HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

YUL 1 in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Montreal Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Montreal Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Apr 3, 2012, 6:27 PM

MONTREAL | YUL Condos (2 towers) | 120 M / 394 FT | 38, 38 FLOORS

Quote:
Originally Posted by IluvMTL View Post
Résidentiel et commercial
- 120 mètres (basilaire de 44 mètres)
- Concepteurs : Menkès Shooner Dagenais
LeTourneux architectes et Stefano Domenici Architecte

Voir l'image ici:
http://stream1.newswire.ca/media/201...C_FR_11905.pdf

Last edited by Robertpuant; Apr 3, 2012 at 6:55 PM.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2012, 2:32 AM
The good old days are now

The architecture of this one reminds me a little bit of a cheap version of the Montevideo building in Rotterdam.

Torre 'Montevideo', Rotterdam, Holanda by pedro kok, on Flickr

Old Posted Apr 18, 2012, 7:43 PM
Look at me!

I like what Rotterdam has been doing lately. I do hope we get something like this^, even if it has to be a bit cheaper.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2012, 12:11 AM
The Vomit Bag.

^Second that. Damned overdale...been keeping us waiting since the 70s!
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Apr 26, 2012, 4:57 PM

New renders. Stunning in my humble opinion.

By martinmtl at 2012-04-26

By martinmtl at 2012-04-26

Old Posted Apr 26, 2012, 6:20 PM

Stunning indeed!!

Old Posted Apr 26, 2012, 9:21 PM
Look at me!

This is a high quality render. Now, provided they dont use the same materials as the Louis boheme, this should be a stunner, regardless of the height.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2012, 9:24 PM
Look at me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico Rommheim View Post
This is a high quality render. Now, provided they dont use the same materials as the Louis boheme, this should be a stunner, regardless of the height.
Also, is Montreal seeing the beginnings of a new style of high rise development? A 10 storey base with a 40 storey tower rising perpendicular to the street? (Marriott and Hilton)

Old Posted Apr 26, 2012, 9:29 PM
Give us a kiss

agreed, the materials will make or break this one. i still remember walking to work when the first prefab slab was being delivered for the louis bohème... it ruined my day when i saw it.

what i'd really like to see would be black (or very dark green? would be a nice callout to cibc up the street) marble cladding. of course, not gonna happen.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2012, 11:15 PM

There are other nice and creative options than marble or granite. Here's a nice idea of Jean Nouvel for example.

Chrispic

I'll let you guys translate this to English if anyone asks and if you don't mind. I'm sorry but it's getting late over here and I don't master that kind of material vocabulary.
Quote:
Originally Posted by monmix from pss-archi.eu
[...] on apprend notamment que la façade de la partie basse n'est pas du tout en béton préfabriqué, mais qu'elle a été réalisée en utilisant du mortier projeté sculpté, imitant ainsi des blocs de pierre (le béton préfa aurait été trop répétitif). Deux étapes :
- une première couche d'enduit de 3 cm (sur laine minérale, treillis soudé et lame d'air), qui sèche pendant 2 semaines ;
- une deuxième couche de mortier de 4 à 5 cm, dans lequel le sculpteur trace les lignes de faille principales (mortier frais), le laisse tirer, puis attaque les détails et la finition. Il n'y a eu qu'un sculpteur, qui réalisait 40 m² de façade par jour.

C'est l'entreprise AAB (Atelier Artistique du Béton) qui a réalisé cette façade particulière. Je pense qu'au vu du résultat, on peut les féliciter, ainsi que le sculpteur
Thanks to the pss-archi team as usual.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2012, 1:00 AM

Well, I hate to bring you the "bad" news, but Overdale is, in fact, a project by the same team who did Louis-Bohème, which, despite its shortcomings, is a very nice building. At least when looking at it from the east.

Photo Serge Theriault. Source: Ville de Montréal.

Source

Old Posted Apr 27, 2012, 3:07 AM
testify

i actually love louis-bohème, by far the nicest tower built in montreal in my lifetime. not saying a lot given how awful our value engineered towers are, but still worth noting.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2012, 2:34 PM
Homo Platoregimontis

Je suis d'accord : le Louis-Bohème est un bel édifice.
Le projet de l'ilot Overdale est aussi extrèmement satisfaisant. J'apprécie particulièrement l'espace vert aménagé du côté sud.

Come to see our SC4 cities at http://www.toutsimcity.com/forums/af....php?forum=vil
or here : http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=117089

Old Posted Apr 27, 2012, 4:26 PM
Give us a kiss

le louis bohème est correct de loin (et encore, je trouve la proportion entre la base et la tour pas très gracieuse, mais c'est mon avis personnel), mais de près c'est une autre affaire! le revêtement prefab noir fait vraiment cheap. j'ai pas hâte de voir ce qu'il va devenir dans 10 ans.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2012, 5:23 PM
Look at me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by big T View Post
le louis bohème est correct de loin (et encore, je trouve la proportion entre la base et la tour pas très gracieuse, mais c'est mon avis personnel), mais de près c'est une autre affaire! le revêtement prefab noir fait vraiment cheap. j'ai pas hâte de voir ce qu'il va devenir dans 10 ans.
Pas très beau, ça c'est sur.

Ce qui me frustre avec le L-B c'est la façade nord et surtout, l'ouest. La façade de l'est est très belle, mais les autres sont tellement moche, c'est un clin d'oeuil direct au tours du ghetto Concordia.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2012, 8:50 PM
testify

en ce qui concerne l'îlot overdale - y aura-t-il de commerces au niveau du rdc le long du boulevard? si oui, j'y serais moi-même aux rencontres publiques avec ma vuvuzuela, partisan farouche.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2012, 10:30 AM
MTL♥

I think in the next 10 years mtl skyline will change quite a bit ... all these 120m towers will make a huge difference especially in aerial photos... i don't even want a 250m tower... i like these 120m - 150m towers.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2012, 5:51 PM
Look at me!

I agree with G.S. Montreal. Let us gain a few dozen 120-150m towers and densify the core. Right now, downtown doesn't need height, but more highrise density. Looking at the skyline from the Peel Bassin makes this quite obvious.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2012, 5:28 PM
testify

yeah, and a concerted effect to repair the damage to the street-level wrought by several decades of catastrophic development policy and a history of failed social housing projects and mafia-backed proposals. there are so many empty lots in the downtown core that i avoid certain streets entirely (parts of bishop, mckay, city councillors, mayor, union, virtually everything between rene-levesque and saint-cath from guy to lorimier, the ville-marie/craig stretch, the list is nearly endless). we fix those in a way that creates consistent streetscapes and rebuilt retail walls, and we're going to have an amazing city, like once we did.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2012, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flight_from_kamakura View Post
yeah, and a concerted effect to repair the damage to the street-level wrought by several decades of catastrophic development policy and a history of failed social housing projects and mafia-backed proposals. there are so many empty lots in the downtown core that i avoid certain streets entirely (parts of bishop, mckay, city councillors, mayor, union, virtually everything between rene-levesque and saint-cath from guy to lorimier, the ville-marie/craig stretch, the list is nearly endless). we fix those in a way that creates consistent streetscapes and rebuilt retail walls, and we're going to have an amazing city, like once we did.
I agree with you, and I'm less concerned with highrise or skyscraping than with bringing back the buzz that used to exist before highways and other things wreaked havoc on St Antoine, Notre-Dame and the area around Windsor station for instance. Looking at old pictures, it is hard to imagine how vital streets were sacrificed for ugly massive and nondescript infrastructure.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive