HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted May 3, 2022, 8:35 AM

Abandoned Buildings

Just curious to see cool abandoned buildings in other cities.

My submission for Toronto is the Whitney Block Tower.
It has been closed since the 60`s. Built in 1932 it was closed due to fire regulations, 1 hand crank elevator and 1 stairwell was its demise. It was said to be unbearably hot during the summer, large blocks of ice were taken to the upper floors in an attempt to cool the building. As of many old buildings, it is said to be haunted.

Video Link

Old Posted May 3, 2022, 2:16 PM
The Vomit Bag.

quite unbelievable that such an elegant building would be vacant for so long, in Toronto of all places.

Old Posted May 3, 2022, 3:54 PM
Rust Belt Motherland

In Chicago, the Century Building, 1915, Holabird and Roche, and the Consumers Building, 1913, Jenney, Mundie & Jensen, are under threat of demolition from the federal government and have sat vacant for the past 17 years. The federal government claims that they present a security threat to the federal building next door that can only be solved by demolition.

https://preservationchicago.org/2022...ers-buildings/

Photo by Eric Allix Rogers

Old Posted May 3, 2022, 3:59 PM
I am the law!

Re: Toronto It's a secure government office building. Splitting hair but, I would call this unused more than abandoned. It's being maintained.

This is what I call abandoned
https://www.google.com/maps/@43.6640...7i16384!8i8192 history: severely fire damaged 5 year ago requiring demolition. In Toronto that means rezoning for a 47 store tower

Old Posted May 3, 2022, 4:39 PM

Purchased by Canadian developer Harry Stinson who promises he really really will redevelop it into apartments and it will all turn out great (this was before his latest legal troubles and hotel arson fire). Located in one of the rougher sections of Buffalo's East Side.

WOnDeR bREAD II
by Jack Landau, on Flickr

Old Posted May 3, 2022, 5:18 PM

This old abandoned hospital building has been empty for 15 years at least. I'm suprised it was never torn down and redeveloped considering our lack of developable land. Its probably pretty scary in there at night (and probably home to numerous squatters):
https://www.google.com/maps/@25.9320...7i16384!8i8192

I just looked it up and there are plans to finally demolish the building:
https://miami.cbslocal.com/2022/04/0...miami-gardens/
Quote:
Graffiti-Riddled Abandoned Hospital Finally Going To Be Demolished In Miami Gardens

For decades, an abandoned hospital has stood as a highway eyesore, riddled with graffiti, just off I-95 near the Golden Glades but now there are plans for the building and the valuable land it sits on.

A new owner has spent $11 million for the 11-story building, which was once the Parkway West Medical Center.
Inside: https://www.abandonedfl.com/parkway-...edical-center/

Old Posted May 3, 2022, 8:36 PM

It wouldn't be more advantageous financially to reuse the structure...? I'm surprised.

Old Posted May 3, 2022, 9:16 PM

The (in)famous Boner 4Ever building of North Philadelphia. Officially known as the Beury Building, it once was the headquarters of the National Bank of North Philadelphia. It has sat vacant for over 40 years leading to heavy decay of the art deco building.

In March, it was announced that Shift Capital, owners of the building, had secured Marriott as a tenant and work is now underway to convert the historic building into a 138 room hotel.

Work begins on restoration of North Philly's historic 'Boner 4ever' building

Old Posted May 3, 2022, 9:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nite View Post
Just curious to see cool abandoned buildings in other cities.

My submission for Toronto is the Whitney Block Tower.
It has been closed since the 60`s. Built in 1932 it was closed due to fire regulations, 1 hand crank elevator and 1 stairwell was its demise. It was said to be unbearably hot during the summer, large blocks of ice were taken to the upper floors in an attempt to cool the building. As of many old buildings, it is said to be haunted.

Video Link
Kinda reminds me of the tower at the Johnson Wax Building, unused for similar reaosns (but the rest of hte building remains occupied as Johnson & Johnsonm's headquarters)

Old Posted May 4, 2022, 3:23 AM
Burming Hammer

The Brown-Marx Building in Birmingham, built in 1906. Has sat empty for decades. Several announcements of hotels / condos have appeared over the years, but none have come to fruition yet. Hopefully something happens soon before it's too late.

pic from an al.com article:

my own pic:

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions