HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Oct 24, 2017, 6:52 PM
Philly Rising Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yurkek View Post
I hope there is still enough demand for offices and residential in this area.
Exactly, we need to see if things fill up. If so, the spill over could justify the Cathedral Square development. I have friends that just rented a town-home near NorthXNorthwest buildings done by ForestCity. A 2 bedroom town home wasn't cheap, but they got a good deal with 2 parking spaces in the garage developed in conjunction with the development as part of their rent. I think the area is hot. Hope Cathedral Development happens sooner rather than later. On a different note, if we land HQ2, we can be damn sure to see a huge amount of buildings rise over the coming decade.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2017, 3:31 PM

Archdiocese issues RFQ for Logan Square mixed-use campus

Quote:
A year after announcing plans to build two high-rises by its historic Cathedral Basilica of Saints Peter and Paul, the Archdiocese of Philadelphia has issued its first Request for Qualifications (RFQ) for developers interested in taking on the Cathedral Block Redevelopment.

The archdiocese dropped the RFQ on Monday, stating, “It is anticipated that several developers will participate in the RFQ process and that the project will be put out to bid in early 2018.”

The move comes after the archdiocese first released renderings to the Logan Square Neighborhood Association in October 2016 of the proposed project. They illustrated two high rise towers, mixed residential and retail space, gardens, and walkways.

Meanwhile, three buildings currently on the site would potentially be demolished, leaving an L-shaped, 2.32-acre piece of land to be redeveloped: The Archdiocesan Pastoral Center (built in 1969), the Holy Family Center (built in 1960), and the former convent for the Cathedral (built in 1957).

The historic Cathedral Basilica of Saints Peter and Paul would remain.

The mixed-use project is an effort for the archdiocese to boost its finances. The parcel of land in the heart of Logan Square and along the Ben Franklin Parkway places the future project in a prime location that has already seen a major investment from other development projects.
https://philly.curbed.com/2017/10/25...ighrise-towers

Old Posted Oct 25, 2017, 3:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
Archdiocese issues RFQ for Logan Square mixed-use campus

https://philly.curbed.com/2017/10/25...ighrise-towers
Some interesting things can be built on 2.32 acres... fingers crossed.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2017, 4:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Best Forumer View Post
Some interesting things can be built on 2.32 acres... fingers crossed.
Like Comcast III.
Just kidding. It's too far from their current site.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2017, 2:45 PM

Philadelphia archdiocese moves forward with vision to redevelop cathedral campus near Logan Square

Quote:
A year after the Archdiocese of Philadelphia announced its vision for building sleek high-rise towers beside the Cathedral Basilica of SS. Peter and Paul, it is officially seeking requests from developers interested in taking on the project.

In a Request for Qualifications issued in late October, the archdiocese said it expected “several” developers to express interest in the project, which aims to develop the 2.3-acre property surrounding the Center City cathedral. Once developers’ qualifications are received, the archdiocese said its expects to bid the project out in early 2018.

To whichever developer is ultimately selected, the archdiocese will extend a 60-year lease for the L-shaped parcel running to the north and east of the 1864 cathedral, located on the 1700 block of Race Street, next to Logan Square. Ultimately, the archdiocese aims to redevelop or demolish three buildings that surround the cathedral: the Archdiocesan Pastoral Center (222 N. 17th St.), the Holy Family Center (227 N. 18th St.), and a former convent on the parcel (adjacent to the rectory at 1701-1711 Race St.). The cathedral, its adjacent chapel, and the rectory will remain untouched.

It is still unclear what might be built in place of the three properties. In renderings presented to members of the Logan Square Neighbors Association last year, the archdiocese envisioned the construction of two sleek, high-rise buildings that would house mostly residential units, the archdiocese said. The building to the north, which appeared in the initial rendering as a 44-story glass tower, would feature ground-floor retail and restaurant space, the archdiocese imagined. To the east, it envisioned a 33-story tower that could accommodate archdiocesan administrative offices on its lower floors. Between both buildings, landscaped paths dotted the area.

In an email in October, however, Ken Gavin, a spokesman for the archdiocese, said the renderings were “merely conceptual” and were used to provide “the community and a potential developer with a sense of what’s possible on the site.”

“Ultimately, the plan will be the developer’s, but we will retain some control over what we permit,” Gavin said. “Presumably, market conditions will influence what’s done.”

The final plan, Gavin said last week, “would need to provide accommodation for the … resident priests and offices.” He said the archdiocese also envisions “that housing for the Archbishop of Philadelphia would be transferred to the current cathedral rectory.”

Drew Murray, president of the Logan Square Neighbors Association, said the archdiocese unofficially presented its initial renderings last year to members of the group, and ultimately gave church officials a “pretty positive” reception.

“What they showed us, it opened up the block and had open public areas, which is what we look for in the community,” said Murray, who said he looked forward to seeing future plans for the space. “We were very happy when they came to us early the last time, and that they wanted to show the community conceptual plans.”

“That’s something really important to the Logan Square Neighborhood association,” Murray continued. “We want to have a positive relationship.”
Read more here:
http://www.philly.com/philly/busines...-20171031.html

Old Posted Oct 31, 2017, 3:51 PM
Philly Pholly

I loved their proposal. I hope they save some aspects of it. Philly skyline could use some of those curves.

Cathedral-front+view-night by jackftl, on Flickr

Old Posted Nov 2, 2017, 10:35 PM

Archdiocese Looking to Transform a Block in Logan Square

Read more here:
http://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-phill...k-logan-square

Old Posted Nov 3, 2017, 8:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEFTA View Post
I loved their proposal. I hope they save some aspects of it. Philly skyline could use some of those curves.

Cathedral-front+view-night by jackftl, on Flickr
This isn't a proposal. I don't mean to be curt, but it's been explained a few times in this thread and in the accompanying articles. The renderings are just a concept/vision of what the church expects the successful bidder may propose and build. We don't know who's bidding or what their plans are - and we may not until we reach the RFP phase. Though I do agree, the renderings are damn sexy.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2017, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBane View Post
This isn't a proposal. I don't mean to be curt, but it's been explained a few times in this thread and in the accompanying articles. The renderings are just a concept/vision of what the church expects the successful bidder may propose and build. We don't know who's bidding or what their plans are - and we may not until we reach the RFP phase. Though I do agree, the renderings are damn sexy.
That's just plain wrong. These renderings were posted first by the church and then by the ARCHITECT desiging it, meaning that this is what they have in mind.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2017, 11:19 PM
Philly Pholly

Quote:
Excuse me. What I meant to say was -I loved their concept/vision. I hope they save some aspects of it. Philly skyline could use some of those curves.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2017, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
That's just plain wrong. These renderings were posted first by the church and then by the ARCHITECT desiging it, meaning that this is what they have in mind.
I don't have any inside info about whatever might have happened between the church and the architect to date, but normally the client, the church, for whatever reasons wants to rethink their use of their property with the idea of maximizing it's value/worth/use/etc. In this case there's every reason to believe the church was only thinking of working with a outside developer and never being the developer themselves. Who knows the entire reasoning behind the church making this move, but to increase income is one stated reason.

The client comes up with a list of uses they have or want to have: certain amount of office space, home for a priest or two, a garden, a certain amount of space as a buffer around the cathedral, a certain style of building perhaps, etc. The architect checks out the zoning and other possible limiting or desired features of the property, then goes to work trying to come up with various plans to show the client what is possible within the various assumptions that were given. There might be one set of plans showing what could be built within the existing zoning and another set showing what might be possible if a variance was granted. Depending on how much money the client is willing to spend this process might be very short and sweet or could go on for many months. The end result is rarely just one particularly vision although what is released to the public, if anything, is often just a very sexy and jazzed up look (as a example check out the plans for the 30th St. Station District, that show what might be the City's tallest building! or 40 years worth of dreams for Penn's Landing)

Hopefully the architect has some experience with the possible scale of the project and doesn't come up with anything that is really out of the scope of what might some day get built, or is way too costly to build, but the architect is just going through a process of educated dreams, not trying to come up with anything that's intended to get built. And the client often likes the idea of a sexy looking project, it might generate a lot of internal excitement and energy. At this stage no one wants boring (except PMC!)

Personally I'm impressed by these drawings, but even if everything flows just as smoothly as possible and there is no economic downturn, demand for CC housing stays high, and Amazon comes to town, I would be extremely surprised if anything even close to these curved beauties get built. There are some real world reasons why you don't see that many curves in buildings.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2017, 12:51 AM

Totally agreed. It would be nice to see those get built, but you never know. The height is pretty good as well. At the moment, 3 Logan Square is the northernmost building over 500 feet in the city. I think a building of that height would extend the skyline to the north, like how (lol) proposals like SLS extend it to the south. From the west and east views, the buildings in those renderings bring more balance to the skyline as a whole.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2017, 1:12 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Saturn64 View Post
like how (lol) proposals like SLS extend it to the south.
Keep lol'ing SLS. See what happens.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2017, 7:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyscraper View Post
See what happens.
more lolling?

Old Posted Nov 6, 2017, 2:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEFTA View Post
Excuse me. What I meant to say was -I loved their concept/vision. I hope they save some aspects of it. Philly skyline could use some of those curves.
Absolutely agreed! I'm really excited to see the proposed renderings. And considering the site sits next to the Basilica, the Church could have just trotted out some conservative plans that maintains the Basilica's prominence. Hopefully, developers get the hint that the Church is looking for bold architecture, not something that will "blend in" or take a back seat to the Basilica (though, no doubt at least one developer will submit propose a traditional style building with similar materials and color scheme as the church).

Old Posted Nov 6, 2017, 3:59 PM

Anything modern and glass that blocks the view of United Way building and the Sheraton is A-OK in my book.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2017, 4:10 PM
Philly Rising Up!

If and when this gets developed, I can see the capping of 676 between them more of a reality with the right people pushing to get it done. In other words, this development is right across from the Alexander and Morman Temple, and it would make sense to have some form of public space between them-hence the capping of this section.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2017, 4:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartphilly View Post
If and when this gets developed, I can see the capping of 676 between them more of a reality with the right people pushing to get it done. In other words, this development is right across from the Alexander and Morman Temple, and it would make sense to have some form of public space between them-hence the capping of this section.
I don't know about that.....gotta keep those Mormons and Catholics at arms length from each other

Old Posted Nov 6, 2017, 7:33 PM

Quote:
I don't know about that.....gotta keep those Mormons and Catholics at arms length from each other

Whose Brain Is It Abby Someone Abby Normal Igor

Old Posted Nov 13, 2017, 5:12 PM
build awesome buildings

http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/201...nal-attention/

looks like this lot is getting some serious attention (at least according to those who are selling it). would absolutely love to see this get developed sooner rather than later.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive