HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Oct 28, 2020, 4:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
Link to an awesome video posted on the Vimeo of this building:
https://vimeo.com/386303157/0cc1d190...esF08eQ2KMgmqI
The kid playing soccer with the enchanted ball at 29 seconds is kinda creepy.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2020, 4:49 PM

Old Posted Nov 3, 2020, 9:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanthusiat View Post
Amazing to see! At this point, building is 25% leased. Should be nearing 100% leased by completion at this rate. If so, that would absolutely spark interest in another spec building I'm sure. Quote from the article:

Quote:
One uCity Square has landed two additional tenants and now has roughly 100,000 square feet of space leased at the 400,000-square-foot building under development in the University City neighborhood of Philadelphia.

Integral Molecular, a biotech company located at the University City Science Center, and Exponent Inc. (NASDAQ: EXPO), a California-based international engineering and scientific consulting firm with an office at 3440 Market St. in University City, are the latest companies to lease space in the building. Each took a floor, which totals 32,500 square feet.
https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...4aFGk#cxrecs_s

Old Posted Nov 3, 2020, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
Amazing to see! At this point, building is 25% leased. Should be nearing 100% leased by completion at this rate. If so, that would absolutely spark interest in another spec building I'm sure. Quote from the article:

https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...4aFGk#cxrecs_s
Great news of course, but it would be great to attract net-new tenants. Unless the signings simply outgrew their existing space.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2020, 4:15 AM

Singapore government fund joins $930M venture backing West Philly life-science projects

Quote:
Real estate trust Ventas Inc. has formed a joint venture with a Singapore sovereign wealth fund to finish developing $930 million in research and lab space, including projects on West Philadelphia’s uCity Square complex and with Drexel University, as the life-science sector proves resilient to a downturn in other property types.

The newly formed venture between Ventas and Singapore’s GIC Pte. Ltd. will own 1.4 million square feet of lab-and-research space across four projects under development in Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, and Phoenix, Ventas said in a release Friday.

The projects in the Ventas-GIC joint venture are part of what Ventas has classified as its “Research and Innovation” portfolio, a bundle of health-science buildings that it has been developing in collaboration with U.S. universities.

Among them are the 400,000-square-foot One uCity Square building that’s part of West Philadelphia’s growing uCity Square complex and the College of Nursing and Health Professions tower on Drexel-owned land at 36th and Filbert Streets.
Read more here:
https://www.inquirer.com/business/ve...-20201106.html

Old Posted Nov 17, 2020, 5:35 PM

Some tidbits about this in the article below. Nothing major.

Don’t count out office buildings yet. Philly developers push ahead with new, pandemic-resistant designs

Read more here:
https://www.inquirer.com/real-estate...-20201117.html

Old Posted Nov 17, 2020, 5:55 PM

I'm still confused by the push around the country towards pandemic-resistant office buildings. Pandemics are very rare events, it's probably more likely your company will cease to exist before the next one happens. Even if your employees are sick with something like the seasonal flu, ideally you'd ask them not to come into the office.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2020, 6:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomguy34 View Post
I'm still confused by the push around the country towards pandemic-resistant office buildings. Pandemics are very rare events, it's probably more likely your company will cease to exist before the next one happens. Even if your employees are sick with something like the seasonal flu, ideally you'd ask them not to come into the office.
I don't think this is that... there is a very strong demand from Biotech, Pharma and Life Sciences companies in the city of Philadelphia, and some surrounding suburban towns/cities, and there is a SEVERE lack of lab space/office space to accommodate them. I think this is a mad dash by developers to meet that demand.

The new office building for Morgan Lewis & Bockius has been a long time coming. They've been looking to upgrade their office space for a while now.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2020, 6:21 AM

Quote:

If this is happening, I think its a reaction similar to what happened after 9/11 when new buildings were 'hardened'. In some ways Covid and all it represents is scarier then a terrorist attack, as we are dealing with something we can't see or touch, hear or feel. We do a good job in getting prepared for the last problem, but not so good trying to be ready for the next problem.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2020, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Except biological warfare is potentially a very real threat, and if Americans proved anything during this pandemic, it's that we're utterly incapable of following rules and are prime targets.

If you released an engineered virus into our population every 5 years or so, it would be the end of the American reign. Although in reality, our global reign is already over.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2020, 2:50 PM

in addition to the points already made, I think pandemic-resistant buildings end up being closely aligned with trends already starting with open office space based on innovation and collaboration vs the isolated cubical setup. The larger, open space with a decrease in contact points also helps with sick building syndrome, which has been a talking point for a while, as well as the psychological well-being of people in the workspace.

Personally, while trophy towers and supertalls are always fun, I'm a lot more interested in the density and activity that developments bring to the street-level and immediate area. There are plenty of examples of high-rises that end up feeling kind of desolate at street-level. Low-rise developments seem to focus a little more on this, maybe as a way to stand out over competition. Also, the note in the article on the overuse of glass is interesting. I'm really hoping to seem some more heavy timber or CLT used as a material. A lot of the examples I've seen of it have give off a warm, welcoming feeling I guess due to the natural/earthy material use.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2020, 2:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skintreesnail View Post
Personally, while trophy towers and supertalls are always fun, I'm a lot more interested in the density and activity that developments bring to the street-level and immediate area. There are plenty of examples of high-rises that end up feeling kind of desolate at street-level. Low-rise developments seem to focus a little more on this, maybe as a way to stand out over competition. Also, the note in the article on the overuse of glass is interesting. I'm really hoping to seem some more heavy timber or CLT used as a material. A lot of the examples I've seen of it have give off a warm, welcoming feeling I guess due to the natural/earthy material use.
This. There will always be an opportunity to build up in the future.

What I like about this midrise development is that it has the potential to push development further afield...which is good for neighborhoods and economic development, generally.

If this midrise development continues in West Philly...how far west will it go? 50th Street? 69th Street? I mean, there are rumors that the first block of Liberties Walk in NoLibs (between 2nd and American) is coming down for an office building.

That's great news for the city. (And I assume a building for Go Puff or Seer Interactive).

Old Posted Dec 2, 2020, 7:04 PM

From the Lowrise Thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanthusiat View Post
In any event: UCity Square posted an update on Twitter:

In 2020, the only type of party to have is a crane party.

Crazy how much construction is going on over here. Looks like the new school is wrapping up, the apartments are well underway, Drexel tower is about to go vertical, and UCity Square should be pouring foundations soon. Love to see it.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2020, 7:42 PM

Looking good

Old Posted Dec 8, 2020, 7:30 PM

How Philly’s Bioscience Sector Is Driving the City’s Next Big Real Estate Boom

Nice article with some tidbits about this in there. Not much we don't already know.
Read more here:
https://www.phillymag.com/healthcare...12_50ElgmTTiMI

Old Posted Dec 28, 2020, 6:09 PM
Cory Trevor Leahy

12/27/20

Old Posted Jan 12, 2021, 8:49 PM

Old Posted Feb 22, 2021, 3:26 PM

This was posted by Jawnadelphia in the Drexel College of Nursing page here:
https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...=239013&page=3

Old Posted Feb 24, 2021, 6:54 PM

Old Posted Mar 12, 2021, 1:30 PM

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive