HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Sep 27, 2012, 3:22 PM

Exclamation NASHVILLE | Broadwest | 34 & 21 FLOORS

Nashville-based HCA will be announce this morning in a new conference with the governor and mayor of Nashville about a new 900k sq ft development of the West End Summit by the company today and house over 2,000 employees when done. The overall design hasn't really changed, just a shortening of both towers and obviously no Intercontinental Hotel and Summit Residences. The project is set to begin early next year, likely mid-1st quarter. The lake just needs to be drained, a bit more drilling and blasting, and then pour the footers and we're good to go. I expect a minimum of 3 and a maximum of 6 tower cranes for the project. After over a decade it's finally, FINALLY going to happen!

Nashville Business Journal:
http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville...-new-jobs.html

Rendering

Last edited by futuresooner; Aug 21, 2018 at 4:53 PM.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2012, 3:33 PM
Preds/Titans/Grizz

Nice work on getting this started futuresooner. Finally we get to see these built. Shorter than originally planned, but still they're a nice addition to the skyline and midtown, and there's no more Lake Palmer being an eyesore. Also, this will bring a bit more density and will look pretty nice when viewing West End and Midtown from Downtown.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2012, 3:35 PM
Preds/Titans/Grizz

Here's an old rendering in case anyone wants to make the comparison.

Source: http://www.nashvillecondoscentral.com/

Old Posted Sep 27, 2012, 4:24 PM

The good news just keeps pouring in for Music City! I'm so happy to finally see WES come to fruition even if the towers are smaller than initially planned.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2012, 4:57 PM

Glad to see this finally moving forward. But can't say that I'm fond of the mohawk tops.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2012, 5:06 PM

West End Summit expected to transform Midtown Nashville

This project and site has always been called the key to tying downtown and midtown together and finally will happen. It is also called the necessary catalyst for a whole new slew of developments in the east section of midtown and we're likely going to see that happening the coming years.

Nashville Business Journal piece on midtown development due to WES:
http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville...transform.html

Old Posted Sep 27, 2012, 5:10 PM

Yeah, the design is a now a little dated and the shorter towers look stumpy. I think they may look somewhat similar to Chesapeake Plaza (formerly Pier One Place) in Ft. Worth pictured below once completed.

http://www.fortwortharchitecture.com/pier1.htm

Last edited by ariesjow; Sep 28, 2012 at 5:43 AM.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2012, 5:30 PM
Future God

That original design is SOOO much better, but, outdated squatiness not withstanding, I am so excited that this is finally happening, and actually quite stunned. I didnt think Alex had it in him. Im sure the original thread for this was deleted a long time ago.

-Bob Marley

Old Posted Sep 27, 2012, 10:52 PM

Palmer: West End Summit to include 225-room luxury hotel

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville...e-225-key.html

A 225-room luxury hotel will accompany West End Summit's twin 20-story office towers, developer Alex Palmer said Thursday afternoon.
The deal involving a "four-and-a-half-star hotel," which will push the project's budget well past the previously announced $200 million mark, is close but not finalized, Palmer said.

"The hotel will happen," Palmer said. "We elected not to announce the hotel until all the Is are dotted and Ts are crossed. We anticipate in the not too distant future being able to announce it. We want to be able to make sure it's 100 percent done."
A hotel has long been been part of the project, which has been on the drawing board for a decade. In 2006, Palmer announced a deal to include a 285-room InterContinental Hotel & Resort at West End Summit. At one time the project also included condo units, which have since been scrapped.
Nashville Mayor Karl Dean announced Thursday morning that construction on West End Summit will begin next year, thanks to an expansion by HCA affiliates involving 2,000 new and existing jobs.

Nevin Batiwalla covers real estate/development and regional economic development.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2012, 10:56 PM

Beat me to it. So this obviously is not going to be the finalized design for the entire project. I wonder if it'll be in a separate structure or part of one of the two towers. This truly is exciting.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2012, 3:54 AM
Monomania w/ Skyscrapers

Thats pretty exciting, nice to see the skyline extended!

Old Posted Sep 28, 2012, 4:03 AM

For the record, the WES site is in front of the Shell station and these two twoers will block about half of the midtown skyline, basically everything on the right (north) side of West End Avenue from this viewpoint.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2012, 4:06 AM
Preds/Titans/Grizz

Midtown looks crazy dense in that photo. WES will be a great addition, and hopefully with the announced hotel inclusion will gain a little more height; at least we all hope it does. Don't get me wrong, I would be perfectly happy to have them built as they are in the newly released renderings, but if one tower could reach near 30 floors with the hotel, that would have a huge impact on the skyline, especially sitting at the elevation that the site has.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2012, 6:17 AM

Adding floors to the tallest tower seems most likely to me as well. I don't think there's enough space on the WES site for a third building. On the other hand, Palmer seemed to suggest the days of the auto dealerships in surrounding lots may be numbered in his Nashville Business Journal interview. Maybe Palmer has bigger plans up his sleeve that includes surrounding lots. You never know. No one saw this one coming.

NBJ Interview with Developer Alex Palmer

Article mentioned that the lead architect is Turan Duda of the same firm who designed the Chesapeake Plaza in Ft. Worth posted earlier, Frost Bank Tower (Austin) and Terminus 100 (Atlanta). I believe these towers will be well-lit at night judging by the firm's previous work.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2012, 2:48 PM
Preds/Titans/Grizz

That was a good interview. I'm glad to learn that there will also be a few shops and three restaurants that will hopefully boost the street life there and keep pedestrians on the street will past work hours.

I may have overlooked it, but I assume there will still the the 7 or so floors of underground parking?

I'm hoping the hotel will add an additional 5-7 floors to one of the towers, but we will see.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2012, 3:38 PM

Is the site roughly halfway between the Gulch and Vandy ?

Old Posted Sep 28, 2012, 6:18 PM
Preds/Titans/Grizz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale View Post
Is the site roughly halfway between the Gulch and Vandy ?
Pretty much so.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2012, 1:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by futuresooner View Post
Beat me to it. So this obviously is not going to be the finalized design for the entire project. I wonder if it'll be in a separate structure or part of one of the two towers. This truly is exciting.
Hopefully seperate because the more towers the better,imo. That's what i love most about this project even without the hotel proposal. It's gonna be fun watching "the twins" rise out of the ground at the same time.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2012, 10:40 PM

picture

Futuresooner - you should take an update picture above, showing all the tower cranes out on West End!

It is a good time to be in construction in Nashville

Old Posted Jan 15, 2013, 12:48 AM
Nashville born and raised

Not much to add about this development except that it is proceeding througn the City approval process. One tower (East) will be 22 stories and about 340 ft tall (tallest in mid-town; Palmer Plaza is 260 ft). The other will be 17 stories and about 250 ft tall. They will be imposing structures because of their location on top of a hill; hence the name West End Summit.

The developer is on record of wanting to add a 200 to 300 room hotel to the lot. It would be nice to see all those cranes at once. With the elongated, rectangular floor plan of the proposed buildings, it would resemble a reduced version of Rockefeller Center.

The tenents (subsidiaries of The Hospital Corporation of America) have signed leases, so after many years of false starts, this project will finally be built, and starting soon.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive