HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Claridge Icon in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Ottawa Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Oct 25, 2019, 2:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nortey35 View Post
Not sure if it was more than a rumor before but there seems to be for sure a farm boy going at the bottom of this development. Heard it from the architecture firm working on it. Also they’ve put a Claridge sign at the top of the building now. On both north and south sides.
First time I've heard that, but it would certainly fill a gap in that part of town.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2019, 2:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley613 View Post
I have never heard this rumor before. It would be a great spot but I don't see any space large enough on the ground floor for even a Rideau Centre sized Farm Boy. I am curious about the sign, that would be a new move for Claridge.
The one storey building on the west side of Preston just a little further north that was a commercial kitchen supplier (Russell Food Equipment) has been leased. 450 Preston St.

I wonder who the tenant is.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2019, 3:44 PM

That sign looks pretty permanent; anyone know if that's the plan? Some pretty nice advertising as you can see it for 10km in every direction.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2019, 3:47 PM

I hope the "Claridge" is not permanent - reminds me of seeing "Trump" on his various buildings - tacky - especially for a condo!

Old Posted Oct 25, 2019, 3:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshsparrow View Post
I hope the "Claridge" is not permanent - reminds me of seeing "Trump" on his various buildings - tacky - especially for a condo!
It definitely look like a permanent sign. I guess this is the first building they aren't ashamed to put signage on

Old Posted Oct 25, 2019, 5:29 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

As long as it isn't teal blue when they light it up...

Old Posted Oct 25, 2019, 6:38 PM
inner city

Yeah, I was hoping some SSP-ers would chime in about those letters. They are embarrassing and tacky and hopefully not permanent. Again, I'm not sure who is paying $1M for a 2-bedroom condo in here, with a Claridge billboard on top. Maybe they can retain a block of units for rent, and hang a "Now renting" banner, too?

What is with those off-colour rectangle bump-outs that look like AC unit cutouts on the crown?

Ouch, ouch, and ouch.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2019, 6:49 PM

That Claridge sign is

I would complain if I bought a unit.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2019, 7:14 PM
Busy Beaver

Aren't they are moving their head office there? That would explain the sign.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2019, 3:53 PM

Crane is coming down today.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2019, 6:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueNacho View Post
Crane is coming down today.
Miss the crane already... cmon Trinity get that 65 floor beast going!

Old Posted Oct 26, 2019, 7:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitchissippi View Post
Aren't they are moving their head office there? That would explain the sign.
I agree. The office space in the 5 story podium is going to include Claridge's new headquarters. That explains the signage. I would not be surprised if their HQ also includes a permanent design Center. The one at Lebreton Flats will most certainly disappear. Also from what I can see the ground floor layout does not look like it could support a Farm Boy. Will just have to wait and see.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2019, 5:51 PM

Are we sure the farm boy is going in this building and not on the CIBC lot across the street? I think Claridge also bought the Lutheran Church but not sure how they can integrate that.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2019, 12:12 AM

I picked up the brand new DJI Mavic Mini micro drone on release day yesterday and I've been having a blast with it. It is light enough that it's classified as a toy in Canada so I am able to fly it legally and safely in more places than my other drone. I got a few shots today including this one:

[IMG]DJI_0014 by harley613, on Flickr[/IMG]

Old Posted Nov 17, 2019, 12:54 AM

Quote:
I picked up the brand new DJI Mavic Mini micro drone on release day yesterday and I've been having a blast with it. It is light enough that it's classified as a toy in Canada so I am able to fly it legally and safely in more places than my other drone. I got a few shots today including this one:
Cool pictures. But please correct me if I am wrong. But doesn't this drone (since it is under 250 grams) only allow you to NOT register it with Transport Canada or have a basic license. Don't you still need to follow the other rules - mainly where you are allowed to fly. I don't think you are further than 1nm from the Civic Heliport.
Do you still need to follow this map MAP for allowable places to fly?

Genuine question - not trying to call you out - I (like you) have other drones, Phantom 3 Pro and Phantom 4, and find it near impossible to legally fly in the city.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2019, 1:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainView View Post
Cool pictures. But please correct me if I am wrong. But doesn't this drone (since it is under 250 grams) only allow you to NOT register it with Transport Canada or have a basic license. Don't you still need to follow the other rules - mainly where you are allowed to fly. I don't think you are further than 1nm from the Civic Heliport.
Do you still need to follow this map MAP for allowable places to fly?

Genuine question - not trying to call you out - I (like you) have other drones, Phantom 3 Pro and Phantom 4, and find it near impossible to legally fly in the city.
Incorrect. In Canada sub 250 gram 'toy drones' are not classified at all but there is one single line in the law requiring you to fly responsibly. Don Joyce explains it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNXf...jSJLu&index=42

I have also found some non legal wording from Transport Canada's website saying that sub 250 gram drones should not be flown 'over airports'.

It is different in the US where sub 250 grams don't need to be registered but have the exact same rules at regular drones.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2019, 1:13 AM

Also, I should mention as a fellow drone enthusiast that you should REALLY think about picking up a Mini. It's a phenomenal little piece of tech and I feel it is truly safe to fly in an urban environment. The body is mostly foam and the battery is about the weight of a couple of AA batteries, yet it performs like any other DJI drone and lasted a full 30 minutes on a single battery during -10 weather today.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2019, 2:17 AM

Quote:
Also, I should mention as a fellow drone enthusiast that you should REALLY think about picking up a Mini. It's a phenomenal little piece of tech and I feel it is truly safe to fly in an urban environment. The body is mostly foam and the battery is about the weight of a couple of AA batteries, yet it performs like any other DJI drone and lasted a full 30 minutes on a single battery during -10 weather today.
That's awesome!! Thanks so much for the info regarding the Transport Canada rules. The photos the mini took look terrific!

Old Posted Nov 17, 2019, 5:45 AM
Melissa: fabulous.

Quote:
Stunning shot(s... including those in other threads).

Old Posted Nov 17, 2019, 2:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainView View Post
That's awesome!! Thanks so much for the info regarding the Transport Canada rules. The photos the mini took look terrific!
The photos are great! There is no RAW mode but the JPEGs come out pretty clean and clear. Here is a great review of the Mavic Mini and further explanation of it's exemption from regulations in Canada

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIDK5YNuZik&t=673s

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa