HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

New Century Plaza North Tower in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Los Angeles Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Los Angeles Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Sep 19, 2012, 12:10 AM
Inveterate Angeleno

^ Yeah, you're right. I never quite picked up on that.

I embrace CC for what it is -- a sterile modernist wasteland. It is truly our La Defense.

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Sep 19, 2012, 4:14 AM
them bones

^Well, it won't be as good as La Defense until the subway actually goes there. Maybe then.

Happy to see they saved the hotel.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2012, 4:36 AM

I think that if we squeeze as many buildings into Century City as possible to increase density, it'll make a HUGE difference to pedestrian activity coming out of the station portal. That, and street-facing retail will help make a dent in Century City's auto-centric image.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2012, 1:34 AM

What's the status of this project?
The Hotel, is it still working or has been closed already?

Glad that they decided (or were forced) to preserve the hotel. It seems as a gorgeous building that deserves to be preserved IMO (unless the Grand Wilshire, whose renovation made it an abomination)

And finally, a point to the poor Minoru Yamasaki, that has that pretty odd and unwanted particularity of being an architect that is most famous for the works that were destroyed than those that were constructed. First, the implosion of Pruitt-Igoe, one of the more symbolic and publicited demolitions of any building in recent history. And then the 9-11 destruction of the Twin Towers, the major terrorist atack in history and a milestone in TV broadcasting, as the whole world could watch, live, their collapse. It's almost like he's been cursed.

At least this one, is save
(of course, the demolition of it would have been a relatively ordinary one. It wouldnt had the enormous significance of its destruction as in the other two cases)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
I can't believe how symmetrical Century City is becoming, it's really quite beautiful and unique. I love how the new towers and hotel directly mirror the Century Plaza twin towers and 2000 Avenue of the Stars across the street. Exciting stuff!
Indeed, It is nice how the facade of the towers mimic somehow both the convex facade of that side of the hotel and its the balconies, and as you said, mirror the Century Plaza Towers, also a work of Yamasaki.
It would be an exciting work of urban design to renovate that entire area, that goes from CP Towers to CP Hotel, including that building between them, with the huge window, making it much more pedestrian friendly. It could truly become the (21st) Century Plaza of Los Angeles.

Last edited by CCs77; Nov 18, 2012 at 2:12 AM.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2012, 3:30 AM

I love how Century City's tallest buildings are centralized, as well as how US Bank Tower is to Downtown. It would nice to see the two twin towers in CC directly facing each other

Old Posted Nov 18, 2012, 4:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCs77 View Post
What's the status of this project?
The Hotel, is it still working or has been closed already?
The 46 story residential towers are scheduled to start construction in 2014.

Existing hotel is still open, as far as I know.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2013, 1:48 AM

Curbed today says that the project "is a go!"

"Another bust-era project is alive and well and passed the City Council today: the long-planned redevelopment of Century City's crescent-shaped Hyatt Regency Century Plaza Hotel won unanimous approval this very morning. Developer Next Century Associates plans to put up two residential towers designed by Pei Cobb Freed, add a 100,000-square-foot retail and restaurant plaza, renovate the 1966 hotel, and create more than two acres of public open space on the six-acre site. The hotel will end up with 394 rooms and suites and 63 "luxury" condos (Marmol Radziner is handling preservation work). The towers--a late-in-the-game addition to prevent demolition of the Minoru Yamasaki-designed hotel--will each be 46 stories and have a combined 290 units. The compromise that saved the hotel was so successful that the project "received universal support with no public opposition," according to a press release.

Two more tall towers in Century City is pretty interesting, but the most compelling part of this project is the public space (Rios Clementi Hale is the landscape architect), which will extend out to Avenue of the Stars in an attempt to make notoriously-un-pedestrian-friendly CC a little more pedestrian-friendly. The plans also incorporate a proposed future station for the Purple Line extension (that's the extremely controversial one that'll send the route under Beverly Hills High).

Construction is set to start in early 2014."
Adrian Kudler at Curbed LA.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2013, 1:49 AM

The towers have received a re-design.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2013, 1:59 AM
Inveterate Angeleno

You know, I've really come to respect and appreciate Century City for what it is. I no longer lament the fact that it's a postmodern wasteland of sprawling office complexes flanked by highways. That doesn't mean we can't/shouldn't make it more ped-friendly though.

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Jan 16, 2013, 2:07 AM
Inveterate Angeleno

^^ From this to that. Which do you guys like better?

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Jan 16, 2013, 2:08 AM
Paramoderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westsidelife View Post
You know, I've really come to respect and appreciate Century City for what it is. I no longer lament the fact that it's a postmodern wasteland of sprawling office complexes flanked by highways. That doesn't mean we can't/shouldn't make it more ped-friendly though.
Century City is actually about as modernist as you can get. The entire place epitomizes the modernist ideal of social control and mass planned cities.

But anyways, great to see the thing approved. I actually like the previous design a little better, but it's so hard to tell what the building will look like with the renders they are putting out that it really doesn't matter.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2013, 2:13 AM
Inveterate Angeleno

^ The older design complements the Century Plaza Hotel better, but at the same time, it looks too much like an updated version of the adjacent Century (both oval-shaped).

The newer design looks bolder, but it appears they've gotten rid of the central plaza.

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Jan 16, 2013, 4:13 AM

im ok with either one. i like the previous version slightly more

Old Posted Jan 16, 2013, 6:06 PM

Jealous of the quality of architecture you guys are getting out west.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2013, 6:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westsidelife View Post
^^ From this to that. Which do you guys like better?

I think I preferred this earlier version, only because of of the similarity to (and their configuration in relation to) the Century. The three towers created a cool, uniform crescent.

However, I do like the new design. Their triangular, inward-facing form mirrors the twins across the street nicely. I applaud the developers for -- both in the old and the new designs -- being conscious of their surroundings, and trying to make their buildings relate in a pleasing way. Similar story with the MGM Building and SunAmerica Center. It's that sort of cohesiveness that Downtown lacks (although DTLA obviously has the edge when it comes to historical buildings), and for me Century City is more pleasing to the eye as a result.

Now if only we could get the height restrictions raised for even one or two buildings to break up that plateau, and I think Angelenos would start to realize they've got a pretty sweet "Midtown" skyline of their own.

Also, there was another Century City skyscraper proposed a while back (not the Westfield building) that was going to be super green, and of comparable scale to SunAmerica, etc. But I haven't been able to find anything about it since. Does anyone know what it's called, or if it's still in the works? Thanks!

Old Posted Jan 16, 2013, 6:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshallKnight View Post
Also, there was another Century City skyscraper proposed a while back (not the Westfield building) that was going to be super green, and of comparable scale to SunAmerica, etc. But I haven't been able to find anything about it since. Does anyone know what it's called, or if it's still in the works? Thanks!
Nevermind, found it. 10131 W. Constellation. Between that, Westfield and these Plaza towers, Century City is on some under-the-radar fire.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2013, 7:27 PM
Ascension

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshallKnight View Post
Nevermind, found it. 10131 W. Constellation. Between that, Westfield and these Plaza towers, Century City is on some under-the-radar fire.
^ I think this is the one you are talking about.

http://i56.tinypic.com/nq4vwh.jpg

http://i53.tinypic.com/s4qvy0.jpg

10000 Santa Monica Blvd is also proposed. It's a Jean Novel design. No one really knows the status of this. Last summer, there was a lot of heavy equipment digging on site but nothing else came of it.

http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/e..._notnouvel.jpg

Before the recession, 10000 Santa Monica Blvd looked very different.

http://www.argentmanagementllc.com/i...-boulevard.jpg

http://www.bustler.net/images/upload..._awards_32.jpg

http://assets.inhabitat.com/wp-conte...reenblade1.jpg

Old Posted Jan 16, 2013, 8:59 PM

It's 2013.... The old hotel is not aesthetically pleasing and the old windows look like a wall of magnifying glass that's wasting air conditioning. The concept of two towers should be combined as ONE massive tower, with a wider "crescent" shaped base and up to 75+ stories.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2013, 9:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeHundred View Post
10000 Santa Monica Blvd is also proposed. It's a Jean Novel design. No one really knows the status of this. Last summer, there was a lot of heavy equipment digging on site but nothing else came of it.

http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/e..._notnouvel.jpg
Whoa. I hope that one's still alive. I think that and the previously mentioned 10131 Constellation complement each other nicely too, with their funky, angular geometry.

In any case, the added density from all these potential towers can only be good for CC. I just hope that each of these new projects brings something to the Avenue of the Stars streetscape like these twin towers are proposing to do. It does look like they've removed the plaza between them, though, doesn't it?

Old Posted Jan 16, 2013, 9:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diaperdawg View Post
It's 2013.... The old hotel is not aesthetically pleasing and the old windows look like a wall of magnifying glass that's wasting air conditioning. The concept of two towers should be combined as ONE massive tower, with a wider "crescent" shaped base and up to 75+ stories.
I think we'd all love a really tall tower, but (and others surely know the details better than I do) the height restrictions in Century City are, well, pretty restricting. Hence the plateau. Changing that would the support of a lot of wealthy NIMBY Westsiders -- the same people who would de-rail and re-route the subway project because it passes under their high school.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive