HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario

Old Posted May 3, 2019, 5:40 AM

Since this is a geography thread, I would disagree that there is nothing heading west on 17 from Thunder Bay. There is Kakabeka Falls, the sign where the time zone changes, the sign where the watershed changes, and, ummmm…

Seriously though, sticking with the geography theme, one of my hobbies is travel planning, so I am always looking for things to see and do "on the way". The Niagara Falls area is a unique destination with an interesting geographical history with hundreds if not several thousand things to do and see.

Back in the day my in-laws made an annual trip from Toronto to Niagara Falls. They would park across from the Horseshoe Falls, spend a few minutes looking, eat a picnic lunch and leave. To me, a waste of time as you can see pictures on the Internet. They were stunned after I showed them around for a few days.

Old Posted May 31, 2019, 3:23 PM
R2-D2's army of death

Ontario:

Also Ontario:

Franky: Ajldub, name calling is what they do when good arguments can't be found - don't sink to their level. Claiming the thread is "boring" is also a way to try to discredit a thread that doesn't match their particular bias.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2019, 1:13 AM
I am a typical

We are vast. We contain multitudes.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2019, 1:59 PM

To add to the diversity: I've seen beluga whales in Northern Ontario. In the Moose River about 15 km up the river from James Bay. I've read that the whales can also be spotted in other rivers that flow into James Bay and Hudson Bay.

Polar Bear Provincial Park is somewhere you can see both belugas and polar bear and also sub-Arctic terrain and Arctic birds, animals and vegetation.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2019, 11:43 AM
BANNED

You guys are only proving the point even further. When people say ontario is boring I don't think they are including northern/eastern ontario in that narrative.

If I have to drive 3 hours to see something moderately interesting you're proving the point.

In BC. You can pretty much drive anywhere and see interesting terrain.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2019, 8:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeLocker View Post
You guys are only proving the point even further. When people say ontario is boring I don't think they are including northern/eastern ontario in that narrative.

If I have to drive 3 hours to see something moderately interesting you're proving the point.

BC is definitely very interesting overall and I spent quite a bit of time there in the Summer this year. And I saw pretty much all of Southern BC. But when we drove home, we stopped at a small lake in Northwestern Ontario just off Hwy 17 after crossing the border and realized something. We were at a nice small lake where it was very quiet with nobody else there. In BC, it didn't matter where we were, there were lots of other people and more noise from traffic or boats. It's never hard to find a lake with nobody on it here which is something that is really nice.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2019, 2:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeLocker View Post

You're profile says you're in London. You have very high standards if you think Niagara Falls and area isn't moderately interesting. Or anything in the Escarpment or beaches galore on Huron/Georgian Bay.

The title of the thread is if Ontario's geography is underrated not if it is spectacular. I wouldn't say it's spectacular like in BC or the Alberta Rockies, but I say it's underrated, even if you're just including places with a couple hours drive of the main population centers, but it's all about perspective and preference anyway.

I have an appreciation for terrain so I get what you're saying. Even when I'm driving through cottage country and all I see is a straight road lined with trees, it's boring. When the road is twisting let and right and going up and down then I find it much more tolerable. Even better if I'm over causeways or roads immediately adjacent to any of the hundreds of thousands of lakes in Ontario. If I'm driving along the Niagara Parkway and I see the beautiful Niagara River/Gorge the whole time then I appreciate it.

I like when I'm driving anywhere within sight of the Escarpment because at least the mundane drive to where I'm going has something at least remotely interesting in the background. Better yet if I'm driving in it like on the outskirts of Hamilton. And I appreciate that at my cousin's boring suburban Milton house that at least when you walk out the door you see the Escarpment in the distance. I like when I'm driving southbound on Walkers Line or Guelph Line in Burlington between Upper Middle and Dundas that I can see the lake from there. I like that when I'm driving on Hurontario in Caledon north of the Grange Side Road I can see Square One area due to the change in elevation.

When I was driving through CO, UT, AZ and NM I adored the fact that there was always something interesting to look at in front of me or off in the distance. It would be the same in most parts of BC.

I haven't been out to BC but in my job I do hundreds of reviews on commercial properties across the country and out of curiosity I google map the location and often do a street view to see what the residents get to look at when it's an apartment building. Whether it's LML or interior or the Island I always thought wow that's cool. Nice view from your balcony and interesting road to drive on when you hop in your car.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2019, 10:06 PM

These are from last year. Honestly I think we enjoy the nicest of autumns in the whole province, simply because of the variety. There's the rural agricultural, harvest, grazing animals, orchards, old farm houses intertwined with the colour, hilly topography, forests, farm fields, lakes, whatever.

by
ontario photo connection
, on Flickr

1150 by
ontario photo connection
, on Flickr

by
ontario photo connection
, on Flickr

The more I take back roads the more I appreciate Northumberland County. I'd say it is underrated itself!

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario