HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Huntington Tower in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Detroit Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Feb 6, 2020, 8:27 PM

Demolition of the annex building is complete, and foundation work appears to have started.
http://www.earthcam.net/projects/ili...ittlecaesar_tl

Old Posted Feb 7, 2020, 4:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitSportsFan View Post
Demolition of the annex building is complete, and foundation work appears to have started.
http://www.earthcam.net/projects/ili...ittlecaesar_tl
I was about to post the same. Yep it appears to be under construction

Old Posted May 13, 2020, 7:51 AM

So is this now under construction? Does anyone have any pictures or is there a webcam set up to watch the progress somewhere

Old Posted May 15, 2020, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blocky858 View Post
So is this now under construction? Does anyone have any pictures or is there a webcam set up to watch the progress somewhere
Olympia has a webcam that shows the construction at the far left. Construction has resumed now that some lockdown restrictions have been lifted.

https://www.earthcam.net/projects/il...ittlecaesar_tl

Old Posted May 15, 2020, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EGrant View Post
Olympia has a webcam that shows the construction at the far left. Construction has resumed now that some lockdown restrictions have been lifted.

https://www.earthcam.net/projects/il...ittlecaesar_tl
I was talking about that in the Little Caesars HQ thread a little bit, the last update was on April 27th and there has been no construction equipment or anything, when I went by it earlier this year it seemed actively in use, but I could be wrong.

I suspect that the April 27th date will be the last we see from that webcam. I could be wrong but it looks like they are drilling caissons? And I can't really tell that well, but it looks like in this video there is at least one hole drilled:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flc29bsxJq8

so does this mean that this project is now U/C and can be moved off proposals?

[EDIT] I don't really know much about construction so forgive me if I'm coming off like I don't know anything... because I don't!

Old Posted May 15, 2020, 2:23 PM

It's been under construction well before the quarantine but no mod has bothered to move the thread.

Old Posted May 15, 2020, 4:56 PM

It's hard to tell from the webcam if there's any actual foundation work going on or if this is all still site prep. . . we'll certainly move it to the appropriate sub-forum if we can get confirmation on that. . .

. . .

Old Posted May 15, 2020, 5:03 PM

After further review from the video posted it does appear that caissons are being dug at the site with what appears to be rebar cages being prepped. . . Emporis has this listed as U/C as well. . . CTBUH, however, still has this listed as proposed but the name is still listed as Chemical Bank. . . will confer with them to update. . .

. . .

Old Posted Jun 16, 2020, 8:44 AM

I went by the site a couple days ago, I only got a brief look at it, but it seemed that most if not all the foundation and caissons were completed.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2020, 3:27 AM

It should be noted that the formal name of this building is TCF Tower.

And yes, caisson work is underway. I looked into the site a few hours ago. I also noticed that new fire escapes were being added onto the back of Grand Park Centre where it formerly connected to the Michigan Mutual Liability Annex.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2020, 11:44 PM

June 18th

Old Posted Jun 21, 2020, 11:52 PM

Renderings from Neumann Smith's website.

Quote:
Neumann/Smith Architecture was tasked with the design and documentation of this new Class A headquarters building for TCF Bank in Downtown Detroit. At 311 feet and 21 stories in height, the building is located on Woodward Avenue in the heart of the Entertainment District.

The Tower’s design enhances the existing downtown skyline, announcing the headquarters for TCF with dynamic architecture that offers unparalleled views of surrounding destinations and the downtown core. Using glass in different ways was intentional and meant to create “movement,” drawing the eye to the top of the Tower, and to “blend” the levels of parking and office floors.

The Tower will include ground-level commercial space, ten stories of parking, workplace environments across nine stories, and a rooftop terrace. TCF will occupy the top floors, while the remainder will be available for expansion, or to other tenants.

Features include a lobby that incorporates stone and wood for a clean and contemporary look, collaboration “zones” lined along the Woodward front, a dedicated reception floor for TCF where all guests are received with office and public conferencing space (on level 19) that opens to an indoor/outdoor terrace, and a two-story monumental corner stair that offers stunning views of the city and iconic Woodward Avenue.

The Neumann/Smith design team worked closely with City of Detroit officials from the Planning and Development Department to maximize the project’s compact ½ acre site potential, which in addition to office and ground level commercial uses provides structured parking for 320 cars. With the site residing within the Grand Circus Park Historic District, Neumann/Smith worked closely with the City of Detroit Historic District Commission to gain necessary approvals to create a design for the new TCF Tower that complements the surrounding historic architecture.

Construction began fall 2019. TCF’s new headquarters will create 200 new jobs and bring another 300 workers to downtown Detroit.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2020, 4:11 AM

I would imagine that rooftop would have nice views of Comerica Park. Kind of ironic that TCF will be looking out over Comerica Park.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2020, 7:20 PM

The other forum mentions the tower crane is going up.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2020, 12:38 AM

Here's another video from the site: It looks like it is already going vertical

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEbExZG-ZKA

Old Posted Aug 15, 2020, 2:51 PM

Crane is up, just needs the jib.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2020, 1:40 PM

Old Posted Oct 31, 2020, 10:25 PM

Some pictures of progress from 10/24, courtesy of ShadowSoarer over at the Detroit city compilation thread. Looks like construction is coming along nicely!

Old Posted Dec 14, 2020, 8:36 AM

Well, this building is getting yet another name before opening:

Huntington and TCF Financial to merge in $22 billion deal

Quote:
Two big bank holding companies with huge name recognition in Michigan — Columbus, Ohio-based Huntington Bancshares and Detroit-based TCF Financial Corp. — are announcing plans for an all-stock merger valued at $22 billion.

The deal is expected to close in the second quarter, according to a press briefing given Sunday night with the Detroit Free Press.

The Huntington brand will survive, while the TCF name will disappear. The merger means that another purely Michigan-based bank will lose its identity. Many major banks in Michigan — Chase, Comerica, PNC, Bank of America and Fifth Third — are all headquartered in other states. Flagstar Bank is based in Troy, and Ally Financial, a bank holding company, is based in Detroit.
Specifically concerning this building:

Quote:
“Detroit will be a co-headquarters with Columbus,” said Huntington's top executive Stephen D. Steinour.

"It must be a win for Michigan and Ohio," he said Sunday night. He said the deal came together quickly after talks began at the end of October.

"This had to be a win-win or it wasn't worth doing. This is not sort of a wink and nod. This is a significant commitment to Detroit and Michigan."

Steinour noted that every other board meeting will be in Detroit and he will have an office in Detroit, as well as Columbus.

At least 800 employees of the combined company, nearly three times the number TCF had planned, will be housed in a new landmark office tower that will open in the future in downtown Detroit.
Another article I read stated up to 1100 employees could eventually be located downtown. I'd imagine this means that Huntington's regional headquarters, which I believe is in Troy, will be relocating downtown as well.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2020, 2:38 PM
somewhere in-between

Wow that's a big deal. Does this mean that TCF Center (formerly Cobo Center) will become Huntington Center (formerly TCF Center ((formerly formerly Cobo Center))? I hope so. Maybe the Buckeyes will merge with the Wolverines next, and create another truly equal partnership

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive