HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Dec 18, 2020, 5:13 AM

I walked past the location where this building is going to be built yesterday and no demo has begun to the original structure.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2020, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Model View Post
I walked past the location where this building is going to be built yesterday and no demo has begun to the original structure.
so you are saying you got some great pics of the Hilton Canopy yesterday....

Old Posted Dec 18, 2020, 2:24 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaga185 View Post
I've seen nothing or heard anything.

https://imgflip.com/i/4qv85n

Old Posted Jul 12, 2021, 2:09 PM

I searched for updates on this one but came up empty. Anyone with construction contacts know if this one is still a go or has it been shelved? I would think the archdiocese would want to see something develop (whether its this project or something else) given that they were looking to make a cash flow from this piece of property.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2021, 4:28 PM

One of my recent clients who is an architect hired me to take some photos for family and we were walking past the site and he mention the hotel and I asked if it was still on, and this person said yes.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2021, 8:09 PM

Quote:
One of my recent clients who is an architect hired me to take some photos for family and we were walking past the site and he mention the hotel and I asked if it was still on, and this person said yes.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2021, 3:35 AM

Quote:
that's great to hear. Do I wish it was something other than another Hotel...def, but I guess another one can work? How many more hotels can downtown absorb?

Old Posted Jul 14, 2021, 10:44 PM

Yes, good to know it this is not dead.

However, I am unenthusiastic for the shear blank walls it facing back towards St. Mary's Catholic Church. There is no getting around the giant monolithic block that will be casting a shadow down upon the church and its stained glass windows, and I am sure the hotel plan facing the Riverwalk necessitates that side be mostly service, utility, and shaft spaces, but could they really find no other architectural response to frame and compliment the roofline of the church than a generic flat plane in beige?

(Street view from Google Earth)

Worse, the base of the hotel that will directly face the church itself is a 4-story high dead wall of beige concrete. It is not a flush party wall, and there is a utilizable space between the hotel and church, but instead of meeting the windowed and balcony architecture of the church to create a more inviting space, they are planning an unscalable, 4-story high prison wall.

(Street View from Google Earth)

We probably can't save the architecture of the hotel tower without complicated and heavily cost-additive redesigns, but we can do something to lessen the deadening impact. Both San Antonio and the Catholic Church have a cultural tradition of mural and mosaic making, particularly around the city's churches and the Riverwalk, so why not encourage that artistry here between both the church and the Riverwalk?

Used here for concept are the Mater Ecclesiae mosaic from St. Peter's Square, "San Antonio" mosaic by Thomas M. Stell, Jr., and Charles Francis Winans, and a stock image of glass mosaic fish. The Catholic Church has a deep pool of imagery it can draw from to frame its own church roofline and also pair with its stained glass windows in the space between the buildings. After all, the church is going to lose much of the direct southern sunlight on its south wall stained glass mural windows, so let's make up for that loss by expanding those interior glass murals to be explored on the exterior.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2022, 4:40 PM

Quote:
Any chance you could ring up that client again? 'Cause we're now passed the three year marker.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2022, 7:24 PM

best way to find out about the status is for some of the general contractors or subs who peruse these forums to tell us if they have seen any recent plans for bid. They will know before any of us do

Old Posted Oct 10, 2022, 9:21 PM
JACKinBeantown

I understand that this building is/was supposed to be built on the property of a Catholic church, but how serious is that gigantic mural proposal? I mean... Jesus.

(I also mean Jesus' head is cut of at the ear. That's really weird looking.)

Old Posted Oct 10, 2022, 10:26 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinBeantown View Post
I understand that this building is/was supposed to be built on the property of a Catholic church, but how serious is that gigantic mural proposal? I mean... Jesus.

(I also mean Jesus' head is cut of at the ear. That's really weird looking.)
It isn’t. The commenter made those mockups.
SATX: 1435k (+8%) + MSA suburbs: 1124k (+38%) + CSA exurbs: 18k (+11%)
ATX: 962k (+22%) + MSA suburbs: 1322k (+43%)

Old Posted Oct 10, 2022, 11:57 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post
It isn’t. The commenter made those mockups.
My apologies. I prefer buildings without murals. The building should be the art, not the frame.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2022, 2:37 PM

so I heard this project is back on (under a new name) and may be growing by a few stories. maybe somebody else can confirm?

Old Posted Feb 3, 2023, 8:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado View Post
so I heard this project is back on (under a new name) and may be growing by a few stories. maybe somebody else can confirm?
The HDRC has this project on their 2/15 agenda. They are adding 3 floors and 45 rooms.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2023, 3:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosshaa5 View Post
The HDRC has this project on their 2/15 agenda. They are adding 3 floors and 45 rooms.

That's great news!
I went ahead and pasted the quote from the HDRC request below- I wonder when they say "all other aspects of the project remain unchanged" that means the original design is still in place its just taller?

"Today we are all, but past COVID and San Antonio is rebounding strongly in what is a difficult finance/economic environment. However, our current
challenges in moving this project forward have been the dramatic increase in construction costs and interest rates. In order to address these
economic challenges, We have had to remodel the Hotel Economic Performa to include the addition of 45 hotel rooms resulting in adding three
stories to the project. All other aspects of the project remain unchanged.
I am therefore requesting approval to modify the previously approved 14 story, 147 room hotel project to a 192 room 17 story hotel project."

Old Posted Feb 10, 2023, 1:31 PM

Here’sa biz journal article. Can’t access but maybe someone who can, can check for any new nuggets.

https://www.bizjournals.com/sananton...sul-fiume.html

Old Posted Feb 10, 2023, 1:34 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado View Post
Here’sa biz journal article. Can’t access but maybe someone who can, can check for any new nuggets.

https://www.bizjournals.com/sananton...sul-fiume.html
"A proposal for a new hotel downtown that's been in the works since 2019 is returning to the Historic Design and Review Commission for final approval on January 15. But this time, the plan calls for a 17-story building, up from 14 stories when it was first proposed.

The Hotel Sul Fiume — from local developer Tony Byron — would be built at 202 North St. Mary's, adjacent to the St. Mary's Catholic Church and in the place of the three-story rectory and gift shop that sits next to it. It would seek to add 192 rooms to downtown's hotel stock, which is seeing more boutique projects to meet the city's recovering tourism industry.

In the approval application, Byron said that while the city is recovering well from the worst of the pandemic and subsequent economic constraints, increased costs in development and construction necessitate the need for more rooms.

"In order to address these economic challenges, we have had to remodel the hotel economic performa to include the addition of 45 hotel rooms resulting in adding three stories to the project," he wrote. "All other aspects of the project remain unchanged. I am therefore requesting approval to modify the previously approved 14-story, 147-room hotel project to a 192-room, 17-story hotel project."

When the first iteration of the project received HDRC final approval, the Office of Historic Preservation staff recommended three stipulations that Byron said was incorporated in the subsequent design: that the project meet river-level stipulations related to terracing and facade elements, that any curb cut on North St. Mary's St. be no wider than 25 feet and that stone with a rough finish is incorporated at the river level.

The church would lease the site to the hotel. Archbishop Gustavo Garcia-Siller said in 2020 that the Archdiocese would benefit the church with a steady income stream.

"The parish population of St. Mary's is much smaller today as well as the economic support, and therefore the expense of managing a downtown church is challenging," he wrote to the commission.

San Francisco-based firm Hornberger + Worstell is the architect on the project.

Byron and the Archdiocese did not respond to requests for comment by publication time."

(And there's a mediocre rendering of the Riverwalk level, but not the whole building. I can't link it, but it's nothing exciting.)

Old Posted Feb 10, 2023, 1:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinBeantown View Post
"A proposal for a new hotel downtown that's been in the works since 2019 is returning to the Historic Design and Review Commission for final approval on January 15. But this time, the plan calls for a 17-story building, up from 14 stories when it was first proposed.

The Hotel Sul Fiume — from local developer Tony Byron — would be built at 202 North St. Mary's, adjacent to the St. Mary's Catholic Church and in the place of the three-story rectory and gift shop that sits next to it. It would seek to add 192 rooms to downtown's hotel stock, which is seeing more boutique projects to meet the city's recovering tourism industry.

In the approval application, Byron said that while the city is recovering well from the worst of the pandemic and subsequent economic constraints, increased costs in development and construction necessitate the need for more rooms.

"In order to address these economic challenges, we have had to remodel the hotel economic performa to include the addition of 45 hotel rooms resulting in adding three stories to the project," he wrote. "All other aspects of the project remain unchanged. I am therefore requesting approval to modify the previously approved 14-story, 147-room hotel project to a 192-room, 17-story hotel project."

When the first iteration of the project received HDRC final approval, the Office of Historic Preservation staff recommended three stipulations that Byron said was incorporated in the subsequent design: that the project meet river-level stipulations related to terracing and facade elements, that any curb cut on North St. Mary's St. be no wider than 25 feet and that stone with a rough finish is incorporated at the river level.

The church would lease the site to the hotel. Archbishop Gustavo Garcia-Siller said in 2020 that the Archdiocese would benefit the church with a steady income stream.

"The parish population of St. Mary's is much smaller today as well as the economic support, and therefore the expense of managing a downtown church is challenging," he wrote to the commission.

San Francisco-based firm Hornberger + Worstell is the architect on the project.

Byron and the Archdiocese did not respond to requests for comment by publication time."

(And there's a mediocre rendering of the Riverwalk level, but not the whole building. I can't link it, but it's nothing exciting.)

A Saint at work, thank you. Yeah, I went to the HDRC site to see if any file had been uploaded but nada at the moment.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2023, 3:52 PM

Here is the HDRC document for the revised project, the three additional floors would make this roughly 204' to the parapet. This has a little less height than I expected but it is an improvement nonetheless when looking at them side by side. Also, this appears to be about identical to the original design (besides the height increase/ street level changes of course)

https://sanantonio.primegov.com/Port...=194148&type=2

Last edited by CWalk99; Feb 11, 2023 at 4:05 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio