls, the City of Phoenix had issued a RFP (gasp) for the city-owned lot at 814 N 5th Ave (next to The Teapot). MetroWest won this RFP and they were supposed to move the Sergeant/Oldaker house (which they purchased) to this empty lot. This is probably dead on arrival.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
I worked on metrowest as a client as far back as 2019 and they claimed they were within 12 months of starting construction at McKinley and 2nd

Sometimes I don't understand how these developers stay open when they never develop anything.
2nd Ave Residences always surprised me that it never got off the ground. Last I remember, they were supposed to break ground after The McKinley next door was completed since the lot was being used for staging. Another dead project.

Is MetroWest still even around? I saw something on social media last week and one of its partners (Matt Seaman) is no longer w/ them and is now part of another development group. Union Phase 2 was supposed to be another MetroWest project but was sold off to another developer who was quickly able to get it off the ground.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2023, 9:40 PM

Not sure if it’s been discussed here yet but there’s an interesting project in the backyard of three separate historic homes on Portland just east of 5th street. The developer is requesting a variance to add parking and access through the alley, that meeting is scheduled for 6/22.

Different style of infill project and seems like it will utilize the existing homes while improving the lots.

https://truenorthstudio.com/projects/the-bungalows/

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest