HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

YUL 1 in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Montreal Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Montreal Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted May 1, 2012, 1:29 AM
The Vomit Bag.

^second that. Urban vitality first, skyscrapers second (or third).
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted May 1, 2012, 2:30 PM
Homo Platoregimontis

I think some here don't realise that downtown Montréal is in a much better situation than even a decade ago : most of the new buildings added in town are now covering what use to be parking lots : the Embassy Suite, the tower of the new Westin, the Louis-Bohème (like it or not), the Garden Inn, the 333 Sherbrooke east (in this case, unoccupied terrain), the Jean-Paul Riopelle square, the Sir Robert Simpson (built where there was the ruins of a burned church for years) the Science campus of UQAM (between President-Kennedy, Saint-Urbain,Sherbrooke and Jeanne-Mance) and so forth...including most of the building under construction now (like the new Marriott on René-Lévesque) or proposed.

Come to see our SC4 cities at http://www.toutsimcity.com/forums/af....php?forum=vil
or here : http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=117089

Old Posted Jun 13, 2012, 9:59 PM
Utilisateur enregistré

Old Posted Jun 14, 2012, 2:11 AM
The good old days are now

I like it. The second one was a little more interesting, but this one is still quite good.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2012, 12:16 PM
Look at me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTLskyline View Post
I like it. The second one was a little more interesting, but this one is still quite good.
It seems to me that it can easily be a hit/miss. If the materials used are fine the we'll be in for a treat. Otherwise, we may have a jumbo Louis-Boheme.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2013, 3:31 AM

Looks like the 40 floor condo project is dead in favour of 2 x ~30 floors.

Quote:
Downtown YUL project poised for takeoff
February 11, 2013. 7:28 pm
Posted by: Allison Lampert

A softening housing project hasn’t hampered plans to reinvent one of downtown Montreal’s largest remaining developable sites as – you guessed it, a mixed residential project.

Plans for the sprawling Îlot Overdale site, which includes the historic Maison Louis-Hippolyte-Lafontaine, are to be announced shortly, I’m told. The project, called YUL, involves two 30 storey-plus residential condo towers at the site on René Levésque Blvd. and Lucien L’Allier St., with the possibility of a third commercial building in the long term, real estate sources tell me.

The project, by Montreal businessman Kheng Ly – and backed by Asian investors – would include green space in the back of the site near Overdale Ave. – with long-term plans to fully restore the deteriorating mansion. The city has received a request to demolish an existing restaurant on the vast site, which Ly’s company acquired for $28 million in 2011, but no permit has been issued for the final project, a spokesperson for Montreal’s Ville Marie borough tells me.

It’s one of several announced and expected projects poised to further transform downtown Montreal parking lots into condos.

“There’s a lot more to come on René Levésque,” one real estate veteran tells me.

The Overdale site had originally been considered for the future Montreal offices of Telus Corp. Instead the telecommunications company decided to renew the lease at its existing offices at 630 René Levésque until at least 2018.

“The (Overdale) project is not going forward for the time being,” Telus spokesperson Amélie Cliche tells me.

As for the future of the Lafontaine house, the building is to be restored, but its future use is yet to be determined, I’m told.

Dinu Bumbaru, policy director for Heritage Montreal, told my colleague Marian Scott that he hasn’t heard any news from the developer for several months.

alampert@montrealgazette.com
@RealDealMtl
http://blogs.montrealgazette.com/201...d-for-takeoff/

Old Posted Feb 12, 2013, 4:07 AM

It's funny the project is called YUL, because that ugly eyesore lot is so massive you can build a airport runway on it, I'll believe it when they start digging

Old Posted Feb 12, 2013, 5:11 PM
Look at me!

^Ha good observation.

Well I must say I'm disappointed. I really liked the original 40 storey design. Now it seems we're poised to get twin towers...again. Another Roccabella?

Old Posted Feb 14, 2013, 9:01 PM
Look at me!

Quote:
YUL, le projet monstre de Kheng Ly au centre-ville de Montréal
HUGO JONCAS

En plein ralentissement immobilier, l'homme d'affaires Kheng Ly et ses partenaires s'apprêtent à lancer YUL, le plus grand complexe de copropriétés au centre-ville de Montréal. Deux gratte-ciel, près de 900 unités, des vendeurs à Pékin et à Hô Chi Minh-Ville, un projet de revitalisation de la maison historique de Louis-Hippolyte La Fontaine... Le projet du promoteur au passé trouble est d'une ampleur sans précédent dans la métropole.

Si tout va comme l'espère Kheng Ly, le bureau de vente ouvrira dès juin, et l'excavation pour la première tour commencera en novembre, à l'angle du boulevard René-Lévesque et de la rue de la Montagne. Les Affaires a pris connaissance du projet en primeur dans les bureaux du principal cabinet d'architectes en charge, Menkès Shooner Dagenais LeTourneux (MSDL).

Kheng Ly travaille sur YUL avec le constructeur Jack Arduini et l'épicier Yip Chee Sing, des Aliments Kim Phat. Les architectes ont dessiné les trois premières phases du projet, résidentielles, qui totaliseront 800 000 pi2. Elles prévoient la construction de deux tours de 38 étages et 404 unités chacune, 47 condos lofts dans le basilaire et 18 maisons en rangée de trois étages, avenue Overdale, au sud du quadrilatère. Total: pas moins de 873 habitations.

La construction coûtera 215 M $ et les ventes doivent rapporter quelque 600 M $, selon les attentes des promoteurs.

Kheng Ly n’en est pas à son premier projet : il a financé la construction de quelques immeubles de copropriétés dans la région de Montréal. Mais YUL est son plus important, et sera le plus grand au centre-ville.

«J’ai travaillé fort dans le textile, explique l’homme d’affaires d’origine sino-cambodgienne. Puis, il y a dix ans, j’ai commencé dans l’immobilier.»

Mais son parcours comporte d’importantes zones d’ombre. En 2004, il s’est retrouvé au cœur d’une affaire de blanchiment d’argent pour un réseau de vente de drogue. La Couronne a retiré les accusations contre Kheng Ly, mais son associé dans une compagnie d’encaissement de chèques a fait 16 mois de prison.
http://www.lesaffaires.com/secteurs-...ontreal/554338

Last edited by Rico Rommheim; Feb 14, 2013 at 9:11 PM.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2013, 12:16 AM

Don't mean to be a downer, but I hate it. It looks like it would become a real eyesore... The old project was a million times more attractive... It went from being my favourite high-rise condo project downtown to my least favourite... At least it will get rid of those horrible vacant lots and restore the LaFontaine Mansion.

Thanks for sharing nonetheless!

Old Posted Feb 15, 2013, 12:21 AM
Look at me!

Oh I agree, the average design notwithstanding, I'm not too keen on having yet another twin tower project on the boulevard. The old design was somewhat colourful and original. This one ain't.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2013, 12:30 AM
testify

again, this project will be judged by the quality of the street presence. personally, what i like best about this new information is the fact that they're conducting sales in beijing and saigon, definitely the way to go with the montreal market already softening up.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2013, 2:50 AM

Quote:
Don't mean to be a downer, but I hate it. It looks like it would become a real eyesore... The old project was a million times more attractive... It went from being my favourite high-rise condo project downtown to my least favourite... At least it will get rid of those horrible vacant lots and restore the LaFontaine Mansion.

Honestly, it may never even restore the lafontaine mansion, with this being at the end of the cycle. They're not doing it in the first phase, not even until the third phase, and if the market drops out before then, the mansion will just remain abandoned.

Last edited by BIMBAM; Feb 15, 2013 at 3:24 AM.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2013, 1:17 PM
Give us a kiss

René-Lévesque et de la Montagne? Isn't it Lucien-l'allier?
What kind of sloppy journalism is that?

Also, at 400 units per those 38 story towers are either going to be fat as hell, or the units will be tiny. Isn't Roccabella is about the same height and 500 units total across two towers?
Or maybe this is another mistake in the article...

Old Posted Feb 15, 2013, 11:03 PM

Quote:

I quite like the design.

Maybe you may be able to appreciate it more if you consider the context of the building across the street (E-commerce It hink) Anyway, it seems to use similar facade + it is a bit deconstructive + taller!

I think it acts as an "extension" of the E-commernce building and think it would actual look quite brilliant!

Imagine, 4-5 buildings - all glass lining up the René-Lévesque.

Also, at least for me, I find the older design a bit disconnected from its surrounding. With the new design, I find there would be a link between this building + E-Commerce, Icone + the IBM (the really tall one!)

Old Posted Feb 16, 2013, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashok View Post
I quite like the design.

Maybe you may be able to appreciate it more if you consider the context of the building across the street (E-commerce It hink) Anyway, it seems to use similar facade + it is a bit deconstructive + taller!

I think it acts as an "extension" of the E-commernce building and think it would actual look quite brilliant!

Imagine, 4-5 buildings - all glass lining up the René-Lévesque.

Also, at least for me, I find the older design a bit disconnected from its surrounding. With the new design, I find there would be a link between this building + E-Commerce, Icone + the IBM (the really tall one!)
For residential towers, I tend to like minimalist designs using high quality materials the best (and I like balconies kept to a minimum and preferably not hanging off the side of the building). This one seems to have too much going on, IMO. Maybe the materials will be of really high quality, but I'm a bit skeptical of what the end result will be. I get a mediocre generic Toronto condo vibe from it.

I know what you mean about the old design being disconnected - I would have preferred the tower part going up on the eastern portion of the lot. Maybe another tower going up on the western portion (like the proposed Hilton from a few years ago). I thought it was much more aesthetically attractive.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2013, 7:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashok View Post
I quite like the design.

I totally agree with you on the new design, much better than the first one in fact. The first looked a bit too much like the Tour des Canadiens.

Big T, you are right, the journalists get so many things wrong, it is incredible.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2013, 10:10 PM

I look forward to seeing a better rendering!

You guys are right, it really depends a lot on the materials. Sometimes in Montreal, I find we use materials that ought to be kept in the suburbs.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2013, 1:44 AM
Utilisateur enregistré

Since nobody posted it yet, here is the render that can be seen in the paper version of the article.

YUL by lake of the nations, on Flickr

Old Posted Feb 17, 2013, 2:08 AM
Look at me!

Oh I like it, thanks for posting!

Notice the empty space on the north-east corner, that is reserved for the 3rd phase. Let's hope Phase 3 happens otherwise its another empty lot!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive