HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted May 2, 2023, 1:22 AM

The "peninsula" as that term is used in the Bay Area means more than just the geography of San Francisco proper; it also includes San Mateo County. It is one of the primary regional identifiers in the region--East Bay, South Bay, North Bay, Peninsula.

Old Posted May 2, 2023, 4:54 PM

I consider all of the southern California costal Basin to essentially be greater Los Angeles and a legit mega-city like Greater Tokyo and Greater London.

You could probably still split it between LA and Sandiego/TJ but there is in reality little cultural or economic difference between these areas and the only reason it isn't a solid unbroken sprawl is a few small mountains/hills and a large US marine Base.

I wouldnt include LAs Vegas like this map does.

Even though people talk about the Northeast Bos-Wash Corridor I feel like that is more broken up than southern California.

Old Posted May 2, 2023, 4:54 PM

I should have said the tip of the SF peninsula....I've not thought of areas further south towards San jose as a 'peninsula', although technically they very much are too. I've always labeled the SF 'peninsula' as the small area shown below...or the legal govt boundaries of the city of SF itself.

qph.cf2

I consider the SF region as definitely extending all the way south to San Jose....I just realize that's the distance from central LA to southern Orange County around Irvine. For some reason I thought SF's south bay was closer than that. As for NYC, both city & region, most of its tourist friendly sites or points of major interest are located in Manhattan, which is comparatively compact compared with what I consider as 'Los Angeles'. But everyone has different ways of labeling what a city is or isn't. Or a region is or isn't.

Things like this make 'LA' its own animal. Or, for better or worse, sui generis.

https://youtu.be/SL0ucb70Qlo.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions