HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jan 6, 2023, 11:57 PM

WSTB has confirmed the new Marriott tower in the IQ is still a go.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2023, 5:09 AM
Fourth and Main

The Depot Hotel & Residences:
Front Street Capital has started the process to acquire the site for this proposed 16-storey luxury hotel and residences development, in downtown's IQ District (downtown innovation district). It will be a 90-key luxury Marriott Autograph Collection Hotel, with meeting space, called The Depot. It is expected to open in March or April 2025, though I think early 2026 is more likely. It seems to have everything in place, from a hotel flag to a hotel operator to a finished design. It should start permitting and construction shortly after the site is acquired.

Yes, we finally have a rendering of the latest design:

Credit: Marriott Hotels & Resorts

It's across Fourth Street from Bailey Park and will have underground parking (below the building). The developers want this to be a five-star hotel, to serve the city's growing life sciences (Winston-Salem is the world's leading center for Regenerative Medicine) in downtown. It's expected to have a nice restaurant and bar. Notice the people watching area (facing the park) on the steps, colonnade with a view of the park, multiple outdoor spaces and a green roof.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2023, 2:10 PM

It's been forever since I've posted.

This Depot proposal, the Kaleideum area and what I've seen of the new Peter Oliver Park has me really excited about the future of downtown. These proposals are elevated!

Also, what's happening around Hawthorne Hill and this new Skyline Village/Dreamland park plan...

Thank you for the updates!

Old Posted Feb 1, 2023, 5:17 AM
Fourth and Main

Projects & Construction:
I want to thank the photographers and local businesses, sharing updates on projects, who make this thread possible. Without you, these updates won't happen. Please help by sharing photography updates that can be used on this thread. I don't make any money doing this and it's here to allow fans of this city to see what is happening.

Did you know: Winston-Salem has the largest technical medical park in the southeast, according to Business N.C.,.

An 80s Canadian artist for this week's SSP update:
Video Link

A noteworthy person involved in what is happening downtown asked me to bring this update back. It has become very difficult and time consuming to find construction photographs, but I was able to locate enough to create a big update. Thank you to all of the photographers. The ability to continue construction updates on this thread centers on finding photographs. For those who haven't noticed, I reside in another state.

The Byrum Apartments:
This is a new ground-up construction 5-storey downtown apartment building (on Liberty Street, near Eighth Street), from developer DPJ Residential. It will have 286 residential units, residents' clubhouse, fitness center, saltwater pool, and dog park. The size is 449,009 square-feet and the cost is $65 million.

1010 Northwest Apartments:
A Philadelphia developer (Ampere Capital Group) has acquired a site next to West End Millworks for a car-free market-rate apartment development. This is an adaptive-reuse project and will reuse the existing 1950s office building. The developer notes the many restaurants, offices, entertainment options, and a bus stop surrounding their building.

WSJS-AM/FM Residential Redevelopment:
This is a plan to demolish an old radio broadcast tower site for 348 multi-family units, by a Syracuse, NY developer. The old towers for Sports Talk 101.5 / 600 may have been destroyed by vandals, but the developer had plans to demolish them and the building at the site for this project. The rendering from Planworx Collaborative architects for this project is actually a rendering for another project by the same developer (Widewaters Group) in neighboring Charlotte, so I'm guessing they are building the exact same thing on this site in Winston-Salem (chain branded multi-family developments)? At least it's better than what is there now and should add more density.

Woolworth Museum & Events Center:
The former Woolworth's Building will have its original lunch counter restored as a museum. It was the site of the first Sit-in victory. The remaining space will become an events center that can host around 500 people.

Siemens Energy Expansion:
Siemens Energy is expanding their Winston-Salem operations. I don't know if we can actually follow this project on the forum or not (likely won't be any construction photographs), but I'll report it here.

DTE Renewable Energy Power Plant:
Detroit-based DTE Renewable Energy is planning a renewable energy power plant project in Winston-Salem. This power plant project will sell renewable energy to other power companies.

Tannery Mill Apartments:
This is a proposed apartment development with 180 units, designed by Tate Architecture, with landscape design by MLA Design Group.

Credit: Tate Architecture

Merschel Park:
The wind sculptures (whirligigs) are the work of renowned Utah-based sculptor Lyman Whitaker. According to the artist, the work is called "Balancing Act" and yes, they will be lit at night. They use the power of the wind and interaction with light to create mesmerizing visual displays. Lyman Whitaker's work is seen in public and private art collections around the world. Interestingly, in the United States, he hasn't created many of these sculptures east of the Mississippi River. Most of his work is located in the western states. This was one of the reasons his work was selected, so the park would have the work of an artist you don't see much of in the eastern U.S.,. Completion of the park is set for this month, but you can enjoy the wind sculptures right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native Camel @ WSTB Forum

Credit: Fam Brownlee

Video Link

Video Link

Credit: winstonwatchman

At night:

Credit: Bryan Lewis

Kaleideum Science Museum:

Credit: blumconstruction

Space below the rooftop stairs, where the planetarium will be constructed:

Credit: downtownwinstonsalem

Liberty Plaza Renovation:
We now know what the area, where the 14-storey Liberty Plaza building entrance meets Liberty Park Sensory Garden, will look like. They will create a nice outdoor dining area to blend the two together. There are also plans to clean Liberty Plaza and paint the area around the windows, to modernize it. I've seen this (painting around the windows of buildings like this one) done in other cities and it does look nice. I'm thinking of a San Francisco building and a Houston building renovated like this.

Credit: ArchSTUDIO7

Bailey Power Plant Tenants:
Sushi Rose, a Japanese-Peruvian restaurant, has signed a lease for a space across the street from Bailey Power Plant in downtown's IQ District. It should open in June 2023. Their menu includes Wagyu beef that can be torched and seared over hot rocks and brought to the tables, as well as sushi, other seafood items and a variety of beef, vegan, and vegetarian options for lunch and dinner. The owners are also opening locations in Tampa and New York City. They have very late hours, which should be good for Fifth Street vibrancy.

Tokyo-based life science company, PHC Group, is creating a new regenerative medicine clinical trails program in downtown Winston-Salem's Bailey Power Plant. It's called Clinical Trails Catalyst.

Epredia, a precision cancer diagnostics company, and Aiforia, a medical software company using artificial intelligence for image analysis in pathology, are the newest tenants in downtown Winston-Salem's Bailey Power Plant. Did you know: Epredia’s products are used by pathologists and researchers 44 times every second. “As a global leader in anatomical pathology, Epredia is committed to providing precision health care tools and information. Expanding our presence in the ecosystem of the Regenerative Medicine Hub just makes sense. We are excited to grow our partnership to more directly engage with leading scientists and innovators, to potentially speed up clinical translation endeavors and have a greater impact on health," said Epredia's president, Steven Lynum.

The Barcelona Burger Bar will open, soon!

Credit: thebarcelonaburgerbar

Dram & Draught will open this month in Bailey Power Plant:

Credit: thegotowinstonsalem

Dram & Draught opening this month:

4th and Green Apartments & Retail:
This project now has a shoring permit. Workers are at the site and work has started!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceHombre @ WSTB Forum

IBM Building and WTOB Radio at the corner of 4th and Green streets around 73 years ago...

Credit: Winston-Salem / Forsyth County Public Library

Forsyth County Courthouse:

Credit: Forsyth County

Still working on the glazing:

Credit: ulZNa5-bIh8

500 West 5th:
Northwestern Mutual has leased the sixth floor of this building.

The Downtown Grille has now opened and it also includes outdoor dining space along Fifth Street:

This building was constructed as a single-tenant corporate headquarters tower for a life insurance company and never had a retail/restaurant space until now. It's great to see these buildings finally adding ground-floor retail spaces! It's bringing vibrancy to these blocks.

The Workhouse Fitness: Built!
I usually don't post these smaller projects, but I thought this gym was interesting enough share. It was built by someone from the United Kingdom who moved to Winston-Salem a few years ago.

Credit: theworkhouse fitness

Please don't paint the brick... and the white, black, and grey fad...

East of Texas:
An update on this multi-tenant retail/restaurant/craft beer brewery/hotel/gym/outdoor amphitheatre/entertainment project. The developer moved to Winston-Salem from Austin, so that explains the name. I'm not sure if this is the name for the entire development or just the restaurant? As long as you know the project I'm talking about.

East of Texas restaurant:

Credit: eastoftexasws

The house from 1782 is in the background:

Credit: eastoftexasws

I think this gym is now completed?

Credit: synergywsnc

L'Avenue Boutique will open next month:

Credit: lavenuebtq

This city's terrain is rough, but beautiful... (notice 1782 house in background)

1001:
This project's restart was moved back to Spring 2024. No completion date was provided.

Mayfair Apartments at Liberty:
As of January 9, 2023, they have a general contractor and have applied for permits. This is an 8-storey apartments, retail, and hotel project. It has no parking.

The side that faces the park is more attractive than this side:

Credit: Mayfair Street Partners

The Depot Hotel & Residences:
A local newspaper is reporting Dallas-based Coury Hospitality is a co-developer on this project. The award-winning developer will also lead the design and manage the hotel, meeting space, bar, and restaurant part of this 16-storey mixed-use development.

Brookhyrst Apartments:

Tenants are moving out of the buildings at the site and demolition work has started for this new 6-storey apartment building:
Quote:

This part of downtown (Ballpark / Village District) is becoming one massive collection of apartments. Two new apartment buildings have started construction (both seen in this post) and another site, ready for apartments, was listed for sale last month.

Robert Hall Hotel and Conference Center:

A TV show filmed an episode at the conference center:
Video Link

Artreaux Apartments:
Workers have poured the curbing to restore 10th Street. It's great to see so many developers wanting to help restore the city's grid.

The Apartments and Coworking Space, with the 10th Street Restoration:
Quote:

The Townhouses:
Quote:
A look inside:

Credit: Harold K Jordan & Co., Inc.

The Lobby and the view of The Ramkat Live Music Venue and Gas Hill Drinking Room, through the windows:

Credit: Harold K Jordan & Co., Inc.

Truliant Headquarters Expansion:
As work nears completion, this financial institution is installing beehives on the roof and is working with their landscape architect to create a bee-friendly landscaping design.

A look at the solar panels on the roof:

Credit: aiawinstonsalem

Credit: davieconstruction

A look inside!

Hanes Park Sports Facilities:
Permitting has started for the football stadium.

8 W 3 Apartments & Retail:
An update on PMC Property Group's restoration and adaptive-reuse of the state's oldest steel frame office building to apartments and retail.

Credit: pC9KblzqxQs

Buck Hoist (construction elevator):

Credit: Joseph

Credit: winston_360

1007 South Marshall:
Construction will now start on this project around May 2023. Financing delayed the project by about two months. It was scheduled to start construction in March. I'm guessing completion is now scheduled for Fall 2023?

Commercial Finance Building:
This project now has a preservation easement. D.H. Griffin was hired for remediation, as work starts on this project. It will become two floors of office space and the outdoor space will become a beer garden, dog park, and outdoor theatre for live music and other performances. The beer garden should open in mid-March. A neighboring building will have a variation of the U.K.'s Puttshack, which should be interesting. This is a developer who worked for years in Europe. Their headquarters will move into the office space.

The building is "L-shaped" and larger than what you see here:

Credit: koernerdeborah

1001:

Eleventh Street Townhouses & Apartments:
This project is now under construction. Construction started 12-6-2022.

Quote:

Credit: nSa5VISLyGM

The Legacy Apartments:

Quote:

Novant Health Critical Care Center:

Grant Park Expansion Phase II:

Credit: barconstruction1976

Sentinel Commons:

It appears to be completed on the outside?

A new office was recently finished:

Credit: lambert_architecture

Link Apartments 4th Street: Built!
This project appears to be completed? I haven't seen anything officially saying it's completed, but it looks completed to me.

Credit: servpro.wsnorth

The coldest time of the day, during the coldest month of the year... who is ready for the pool!

The view from the top floor amenity area is nice:

Credit: link4thstreet

Lofts @ Whitaker Park:
This project is only 60% completed. However, near the middle of construction, it was sold to a new developer. Virginia-based residential developer Frye Properties acquired this adaptive-reuse project. It will be their first in the Triad area and Winston-Salem is a very attractive market for them. Winston-Salem is so attractive to them, they also acquired additional land next to this project, to build new buildings.

Credit: walter PARKS Architects

Whitaker Park Hotel & Mixed-use:
Frye Properties has also acquired this site and will become the developer for the mixed-use retail, residential, and hotel development. They still plan to build an apartment building and hotel, but the design may change. That is good news, since I didn't like what the previous developer showed (in renderings) for the retail.

Second Street Park & Cycling Cut-through: Built

This bicycle commuter shortcut path and new City park are completed:

Credit: L34aNVj-fb8

Credit: livetheeasley

A larger view from a different apartment:

Credit: livetheeasley

Quote:
Metropolitan Mixed-use:

Credit: Dwell Architects

Quote:

Nucor Steel Mill:
They are currently extending a 6 inch diameter gas pipeline to this project. The extension is 3.8 miles / 6.1 kilometres in length and will cost $2.7 million. Did you know: Nucor manufactures a quarter of all the raw steel made in the United States.

Whitaker Park Mixed-use Project:

This building, in the large mixed-use project, is completed:

Credit: landmarkbuildersinc

Chatham Building Apartments & Retail:
This project now has a preservation easement. GBX Group and Mast General Store are working on this project.

492 West End Blvd:

Not much of an update...

Credit: theremedyws

Vade Mecum Springs Resort Restoration:
Hanging Rock State Park received $2.9 million for roads, enhancing utility services for electric vehicle chargers, and to restore the 120 year old Vade Mecum Springs Hotel. This hotel is noteworthy, since it is the last Victorian spring mountain resort in metro Winston-Salem and among the last in the state. It is expected to become a mountain vacation resort again, with a restaurant and space for weddings. It's good to see the State finally funding this hotel restoration and moving the project forward! We have waited a long time for the State to fund this project! Hanging Rock State Park also received $350,000 to purchase four additional acres of land.

An ad from 1914:

Credit: Unknown?

The resort had three hotel buildings by 1920. I think construction may have started on the resort in 1875? Only one hotel and a few other resort buildings remain today.

East Tower:

Installing the tower crane:

Alternative Transportation:

Rail Streetcar System:
This project is in the City's Federal Action Plan for 2023.

Salem Parkway Bike & Pedestrian Path (Eastern Half):
For the section from Fourth Street to the land bridge at Oliver Park, the City has hired HDR as a consultant. The environmental review is completed and the City is currently acquiring easements for construction. We should have a new cost estimate, soon. The bid document is 100+ pages and the project will be out to bid in Spring 2023. It's still a few more months before this starts. Acquiring the construction easements is the big delay. Interestingly, the wayfinding appears to be a separate project consultants are preparing to start work on. This (wayfinding) project is currently seeking funding.

Salem Parkway Bike & Pedestrian Path (Western Half):
This is Fourth Street to Lockland Ave. I wouldn't look for anything to start here for another year. It is a very difficult section to complete and the City has hired a different consultant.

Brushy Fork Greenway:
This is the greenway near Union Station. The design is almost completed. The major issue is trying to get an agreement with Norfolk Southern for a rail crossing. The railroads are very difficult to work with and they like to say no to everything.

Salem Creek Greenway Extension:
This is the greenway that will connect Washington Park to Forsyth Tech. They have four alternatives to consider, each with their own very different issues. When completed, this will connect downtown with another college for cyclists and pedestrians.

SPIN Electric Bicycles:
SPIN has added dockless eBikes to their offerings this year. Their eBikes are already available in downtown Winston-Salem, if you have their app and want to try them.

Credit: downtownwinstonsalem

Oliver Cycling Park:

We finally have renderings of this downtown park project!

Credit: Creative Corridors

You can see the new museum and where the two major bicycle commuting paths intersect, with a bicycle fly-over ramp, in this park:

Rails-to-Trails Bicycle Commuter Highway Expansion:
The City is working on agreements with all three partners involved in this project. Federal funding is expected to add several long steps that could add another 6-12 months to the project.

Off-Subject:

Story behind the Wrong Number Bar:
Video Link

Home Price Increases:
This is according to CoreLogic. Home prices are continuing to increase in Winston-Salem. Winston-Salem leads the state in home prices increases.

Winston-Salem: 12.9% increase
Charlotte: 12.9% increase
Durham: 10.8% increase
Raleigh: 10.6% increase

James Beard Awards:
Stephanie Tyson of Sweet Potatoes (on Trade Street in downtown's Arts District) is a semi-finalist for best chef in the southeast. Heff's (on Fourth Street in downtown's Restaurant Row) is a semi-finalist for Best New Restaurant in America.

Your City

Last edited by Matthew; Dec 15, 2023 at 5:32 AM.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2023, 5:08 PM

Phenomenal! Keep the updates coming.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2023, 3:41 PM
Fourth and Main

Projects & Construction:
I want to thank the photographers and local businesses, sharing updates on projects, who make this thread possible. Without you, these updates won't happen.

This city has the first European Medicinal Garden ever planted in America for the purpose of wellness/prevention and it is the only known, well-documented colonial community garden in the United States, according to Ottawa Life Magazine. Yes, Winston-Salem appeared in another publication as a great place to visit!

Video Link

New Jobs:
A mega aviation-related project, under the code name Project Gemini, is looking at the southern suburbs of Winston-Salem for a $300+ million project that will employ over 500 people. The foreign company is seeking incentives. This will be their North American headquarters and their first North American operations.

1782 George Stockburger House Restoration:
This 241 year old house is finally under restoration. Yes, we will follow the work on this thread! You can see the many years of renovations in the photographs, below. This is a lot of work! I thank the new owners for taking-on this big renovation.

Many of us, including me, have wanted to know what the inside looks like. This is our first look at the interior. It is rough and I think it was vacant for decades!

Removing the asbestos siding:

Credit: stockburgerfarmhouse

Uncovering an old fireplace:

You can tell this part of the house is 241 years old:

Removing old layers of paint:

Original 1782 log walls:

New Venture Capital Firm:
Equilibrium Impact Ventures is a new venture capital firm headquartered in Winston-Salem. They plan to invest in women and minority-owned businesses (MWBE) focused on social issues, ranging from economic mobility to climate resilience.

Two Cities:
This is a project we aren't following on this thread. There are so many construction projects in Winston-Salem that we can't follow everything. Also, I didn't think we would find many photographs of the construction. Since I did find a photograph, I thought I would share it. It is the work of STITCH Design Shop. The space is designed to host a variety of events, including concerts / live music.

Renderings:

Credit: STITCH Design Shop

Southeastern Center for Contemporary Art Renovation:
Starting this Spring or Summer, workers will begin renovating the 1929 Norman Revival building to include a café and retail space. Workers will preserve the hand-carved crown molding, marbled fireplaces, and vintage French wallpaper. The renovation will add new furnishings from mid-century icons to works by emerging contemporary designers and lighting. Anna Impson and EMBER Audio + Design in downtown Winston-Salem are working on the interiors. Philip Pledger, Marketing Director at SECCA, said “We hope to play against the stuffy connotations sometimes associated with historic places and cultivate a vibe unlike anything else in the area; layered and design-forward, cool but comfortable.” Starting this month, look for new events and returning events, such as Fireside, which will have intimate artist talks on a broad range of creative disciplines, set in front of a grand fireplace. House Hangs is a social gathering with diner by a rotation of local chefs and music by local DJs and cocktails on the terrace. Be sure to visit for Night Moods, which explores the interplay of electronic music, technology and digital art. Art Bites is an event that will pair contemporary artists with artisanal chefs for unique dinner experiences. Those events sound like fun!

Mill 800 Apartments:
This phase of the project was originally proposed as office space. It's actually a very bad location for office space. The developer has now changed plans and will convert the last building in the project to apartments, which should do very well. Workers replaced the roof recently and architects have started on the apartment conversion plans.

Credit: Kevin

A look inside:

STITCH Design Shop said "Alex Irvin explained how each level will have different learning experiences to explore. From an In-Motion Exhibit to a Digital Dome on the 2nd Level to the Storytelling area & Wonders of Water on the 3rd level, there will be something at Kaleideum for everyone to enjoy. The skyline views are incredible from the future home of the Rooftop Adventure! While standing on top of the city, visitors will be able to soar on cocoon swings, fly down a zip-line, and play on various one-of-a-kind structures. There is so much to share, so we will post frequent updates throughout 2023!"

Sterling Events Group will rent Kaleideum spaces or the entire building, when it opens in the spring of 2024.

Sunday Morning (2/19):

Credit: Dale Briggs

New York-based Immunaeon is the newest tenant at Bailey Power Plant. They are a life science company involved in regenerative medicine research. Winston-Salem is the world's leading center for regenerative medicine research. Their focus is immunotherapy with immune cell storage. This is a preventative measure to store healthy cells against potential future cancers or other diseases. Immune systems weaken with age or if attacked by cancer, but collection and storage of healthy cells can provide access to healthy cells for personalized cell therapy. Adam Utley, CEO and founder of Immunaeon, said “The promise of immunotherapy is in providing curative strategies for cancer patients. By allowing every person to access the most effective cellular starting material, we can help patients live longer, healthier lives.”

The World Stem Cell Summit will be held in downtown Winston-Salem, June 5-9. The Regenerative Medicine Essentials Course is scheduled for the same weekend, so you can attend both.

Merschel Park:

Lighting Installed (2-16-23):

Credit: Keith Stone

Sunday Morning (2/19):

Handrail and Steps:

Credit: viatordesignandconstruction

Morris Building:
The development team that has constructed nearly $1 billion in life science developments in downtown Winston-Salem has an option to buy this 1920s building from Front Street Capital. The option expires in 15 months.

It's always fun to see a developer buy a building from another developer before their project can even begin. That is a hot life sciences market! Older buildings are also loved by younger generations as interesting places to work and this is an old building at the highly desirable Bailey Power Plant site (last phase of Bailey Power Plant). I'm guessing a regenerative medicine lab will be constructed here, but that is just a guess? The regenerative medicine lab spaces at Bailey Power Plant are filling quickly and they need more multi-tenant lab space.

This is just a rumor, so who knows how accurate it is: Someone from an office tenant in the neighboring building said Alamo Drafthouse Cinema was preparing to lease the building before the pandemic hurt the theatre business and led to the theatre backing-out? What I can confirm from good sources is: The developer was close to starting on a retail/entertainment development as the pandemic was starting and their tenant or tenants backed-out. They have worked hard to keep the tenant or tenants a secret, so we really don't know who it was. No one else has confirmed or denied it was Alamo Drafthouse Cinema. It wouldn't surprise me if the developer is in talks to sell the building to a life science development team.

Window Replacement (with new "historically accurate" windows):

Credit: chrisbadash422bro

The Flats at Peters Creek:
The Flats at Peters Creek is ready to move forward. They have secured necessary financing. Look for amenities such as outdoor space, fitness center, co-working space, and more.

Building on the left:

Credit: City of Winston-Salem

492 West End Blvd: Built!
I guess this apartment building restoration project, with two or three retail spaces, is now completed? Interestingly, this project was renovated by a move and TV actor. Burgess Jenkins, from the movie Remember the Titans, soap opera The Young and the Restless, and the TV shows Army Wives, One Tree Hill, and Nashville, is the developer, building owner, and the owner of The Remedy coffee/wine/beer/food establishment. He is currently filming a series called Blue Ridge and spends most of his time in Los Angeles, but it's possible you could see him at The Remedy. He is moving here and said he loves this Spanish Revival apartment building. The Remedy is modeled on a cafe he visited in Europe. If you're not in the mood for coffee or boozy coffees, there are craft beers, ciders, seltzers, and wine. You can also go there for live music and game nights.

Sadly, I still haven't found any photographs of the upstairs apartments or any of the work on those units. He also didn't talk about that part of the building. Sometimes, we just don't have photographs. We do have several photographs of The Remedy in one of the retail spaces.

The Remedy has opened (Notice the original 1928 Art Deco handrails!):

Credit: George M. Bryan Jr.

Credit: remedyws

Credit: remedyws

It seems to be doing well, even on a week night:

Credit: Clark Harper

Again, I can't find any photographs of the apartments or office space... just this retail space.

Salem Cohousing:
This project appears to be under construction.

Körner’s Folly Visitor Center:
Work has started on the Wolfe Visitors Center. John and Bobbie Wolfe helped save the 1880 structure. The State of North Carolina, Forsyth County, local corporations, foundations, and donors provided funding for this multi-million-dollar project. It will provide tourism information, rotating exhibition space for historical artifacts, a research library, meeting areas, restrooms, a media room, more office space, storage for historic artifacts, and a gift shop. Wilson-Covington is the GC. Completion is set for December 2023 or January 2024.

Robert Hall Hotel and Conference Center: Built!
I think this mixed-use office, hotel, craft brewery, bar, and event space is now completed?

Credit: lindzeegee

Yes, gangster Al Capone actually sat at the Art Deco bar inside (many times) and that is why it's called Capone's:

This is the restored Art Deco bar Al Capone sat at:

Credit: roberthallwsnc

We finally see this sign lit:

Credit: roberthallwsnc

New Downtown Elementary School:

Demolition of the old furniture factories has started:

Ovation Sound:
Due to no updates or photographs found anywhere on this downtown project at 801 North Main Street, the building looking completed from the outside, and no one really knowing anything about this project, I showed it as completed. It appears to still be under construction, though. It's almost finished and it wouldn't surprise me if we don't know about its completion when it is finally completed. This thread is the only place reporting on this project and I usually send people here when they ask what is happening at this space. It is a massive building and the project appears to now be called Ovation Sound. It will have two control rooms, a two storey live room that can host large bands, isolation booths, and the best software and gear. They can record your performance at venues like the Stevens Center or Ramkat from this building. They can also livestream and even make music videos when this new space opens. Look for an after school program to teach kids at a downtown school about jobs behind the scenes in the music industry. The owners will also teach and work with Wake Forest University and UNCSA, with recording classes. The building has two Air BnB hotel rooms so artists recording here can stay here. It also has a lounge, greenroom, and even a home for the owners in the same building. They have recorded commercials, recorded Dr. Maya Angelou for an audio book, and even movie stars such as George Clooney and Anna Kendrick have read lines for movies or recorded with them. They do some of everything. An interesting fun-fact: They removed pavement next to their building to reveal Belgium Block pavers from an old (now closed) Victorian street. Their major issue currently is trying to connect the building to the City Sewer system. All of the pipes running to the building are over a century old and not up-to-code. They also have some electrical work to complete before opening. If you are involved in this project, please share photographs and let us know when it's completed.

An update from the WSTB Forum (2/18):
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoedigerHouse @ WSTB Forum
EGGER North American Headquarters:
Egger is preparing for a $22 million expansion and they will also hire more people with this expansion.

Chronicle Building:

Chad's Chai opened in one of the retail spaces:

Credit: chadschai

Chad's Chai also includes an event space and will soon have tea-infused wines and classes on tea.

Credit: nickatnight7

Credit: nickatnight7

Wow, this place is packed!

The menu will expand in the near future:

Credit: munchies.with.mitch

There's a tea guide:

Credit: munchies.with.mitch

A week or two after they opened... and still busy!
Video Link

Winston Towne South Condominiums: Cancelled
Now this project is officially cancelled. The developer is selling the site. However, the developer will also sell the plans for the building, if you're interested. I don't think the design is really that great and would prefer for the next developer to hire a different architect.

515 North Cherry Street:

An update on the conversion of this building to office space:

Credit: GSV

Novant Health Critical Care Center:

Credit: wVzgI46vhHY

Shaffner House Hotel: Built!
This project is now completed.

Whitaker Park Mixed-use Project:

It appears as if work is starting on another project at Whitaker Park?

Credit: haycoconstruction

Stevens Center Renovation:
The State will be asked to approve another $51 million for this project, for a total of $83.3 million in State funding.

Ziehl-Abegg North American Headquarters:
Ground has broken and this 522,897 square-foot building is now under construction. This will become their North American Headquarters and at over $100 million, it is their largest operations center, with office space, engineering, design, and advanced manufacturing space.

Credit: frontstreetcapital

These are going-up fast!

Credit: Fox 8

Truist Stadium Upgrades:
712 Vodka has signed a lease to create a new-construction bar, using recycled cargo containers, in the Ballpark/West End Village part of downtown Winston-Salem, as part of this project. It will be called The 712 Vodka Speak Easy.

Kernersville Medical Center Expansion:

250 West First Street:
Adam Spear is now leasing the office space. It will remain an office building after renovations.

Credit: focalvibes

Artreaux Apartments:
General Contractor Harold K. Jordan said, “Right now, we are in the finishing stages of that project. We are framed up, the roof is on, exterior facade almost completed and the subcontractors are currently finishing in the interior units. We are very close to substantial completion leading to a final CO.” The developer said the first units will be completed next month.

Credit: Harold K. Jordan

The Pool:

The Inside:

New Hangars:

A rare construction update on this project:

Credit: GSV

Oliver Cycling Park:

Credit: visitwinstonsalem

Another view of this project, with the bicycle flyover ramp on the bottom right:

Do I see an observation platform?

Off-Subject:

Population Growth:
Charlotte: .6
Winston-Salem: .4
Raleigh: .3
Greensboro: .1

And that leads to...

Rent Increases for 2022:
Charlotte: 6%
Winston-Salem: 5.4%
Raleigh: 5.2%
National Average: 4%

Largest N.C. Cities by NIH Funding:
The "big five" North Carolina cities by National Institutes of Health funding in 2022:
(10th) Durham: $791.3 million
(59th) Winston-Salem: $142.3 million
(109th) Raleigh: $45.2 million
(184th) Charlotte: $13.9 million
(189th) Greensboro: $12.8 million

Your City

Last edited by Matthew; Dec 15, 2023 at 5:33 AM.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2023, 1:49 PM
Fourth and Main

Projects & Construction:
I want to thank the photographers and local businesses, sharing updates on projects, who make this thread possible. Without you, these updates won't happen. Please share construction photographs, if you have any. It is true: Your generosity through sharing construction photographs is what keeps this thread going. I don't make any money from this. I donate my time to assemble it.

Exciting news in today's update: Siemens Mobility is building a large passenger rail facility here!

Video Link

Reynolds Auditorium Renovation:
Work is expected to start in Summer 2023 on renovations to the stage floor, house lights, and carpet at the 100 year old performing arts center.

Brouwerij DuBois:
Do you like craft beer? We all do! Brouwerij DuBois will build a new taproom and craft beer brewery as part of an adaptive-reuse project on Country Club Road.

A New Fortune 500 Headquarters?:
British American is under increasing pressure to move their headquarters from London to downtown Winston-Salem. Most of their revenue is from their Winston-Salem office. Brexit is also adding pressure for British American to move to downtown Winston-Salem. Their revenue is $35 billion and their market cap is $80.47 billion, so this would be another Fortune 500 headquarters for Winston-Salem and it would rank among the largest headquarters in the Carolinas, if they move from London to downtown Winston-Salem. Their office building on Fifth Street does have space for the move.

Winston Towne South Condominiums:
Hank Perkins has purchased the former Gateway Condominiums site. No word on what his plans are?

Amphitheatre and Other IQ Expansions:
There was some talk that an amphitheatre and Forsyth Tech satellite college campus could locate in downtown's IQ District. Forsyth Tech already has space in downtown's IQ District. I guess this would be a significant expansion?

Siemens Mobility Eastern U.S. Passenger Rail Facility:
German rail company, Siemens Mobility, will construct a $220 million facility that will employ 506 people and make 264 new passenger rail cars a year when it opens next year. A second phase, to be completed by 2028, will bring the total construction cost to nearly $350 million and the facility could have over 1,000 jobs as it expands. The company has outgrown the capacity of their 65-acre passenger-rail facility in Sacramento, California. Their west coast suppliers are also likely to open east coast locations for this facility, so expect more job growth from this announcement. This 202-acre facility will become their base for manufacturing and maintenance east of the Mississippi River. In addition to building new rolling stock, Siemens will also construct a first of its kind overhauling operation for locomotives and passenger coaches at this site. This facility is expected to push the boundaries of innovation and will incorporate some of the latest technologies from their Sacramento facility, including robotic welding, 3D printing, and a Virtual Reality welder.” Siemens said “When fully operational, it will be carbon-neutral, playing an important role in our sustainability commitments.” This facility will also make rail vehicles that can run on hydrogen or battery power. Siemens is the largest passenger rolling stock manufacturer in the U.S.,. The new facility will focus on building new passenger rail coaches for intercity and regional rail services as well as overhauling locomotives and passenger coaches, a first for Siemens. This facility will also have room for expansion. Their 65-acre west coast facility employs 2,500. This 202-acre passenger rail facility will “fulfill the growing demand for passenger rail in America by producing some of the most innovative and sustainable passenger trains in the North American market.” It will build rail technology to help transform everyday life for millions of passengers around the country, as the country sees a resurgence in public transit and intercity travel. Siemens Mobility also builds light-rail and streetcars in the United States and Canada. Siemens won a contract to build 73 trains for Amtrak. It is their largest ever North American contract. In June, Amtrak also ordered 50 more locomotives in addition to 75 ordered in 2018. This project is estimated to boost Winston-Salem's Gross Metropolitan Product (GMP) by $1.6 billion and produce $30.3 million in State tax revenue.

Wow! Their clients include Amtrak, Canada's VIA Rail, and over 40 mass-transit systems in the U.S., and Canada. They will manufacture and service those passenger cars and locomotives here, at what is expected to be their largest North American facility!

Hanes Lake Boat House:

Credit: designwithfriend

Granville Park Improvements:
The City of Winston-Salem approved money to renovate Granville Park. Ramey Inc., will be the General Contractor. Workers will repair historic arched stone bridges, install new lighting, remove some of the park's trees, reconstruct the tennis courts (to be done by another GC), improve handicapped accessibility, repair paths in the park, and work on storm drainage issues.

Completion is set for 2024.

Kaleideum will close their old Kaleideum Downtown location on April 23, 2023 and close their Kaleideum North location on December 31, 2023, as they prepare to open this new downtown building in Fall 2023. A grand opening celebration is scheduled for early-2024. A pediatric rehabilitation facility will open in the old Kaleideum Downtown location in July 2023, with over 100 medical staff. No word on what will happen to the Kaleideum North location?

Credit: Northedge Walls

Credit: geminivisualphotography

Starting on the drywall (Thursday 3/9):

The view from Trade Street (stairs removed):

Credit: Alex Boswell

Filling-in the area where the stairs were located:

Credit: Greg Errett

Back of the building:

Looking down on it from the 14-storey white box office building next to it:

Assembling the "Outdoor Adventure" rooftop playground equipment:

Credit: kaleideum

Assembling the "Outdoor Adventure" rooftop playground equipment:

Installing the "Outdoor Adventure" rooftop playground equipment:

The exhibits and public spaces:

Lobby:

Nature:

In Motion:

Young Learners

Try It Studio:

Wonders of Water

Digital Dome:

Outdoor Adventure (rooftop):

Building 90 Lab Conversion:
Wexford Science & Technology is still planning an office-to-lab conversion for this building. It is expected to happen this year. There is high demand for more lab space from regenerative medicine companies in downtown Winston-Salem's IQ District. Regenerative medicine is creating organs and growing tissues in a lab. Winston-Salem is the world's leading center for regenerative medicine research.

Merschel Park:
Completion is set for April 15, 2023. A ribbon cutting is scheduled for that day.

Installing the shade structures:

View from the Mexican restaurant next to the park (Monday 3/6):

Credit: MTucker

Aerial View from the 14-storey white box office building across the street:

You can see that white box building in this photograph:

This tree will be decorated as a Christmas Tree each year, saving many trees:

Credit: flyingkono39

Landscaping work:

Credit: Kimberly Barb

Our first color rendering, showing the retail spaces along Fourth Street:

Credit: Windsor Commercial

AlphaBEST Headquarters:
Our first update on this project. AlphaBEST is moving their headquarters from Virginia to downtown Winston-Salem's IQ District. It's interesting, since it's the adaptive-reuse of a former church building into office space.

Architect Renderings:

Grant Park Expansion Phase II: Built!
This project is now completed. Interestingly, it was said this phase of the park hasn't officially opened? You will notice kids there and it's not closed-off to the public. I'm guessing it's built and waiting for a "City Hall" ribbon cutting, with the mayor and that ward's council person?

Now that it's completed, there are so many great renderings:

Another rendering:

A photograph of the completed second phase with people using it:

Salem Bottling Works:
This project is now under construction. It is an adaptive-reuse of the former Coca-Cola Bottling Plant, built in the 1920s. Bobby Boy Bakeshop has leased a space on the ground floor and will use the building as their commercial kitchen. The upstairs will become residential and office space. I've noticed someone trying to rename this neighborhood SoBro? It's West Salem and I will continue to call it that. Just say no to trendy hipster names that are often the same in every city.

Original 1920s Architect Rendering by Pringle and Smith Architects:

Credit: salembottlingworks

Windows restored by B&A Window Restoration:

A look inside:

Bottles found at the site:

Coal Pit:

Coal Pit:

Ground Breaking:

Credit: wilsoncovington

Credit: dKbzHMw3Zx0

Ron Hann, PhD, a former senior level official with the Department of Defense is moving to Winston-Salem to become Director for Technology Integration at the RegenMed Development in downtown Winston-Salem's Bailey Power Plant. Hann’s areas of focus includes national and government business development. He was a member of the Senior Executive Service, in the Department of Defense, serving as the Acting Director, Research and Development Directorate for the Defense Threat Reduction Agency. In that role, he supported DTRA’s mission to enable the DoD and U.S. Government to prepare for and combat weapons of mass destruction and emerging threats and to ensure nuclear deterrence. From 2014-2020, he served as Director of the Chemical and Biological Technologies Department, which addressed the threats posed by chemical and biological weapons. He also served as Director for the Joint Science and Technology Office, a component of the Chemical and Biological Defense Program, which was established by Congress in 2003 and tasked to coordinate, integrate, execute, and transition DoD chemical and biological science and technology medical and non-medical programs. For Hann, moving on from the DoD, but remaining involved in research was a good fit. “The opportunity to be a part of these organizations and help support the advancement of regenerative medicine technologies is exciting,” he said. Regenerative medicine has been at the forefront of improving the quality of life for our wounded veterans for decades, and I see a spectacular future ahead in this scientific discipline.”

Dram & Draught is now open at Bailey Power Plant. Owner Drew Schenck loves the look of Winston-Salem's and Durham's locations. Looking at the space in Bailey Power Plant, "You can't fake this," he said pointing to the massive concrete pillars in the bar, and this ceiling height. There are certain things about it you can't fake." This will be their largest location. The upfit cost $1.2 million and is described as simple, but luxurious. During the soft opening, they were still building their stock of bottles. Right now, they around 400-500 bottles of whiskey, with some that are described as extremely old and some are extremely expensive. This location is surrounded by restaurants and you can bring your food into the bar. This is a socializing bar, so you won't see large TVs showing sports. A TV for presentations is located in a private group room you can rent, but it is turned-off unless needed for group presentations.

Video Link

Credit: TBJ

The Byrum Apartments:
This project is now estimated at $103.7 million, with a construction start date of October 2023.

Construction will be completed in June 2023 and workers will start moving furniture into the building. It should open in Fall 2023.

Credit: Jeff Smith

New Park Space:
This project has started construction and to my surprise... we have updates! This land was originally acquired to move Trinity College (what is known today as Duke University) to Winston-Salem, but that move didn't happen. The land is still there, near downtown, and is a rare undeveloped piece of land to convert into a park. According to Piedmont Land Conservancy, no other sizable city in North Carolina has anything like this. It's on our project list under the title "New Park Space" and I still don't see a name for this park, so we will continue to use that name.

Interstate 74:
The City has requested $49.4 million in NCDOT funding to bring U.S. 52 to Interstate Standards between Exits 118 and 129. The section between Exits 118 to 122 will be widened to six lanes as part of the project.

I-74 / I-40 Interchange - Notice how tall this ramp is:

Someone is building this large tacky house beside the highway, next to the I-74 construction:

I've seen large tacky houses on highways, like this, in Detroit. Winston-Salem does attract a large number of transplants from the Great Lakes region. If I was building a house like that, an interstate interchange is the last place I would want to build it.

Nationwide Marketing Headquarters:
A skincare office and a vintage clothing store called Still Grimey have signed leases for two of the three retail spaces along Sixth Street.

A look at the Italian restaurant in the Liberty Street storefront:

Credit: PgfdfRhEq3k

WFBH Eye Institute:
This will be a $170 million project for downtown's IQ District, according to architect Perkins & Will. Construction is set to start in May 2023. Look for work to start on the new Bath Waterway project in March 2024. It should transform the Bath Waterway into a nice attraction when the Eye Institute opens. The Eye Institute site is right at the Bath Waterway.

Water damage over the past 241 years:

Removing paint:

Before two hours of paint removal:

After two hours of paint removal:

Friends and Neighbors Helping:

The new owners restoring the house:

Selecting a paint color:

Credit: seccacontempart

NASCAR All-Star Race:
This is the restoration and modernization of a 1946 racetrack. The track was abandoned and rotting for several years, after the last Cup Series race in the 1990s. Workers are bringing it to NASCAR Cup Series standards. It will host the 2023 NASCAR All-Star event and could host other NASCAR events, when work is completed.

A nice update on the construction and restoration work happening, before the 2023 NASCAR Cup Series All-Star Race:
Video Link

624 North Trade:

February 21, 2023:

Credit: Robert Long

March 19, 2023

Credit: PgfdfRhEq3k

Two Cities:

Brookhyrst Apartments:
This project is now estimated at $97.8 million.

Cloverleaf Park:
The Gateway Nature Preserve is working to develop a vibrant urban environmental education center, close to downtown Winston-Salem, by preserving wildlife habitat. This is the released rendering of their Viewing Platform for the Salem Waterway. They say they will be able to host events at this space. Construction is set to begin in Spring 2023.

Salem Waterway Viewing Platform:

Credit: gatewaynaturepreserve

Credit: gatewaynaturepreserve

Ludlow House & Sheppard House Restorations: Built!
This restoration project is now completed. These two houses will join The Shaffner Inn to create The Winston-Salem Historic Inns Collection. Following a three-year restoration, the Summit Street Inns (hotel rooms) opened as these two historic homes, built in 1887 and 1892. They feature 10 guest suites with bathrooms, as well as a billiards room and wrap-around porches.

These are actually on a ridge top, on streets named for their views:

Notice you're looking down on the roof of 2-storey homes in the backyard:

The 1887 Ludlow House:

Credit: Brandon Ore

The brick home is the 1892 Benjamin Sheppard House:

East of Texas: Built!
I think this project is completed? It's a mixed-use project with hotel rooms, office space, retail space, outdoor performance space, a craft beer brewery, and more.

Nearing Completion:

L'Avenue Boutique has now opened in this mixed-use development:

Credit: nctriadexplorer

East of Texas Restaurant Opens:
Video Link

Credit: eastoftexaswsnc

Work is expected to start November 15, 2023 on this major renovation project of a 1929 theatre and former 12-storey apartment building. In the $30 million first phase of work, workers will renovate the lobby, replace terracotta on the exterior, replace the roof, restore the brick on the exterior, make window repairs/window work, and improve the back-of-house spaces. In a $51 million second phase of work, workers will reconfigure the balcony with better sight-lines, improve technology, and transform the audience chamber and stage. The space will be designed to host a variety of artistic performances, with state-of-the-art equipment and improved sight-lines. They would like to start on the second phase during the first phase of work. The project is expected to cost around $100 million, including a fundraising effort. Delia Nevola, principal at architectural firm Steinberg Hart, said “With newly established guiding principles for this transformational renovation in mind, we are looking forward to continued collaboration with UNCSA stakeholders to revitalize this stunning space for the entire Winston-Salem community.” Completion is set for sometime between Summer-2025 and Spring 2026.

Credit: steinberghart

Ovation Sound:
To keep it short, this is a mixing and recording studio in downtown's Arts District. A number of noteworthy artists have recorded with them.

A rare interior view from January 2023 and it looks far from completed:

Credit: Ovation Sound

An original stretch of Liberty Street with streetcar tracks that was uncovered:

Artreaux:

April 1, 2023:
Quote:
Video Link

Video Link

Smith Reynolds Airport Restoration:
The terminal restoration is now in the permitting stage. That isn't what is attracting the most attention, though. Forsyth County has requested for the State to remove the airport from Winston-Salem's city limits (de-annexation) to make it more competitive to site selectors and as a place to base aircraft.

If you would like to tour the Terminal Building and learn about its history as well as the restoration work planned, Preservation Forsyth will offer a tour for $20 for non-members. It's scheduled for April 26, 2023 at 5:30 p.m.,. You do have to register and pay $20 (only $10 for members). You can register at their website. They will have snacks and you will meet Mark Davidson. If you're excited about this project, please take the tour and share any photographs and information with us.

The State's economic development team is currently working on plans for a 100 mile (160 kilometre) North Carolina Tech Corridor between Winston-Salem and Raleigh to pitch to site selectors and research/tech employers. This is in addition to the Carolina Core corridor they have already successfully rolled-out, that has attracted thousands of jobs and billions of dollars in investment. The western end of the new 100 mile/160 kilometre North Carolina Tech Corridor is not just downtown Winston-Salem's IQ District. The eVTOL research at this airport is also part of that corridor. The tour could be a great chance to learn about this. I can tell you there are a lot of big things happening at this airport in eVTOL/UAS research that aren't being reported in the local news.

Downtown Streetscape:
The City will replace the vintage light standards along Liberty Street, when work starts on this phase of the project. The current street lights are difficult to repair, parts aren't available, and replacing them is almost impossible. The City will select new light standards that look old from Duke Energy as replacements. The current light standards are 100% the responsibility of the City. If they select light standards from Duke Energy, maintaining and replacing them will transfer to Duke Energy. The City will have to buy the new light standards, though.

If you like the current light standards, photograph and enjoy them while you still can.

Oliver Cycling Park:
Construction will start in 2025. Right now, an effort is underway to raise $10 million in donations for the project.

Credit: Hood Design

New Hangars:
The State is being asked for $50 million, with most of it planned for Smith Reynolds Airport projects. Proposals include adding hangers for single-engine planes, helicopters and electric vertical take-off and landing aircraft. $12 million would be used to develop 64 acres on the eastern side of the airport for an electric vertical take-off and landing (eVTOL) project. Another proposal will use land at Akron Drive and Liberty Street for a new building with flexible uses, including an aviation business incubator. $15 million would be used to build a new hangar for MRO work. $4 million will be used to replace a Quonset hangar with a new hangar. Smith Reynolds is currently constructing two new corporate hangars of 20,000 square-feet each in size.

Off-Subject:

Home Price Increases:
According to CoreLogic, Winston-Salem is the only metro area in North Carolina to have double-digit home price increases, at 11.4%.

MSA Home Price Increases:
Winston-Salem: 11.4%
Greensboro: 9.9%
Charlotte: 9%
Raleigh: 5.9%
Durham: 5.4%

Random Photographs:
I would like to discontinue this part of the updates, but I thought I would I would post today, since I made everyone wait an extra day.

Billy Strings at the Red Daisy Music Festival in Winston-Salem:

Credit: christianbadger52

Video Link

Credit: Pam Mikkelson

Video Link

Credit: Preservation Forsyth

Credit: Brad Dunlap

Cycling in the rain?

Your City

Last edited by Matthew; Dec 15, 2023 at 5:34 AM.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2023, 5:13 AM
Fourth and Main

Merschel Park: Built!
It's finally completed! The park is named for Wanda Merschel, who liked kinetic sculptures. This park has 16 spherical kinetic sculptures, by artist Lyman Whitaker, to represent the 16 years she was an alderwoman/council person. This is one of only two or three works by Lyman Whitaker east of the Mississippi. Most of his work is in the western United States, but he has artwork in other countries, too.

I want to thank the photographers and local businesses, sharing updates on projects, who make this thread possible. Without you, these updates won't happen. I don't make money doing this and I live out-of-state and can't take photographs of these projects. Please allow your photographs to be shared here, to show people the many interesting construction projects happening.

The first event held in this park was a silent disco...

This is a completion party, so we are going to rock and enjoy a large photography post!

Video Link

Credit: George M Bryan Jr.

Installing the signage:

Credit: Jeff MacIntosh

Wednesday (4/12):
Quote:
To save the trees, they planted a Christmas Tree to decorate in the park:

Credit: Credit: George M Bryan Jr.

On a bright, sunny day, I'm sure that white stone is difficult to look down at around lunch time without very dark sunglasses. My prescription glasses turn into sunglasses in those situations, but can they turn dark enough for that? At night, a bright white stone can also make the park lighter, which is a benefit to using it.

Constructing the "Grand Opening" tent:

Credit: Hungry Palate

Credit: Clare Fader

Ribbon Cutting:

Credit: Clare Fader

Credit: stewartknight

Credit: dale briggs

Aerial View (An apartment building with retail space and a Hotel Indigo expansion are planned to the left of the park):

This is the artwork described above:

Credit: Jeffrey L. Smith

This is the artwork described above:

An apartment building will be constructed on the other side of that fence and will have a restaurant space fronting this section of the park:

Credit: David Swift

Kaleideum from the park:

Credit: David Swift

Credit: DWSP

And a few days later... people are using it, even in the intense mid-day sun:

Credit: winstonsalembusiness

Third Street is closed for multiple construction projects, but when it opens... food trucks will be able to access the park's food truck courtyard and that should bring more people to the park. This entire section of downtown Winston-Salem has been a never-ending construction site for roughly 25 years. And there are more projects proposed in this section of downtown, so it will continue to be a never-ending construction site into the future.

Again, the park in use, a few days later, in the mid-day sun:

The next time you're downtown, enjoy the new park! Maybe the hotel expansion and new apartment building with retail spaces fronting the park will start soon, to finish this block? The park won't really be finished until that restaurant space, that uses the park for outdoor dining, is completed in the proposed apartment building.

Old Posted May 1, 2023, 4:01 AM
Fourth and Main

Projects & Construction:
I want to thank the photographers and local businesses, sharing updates on projects, who make this thread possible. Without you, these updates won't happen.

Yes, this is the 13th best city to start a business!

Video Link

The old photography-heavy posts are now "partially" hidden, so the page will load faster and you can easily see the newest projects and visit the latest update. I did keep the new projects visible from each update. Yes, the construction photographs are still there, but you must click the "Show" button to see them. This thread doesn't have a lot of posting, so the photographs add-up, overwhelm, and slow things down. Maybe this will help with those issues? Just remember to click "Show" to see the older updates!

Credit: WXII-TV 12

Rooftop playground:

Credit: Surf Hippie Phishing

Credit: Kaleideum

Notice the view of the Sauratown Mountains and the Artreaux Apartments (see the sign, shown later in this update):

Moore's Knob (pictured above) is the tallest mountain in the Winston-Salem MSA. That photograph almost has a California look to it (The buildings, that handrail, and the look of the mountains).

Installing the roof:

Credit: FLAT Commercial Roofing LLC

$51 million is in the State House budget bill for this project.

Credit: biggdogg

Credit: lljXYku-fo0

Installation of the new windows is completed - Look at all of the construction trucks...

Brookhyrst Apartments:
This 336-unit downtown apartment building is now entering the permitting phase. Samet is the General Contractor for the three-phase project.

Completion in Summer 2024... seems ambitious. When posting updates on this project, I'm usually reminded that historic downtown Winston-Salem is over-run with these new stick-built look-a-like apartment buildings.

Credit: Jack Miller

Credit: Jack Miller

Quote:

Row... row... row your house... gently down the street.... Historic density meets modern density.

North Carolina High School for the Arts Dorm:
As many here know, Winston-Salem has the state high school for elite artists. The best young artists in the state are selected to attend high school at this art school in Winston-Salem and those who don't live in the Winston-Salem area can stay in dorms. A new dorm for 200 students is proposed for the North Carolina High School for the Arts. Design would begin next year. Construction would start in Fall 2027 and the funding is $24.5 million. It would replace a building constructed in 1965.

Interstate 74:

IMG_1207 by Adam Prince, on Flickr

IMG_1202 by Adam Prince, on Flickr

IMG_1199 by Adam Prince, on Flickr

IMG_1201 by Adam Prince, on Flickr

IMG_1214 by Adam Prince, on Flickr

El Costeño is the newest restaurant tenant in Bailey Power Plant. Alex Garcia, from Acapulco, Guerrero, is opening a Mexican seafood concept with micheladas in the space, at the corner of Fifth Street and Patterson Avenue, in downtown's IQ District.

SECCA would change it's name to N.C. Museum of Art - Winston-Salem under a proposal from the State House. This proposal would also send more money to the art museum in the State budget. SECCA (Southeastern Center for Contemporary Art) is a very noteworthy museum, but they have a 1920s building that I'm sure requires major upkeep.

New Signage:

Credit: thehaneshouse

Truliant Headquarters Expansion:
Workers are connecting utility services. This project should be completed, soon.

WoodSpring Suites Extended Stay Hotel:
We now have more information on this project, proposed across the divided highway from Novant Health Forsyth Medical Center. It is a 124-key hotel, with Concord Hospitality as the developer and Path Construction as the GC. It's exactly what you would expect to see next to a divided highway. We also have this rendering, below:

Not the most exciting rendering, but here it is:

Credit: brr Architecture

Williams Auditorium:
Williams Auditorium would receive $22.8 million in 2027 and $14.25 million in 2028 for major renovations in the State House budget bill.

Sentinel Commons:
Workers are preparing to install lighted signage, which will include a blade sign on the Marshall Street side and the name Sentinel Commons in channel letters, on structured awnings, over the entrances.

Salem Bottling Works:

Not much progress on the front of the building:

Credit: winstonsalembusinesses

Harambee Park:
I thought I posted on this a few months ago, but I can't seem to find it or the name (to have matching names for each entry of the same project)? They have selected lighting standards from Duke Energy, so Duke Energy can replace the standards and bulbs. The are doing drainage work, erosion corrections, and landscaping improvements, as part of this project.

Credit: 4tAd7KgLrSU

Dan River Educational State Forest:
The Piedmont Land Conservancy has purchased 848 acres along the Dan River in metro Winston-Salem. This land will become the Triad region's first educational state forest. It will serve the educational and recreational needs of metro Winston-Salem, while protecting the waters of the Dan River and its wildlife habitat. A large number of rare aquatic species can be found in this stretch of the river. The Mountains-to-Sea Trail will pass through the site and it will provide river access to the Dan River State Trail for canoers and kayakers.

Ovation Sound:

It's not a very attractive building on the outside... this is the back side:

Credit: Ovation Sound

Restoring the original street and streetcar tracks:

Credit: Tim Head

New Biotechnology Jobs:
Swedish biotechnology company, Mercodia, has leased space in downtown Winston-Salem's IQ District at One Technology Place. This will become the Swedish company's U.S. headquarters. Mercodia will provide bioanalytical services and biomarker assays to the U.S. pharmaceutical industry and researchers.

Hanes Lake Boat House:

Eller Hall Renovation:
Eller Hall at WSSU would gain $800,000 in 2024 and $1.08 million in 2025 for a renovation and a new elevator. The building would also gain $3.78 million 2027, and $5.14 million in 2028.

NASCAR All-Star Race:

Video Link

New Park Space: Built!
The Stuart & Emma Thomas Memorial Trail opened Saturday, April 22 in the park with no name.

Two Cities:

Credit: biggdogg

Washington Park Renovation:
The shelters and restrooms are completed, except for Shelter 1. Shelter 1 should start construction this month or next month. Workers also must complete drainage work at the new entrance, before this project can be called completed. Right now, weather is delaying this project.

Nationwide Marketing Headquarters:

Sixth Street Storefronts Upfit:

Credit: Carroll H. Leggett

This Italian restaurant could open later this month?

You can see part of the original tin ceiling on the far left:

Salem Lake Park Improvements:
The trellis bridge is finishing construction.

Union Cross Development:
I think this is a spec building? If you're interested in leasing, contact Greater Winston-Salem for details.

Pouring the pad:

Credit: landmarkbuildersinc

This is a great photograph:

Chatham Building Apartments, Hotel, & Retail:
Cleveland-based GBX Group will create 22 one-bedroom units and a 10,000 square-foot co-working space in this Art Deco office building. This building will also have 5 Kasa hotel units, which are luxury hotel suites with tech features, that can be reserved through an app. The apartments will be 500-650 square-feet each. This building will have 19 units on the top floor, two units on the mezzanine level and one on the ground floor. The co-working space will be on another floor. LMI Builders is the General Contractor. Completion is set for December 2023.

Our first look inside (You can tell the last renovation was in the 1980s)!

Credit: Charlie Fulk

Credit: Charlie Fulk

Workers have removed some of the Art Deco signage, showing what is under it:

The ground floor retail spaces are open during the adaptive-reuse construction:

Credit: wilsoncovington

Siemens Mobility Eastern U.S. Passenger Rail Facility:
A construction manager was hired and ground breaking is scheduled for this summer. They want this project to be carbon neutral.

East Tower:
We haven't seen an update on this building in a long time!

Granville Park Improvements:
Contracts are signed and work is about to begin.

Commercial Finance Building:
The Bunker will be a new 40+ seat esports center in this downtown Winston-Salem development. The Bunker will offer state-of-the-art gaming technology and an immersive gaming environment. Expect this facility to host regular tournaments and leagues. The Bunker will be a premier destination for esports gaming and entertainment. As a chain development, this developer plans similar esports projects in Cleveland, OH., and Myrtle Beach, S.C.,.

Cevushi will be the newest tenant in this development. It is a fusion concept that blends the flavors of Japanese sushi and Latin American ceviche.

Workers are constructing Twisted Putter mini-golf (indoors) and the outdoor beer garden, outdoor bar, outdoor live music stage, and dog park, where you can have drinks and listen to live music while your dog enjoys the artificial turf.

Twisted Putter:

Credit: Roar

Credit: Roar

Kernersville Medical Center Expansion:
The Heart & Vascular Lab at this facility opened on April 11, 2023. Work continues on the expansion project.

The Legacy Apartments: Built!
This project appears to be completed? These photographs are from around two months ago. We didn't have many photographs of this project and I forgot about it. If you want your development shown here, please share photographs we can use here. It could be useful in attracting tenants and we love to follow the construction.

Credit: legacyatardmore

The outdoor space was still under construction two months ago:

I'm sure that outdoor space is completed by now and it has a nice view:

New Downtown Elementary School:
Workers are demolishing the old Thomasville Furniture Factory Complex, as they prepare the site for the new public school building.

You can see the 30-storey Winston Tower in the background:

Winston Lake Park Renovation:
The City is selecting a golf course architect and will start a golf course analysis on the Winston Lake Golf Course. They should have a bid set and final price in the not too distant future.

Restoring the windows:

Pegram Hall Renovation:
Pegram Hall at WSSU would gain $800,000 in 2024, $1.6 million in 2025, $5.6 million in 2027, and $8 million in 2028 in the State House budget for renovation work and a new elevator.

Metropolitan Mixed-use:
Workers are about to start the first concrete pour for this project.

Credit: 1CuSI2jQATo

Artreaux Apartments:
The first residents are expected to move-in around June.

Credit: Metrolina Sign Supply

Credit: Metrolina Sign Supply

Regional Commuter Rail:
Senate Bill 520 would start the early processes to study, design, and build a Commuter Rail System in Winston-Salem. It would connect downtown Winston-Salem's IQ District with the airport and Furniture Market.

Smith Reynolds Airport Projects:
The State will create an airport zone with special tax arrangements that reduce both City and County taxes by 50%, to attract more economic development in the UAS / eVTOL industry.

Transit, Bike, & Pedestrian Improvements:
The City is looking into eliminating bus routes 99, 100, and 110. Service will be doubled on bus routes 83, 93, and 103. A section of Route 95 will be eliminated to speed-up bus trips between the western end of the city and downtown.

Salem Parkway Bike & Pedestrian Path:
Property is being acquired at Green Street and a temporary easement is being secured to start construction.

Off-Subject:

Best Cities to Start a Business:
WalletHub has ranked Winston-Salem as the 13th best place to start a business among the top 100 largest U.S., cities. To make their list, they looked at business environment, access to resources, five-year business survival, corporate taxes, growth in small businesses, startups per capita, growth in business revenues, industry variety, and job growth.

Random Photographs:

Spring is here:

Credit: nc.triad.explorer

Video Link

Video Link

Your City

Old Posted May 6, 2023, 3:14 AM
Fourth and Main

And then there was just one. A goal I've had for a long time. So, why do I feel this emptiness?

Video Link

I will say I miss everyone. I updated my profile here, so people there will know who I am here. I also tried to make this page load faster.

Jay seems to insist on linking everyone to this, even though I told him not to. This is updated MONTHLY and there is no real conversation here. I've tried to stop updating this, several times, over the past few years. When he said he would link to this, I told him he should link to waggonera's group, instead. At least this was updated around the time Jay linked to it.

As some of you may know, my wife Lauren changed the password on our combined facebook page, earlier this year; so I would stop using it to share construction updates. She uses it more than me. So, I had to start another facebook page to continue searching for photographs to make this update you're currently looking at. The photographs are from a variety of places (from Linkedin to Flickr and everything in-between) and many require accounts to search them. Right now, there isn't much on that new facebook page. Lauren has laughed at it, saying no friends, no posts, no groups, but I'm more of a forum poster. Since this update doesn't really generate much conversation, would you like to move this to that new facebook page? It would give me an excuse to do something with it other than construction photography searches and it would have the restaurants/retail projects, which I don't post here unless they are part of a larger project. It would also allow my posts to be shared. If you object, please let me know below. I may try to continue this update? I still love this place. This update is also more for people who moved-away and want to see photographs of construction.

I've already posted a few new updates at facebook, including some I won't post here. I also asked Jay, yesterday (Thursday afternoon), to link to that facebook page, but so far... he hasn't. I'll ask again until he links to it. This monthly update, with little or no conversation, isn't the right place to send everyone to.

Last edited by Matthew; May 6, 2023 at 3:49 AM.

Old Posted May 9, 2023, 12:46 PM

So is the WSTB page officially dead? What a shame.

Old Posted May 9, 2023, 7:41 PM

I love the updates in Winston-Salem. I hope you continue to put in the work so we can stay updated on the developments and happenings around the city. Your work is much appreciated, and I know it involves plenty of time and research, but the quality of your updates is great!

Old Posted May 10, 2023, 4:58 AM
Fourth and Main

Video Link

I seem to have more time, lately, allowing me to share updates in two places and even make a few diagrams. It's still sad to not have conversations with good friends about projects anymore. That is what is lost. So far, I do plan to post another update here around June 1.

I remember talking with him back in March and also a few days ago and he said he moved it to another server with a lot of great new features and I think it was said it didn't transfer properly. He used a lot of website terminology and I don't know a lot that stuff. Since it was moved, he lost access to the original server. Interestingly, it had two versions and our browsers would try to read from both. One version was (his words) "a ghost from the old server" that worked perfectly and another version was the new server version, which didn't work. He noticed this after writing code that did nothing and deleting part of the site and seeing it was still there. He gave a lot of details, but I will keep it short by saying he decided to make it read the ghost version while he tried to upgrade the new version, but something security-related prevented him from upgrading it or downloading the files needed to move it with everything intact. He did try hard to bring it back. In the middle of it all, one of his close family members passed-away. After hearing it was "a ghost site" (his words) that could be deleted or over-written at any time, as soon as I saw the information it was trying to read was marked dead, I knew it was about to disappear. I did save a number of screen shots, avatars, and renderings. He actually had the 18 year old forum partially working on that ghost server. It was something many of us hadn't seen in over a decade! I did save a few renderings of projects that never happened from back then and planned to take a few screen shots of it, but it was gone by the time I returned. A good reason to never wait. He used an "r" word (redirect?) to describe the linking, which he did to thank me for being the leading contributor and taking part in the educational media project that was sadly removed in 2020. The reason I couldn't get it linked to that facebook page last week was due to him giving the site to his cousin. He did tell his cousin to make the change. I noticed Jay could link every page to something else, but his cousin can only link one page. His cousin, who has taken an interest in creating a website, may find a way to bring it back or do something else with it, so we shall see. It will continue to be linked to that facebook page until he decides on what that is. If he does nothing with it, it could disappear this fall? That is all I have on it and no, I don't have his cousin's phone number or email or anything. I guess we can check-back every-so-often and see if anything changes. I still haven't found a good replacement for that site and sadly, I don't know enough to create a replacement, but would be interested in joining someone else's replacement site, if it was similar. Maybe the same site or a replacement will return, like at the end of the song? Let me know if someone creates a replacement.

Old Posted May 10, 2023, 2:43 PM

Matthew, as always, thank you for your stellar work put into updating us about W-S developments. With the demise or pause of the WSTB forum, your updates are even more vital to W-S Development Aficianados and Watchers. Also, let's go, Carolina Thunderbirds!

Old Posted May 19, 2023, 1:16 PM

Matthew, or as I will always know you, Fourth & Main, so is the fate of WSTB irretrievably sealed? That will be quite the blow to the merry band of participants in the forum. I hope that we can regroup at another site. Has anyone mentioned Urban Planet as a possible alternative. It appears to me that its format would most closely mirror what we had at WSTB. Nothing will ever replace what was had at WSTB

Winston needs a strong voice in one of these city forums. It would be a real shame to lose the voices of such dedicated Camel City fans.

I also want to thank you for your outstanding contributions to the promotion of Winston. I know that it is a true labor of love for you and I hope you know that I and many others are eternally grateful for what you have done over oh so many years now. Tell Lauren that we think you're a pretty special guy as I'm sure she already knows!!

Old Posted May 19, 2023, 1:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
And then there was just one. A goal I've had for a long time. So, why do I feel this emptiness?

Video Link

I will say I miss everyone. I updated my profile here, so people there will know who I am here. I also tried to make this page load faster.

Jay seems to insist on linking everyone to this, even though I told him not to. This is updated MONTHLY and there is no real conversation here. I've tried to stop updating this, several times, over the past few years. When he said he would link to this, I told him he should link to waggonera's group, instead. At least this was updated around the time Jay linked to it.

As some of you may know, my wife Lauren changed the password on our combined facebook page, earlier this year; so I would stop using it to share construction updates. She uses it more than me. So, I had to start another facebook page to continue searching for photographs to make this update you're currently looking at. The photographs are from a variety of places (from Linkedin to Flickr and everything in-between) and many require accounts to search them. Right now, there isn't much on that new facebook page. Lauren has laughed at it, saying no friends, no posts, no groups, but I'm more of a forum poster. Since this update doesn't really generate much conversation, would you like to move this to that new facebook page? It would give me an excuse to do something with it other than construction photography searches and it would have the restaurants/retail projects, which I don't post here unless they are part of a larger project. It would also allow my posts to be shared. If you object, please let me know below. I may try to continue this update? I still love this place. This update is also more for people who moved-away and want to see photographs of construction.

I've already posted a few new updates at facebook, including some I won't post here. I also asked Jay, yesterday (Thursday afternoon), to link to that facebook page, but so far... he hasn't. I'll ask again until he links to it. This monthly update, with little or no conversation, isn't the right place to send everyone to.
How does one get to that group? Is it a Facebook page?

Old Posted May 20, 2023, 6:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
Video Link

I seem to have more time, lately, allowing me to share updates in two places and even make a few diagrams. It's still sad to not have conversations with good friends about projects anymore. That is what is lost. So far, I do plan to post another update here around June 1.

I remember talking with him back in March and also a few days ago and he said he moved it to another server with a lot of great new features and I think it was said it didn't transfer properly. He used a lot of website terminology and I don't know a lot that stuff. Since it was moved, he lost access to the original server. Interestingly, it had two versions and our browsers would try to read from both. One version was (his words) "a ghost from the old server" that worked perfectly and another version was the new server version, which didn't work. He noticed this after writing code that did nothing and deleting part of the site and seeing it was still there. He gave a lot of details, but I will keep it short by saying he decided to make it read the ghost version while he tried to upgrade the new version, but something security-related prevented him from upgrading it or downloading the files needed to move it with everything intact. He did try hard to bring it back. In the middle of it all, one of his close family members passed-away. After hearing it was "a ghost site" (his words) that could be deleted or over-written at any time, as soon as I saw the information it was trying to read was marked dead, I knew it was about to disappear. I did save a number of screen shots, avatars, and renderings. He actually had the 18 year old forum partially working on that ghost server. It was something many of us hadn't seen in over a decade! I did save a few renderings of projects that never happened from back then and planned to take a few screen shots of it, but it was gone by the time I returned. A good reason to never wait. He used an "r" word (redirect?) to describe the linking, which he did to thank me for being the leading contributor and taking part in the educational media project that was sadly removed in 2020. The reason I couldn't get it linked to that facebook page last week was due to him giving the site to his cousin. He did tell his cousin to make the change. I noticed Jay could link every page to something else, but his cousin can only link one page. His cousin, who has taken an interest in creating a website, may find a way to bring it back or do something else with it, so we shall see. It will continue to be linked to that facebook page until he decides on what that is. If he does nothing with it, it could disappear this fall? That is all I have on it and no, I don't have his cousin's phone number or email or anything. I guess we can check-back every-so-often and see if anything changes. I still haven't found a good replacement for that site and sadly, I don't know enough to create a replacement, but would be interested in joining someone else's replacement site, if it was similar. Maybe the same site or a replacement will return, like at the end of the song? Let me know if someone creates a replacement.
"Matthew" is a grade A clown.

For those of you who don't remember -- or weren't around for -- the early days of online urban development blogs, "Matthew" (I'm using quotes here because who knows if that's even his real name) was banned from UrbanPlanet in the early 2000s for having several user accounts tied to the same IP address. He'd use these various alter egos ("Matthew", "Myles Away", "Danny 4 Peace", etc.) to carry on conversations with himself about projects in Winston and make self-aggrandizing comments about his contributions to the forum.

Once "Matthew" was banned from UP, he made the transition over to this forum and SSC. Soon after, he started the WSTB forum using the same tactics. "Fourth and Main", "yadkinv", "27101", "zinzendorf" and a slew of other usernames were all one person: "Matthew."

For whatever unexplained reason, the WSTB forum, has had multiple iterations of itself since 2006/2007. The site will go down every couple of years and then reappear with almost all of the past history wiped clean.

"Matthew," just stop the crap. Seriously. If you need validation, get it from people in real life. If you need help, please seek it out. It's so ridiculous you've been pulling this online charade of making up people who don't exist for almost 20 years now. Give it a rest already.

Old Posted May 20, 2023, 9:27 PM
Fourth and Main

Actually, a Charlotte moderator at Urban Planet (UP), who had connections to "that city to the east" and was banned from here (SSP), didn't like me and became more angry at me when I shared something really nice he posted on another N.C., city (a city rarely seen) at this site. After that, it was trouble at UP. Two more people joined over there, both posting on Winston-Salem and often reposting what I shared over here. And then I was IP banned, with him and his friends laughing about it. Most people are banned and return, but I decided I wouldn't return somewhere I'm not welcome. Not long after, I met my now wife Lauren and decided to reduce the number of forums I post at to just one, so I would have more time for dating. I slowly started leaving forums on a variety of subjects until I was down to WSTB and SSP. A year or so after dropping SSC, a moderator from South Carolina, on UP, sent me a message at SSC saying the owner of UP removed the moderator who had me banned and I was invited to return to UP. It appears as if he was a trouble maker with other members and the two people I was accused of being had actually registered in Charlotte and when those accounts reshared my photographs at UP, they were shared on the photography account of that banned moderator. The invite to return to UP was very polite. Sadly, I didn't see it until nearly a decade after it was sent. I think we are both (UP and me) friendly with each other, today. I know I'm welcome back over there and I refuse to say anything bad about them. That relationship was repaired. However, as a dad, husband, homeowner, and creative worker, I don't have the time today that I had when I was in high school and college, so I'm staying with one forum.

My plan to move everything to facebook doesn't seem to be very popular? Even my wife think this update shows more of me in it. It seems as if most want the updates moved here (SSP), but updated more frequently than a month. The reason the updates are monthly is due to a lack of photographs and conversation. It is good to hear back from people, because the lack of conversation almost led me to consider retirement from posting updates. If I had more than one account, don't you think I would've posted to this, to make it look lively, over the past ten years? I'm sure if I moved it elsewhere, it would have the same results. Actually, I started this thread you're looking at when someone said something not-so-great about my wife at WSTB. In anger, I left... thinking I would never return. I thought I would move here and people would follow, but they didn't. They stayed at WSTB, which led to me returning over there. It's fun to laugh at being alone over here, but it is easier if there is somewhere else to go with conversation. Interestingly, I've often thought this was the better update, though many preferred WSTB. I learned ten years ago, that just because I move my posts somewhere else doesn't mean anyone will follow. If people don't like the updates I post, I am very open to retirement from these updates. I would continue to make diagrams and go here to see other cities.

Old Posted May 21, 2023, 9:54 AM

Matthew - I appreciate the updates as well. I have created an ID here in-case this becomes the new WSTB forum.

Old Posted May 21, 2023, 1:57 PM

Thank you for your dedication and hard work, Matthew. We are mourning the death of WSTB, but pray this forum can somewhat fill the hole.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations