HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario

Old Posted Dec 30, 2009, 3:17 PM

Quote:
GO Transit launches six more eastbound routes between UW and Mississauga’s Square One

December 30, 2009
By Melinda Dalton, Record staff

WATERLOO REGION — GO Transit is rolling out more options for travellers looking to head to Mississauga for the weekend.

Starting on Saturday, GO is expanding its Kitchener-Waterloo route to include six more eastbound trips between the University of Waterloo and Square One mall in Mississauga on Friday afternoons as well as three new trips from the mall back to the university on Sundays.

“Students are our customers so we try and service wherever the demand is,” said GO Transit spokesperson, Robin Alam.

The commuter service started offering bus trips from the region to Mississauga and the Milton GO train station in October.

November ridership numbers show that about 325 people a week on average are using the buses, the majority heading to the Mississauga terminal.

December ridership numbers haven’t been released.

“It is meeting our expectations,” Alam said. “We’re happy people are taking advantage of it.”

In addition to the expanded trip schedule, changes will also be made departure and arrival times of existing trips starting Saturday. The changes were made to better reflect actual travel time, Alam said.

GO Transit consistently analyzes ridership and route data and makes schedule adjustments about four times a year, he said.

GO buses currently pick up and drop off riders at four stops in the region:

* University of Waterloo, at the Davis Centre bus station on the east ring road.

* Wilfrid Laurier University, at the iXpress stops at University Avenue and Hazel Street

* Kitchener at Charles Street transit terminal

* Cambridge at the Wal-Mart power centre, Hespeler and Pinebush roads, at the iXpress stops.

GO also operates express buses that travel direct from University of Waterloo to Mississauga.

A one-way ticket to Union Station via Milton cost $14.35. A ticket to Mississauga costs $11.85.

For a schedule, see GO Transit’s website at www.gotransit.com.
Looks like GO is a hit so far!

I don't know a lot about ridership numbers, so I can't comment on whether or not 325/week is good or not, but if they've increased trip frequency it's got to be good!

Old Posted Dec 30, 2009, 4:18 PM
Urban Advocate

Let's see Dec and Jan numbers before we start commenting... Looks good though.
Cities are the most extraordinary human creation. They are this phenomenon which has unbelievable capacity to solve problems, to innovate, to invent, to create prosperity, to make change and continually reform. - Ken Greenburg

Old Posted Dec 30, 2009, 7:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onishenko View Post
Let's see Dec and Jan numbers before we start commenting... Looks good though.
Do you think December/January numbers will be reliable? With all the students going home/coming back I'd expect to see a jump.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2009, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcollins View Post
I don't know a lot about ridership numbers, so I can't comment on whether or not 325/week is good or not, but if they've increased trip frequency it's got to be good!
GO runs 27 buses a weekday... I suspect the 325 figure is an average daily figure, not per week.

It's not really an increase in frequency, just the addition of express weekend UW to Square One service. Basically GO is taking the Fed Bus market, by providing comparable rates and more comfortable buses. Now that they have express buses, I don't think UW's Square One Fed Bus will last long.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2010, 5:35 AM

Transit Toronto wrote that GO Transit added a stop in Kitchener on King near Conestoga Parkway, which I immediately tweeted about for TriTAG. But neither GO's website nor the schedule have anything. Can anyone verify?

Old Posted Jan 10, 2010, 2:58 AM

Unfortunatly it's true.
One passenger moaned enough and got his own stop.
This is not a good thing.
GRT offer a wonderfull service, very frequent to downtown Kitchener, U of Waterloo and Cambridge.
The new GO service is supposed to be semi express, but it looks like they are already giving in to lazy passengers.
Before you know it there will be 20 stops along King ST adding another 30 mins to the service.
As a driver this is bad, the luggage bay in the bus are full with luggage on most trips and now with extra stops it's going to become a nightmare.
The more stops you put in the more you will deter new passengers.
1hr and 30 / 45 mins currently from U or waterloo to SQ1, now washroom facilities along route for passengers, any increase in journey time will be bad.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2010, 3:04 AM

As for the Double Deckers, i have a feeling they may use them from U of Waterloo to SQ1 express on Fridays.
As you have mentioned GO added extra buses, this is due to high volume out of the two University's.
Passenger loads from what i have encountered from Kitchener and Cambridge is low to moderate.
Actualy, i am disapointed with the residents of cambridge, after years of complaining and demanding a GO service, not many have tried it out yet.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2010, 3:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpd618 View Post
Transit Toronto wrote that GO Transit added a stop in Kitchener on King near Conestoga Parkway, which I immediately tweeted about for TriTAG. But neither GO's website nor the schedule have anything. Can anyone verify?
I tweeted it too.
The stop was put in last weekend.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2010, 3:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yyzman View Post
Actualy, i am disapointed with the residents of cambridge, after years of complaining and demanding a GO service, not many have tried it out yet.
That's because the stop is in a location served by only two bus lines and there's nowhere for non-bus commuters to park. Put a park-and-ride lot (and another bus route or two) in the development and watch numbers go up.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2010, 4:32 AM
G.G.H. Transit

Quote:
Originally Posted by yyzman View Post
Unfortunatly it's true.
One passenger moaned enough and got his own stop.
This is not a good thing.
GRT offer a wonderfull service, very frequent to downtown Kitchener, U of Waterloo and Cambridge.
The new GO service is supposed to be semi express, but it looks like they are already giving in to lazy passengers.
Before you know it there will be 20 stops along King ST adding another 30 mins to the service.
As a driver this is bad, the luggage bay in the bus are full with luggage on most trips and now with extra stops it's going to become a nightmare.
The more stops you put in the more you will deter new passengers.
1hr and 30 / 45 mins currently from U or waterloo to SQ1, now washroom facilities along route for passengers, any increase in journey time will be bad.
I'm kinda on the fence with the new stop on King Street, on one hand it was one guy that got it added. I was on the 25A one day before christmas and sure enough this one guy was flaging down the GO bus to pick him up at the GRT stop. Should GO put in stops to satisfy 1 or 2 customers? IMO, no.

On the other hand, to me this is a logical place to put a stop, it's kinda the last opportunity to either change your mind before hitting Cambridge or the last chance to board for the same reason.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2014, 5:28 PM

Councillors receive report to extend Cambridge-Milton GO service for $20 million
June 24, 2014 | Metro News | Link

Quote:
Eager to convince the province that extending GO train service from Milton to Cambridge can relieve congestion on Highway 401, city councillors received a report Monday saying basic GO service could start from Galt for as little as $20 million.

Written by consultants Hatch Mott MacDonald and Dillon Consulting, the report says service using smaller, faster trains than the current 12-car trains used by the rest of the GO network could lower the capital cost of providing the service from $110 million (in 2009 dollars) to $20 million.

But using these shorter trains, called diesel multiple units, would mean passengers would have to transfer to the larger GO trains at Milton station, something that would lengthen trip times for commuters. Using different trains than the rest of the GO fleet raises challenges as well.

“Potential ridership impacts with a ‘train to train’ transfer and a host of scheduling, operational and equipment compatibility issues are potential concerns and will also need to be tested and assessed,” the report says.

Two other options presented in the report use the conventional GO trains, travelling in two or four round trips to Toronto’s Union Station, and would cost between $32 million and $110 million in 2009 dollars.

The report calls for three or four new stations along the Cambridge-to-Milton corridor, with one in Galt and others possibly in Puslinch Township and Halton.

Cambridge Mayor Doug Craig has said repeatedly bringing GO service to Cambridge is his highest transit priority — more important than preparing for the second phase of the region’s light rail transit system.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2019, 6:13 PM
HSR Bus Fan // Registered

Does anyone know where I can find specs on GO Transit's double-decker bus #8438?

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario