HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > General

Old Posted Aug 9, 2022, 9:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atbw View Post
Toward the top at Brunswick the turning lane gets use, but overall the road feels super overbuilt. Similar to Albemarle, it feels super big for what it is.
Sure, probably doesn't need 4 lanes there. I won't suggest adding parking spaces because I know that won't fly on this forum...

Maybe there's an opportunity to build something that relates to the sidewalk at the area of Scotia Square bordering Duke and Albermarle. Like, remove a lane, extend the sidewalk to the edge of the old lane, and use the inboard space to build something, like shops, cafes, pubs, axe throwing joints, whatever and help take the edge off the dead zone that exists there.

There was a proposal for that corner, but I forget what was being planned or if it's even going to happen (and am too lazy to look it up )...

Old Posted Aug 10, 2022, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atbw View Post
Toward the top at Brunswick the turning lane gets use, but overall the road feels super overbuilt. Similar to Albemarle, it feels super big for what it is.
Finally the opportunity for the much-needed sidewalk escalators to go up and down Duke St.!

Old Posted Aug 10, 2022, 12:14 PM
Cap the Cut!

How about a street car route right up the centre? ....up to Robie and over to Spring Garden then down Barrington then rinse an repeat.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2022, 12:09 PM

Halifax ReTales on twitter reporting that Krispy Kreme was just here in Halifax scouting a location for 2023/24 opening.

https://krispykreme.ca

Last edited by q12; Aug 20, 2022 at 12:21 PM.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2022, 4:24 PM
hi

Cashier-less grocery/convenience store set to open in the George. The company, Aisle 24, is eyeing 8-10 HRM locations in the next 5 years.

Halifax Is Getting Its First 24/7 Cashier-less Grocery And Convenience Store

Old Posted Dec 20, 2022, 4:41 PM

Quote:
T&T Supermarket Opens First and Largest Store in Montreal with Expansion Plans for 2023

As for future stores, Lee said the company will see how things go with the launch of the Montreal store and Atlantic Canada is a possibility.

“That would be pretty amazing. I think one day I’d like to be there,” said Lee.
https://retail-insider.com/retail-in...023-interview/

Looks like there is a good chance of seeing a T&T Supermarket in Halifax in the near future.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2022, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by q12 View Post
Looks like there is a good chance of seeing a T&T Supermarket in Halifax in the near future.
I wonder how you define "good". Lots of dots to be connected here.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2022, 2:22 PM
Halifax Promoter!

I'd love to see a FreshCo. set up here... Sobeys doesn't have an alternative to No Frills in Atlantic Canada

Old Posted Jan 18, 2023, 8:16 PM

Eighteen months or so ago in this thread, there was some musing about the possibility that Zellers might rise, phoenix-like, from the ashes and return to the Halifax marketplace. And, it appears, that will happen sometime in the next few months. Hudson Bay has apparently deemed their experiment of installing Zellers pop-ups inside a couple of Bay locations to be a success and will now roll out 25 more of them across the country. Included will be both the remaining HBC stores in Nova Scotia, at Mic Mac Mall and Sydney's Mayflower Mall. Now if only they'd bring back the Skillet Restaurant. Zed burger anyone?

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/zel...-bay-1.6717622

Seriously, the decision is intriguing, given that consumer reaction to the first installations seemed to be mixed. It was reported that some consumers were complaining that the merchandise was not much different and no cheaper than the regular Bay inventory. Without a distinctive product line its hard to see what would keep customers returning.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2023, 5:17 AM

Also, I heard on the TV news that part of the strategy is to launch a Zellers online shopping site. The site's up now, but just in 'coming soon' mode at the moment: https://www.zellers.ca/

I'm not sure how it will work out but as mentioned I think it will be largely contingent on the merchandise being offered - is it unique (or at least not a lot of overlap with The Bay), budget-priced (which was Zellers market position), and selections plentiful enough to draw people in. Or, if not total budget-conscious, then unique, interesting items that will offer something different than everyone else. Otherwise, it will satisfy the nostalgia aspect for awhile, but likely fizzle out.

Personally, any place that gives me the option of buying low cost items that's not Walmart is a positive (disclaimer: I hate Walmart... ). I hope it works out for them.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2023, 7:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teddifax View Post
I'd love to see a FreshCo. set up here... Sobeys doesn't have an alternative to No Frills in Atlantic Canada
It's weird that No Frills itself hasn't really caught on here either. I think there are 2 or 3 in HRM but it's not really "common" here like in some parts of the country. Most people on the Peninsula (or in most of the suburbs for that matter) aren't going to go all the way to Spryfield or Dartmouth just to get a slightly better deal on groceries. And people who would commit to going that far on a regular basis usually just end up getting a Costco membership.

The fact that most of the grocery stores here are average-to-high-end or small niche places with markups is part of what makes living here less and less affordable. There are also the markets but these are usually more expensive than the grocery stores, and there are ways to buy from farmers/distributors in bulk that save money overall but these typically aren't very convenient and most people don't know about them. I think this is part of why NS is often cited as having "poor food security" etc despite the fact that so many crops are grown here. Having 2 main corporate chains control almost all of the grocery stores in the province is also a bit problematic - when one of them has company-wide network issues affecting payment or inventory systems, 1/2 the grocery stores in the province are affected and may or may not be able to work around it. (and this has happened)

The best deals here actually tend to be at that Loblaws-version-of-Costco near Mumford/Chebucto. Most people don't realize it's there.

Last edited by Hali87; Jan 19, 2023 at 8:14 AM.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2023, 5:42 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Isn't No Frills more or less just a smaller Superstore that has less higher end stuff? I figured the low end stuff was the same and priced similarly. The difference would be that some places will have a No Frills but aren't busy enough or don't have space for a full Superstore.

One thing in NS is the population densities are often just quite low. Small towns around here have expensive groceries too, provided by one or two small local shops. Even suburban and urban Halifax traditionally had this kind of characteristic and somewhat low densities that can't support a lot of stores within one small geographic area. In most provinces the average is shifted a lot by one or two major metropolitan areas.

It's not just the development style that contributes to the low density but also poor transportation connectivity and large green or wilderness spaces. Most commercial locations have a low population within 5-10 minutes. And often very tight commercial zoning that was probably locked down by Sobeys decades ago.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2023, 6:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hali87 View Post
Having 2 main corporate chains control almost all of the grocery stores in the province is also a bit problematic - when one of them has company-wide network issues affecting payment or inventory systems, 1/2 the grocery stores in the province are affected and may or may not be able to work around it. (and this has happened)
I think the dearth of competition is even worse for the local market. Sadly, it was utterly predictable and inevitable when Empire was allowed to swallow Oshawa Group.

Quote:
The best deals here actually tend to be at that Loblaws-version-of-Costco near Mumford/Chebucto. Most people don't realize it's there.
And it's been there for many decades.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2023, 4:57 PM

AllNS reported today that the first Adidas store in Atlantic Canada is slated to open in Dartmouth Crossing (74 Hector Gate).

Old Posted Apr 27, 2023, 5:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalkid View Post
AllNS reported today that the first Adidas store in Atlantic Canada is slated to open in Dartmouth Crossing (74 Hector Gate).

Awesome! I was thinking not to long ago with a Puma store at DC I wonder how long it will take before an Adidas store opens.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2023, 5:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalkid View Post
...and that Nike may not be too far off either.

But I'm probably done buying sneakers, so...whatever. I must say, I spent a silly amount of money on basketball shoes over the decades. I contributed way too much to Phil Knight's net worth, whatever it might be.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2023, 6:27 PM

Speaking of shoes (lol), AllNS also reported that 'Centrall' would be opening its first store outside of Quebec in HSC this May. Sounds like they focus on expensive, out-of-production and collectible sneakers. They have 5 stores in Quebec.

Old Posted May 25, 2023, 1:17 PM

Canadian Asian supermarket chain T&T Supermarket has opened it's 32nd location in Canada in a Toronto area Mall.

Quote:

Recently, it also announced it will be opening a new store in London, Ontario. The company confirmed the store, which is expected to open in Summer of 2024

“In the next few weeks, we’ll have a couple of new location announcements too,” added Lee.
https://retail-insider.com/retail-in...ion-interview/

With a London store announced, it sounds like a good possibility that a Halifax location could be coming soon based on statements from the CEO over the last year.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2023, 7:29 PM

There is a larger sized Asian grocer called e-joy
going in the bottom of Margaretta on Clyde

Old Posted Jun 18, 2023, 3:27 PM

Building Permits;

- Bubble Tea will be opening up in Boss Plaza (Supreme Court, Halifax).

- Jukai Japenese & Thai will be opening up a new location in West Bedford at Larry Uteck Plaza. There will also be a "dog grooming and pet cafe" in that plaza as well.

- Steak & Stein's former Young Street location will become three separate unnamed retail units.

- Planet Fitness will be opening a location in Halifax Shopping Centre Annex.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > General