HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Mar 27, 2009, 10:30 AM

I always thought ATV heavily favoured Nova Scotia as well, but it never bothered me it's just a by-product of having regional offices in Halifax. Global does the same thing, not that I would watch their news anyway

Old Posted Mar 28, 2009, 4:11 AM
Our Tide is Rising

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanzmastertron3000 View Post
You know you're washed up when you're playing Moncton.
Well they are one of the top 20 best selling bands of all time and last year they released a new album that has sold 6 million copies worldwide so far, far from washed up Id say.

From Wiki:

AC/DC has sold more than 200 million albums worldwide... AC/DC ranked fourth on VH1's list of the "100 Greatest Artists of Hard Rock"

Old Posted Mar 28, 2009, 6:37 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

From the Moncton Times & Transcript....

Old Posted Mar 28, 2009, 6:50 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

From "the Sleuth"

The concert scene, as Sleuth promised last week, is beginning to heat up and the announcement this week that John Fogerty will make a return visit to Moncton in May has got fans across the province excited, particularly those who caught his warm-up for the Eagles last summer and know just how powerful a good old fashioned rock '*' roll show can be, with the emphasis on the rockin'. No question, he put the headliners to shame in the "still vibrant" and "I still care about my material" departments, not to mention energy. Get those rockin' shoes out, folks.

Meanwhile, AC/DC fans are on the edge of their seats waiting to see if the Aussie band will play Magnetic Hill in August. The band is on what is the most successful world tour currently, selling tens of thousands of tickets within literally minutes. What Sleuth knows for sure, 100 per cent, however, is that city officials hope -- note that word "hope" -- to have at least one big summer concert announcement very soon, but not quite as soon as Monday.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2009, 7:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
From "the Sleuth"

... Meanwhile, AC/DC fans are on the edge of their seats waiting to see if the Aussie band will play Magnetic Hill in August. The band is on what is the most successful world tour currently, selling tens of thousands of tickets within literally minutes. What Sleuth knows for sure, 100 per cent, however, is that city officials hope -- note that word "hope" -- to have at least one big summer concert announcement very soon, but not quite as soon as Monday.
Speaking of hope...I just hope that if my favorite band of all time (AC DC) does come for sure that it isin't really on a thursday such as the 6 th of august mentioned. That could really hurt the attendance. I mean I'm still going no matter what.... but it could really hurt attendance because not only do you need to take off work that thursday but if your travelling you probably need the friday off as well

Old Posted Mar 31, 2009, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C_Boy View Post
but it could really hurt attendance because not only do you need to take off work that thursday but if your travelling you probably need the friday off as well
Then again, fans have 4 months in advance to make arrangements. My only concern is massive traffic grid locks all over town on a regular Thursday business day.

Economic spin offs would be great though. More people would probably end up staying in the Moncton, Dieppe, Riverview, Shediac, etc all weekend long.

Here's hoping for a 4 day sunny weather forecast.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2009, 1:46 AM
Moderator / Supervillain

The biggest problem I noticed last year was just poor coordination of traffic flow. If memory serves, they forced all the concert parking to take Front Mountain Road to Mountain Road, meaning everyone leaving the site was forced to make a left turn. If they had closed through-traffic it wouln't have been a problem, but every time someone drove up Mountain Road, people had to wait to make that turn.

The other problem was people parking on both sides of the street! Not cool.

The best way the city could clear out the show parking would be to close off Front Mountain and make both lanes go towards Mountain Rd. Then either close off Mountain at that intersection or force cars to wait to allow the two lanes of traffic from the show to get out. It'd only be an inconvenience for an hour or two and everything would be back to normal.

As for traffic in the city... believe it or not, the summer concert isn't the biggest event the city holds every year. the Atlantic Nationals has drawn up to 100,000 people to its Friday night street party downtown. Traffic is definitely a hassle when you get numbers that big, but I'd say the benefits more than outweigh the hardships.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2009, 4:52 PM
Nashwaaksissy

And just to bring closure to all of this, the T&T retracted that editorial today.
Fredericton: We're #3! We're #3!

Old Posted Apr 2, 2009, 12:51 AM
Our Tide is Rising

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirjtc2 View Post
And just to bring closure to all of this, the T&T retracted that editorial today.
good for them, that was embarrasing

Old Posted Apr 3, 2009, 2:23 AM
Nashwaaksissy

Not sure if this counts as a full-out concert, but hey...it's a band I've at least heard of:

All hail Death Cab
Campus texting battle brings band to Halifax
By STEPHEN COOKE Entertainment Reporter
Thu. Apr 2 - 5:59 AM

IT’S THE HOTTEST ticket in town; good luck finding one.

On Friday night one of modern rock’s most accomplished bands, Death Cab for Cutie, plays a special show at the Dalhousie University Student Union Building following a cross-country texting war sponsored by Rogers Wireless and concert promoters Live Nation. Over 15 per cent of Dal’s student population took part in Campus Battle ’09, for an underdog win over much larger schools, earning the right to host the show by the Washington state quartet.

"When we heard who won, we were like, ‘What? Really?’ That’s excellent!’ " exclaims Death Cab drummer Jason McGerr, who says the band was as pleasantly surprised by the final choice as its local fans were.

"It’s like we started this war of attrition, who’s going to be the most dedicated school, who’s going to make it happen? Vote for your tour, it’s actually a great idea.

"I should say that we’ve been trying to get to Halifax for a long time, but because of its geographical location it’s hard to just drop it into a tour. So I’m excited that the most votes were texted in from there."

Unfortunately, only those who took part in the contest were eligible to win tickets in a random draw, and unless you have a generous friend with a pair, it’s off to eBay or Kijiji, where the asking price has been roughly around the $75-$150 mark. McGerr sympathizes, but hints the fan reaction on Friday may tempt the band back for a larger scale show further down the road.

"I’m from a small town, Bellingham, where the band started, and the population was about 34,000, and I bet 12,000 were transient college students," says McGerr, who cites a love of pioneering East Coast bands like Sloan and Eric’s Trip as part of his desire to play here. "It was the kind of place where it wasn’t a big deal if your car broke down, because everything was within walking distance of your place, or a friend’s place.

"I remember having a lot of pride in the local music scene, and I’m sure Halifax is the same way; when you’re isolated like that, people look out for each other and promote the hell out of whatever’s going on. That’s why we’re always excited to play smaller towns and see what’s happening."

Death Cab’s Dal show will be its first since the Tuesday release of its new five-song EP titled The Open Door (on iTunes, it comes with a bonus video for Grapevine Fires). The cover’s line drawing of a collapsible ladder leading to an attic ties it in with its predecessor, the Billboard chart-topping Narrow Stairs, especially since four of the new songs were written for that album but just didn’t fit the mix.

"We approached (Narrow Stairs) like an album; these days so many people just buy single tracks on iTunes and so on, but we wanted listeners to have this overall experience, from when you hit go to when the final note fades out," says McGerr, who also provided recording space for the band at his own Two Sticks studio.

"But whenever we put in A Diamond and a Tether or I Was Once a Loyal Lover in the running order, they didn’t quite fit. We knew they would have a home someday — maybe on film soundtracks or as B-sides or singles overseas — but we kept them close to our chest until last fall when we thought of the idea of an EP.

"Then there’s a demo for Talking Bird (off Narrow Stairs) that shows you just how far a song can develop from the blueprint to the finished version. I think it’s still a really sweet rendition."

Death Cab for Cutie began as a solo project for singer Ben Gibbard in 1997, with the band coming together to further shape his personal brand of hopeful melancholy after the initial cassette release You Can Play These Songs With Chords. McGerr joined up in 2003 for the landmark Transatlanticism release, which saw its moody, evocative songs pop up on shows like The O.C. and Six Feet Under and films like Wedding Crashers.

The lineup has been stable since then, leading to a more collaborative approach to song construction, with Gibbard’s clear voice and dark romanticism leaving its indelible stamp on the finished product.

"I’m bigger than Ben, so he no longer has to have things his way," chuckles McGerr. "But no, Transatlanticism was very exciting for me, it was a new experience and everyone was throwing in a lot of new ideas. (The Atlantic Records debut) Plans was more surgical; ‘Oh geez, it’s our first major label record, we’ve gotta take our time and make sure everything’s done right.’

"And with Narrow Stairs we realized we’d been doing this for a while, so let’s just go to work, do what we do, and try everything. If something doesn’t work, we’ll pass on it and do something else. It was a loose approach, but in the end a very strong effort to show how we work as a group."

In fact, The Open Door may come as a surprise following Narrow Stairs, with its handful of concise and catchy guitar pop tunes like Little Bribes and I Was Once a Loyal Lover. It’s not that the songs are conventional, but it’s not hard to see how they sit outside Narrow Stairs’ range from the experimental epic of I Will Possess Your Heart to You Can Do Better Than Me’s ’60s pop pastiche.

"It’s just the time in our lives — as people, as players, as adults — where you might as well do what you love," says McGerr. "You might as well showcase the fact that I bought Pet Sounds, or I really loved Led Zeppelin’s Fool in the Rain or mid-’70s German prog-rock.

"Bands like Can, they were geniuses and so far ahead of their time. That’s totally where we were coming from with I Will Possess Your Heart. The demo was nothing like that at all, it just evolved; I’d been waiting to do that Krautrock beat for so long and Nick (Harmer) was waiting to do that bass line.

"We all have these musical things that we’ve been playing over the years; they’ve been sitting in the wings or in the chamber of the magazine, and you just think, ‘Now’s the time, let’s pull them out.’ Because these are the things that inspired us to get started in the first place."

Old Posted Apr 3, 2009, 1:59 PM
Our Tide is Rising

Man thats too bad its such a small concert, Death Cab is one of my favorite bands

Old Posted Apr 4, 2009, 2:43 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

From "The Sleuth"

Why still no announcement for the big show at Moncton's Magnetic Hill Concert Site? Sleuth hears the city is ready to go with an announcement at a moment's notice, and one is indeed pending very soon. In fact, a scheduled one this week was cancelled at the request of the promoters and band management, your gumshoe hears. Why? Because they want to announce the entire next leg of the band's tour all at once and there are still a couple of venues elsewhere that hadn't actually signed contracts yet. Can you feel the electricity building?

Old Posted Apr 5, 2009, 11:52 PM
Nashwaaksissy

FYI...the announcement for Charlottetown's Festival of Lights is coming tomorrow. Looks like they'll have more overplayed screamo-type bands again this year.

You can see some hints and guesses at http://www.facebook.com/pages/Festiv...5845868?ref=mf . I like this comment the best:
"Am I right to assume there won't be a beer tent??? I only ask cuz there won't be anyone there but 14yr old girls!!"

EDIT: Here's the lineup:
July 3rd - Simple Plan, Theory of a Deadman and Two Hours Traffic
July 4th - Daughtry, Marianas Trench, Orianthi and Paper Lions

I know where I won't be that weekend...

Last edited by kirjtc2; Apr 6, 2009 at 2:17 PM.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2009, 2:05 PM

Ac/dc

It was just announced... AC/DC is playing Magnetic hill on August 6th. The opening bands haven't been released yet.

Tickets start at around $99 + fees, etc and go on sale April 17th!

Old Posted Apr 9, 2009, 2:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirjtc2 View Post
FYI...the announcement for Charlottetown's Festival of Lights is coming tomorrow. Looks like they'll have more overplayed screamo-type bands again this year.

You can see some hints and guesses at http://www.facebook.com/pages/Festiv...5845868?ref=mf . I like this comment the best:
"Am I right to assume there won't be a beer tent??? I only ask cuz there won't be anyone there but 14yr old girls!!"

EDIT: Here's the lineup:
July 3rd - Simple Plan, Theory of a Deadman and Two Hours Traffic
July 4th - Daughtry, Marianas Trench, Orianthi and Paper Lions

I know where I won't be that weekend...
Why ?

Because its not a 70's overplayed old-classic rock line-up? This line-up is not so good but its funny to see how the current (alternative/rock/punk) music is ignored around here.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2009, 2:52 PM

Everyone who enjoys Atlantic Canadian music should check out the Stan Rogers festival in Canso, it's a great event for the community and the lineup of musicians is top-notch.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2009, 5:16 PM

AC/DC to play Magnetic Hill

By STEPHEN COOKE Entertainment Reporter
Thu. Apr 9 - 11:32 AM

Let there be rock: Australian rock icons AC/DC are officially heading to Moncton on Aug. 6 on their Black Ice World Tour.

Fans of the Back in Black quintet have been waiting for the other shoe to drop since CTV News announced the show was a go on Tuesday, March 24, citing unnamed concert industry sources stating an announcement would be made later that week.

The AC/DC appearance, its first in Atlantic Canada, will be the headlining slot for the Magnetic Hill Music Festival, with more acts to be announced at a later date by show producers Donald K. Donald Events and AEG LIVE. Since it began in October, the Black Ice World Tour was named Major Tour of the Year at the 20th Annual Pollstar Concert Industry Awards, while the Black Ice album.—.AC/DC’s first new release in over eight years.—.became the top seller for 2008, certified five times Platinum in Canada.

Dirty deeds won’t come dirt cheap: tickets go on sale Friday, April 17 at 10 a.m. for $99.50 and $219.50 for limited reserved grandstand seats (tax and service charges extra). They’ll be available online at tickets.moncton.ca, by phone at 1-888-720-5600 and at all Needs convenience stores across Atlantic Canada.

“The hottest act in rock today - this is the show that the fans wanted and we are thrilled that AC/DC has chosen to play at Magnetic Hill,” said veteran promoter Tarlton in a press release this morning

Old Posted Apr 9, 2009, 7:21 PM
Our Tide is Rising

!!!!!!!!!!!!

thats all I can say for now...

Old Posted Apr 9, 2009, 9:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmatt View Post
!!!!!!!!!!!!

thats all I can say for now...
Thats as much as I can say too !!!!!!

Old Posted Apr 10, 2009, 6:11 PM
Nashwaaksissy

Proof that every city thinks they can pull this off...

Blue Rodeo coming to Miramichi
Published Friday April 10th, 2009
A1
By Daniel Martins
martins.daniel@miramichileader.com

MIRAMICHI - Blue Rodeo will headline a new concert this June in Miramichi.

The country rock stars will join McGuinty, George Belliveau, J.F. Breau and Matt Minglewood for the inaugural Miramichi Fest ‘09, which is hoped to be the first of a new ongoing series of summer concerts in Miramichi.

"I think its fabulous to have an international Canadian band come in like Blue Rodeo," said Mavis Williamson, president of the Historic Chatham Business District, which is organizing the event. "It's just great for our area. It adds prestige to this event."

Miramichi Fest ‘09 is scheduled for Friday, June 26. the entertainment will start at 3 p.m. at the Miramichi Agricultural Exhibition Grounds, running until 11 p.m.

Williamson said the accompanying acts — Traditional Maritime performers McGuinty, country, blues, roots and rock singer Matt Minglewood and Acadian acts J.F. Breau and George Belliveau — were chosen to reflect the many cultures found on the Miramichi.

"We wanted to bring together the variety of cultures and have this as an event that will show the diversity of the Miramichi and the openness of the Miramichi," she said, adding the business district was still looking at attracting other bands as well.

Blue Rodeo has released 11 studio albums since their debut in 1984. Their latest album, 2007's "Small Miracles," reached fifth spot on the Canadian charts, and the single "This Town" reached number 73.

When asked if Blue Rodeo would have enough of a pull to be able to attract the crowds of up to 10,000 the business district is hoping for, Williamson said she thought so.

"We have every confidence in the world that there will be a large number of people there," she said.

"We've looked at what happens in other areas ... and the response we've been receiving so far from people wanting to be part of this event and the excitement that it has stirred in the city ... we're very confident that there's be a large turnout."

She said the business district has approached several sponsors and was working out several contracts, noting many seemed enthusiastic at being involved.

Deputy Mayor Nancy Lordon agreed with Williamson that the Blue Rodeo would be able to draw a good crowd.

"I think that Blue Rodeo, along with the other bands that will be playing here, will be more than enough to bring that many people into the city. It's a wonderful endeavour."

She said the event would be great for tourism and the economy, as she expected many concertgoers would stay overnight and spend their money in Miramichi.

When asked how such an event would fit in with long-time Miramichi summer fare like Irish Fest and Rock ‘n' Roll Fest, Lordon didn't think the addition of Miramichi Fest would negatively affect the other festivals.

"People are always looking for things to do on different weekends, people take vacations at different times and people travel through Miramichi at different times," she said. "So there'd be something for everybody."

Tickets for Miramichi Fest are $65, with pre-sale through the Blue Rodeo website (www.bluerodeo.com). Public ticket sales will start April 17, at www.miramichifest.com. Ticket price covers admission to all acts.

---------

10,000 seems way too high. Fredericton that weekend has 3 bands that are probably each bigger than Blue Rodeo and they're only expecting 15,000.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces