HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Old Posted Oct 2, 2022, 7:27 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Old Posted Oct 4, 2022, 12:34 PM

St. John's Council Approves Parish Lane Development

Finally. If it looks like the renderings it will be a great asset to the area

https://www.saltwire.com/newfoundlan...ent-100779555/

Old Posted Oct 31, 2022, 5:18 PM

So government announced its replacing St Clare’s Hospital,possibly being built on the old Grace Hospital grounds. Who saw that coming?

https://vocm.com/2022/10/31/province...ares-hospital/

Old Posted Oct 31, 2022, 5:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrakis View Post
So government announced its replacing St Clare’s Hospital,possibly being built on the old Grace Hospital grounds. Who saw that coming?

The Grace site is fairly small and constrained once you factor in parking

Old Posted Nov 8, 2022, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCGA View Post
The Grace site is fairly small and constrained once you factor in parking
If that site is indeed chosen - will that mean the need to build up instead of out?

Old Posted Nov 8, 2022, 1:55 PM

I would imagine that a new hospital on that site will likely have the same footprint and height as the current St. Clare's.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2022, 3:03 PM

Given the way the population growth has happened on the northeast avalon(and factoring in future growth)...I don't know why you would put a new hospital at either of the former hospital sites.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2022, 2:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodgrowth View Post
Given the way the population growth has happened on the northeast avalon(and factoring in future growth)...I don't know why you would put a new hospital at either of the former hospital sites.
I thought the same thing. I would think it’d make more sense to have it in the west end to provide better service to Paradise/CBS/Mount Pearl. I’m sure Danny would sell land in Galway for a hospital.

No doubt politics will be in play. The Health Minister’s district is in this area and the Liberals have become stronger in urban St. John’s compared to the suburban communities.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2022, 2:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoscStudent View Post
I thought the same thing. I would think it’d make more sense to have it in the west end to provide better service to Paradise/CBS/Mount Pearl. I’m sure Danny would sell land in Galway for a hospital.

No doubt politics will be in play. The Health Minister’s district is in this area and the Liberals have become stronger in urban St. John’s compared to the suburban communities.
Between the combined population of Mt Pearl, Paradise, CBS and the future growth planned around Kenmount Hill and Galway it would be dumb to put it at the former hospital sites. The population center of the metro area is a lot different than it was 50 years ago and has increasingly less to do with St. John's proper.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2022, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodgrowth View Post
Between the combined population of Mt Pearl, Paradise, CBS and the future growth planned around Kenmount Hill and Galway it would be dumb to put it at the former hospital sites. The population center of the metro area is a lot different than it was 50 years ago and has increasingly less to do with St. John's proper.
I’m in CBS, for me to get blood work done (for free) I need to go to one of the hospitals or to Majors Path. Not that that is a big deal but considering that CBS and Paradise have 50,000 residents, there should be some sort of health care facility closer.

So if they’re building a hospital (and I don’t know if that’s even necessary), I think Galway could be a nice central area to service the western part of the metro area. I’m sure there are other options as well, ones that would probably make even more sense.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2022, 5:06 PM

Say goodbye to the Atlantic Place food court

https://www.saltwire.com/newfoundlan...ing-100797872/

Quote:
ST. JOHN'S, N.L. — The last time The Telegram spoke with Charlie Oliver about the future of Atlantic Place, he was optimistic about potential new tenants and a repurposing for the downtown building, and that repurposing is proceeding as planned, he told The Telegram on Monday, Nov. 21, with two new tenants coming into the building and two existing ones planning to expand.

Oliver is the president of Martek, which manages Atlantic Place for Halifax-based Southwest Properties. He said he’s excited to see the changes coming, some of which they’ve been working on for years.

“Sometimes you can do a commercial real estate deal in a month or two months and sometimes it takes two years. It’s just the nature of the industry,” he said. “We’ve worked on a strategy for Atlantic Place for three-four years now, to attract the young, tech, startup companies that want the co-working environments downtown can provide, and it all came together in the matter of a few weeks.”

Carnegie Learning, a U.S.-based educational technology company, has leased 10,250 square feet of office space in the corner that currently houses Jumping Bean and the public washrooms, which will be moved.

Duxion Motors, a St. John’s-based electric aerospace startup, is leasing 4,000 square feet upstairs, and engineering company Aker Solutions is expanding its space in the building, redeveloping 12,000 square feet of office space for its expansion.

Oliver said a regentrification of the downtown is happening because of the growth of the tech sector in the city, and he expects to see more of those companies move to the area.

The main floor is being extensively altered, with Jumping Bean being moved to the Water Street side of the building, and the long-suffering food court being removed entirely.

Oliver said the plan is to also redesign and update the main entrance and add a street entrance for the expanded Jumping Bean.

The renovations to the main floor are expected to begin before the end of 2022, and the plan is to have it completed by the summer of 2023, Oliver said.
Sad to see the food court go but it has been pretty dead in there for quite some time now.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2022, 1:58 AM

New St. Clares

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrakis View Post

Kenmount Hills hasn't started development yet and where it's centre of the city, highway access, and lots of space to plan and expand when needed. It would make a great spot for the new St. Clares.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2023, 12:24 PM

Anyone happen to know what is going on with the Royal on Water (former Fortis Building)? One side was replaced a couple of years ago but I've heard nothing on when they will be doing the rest of the building.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2023, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Murphy View Post
Anyone happen to know what is going on with the Royal on Water (former Fortis Building)? One side was replaced a couple of years ago but I've heard nothing on when they will be doing the rest of the building.
It's in receivership, along with a bunch of the properties nearby and Ropewalk Lane Plaza (all owned by the same guy).

Old Posted May 9, 2023, 1:01 PM

Access road off of Paton Street under construction to allow for the development of the new Canada Sumer Games facilities in the area.

Old Posted May 25, 2023, 11:20 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Old Posted Jun 1, 2023, 7:19 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

^ Well, are they trying really hard to mimic Atlantic Place there on the right? I guess it's kind of like a back alley though so it doesn't matter that much, eh?

Old Posted Jun 1, 2023, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architype View Post
^ Well, are they trying really hard to mimic Atlantic Place there on the right? I guess it's kind of like a back alley though so it doesn't matter that much, eh?
A few trees and some nice light fixtures (similar to the ones in Galway) might make the alley a little prettier. The church is also one of the city's oldest landmarks, built in 1873.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2023, 3:30 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmemeadusjr View Post
A few trees and some nice light fixtures (similar to the ones in Galway) might make the alley a little prettier. The church is also one of the city's oldest landmarks, built in 1873.
It's setting a very low bar, trees are the least they will be able to do. The street wall is extremely austere and disjointed considering the relative importance of this street, not pedestrian friendly, the design seems just arbitrary and bad. There are no focal points or much of any interest. The playful windows just look out of place. The brick and dark metal cladding looks a lot like Atlantic Place, the poster child of what not to do . . . ever. I hope, in light of that, the front looks nice, and people can be proud of it as an addition to the city. The renderings looked ok, but this being NL, from examples I have seen before, there's no reason to believe they are accurate. (edit: Sorry if this sounded negative, just my impressions from the pics - while under construction it's probably not a fair assessment).

Last edited by Architype; Jun 3, 2023 at 12:02 AM.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2023, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architype View Post
It's setting a very low bar, trees are the least they will be able to do. The street wall is extremely austere and disjointed considering the relative importance of this street, not pedestrian friendly, the design seems just arbitrary and bad. There are no focal points or much of any interest. The playful windows just look out of place. The brick and dark metal cladding looks a lot like Atlantic Place, the poster child of what not to do . . . ever. I hope, in light of that, the front looks nice, and people can be proud of it as an addition to the city. The renderings looked ok, but this being NL, from examples I have seen before, there's no reason to believe they are accurate. (edit: Sorry if this sounded negative, just my impressions from the pics - while under construction it's probably not a fair assessment).
I agree that the area doesn't look great. Since they are not going to level the building to make it look nicer, trees are just something I can toss out at this point. I wasn't trying to set the bar at any level lol

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's