HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Nov 13, 2019, 6:30 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggus diggus View Post
Unrelated to the Diamondbacks...

It seems the Suns have stopped maintaining the A/V equipment at the arena in anticipation of the upcoming renovation. We sit in a B level suite and to be honest the view isn't amazing up there so we're often relying on the main screens above center court for replays and such. The screen facing us has been flickering and periodically pixealated all season. The PA announcer is hardly audible at times and when they play videos during breaks in play I can't ever understand what people in the videos are saying.

I'm really salty about this, I have this feeling they don't want to spend money to fix things that are going to be thrown away after the season. It's very frustrating. Along with the move to all digital ticketing on phones which has created longer lines to get into the parking garage and into the B level, I'm feeling like these guys are just pinching every penny.
I noticed the screen as well when I went to the game Sunday. The will be replaced, so I'm like meh.

As for the Dbacks wish List, don't they pretty much have everything they need Downtown? Parking is not a big problem in Downtown even during games and a lot of fans forego driving and take LRT anyway. There's plenty of undeveloped land around the Chase to add shops and office space. Hotels are NOT an issue in Downtown Phoenix. Especially with 2 being renovated, 1 being built and another in the pipeline and room for more. The fans are not complaining about Chase Field and seem to be pretty happy coming to Downtown for a ballgame. This is as Obadno stated, a way to muscle the city into coughing up money. It worked for the Suns, so why not?

Old Posted Nov 13, 2019, 7:02 PM

"The will be replaced, so I'm like meh."

They will be replaced, but telling people who are spending $50K on a seat on the floor or $200K for a suite aren't really interested in hearing about just dealing with it for a whole season. I understand if you bought one ticket to one game and it was broken you probably wouldn't be too concerned.

We also aren't really interested in hearing about paperless tickets to to "eliminate waste" when there's a line of cars whose drivers are all fumbling with their phones to find the ticket and get in the garage.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2019, 7:14 PM

Quote:
"The will be replaced, so I'm like meh."

They will be replaced, but telling people who are spending $50K on a seat on the floor or $200K for a suite aren't really interested in hearing about just dealing with it for a whole season. I understand if you bought one ticket to one game and it was broken you probably wouldn't be too concerned.

We also aren't really interested in hearing about paperless tickets to to "eliminate waste" when there's a line of cars whose drivers are all fumbling with their phones to find the ticket and get in the garage.
In terms of paperless ticketing, this is just the reality we live in and the Suns are not the only team to do this. The Cardinals are all digital and ASU Athletics is doing both hard/mobile tickets this season and will move to paperless tickets by next year. Not sure about the Yotes but Diamondbacks will be next.

As a ASU Football season ticket holder, I don't care and I welcome the move. But yet fans were bitching and moaning about the move for months and now about almost 3 months in, it's all an afterthought. I'm not saying you but the common denominator I've noticed over time is it's usually the older generation/senior citizens who are probably not that good with technology and have a hard time accessing the tickets. Probably don't know that they can save their tickets prior to the game to their Apple Wallet (or whatever Android equivalent) so they can easily access it and show it and not have to rely on great WiFi or cell reception.

It'll get better over time and with proper communication, education and awareness by the Suns...

Old Posted Nov 13, 2019, 8:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieFoos View Post
I noticed the screen as well when I went to the game Sunday. The will be replaced, so I'm like meh.

As for the Dbacks wish List, don't they pretty much have everything they need Downtown? Parking is not a big problem in Downtown even during games and a lot of fans forego driving and take LRT anyway. There's plenty of undeveloped land around the Chase to add shops and office space. Hotels are NOT an issue in Downtown Phoenix. Especially with 2 being renovated, 1 being built and another in the pipeline and room for more. The fans are not complaining about Chase Field and seem to be pretty happy coming to Downtown for a ballgame. This is as Obadno stated, a way to muscle the city into coughing up money. It worked for the Suns, so why not?
The Diamondbacks want a cut of it all which they don't get with food, entertainment and lodging around downtown.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2019, 9:48 PM
METRO: Encanto

I have Diamondbacks season tickets and they have stuck with traditional cardstock tickets so far. My only problem with paperless tickets is that it requires everyone in your party to have the damned app on their phone. As to paperless tickets for parking, when we don't use the light rail, ParkWhiz works great. I haven't seen any backup related to people fumbling with their phones.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2019, 10:47 PM
Modulator

Not sure about the paperless ticket issues everyone is experiencing. I rarely have to use an app. I normally purchase my tickets via web browser for whichever cheapest ticket vendor I can find at the time. As soon as I purchase the ticket, I either have it sent to me via text, email or screenshot it. The quickest way for me is to screenshot my ticket, so it's immediately available for me when I walk up and don't have to fumble around with an app or signing in to get my e-ticket on the screen.

As far using apps, I have a Ticket Master app and it's fairly easy to use. I usually just collect everyone's money in my party ahead of time and buy all the tickets at once. Then just swipe through for everyone in my party at the check-in line. Only takes a few seconds.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2019, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Not sure about the paperless ticket issues everyone is experiencing. I rarely have to use an app. I normally purchase my tickets via web browser for whichever cheapest ticket vendor I can find at the time. As soon as I purchase the ticket, I either have it sent to me via text, email or screenshot it. The quickest way for me is to screenshot my ticket, so it's immediately available for me when I walk up and don't have to fumble around with an app or signing in to get my e-ticket on the screen.

As far using apps, I have a Ticket Master app and it's fairly easy to use. I usually just collect everyone's money in my party ahead of time and buy all the tickets at once. Then just swipe through for everyone in your party at the check-in line. Only takes a few seconds.
I think this applies more towards season ticket holders as it's not a single event they purchase a single ticket for but rather have all 81 tickets or so stored in their favorite team's ticket account and can only be accessed via a phone. Unfortunately, taking a screenshot of the ticket is no longer viable (in some platforms) as this doesn't diminish the risk of fraud. I am also an AZ Cardinals season ticket holder and the ticket's barcode itself is dynamic so it's constantly changing over time within the AZ Cards app. So taking a screenshot wouldn't work in this scenario but having loaded to your Apple Wallet will.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2019, 11:09 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASU Diablo View Post
I think this applies more towards season ticket holders as it's not a single event they purchase a single ticket for but rather have all 81 tickets or so stored in their favorite team's ticket account and can only be accessed via a phone. Unfortunately, taking a screenshot of the ticket is no longer viable (in some platforms) as this doesn't diminish the risk of fraud. I am also an AZ Cardinals season ticket holder and the ticket's barcode itself is dynamic so it's constantly changing over time within the AZ Cards app. So taking a screenshot wouldn't work in this scenario but having loaded to your Apple Wallet will.
Thanks for the clarification. I don't attend enough games to warrant a season pass for anything (although I would if Rising goes MLS!). So guess I don't run into those issues.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2019, 6:23 AM

Quote:

I'm really salty about this, I have this feeling they don't want to spend money to fix things that are going to be thrown away after the season. It's very frustrating. Along with the move to all digital ticketing on phones which has created longer lines to get into the parking garage and into the B level, I'm feeling like these guys are just pinching every penny.
I'm say. We didn't to go to Diamondbacks game this year. Because it's too hard for us to find park the car. Too crowded!! Too extremely hot outside. We avoid it. Probably I will go to see Cubbies game in end of April 2020. If they doesn't sellout crowds again.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2019, 3:58 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by N830MH View Post
I'm say. We didn't to go to Diamondbacks game this year. Because it's too hard for us to find park the car. Too crowded!! Too extremely hot outside. We avoid it. Probably I will go to see Cubbies game in end of April 2020. If they doesn't sellout crowds again.
Why not park at a park-n-ride and take the LRT? I myself normally park at the one at 19th Ave and Camelback. Easy to find parking there during the games.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2019, 5:01 PM

Groundbreaking today for the Sun's new practice facility at 44th St and Camelback. Sounds pretty awesome.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/spor...ty/4188027002/

Old Posted Nov 14, 2019, 5:24 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Groundbreaking today for the Sun's new practice facility at 44th St and Camelback. Sounds pretty awesome.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/spor...ty/4188027002/
I noticed a fence and the lot was bulldozed when I passed by on Saturday. Also, on a side note. I drove back into the adjacent neighborhood that's fighting the 19' increase. The view of Camelback WOULD NOT be diminished in anyway by the proposed building on the NW corner of 44th/Camelback. The angle from that neighborhood places Camelback just to the North of the proposed 19' increase. Just as I thought previously, this is nothing more than an anti-height movement with no justification other than residents just want something to fight.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2019, 6:04 PM

Quote:
I noticed a fence and the lot was bulldozed when I passed by on Saturday. Also, on a side note. I drove back into the adjacent neighborhood that's fighting the 19' increase. The view of Camelback WOULD NOT be diminished in anyway by the proposed building on the NW corner of 44th/Camelback. The angle from that neighborhood places Camelback just to the North of the proposed 19' increase. Just as I thought previously, this is nothing more than an anti-height movement with no justification other than residents just want something to fight.
LOL damn NIMBYs!

Sarver did have this funny quote in the article, is he right? Midtown may disagree...
Quote:
The facility is also a centerpiece to enhance what Ebert calls "arguably the best location in Arizona."

A Sam Fox-owned, 100-room hotel will begin construction right beside the practice facility next year and there are plans to add new restaurants and office space in the area as well.

In all, Sarver said $350 million, all private capital, will be invested in the projects with the practice facility being a focal point.

“This may be the preeminent non-downtown area in Phoenix,” Sarver said.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2019, 7:41 PM
Skyriser

Quote:
The NIMBYs complain because it's not even their "backyard"--one of the complaints was that it blocks the view of the mountain from the intersection.

You can't even make this stuff up.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2019, 8:15 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
The NIMBYs complain because it's not even their "backyard"--one of the complaints was that it blocks the view of the mountain from the intersection.

You can't even make this stuff up.
I really could not even see how considering that the "camelhead" of Camelback doesn't even start pretty much for nearly a mile down the road. Maybe if you are sitting about 13 or 1400' West of the 44th intersection?

Old Posted Nov 14, 2019, 8:51 PM
Skyriser

NIMBYs and logic are on the opposite sides of the spectrum.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2019, 4:25 AM

Quote:
Why not park at a park-n-ride and take the LRT? I myself normally park at the one at 19th Ave and Camelback. Easy to find parking there during the games.
No, sometime we have a free parking pass. We have park at Chase Garage or Jefferson Garage. When they gave us a free parking pass. My cousin who have a car and she wait for me at Circle K on 44th St & Washington St. When I rode on a city bus from Desert Ridge. I took on route 44.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2019, 11:47 PM

TSRA renderings finally getting released this evening at 6:30p. Can't wait

Edit: Renderings up on the website. Didn't see anything for exterior improvements/upgrades, hope those get released later?

http://www.suns.com/project201

Last edited by ASU Diablo; Nov 22, 2019 at 3:47 AM.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2019, 3:54 AM

Quote:
TSRA renderings finally getting released this evening at 6:30p. Can't wait

Edit: Renderings up on the website. Didn't see anything for exterior improvements/upgrades, hope those get released later?

http://www.suns.com/project201

I fixed your link. So please don't put CAPS Lock. Only small word.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2019, 3:44 AM

I want to see what they do with the outside of the arena. Is anyone else bothered the way the parking garage is sticking out the side of the arena? I wish they would demolish it and find a way to separate them because it just looks weird as it is.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest