HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Nov 23, 2022, 6:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
I do like the 'shared promenades' to connect it north-south.
Will be nice if they do a nice job sprucing up the alleys

Old Posted Nov 23, 2022, 8:19 PM

Last time I walked by Norquest they were putting the finishing touches on their new quad and (thanks for that amazing recent aerial) I just realized how well the new park will connect the new quad with MacEwan and Jasper.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2022, 9:08 PM
A Better Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallsy's Toupee View Post
The new park plans look good for the most part, although I'm not that keen on the so-called "ornamental water feature" since I'm expecting an actual water fountain.
From the other renderings shared, it does look like there will be water jets or something like that as part of the water feature, which is fountain-esque. What I don't want is a standing pool of stagnant water.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2022, 9:27 PM
Community Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
From the other renderings shared, it does look like there will be water jets or something like that as part of the water feature, which is fountain-esque. What I don't want is a standing pool of stagnant water.
AHS basically won't allow that anymore.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jan 4, 2023, 4:00 PM
Community Guy

My expectation

Google

Old Posted Jan 4, 2023, 4:11 PM
Change is good

You are going to be deeply disappointed if grant park is your goal for this one lol.

Lets not forget we have our crown jewel in park spaces already, the massive under utilized river valley.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2023, 8:27 PM

Quote:
My expectation

Google
isn't that more than 300 acres of waterfront park?

which 1% (less the waterfront of course) is your expectation for our 3 acre warehouse park?

one of my concerns over the conceptual plans for the warehouse district park is that they're trying to shoehorn too many components into it and there isn't going to be room for any of them to be particularly successful.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2023, 2:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcantor View Post
isn't that more than 300 acres of waterfront park?

which 1% (less the waterfront of course) is your expectation for our 3 acre warehouse park?

one of my concerns over the conceptual plans for the warehouse district park is that they're trying to shoehorn too many components into it and there isn't going to be room for any of them to be particularly successful.
I bet Ian was totally serious.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2023, 3:18 AM
Community Guy

You know me too well.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2023, 5:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardhatdan View Post
I bet Ian was totally serious.
you would probably lose that bet...

even i don't think Ian was being serious, i think he was being flippant.

Quote:
You know me too well.
don't we all?

Old Posted Jan 5, 2023, 6:04 PM

Quote:
you would probably lose that bet...

even i don't think Ian was being serious, i think he was being flippant.

don't we all?
Whatever Ian did to you, seek counselling for it Grasshopper, airing it on here is getting old.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2023, 7:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardhatdan View Post
Whatever Ian did to you, seek counselling for it Grasshopper, airing it on here is getting old.
fair comment but to be fair to Ian he didn’t “do anything to me”.

i simply find too much of his posting flippant and his willingness to defend anything he has posted at all costs intransigent.

why should i bother to point that out when i think it’s gone overboard even for Ian? because i happen to think in most cases he knows better and he has much more to contribute by being less flippant, less irreverent and less intransigent.

i suppose i could set his posts on “ignore” but in 40 years of internet discussions i’ve not once done that. i also suppose i could simply ignore his posts whenever i see them as i do with many posters whose posts and/or opinions deserve short shrift but Ian has earned/deserves more than short shrift. is it my place to take that on? certainly not in terms of it being an obligation? probably not but anyone who doesn’t care for it - including Ian as well as you - is equally free to put me on “ignore” or simply to ignore my posts.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2023, 8:10 PM

Quote:
fair comment but to be fair to Ian he didn’t “do anything to me”.

i simply find too much of his posting flippant and his willingness to defend anything he has posted at all costs intransigent.

why should i bother to point that out when i think it’s gone overboard even for Ian? because i happen to think in most cases he knows better and he has much more to contribute by being less flippant, less irreverent and less intransigent.

i suppose i could set his posts on “ignore” but in 40 years of internet discussions i’ve not once done that. i also suppose i could simply ignore his posts whenever i see them as i do with many posters whose posts and/or opinions deserve short shrift but Ian has earned/deserves more than short shrift. is it my place to take that on? certainly not in terms of it being an obligation? probably not but anyone who doesn’t care for it - including Ian as well as you - is equally free to put me on “ignore” or simply to ignore my posts.
Good point on that last bit. Done and done.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2023, 4:07 AM
Community Guy

Project Update - December 2022​

Thank you to everyone who engaged with us during preliminary design engagement for Warehouse Park.

The online survey was open from November 14 - December 4 with in-person and online events and stakeholder meetings occurring throughout that period. Regardless of how you chose to engage, we appreciate everyone who took the time to provide their feedback. A What We Heard Report will be posted in early 2023.

This was the final stage of engagement for Warehouse Park. The project team will now review all of the feedback provided, along with technical information and City policies and programs, to develop a final design. We will share that design when it is available. Construction is anticipated to begin in spring 2024.

https://www.edmonton.ca/projects_pla...hbourhood-park

Old Posted May 4, 2023, 2:10 PM
Community Guy

Reference ID: Job No 470589514-002
Description: To develop a Public Park, and construct a one story washroom pavilion accessory to the Public Park, Warehouse Park.
Plan B2 Blk 7 Lot 145
Applicant: GH3*
Create Date: 2023-04-27T14:20:14Z
Neighbourhood: DOWNTOWN

Old Posted May 14, 2023, 4:45 PM
Community Guy

Going to EDC May 16

Design brief here:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-B6...v2OTn-66D/view

Old Posted May 15, 2023, 2:30 PM

Okay, that 'Northern Light' thing is pretty cool. Awesome way to add lighting to a large portion of the park.

Old Posted May 15, 2023, 4:13 PM

I really like the design as presented. I did think there would be a bigger area for sports like full basketball court and a resto but do see there are 3 areas for pickup basketball and space for food truck(s)? Over all I really like the grass plaza and walking paths and the ribbon of northern lights could be remarkable possibly if they spend the $ to have something special created to give it the effect of multicoloured movement … which would be spectacular. Glad to see a good sized play area for kids and doggies. This park will be a real plus for people living immediately adjacent.

Old Posted May 15, 2023, 9:09 PM

Very nice! But let's be realistic: give it about two years after opening, and some trees and shrubs will start dying and not be replaced. the weeds will start to take over the shrub beds, devouring them. the trash won't be picked up in a timely manner. oh, and epcor will commence some utility work and fill it back in with asphalt, instead of the decorative pavers. and to add to it all, and the lighting will be so fancy, the city will use the vendor for the jasper ave street lights and our children's children will be waiting for the proper fixtures to be installed!

prove me wrong.

Old Posted May 18, 2023, 12:41 AM

The park is very nice. That being said and I assume there's a reason for it, but the park should have been fronting Jasper Ave. It's going to look pretty ridiculous with that parking lot and Boston Pizza right in front of it.

Secondly, not sure now is even the right time to be investing so much money for a park downtown. Unless the city is planning on setting up a 24 hour police pavilion, the park will become a hub of social issues and criminal activity. I also think not having that direct visibility from Jasper, will only make the issue worse.

I also wonder about the maintenance. Its going to need a pretty hefty budget to maintain it and replace items that are vandalized and spray painted on a regular basis.

I hope I'm wrong.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton