HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Oct 6, 2022, 7:42 PM

I agree with you on that one.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2022, 8:55 PM
constructor extrodinaire!

Can we get two separate threads going for these towers? Even though they are in the development of Hemisfair, the development is multi faceted and would be nice to break the separate towers into their own threads as they may complete at separate times and may complete before other portions of the Hemisfair as a whole.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2022, 4:55 AM

Well that's funny. I came here looking for details on this thinking this was the tower being developed. Turns out there's a whole new one.

That might mean three separate threads?

https://www.sacurrent.com/news/luxur...-2024-30009709

Old Posted Oct 7, 2022, 5:59 AM
Loving SA 365 days a year

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSP View Post
Well that's funny. I came here looking for details on this thinking this was the tower being developed. Turns out there's a whole new one.

That might mean three separate threads?

https://www.sacurrent.com/news/luxur...-2024-30009709
This is a completely separate development across Alamo Street from Hemisfair.

There is already a thread for that hotel.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2023, 9:47 PM

When will we ever get a 40+ level building? Its the perfect location for a 500+ foot tower. I wish they would have designed it to sit on top of the garage and add a few more levels to create a 40 level tower. The 17 level hotel's design next to it, is a beautiful design but again, the location would have been ideal to add 13 floors of condos like the Thompson did in order to give San Antonio the skyline that it deserves. These short 350 foot buildings aren't very exciting news even if it was taller than originally planned.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2023, 1:04 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by viruez777 View Post
When will we ever get a 40+ level building? Its the perfect location for a 500+ foot tower. I wish they would have designed it to sit on top of the garage and add a few more levels to create a 40 level tower. The 17 level hotel's design next to it, is a beautiful design but again, the location would have been ideal to add 13 floors of condos like the Thompson did in order to give San Antonio the skyline that it deserves. These short 350 foot buildings aren't very exciting news even if it was taller than originally planned.
The area for tall buildings downtown is on the other side... by Frost and 300 Main. There's plenty of space there and tall buildings won't interfere with views of and from the Tower of the Americas, which is very important in the tourist area that is downtown San Antonio.

See Seattle as a reference.

https://media.gettyimages.com/photos...re-id133957178

Old Posted Apr 11, 2023, 4:14 PM

Any word on the 29 story residential tower? Everything said that they were planning to start construction in the spring 2023.

Things have been really quit on here. Thought I would throw something out to get conversation going again.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2023, 9:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRG1974 View Post
Any word on the 29 story residential tower? Everything said that they were planning to start construction in the spring 2023.

Things have been really quit on here. Thought I would throw something out to get conversation going again.
Haven't heard anything, and from the looks of recent photos from the Tower of the Americas there isn't anything going on at the sites either. I wonder if the construction of the actual park has anything to do with it.

Someone else asked a while ago if they secured financing and that's also a good question. Haven't been able to figure that out, but hopefully they did.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2023, 4:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theOGalexd View Post
Haven't heard anything, and from the looks of recent photos from the Tower of the Americas there isn't anything going on at the sites either. I wonder if the construction of the actual park has anything to do with it.

Someone else asked a while ago if they secured financing and that's also a good question. Haven't been able to figure that out, but hopefully they did.
I also thought they wanted to have the hotel ready for the Final Four in 2025. That is less than 2 years away. They are not going to make it if they don't start turning dirt soon.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2023, 8:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRG1974 View Post
I also thought they wanted to have the hotel ready for the Final Four in 2025. That is less than 2 years away. They are not going to make it if they don't start turning dirt soon.
Yup, I think I remember reading an article saying they wanted both done by then but I could be wrong. Hopefully it's just a delay with the park construction and not financing problems.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2023, 5:39 PM

Hotel/Apts/Mixed used project delayed again…are we surprised? Higher interest rates, constructions costs, etc are their reasons for needing more due diligence. Zachry turning into gray street with all of these promises and no action.

https://www.expressnews.com/business...p-17889487.php

Old Posted Apr 16, 2023, 5:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado View Post
Hotel/Apts/Mixed used project delayed again…are we surprised? Higher interest rates, constructions costs, etc are their reasons for needing more due diligence. Zachry turning into gray street with all of these promises and no action.

Blame the current administration, if anything!
I am confident it will get done!

Old Posted Apr 16, 2023, 7:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwesomeSAView View Post
Blame the current administration, if anything!
I am confident it will get done!
The current administration? 😂😂
Hilarious

Old Posted Apr 16, 2023, 7:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado View Post

From the article.

The San Antonio company has been spearheading it since 2017, when it bested 10 other bidders for the opportunity to transform the site’s northwest corner at East Market and South Alamo streets. 

Zachry’s original $200 million proposal included a 200-room hotel, 385 housing units and up to 75,000 square feet of retail space, 110,000 square feet of offices and 800 parking spaces.

Construction was supposed to start in 2018 after Tricentennial and Final Four events concluded. It never began.

SA needs to find a new developer that will get the job done.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2023, 7:47 PM
James

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAguy View Post

SA needs to find a new developer that will get the job done.
This part right here. They need to find someone who can build it and build it quickly. It should have been done already. I get Covid happened but it should have been completed this year.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2023, 10:10 PM

[QUOTE=jaga185;9919783]This part right here. They need to find someone who can build it and build it quickly. It should have been done already. I get Covid happened but it should have been completed this year. [/QUOTE

Doubtful that this will get completed anytime soon and wouldn’t be surprised if it’s scaled way back or cancelled. If the new Weston urban residential tower leases up quickly I could see this get back on track and completed sooner rather than later, however, there isn’t really a comparable in the market to see how well it will be absorbed. Zachery obviously doesn’t have deep pockets or is not solidly bought into the projects success or they would have financed it on their own or found deeper pocket friends to help. They knew this all along which is what irritates me. . .The city was entirely to optimistic in this developers ability to get this done on the time schedule laid out to coincide with the final 4 and here we are left with a huge empty lot in the middle of the city without what was planned for the sake of giving it to a local company with deep hemisfair ties.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2023, 10:50 PM

[QUOTE=SAJonTx;9919853]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaga185 View Post
This part right here. They need to find someone who can build it and build it quickly. It should have been done already. I get Covid happened but it should have been completed this year. [/QUOTE

Doubtful that this will get completed anytime soon and wouldn’t be surprised if it’s scaled way back or cancelled. If the new Weston urban residential tower leases up quickly I could see this get back on track and completed sooner rather than later, however, there isn’t really a comparable in the market to see how well it will be absorbed. Zachery obviously doesn’t have deep pockets or is not solidly bought into the projects success or they would have financed it on their own or found deeper pocket friends to help. They knew this all along which is what irritates me. . .The city was entirely to optimistic in this developers ability to get this done on the time schedule laid out to coincide with the final 4 and here we are left with a huge empty lot in the middle of the city without what was planned for the sake of giving it to a local company with deep hemisfair ties.
The Floodgate might be a better case study since it'll be done sooner but even that seems to be moving at a snails pace.

I'm really surprised someone like Hanover or any of these Austin developers haven't swooped into the market here and got their share of the pie while the rest of these guys with these proposals twiddle their thumbs. They were cranking stuff out there even during the peak of covid.

I guess this answers the question about whether they've secured financing or not. Depending on how the economy fares in the near future, I'm not too confident in this one anymore. Feels like I've seen this movie a few too many times lol.

Last edited by theOGalexd; Apr 17, 2023 at 4:27 AM.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2023, 7:20 PM
May the Schwartz be w/ U!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaga185 View Post
I get Covid happened but it should have been completed this year.
COVID-19 is no excuse. There are a myriad of examples of projects moving forward all the way through the pandemic.

Was there any stipulation in the development agreement by which the project must be complete? Is there an opportunity to open the project back up to bidding?

Old Posted Apr 18, 2023, 9:58 PM

i thought it was wrong to not open it up to new bidders when they couldn't get it done the first time around. Weston doesn't seem to have an issue locking down financing. All Zachry hospitality has done are a handful of Embassy Suites around town (according to their website) and the palacio del rio which the family built back in 1968.

I think they got the deal because of some unfounded loyalty by the city to the family.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2023, 11:57 AM

Less than a month before these three developers have to come back before city council. AREA said they wouldn’t request another due diligence extension, the other two wouldn’t commit to that. Prepare to be disappointed (no insider info but just going off their past history)

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio