HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Nov 15, 2019, 3:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeolas View Post
...The new Playhouse would be built at the rear of the building where it was already torn down, with the underground parking (Flood risk?) being under that new section.
I can't share the image but the article in the Telegraph shows an overhead of the plans. They include a new parking garage where the current parking lot is between the Centennial Building and Tim Horton's. This would be a great thing.

The plans don't elaborate on the hotel details but does indicate ground floor would be commercial/retail. It does show that the performing arts centre would be where the courthouse was meant to go so facing Brunswick. I'll be interested to see if the Playhouse 2.0 folks support this...

This would have an interesting ripple effect because there would be a new prime lot open where the current Playhouse is and still the eventual need for a new courthouse.

Edit: Too slow on the draw. Thanks for sharing the image folks.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2019, 4:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny golden View Post
I believe the demand is there. Attending a conference in a Fredericton hotel recently, I found out the hotel was fully booked. Staying at another hotel was less convenient. And that was booking the room a couple of months in advance of the event. I don't have occupancy figures, but I'm sure the developers wouldn't invest $ millions in a new hotel without doing their research. Having the Centennial building re-developed would be great for downtown Fredericton.
Yeah, lots of people are booking airbnbs on downtown instead because we only have 2 hotels. Crowne is kinda dated too. And technically 3 if you consider delta as a downtown hotel.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2019, 4:25 PM

I can't see the image at the moment, but it does sound like an interesting idea.

A parking garage next to Tim's would probably work well and help with the Legislature Parking crunch.

If the Playhouse does move, would the old Playhouse location be big enough for the Courthouse? The footprint is smaller, so that would mean some services would have to be elsewhere, and/or a taller building (But I don't see them going over 6 stories regardless).

Being next to the convention centre could be a boon. Not that we have big trials often; but things like the Jury Selection for the Cop shooter trial that had to be held at Grant Harvey could instead be done at the Convention Centre.

On second thought (sorry rambling a little), I'm thinking the old SMT site on Regent/King/Brunswick might be a better spot for a Grand Provincial Courthouse, and let the Playhouse site be turned over to something else; maybe parkland (NOT parking lot) for now until a high profile project comes up.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2019, 5:45 PM

When the plan was to put the new playhouse behind city hall there was talk of keeping the old playhouse around for smaller performances.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2019, 6:05 PM
New Brunswick booster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by starburns42 View Post
Yeah, lots of people are booking airbnbs on downtown instead because we only have 2 hotels. Crowne is kinda dated too. And technically 3 if you consider delta as a downtown hotel.
The Crown has gone through millions in restoration and updating over the last couple of years.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2019, 6:29 PM

Yeah for the most part the Crowne is quite modern now. I think there may still be some older rooms but most of the common areas have been completely redone (including the restaurants).

I think this plan is overall a hugely positive one. It eliminates quite a bit of surface parking (always a good thing), brings another hotel to the downtown, gives the playhouse a very nice new home, and brings more restaurant and retail opportunities to the city.

It might be a bit of a long shot for it to move forward but I'm cautiously optimistic right now.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2019, 8:27 PM

Could we see 5 cranes on the Freddy horizon next year?

-Risteen rebuild
-Legion rebuild
-New 7 story retail/apartment building on Queen
-Centennial rebuild
-Micro home build on Forest Hill Rd

Old Posted Nov 15, 2019, 9:24 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddypop View Post
Could we see 5 cranes on the Freddy horizon next year?

-Risteen rebuild
-Legion rebuild
-New 7 story retail/apartment building on Queen
-Centennial rebuild
-Micro home build on Forest Hill Rd
There are five tower cranes in greater Moncton currently - welcome to the club!

Old Posted Nov 15, 2019, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OliverD View Post

Beautiful looking rendering. A project like this would really elevate the whole area. It would be great to see this project go forward.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2019, 11:26 PM

I really like all of it and I can see why the combo makes much sense. Any notes in the article on capacity for the performing arts center?

Old Posted Nov 15, 2019, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddyGuy View Post
I really like all of it and I can see why the combo makes much sense. Any notes in the article on capacity for the performing arts center?
No details re capacity however since the plan would be to lease the facility to the city, one could assume it would have to meet or exceed the city derived specs. I would guess somewhere in the 1200 seat range. The main theatre would be around 1000 and the smaller venue 200-300.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2019, 4:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
There are five tower cranes in greater Moncton currently - welcome to the club!
Here's hoping !

Last edited by Freddypop; Nov 16, 2019 at 4:43 PM.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2019, 9:49 PM

Slightly outside downtown, I've heard chatter that there will be some work starting soon at the bottom of Odell Park. The old building on the corner of Wagoneers and Rookwood is going to be torn down next week, and an apartment building built there. Not sure how big it will be but 3-4 stories is likely.

Also heard that the blue building next to it will be a "Phase 2" or "Phase 3" addition in the future. The current tenants have a 3 year lease, but when it is done, the blue building will be taken down for more apartments. The barn/storage shed behind the blue building will be taken down too at some point though when is uncertain.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2019, 1:39 PM

Quote:
No details re capacity however since the plan would be to lease the facility to the city, one could assume it would have to meet or exceed the city derived specs. I would guess somewhere in the 1200 seat range. The main theatre would be around 1000 and the smaller venue 200-300.
The provincial government said they would be making a decision on the centennial building soon. It's a major project that will transform the eyesore that's there now, hopefully into something magnificent.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2019, 3:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny golden View Post
The provincial government said they would be making a decision on the centennial building soon. It's a major project that will transform the eyesore that's there now, hopefully into something magnificent.
My sources say to expect an announcement between now and Xmas. The PNB has decisions to make, including what to do with the courthouse. That is linked to this project as it remains one option to address that situation. Likely the reason for the delay in the decision. Also have heard that they received more than one proposal from private developers. So will be interesting to see what they finally decide upon. Bottom line though is that that area will be undergoing major changes over the next couple of years. PNB has got to get this right

Old Posted Nov 17, 2019, 3:35 PM

Don't believe it was mentioned but there is a Robins donuts and VLT lounge well underway next to the Kingsclear FN gas stop.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2019, 3:50 PM

For those asking about the future of the former Fadi's Pizza on Main. It is has been bought, is being renovated and will reopen as "Fadi's Pizza and Donair". Other than renos and new ownership, everything will be the same. Even Fadi will be working there. So what's old is new again? They are hoping to be open in time for Xmas

Old Posted Nov 17, 2019, 6:01 PM

Quote:
My sources say to expect an announcement between now and Xmas. The PNB has decisions to make, including what to do with the courthouse. That is linked to this project as it remains one option to address that situation. Likely the reason for the delay in the decision. Also have heard that they received more than one proposal from private developers. So will be interesting to see what they finally decide upon. Bottom line though is that that area will be undergoing major changes over the next couple of years. PNB has got to get this right
According to the story in Saturday's newspaper, PNB has been working on this file and the decision will be made in the next "few weeks". It's great that this area will see a much needed major transformation. Let's hope that the end product is first-rate.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2019, 3:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeolas View Post
Slightly outside downtown, I've heard chatter that there will be some work starting soon at the bottom of Odell Park. The old building on the corner of Wagoneers and Rookwood is going to be torn down next week, and an apartment building built there. Not sure how big it will be but 3-4 stories is likely.

Also heard that the blue building next to it will be a "Phase 2" or "Phase 3" addition in the future. The current tenants have a 3 year lease, but when it is done, the blue building will be taken down for more apartments. The barn/storage shed behind the blue building will be taken down too at some point though when is uncertain.
Interesting. I'd noticed that all of those properties had been sold fairly recently so I was thinking they might be redeveloped. That's a great location to add some density.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2019, 12:17 PM

Fredericton is getting it's own ride sharing start-up. Hope it works out for them. The Taxi Companies in this town are less than ideal.

https://www.google.com/amp/theaquini...-own-uber/amp/

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces