HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Nov 28, 2007, 9:01 PM
None...

Why do developers insist on hiring Gehry?

Old Posted Nov 29, 2007, 1:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayrider View Post
Maybe because his achitectural firm is based in LA and maybe because they like the Walt Disney Concert Hall across the street?

Old Posted Nov 29, 2007, 7:03 PM

That is hideous.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2007, 7:16 PM
Ascension

Youu know, Bunker Hill is the Acropolis of Downtown Los Angeles and this project could very well be it's 'Parthenon.'

Old Posted Nov 30, 2007, 9:49 AM
Inveterate Angeleno

Quote:
It's only for the first phase.

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Dec 4, 2007, 4:38 AM
Inveterate Angeleno

Work Begins At Grand Avenue Project Site

By Rico
December 3, 2007

Though demolition won’t occur until February 7th’s groundbreaking event, today marks a historic point in the evolution of Downtown Los Angeles. The tinker-toy parking structure on the site of the Grand Avenue Project “The Grand” is now closed to vehicles, and a green construction fence surrounds the lot.

Site activities over the next two months will include soil sampling, demolition engineering, geological testing and construction coordination. Jurors, government employees and tourists should take the subway to the Civic Center metro station or be prepared to research alternative parking options beforehand.

The Related Cos. is developing the Frank Gehry-designed project. More photos of the project site here.

Previous coverage and project details.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Source: angelenic: downtown los angeles

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Dec 4, 2007, 5:15 AM
BANNED

Quote:
because he's marketable to the idiot masses and he's the best this soul-less nation can muster.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2008, 3:17 AM
Inveterate Angeleno

$3 Billion Predicament: Grand Avenue Project Delayed

By Rich Alossi
January 11, 2008

The $3 billion Grand Avenue Project, being developed by New York-based Related Cos., has been delayed. Official groundbreaking is being pushed back to summer at the earliest, according to a company representative we spoke with today.

Site prep work continues, however, as the tinkertoy structure is being tested for demolition engineering purposes.

The official word on the delay is that “some key folks had conflicts with the timing.” Key folks, eh?

Blogdowntown recently reported on the Concrete Frequency symposium with Frank Gehry, designer of the project’s first phase, in which the outspoken architect openly criticized the project’s funding. Gehry contends that “Money is not available and the developer is in denial.” This would seem to fit in perfectly with Mr. Gehry’s allegation.

With an unsteady market and construction costs that have climbed by over $1 billion since last year, this latest delay is unfortunate but hardly a surprise. However, it’s regrettable that Downtown has to pay the price of keeping another deadzone in our still-struggling Civic Center.

Previous Coverage

-Work Begins at Grand Avenue Project Site
-New Grand Avenue Renderings

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Source: angelenic

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Jan 12, 2008, 5:27 AM

I just can't help but to think, LA has some major issues. I've said it before but it's true. Whereas other big cities are moving forward with a ton of highrises, LA is just stuck. Seems like every big project we have, is either trying to get approval, or is approved, yet delayed. I'm so sick of hearing about delays and I hear about it in LA more than anywhere else.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2008, 7:07 PM

I totally agree. It shouldn't be this hard to urbanize Downtown, regardless if we are an earthquake-prone area or not.

The approval process here is a joke.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2008, 3:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDan35 View Post
I just can't help but to think, LA has some major issues. I've said it before but it's true. Whereas other big cities are moving forward with a ton of highrises, LA is just stuck. Seems like every big project we have, is either trying to get approval, or is approved, yet delayed. I'm so sick of hearing about delays and I hear about it in LA more than anywhere else.
I feel the same way too. It seems that all the other world cities and many of America's big cities are passing by L.A. in terms of urban development. L.A. seems to be a far cry now from the "city of the future" as it was called before.

L.A. wasn't like this before. Just 18 years ago, L.A. was having tons of skyscraper development, dramatically changing downtown L.A.'s skyline.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2008, 5:52 AM

I usually just ignore deconstructivism, hoping the ego trip fad will go away, but this is worse than usual.

The towers themselves actually aren't horrible, but what is that caveman/tree fort/junkyard base? Do starchitects realize what their designs look like to "normal" people?

Old Posted Jan 16, 2008, 10:07 AM

We can only hope it was just not fully thought through at that point. I doubt Related would stand for it to be left like that.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2008, 2:49 PM

I am not a Gehry fan but it will be a very unique and interesting place with his concert hall and buildings together. It will look like no other place on earth.

-Galileo Galilei

Old Posted Jan 16, 2008, 6:38 PM

What is sad is that anti-urbanizationists seem to use the "Historical Landmark" ordinance often for the WRONG reason as an excuse not to build taller. Because of that, our skyline is crooked in places where it shouldn't be!
Only a few blocks away from the tallest building are single story structures that are declared "Historical Landmarks"!

It pisses me off!

Old Posted Jan 17, 2008, 4:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDRCRASH View Post
What is sad is that anti-urbanizationists seem to use the "Historical Landmark" ordinance often for the WRONG reason as an excuse not to build taller. Because of that, our skyline is crooked in places where it shouldn't be!
Only a few blocks away from the tallest building are single story structures that are declared "Historical Landmarks"!

It pisses me off!
Let's preserve a little of our history. With the possible exception of Hong Kong or certain portions of New York City, I have yet to see a city that did not have lots of non-historic parking lots, single story and low-rise buildings that could be torn down for new high rises. When our cities are full of 60 story buildings all the way out to the suburbs then we can consider destroying historic buildings for new development.

-Galileo Galilei

Old Posted Jan 17, 2008, 5:06 PM

I have no problem with preserving buildings; it's important to preserve icons such as the "Felix the Cat" sign; it's when they get out of hand is when I don't like it.

They need to get creative, like creating a little a historic park completely surrounding the sign.

Or look at the new enviro-friendly Foster Biulding in New York City; they built the structure above the existing Historic building!!! I could never have thought of that!

Old Posted Jan 17, 2008, 9:23 PM
HERO

this stuff is aweful, i feel bad for LA having to deal with a toy land looking ugly bunch of weird buildings.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2008, 2:16 AM
FlyyyFALiiFe

WWW.LA.CURBED.COM

Related: Grand Avenue's Work Schedule Hasn't Changed
Thursday, January 17, 2008, by Dakota

2008.01.grandrep.jpg Today, LAist.com posted on Grand Avenue, citing those negative comments made by Frank Gehry and the ground-breaking push back news. We asked Related's press rep for an update on the project, and specifically asked about the ground-breaking push back. Here's their statement: "The preliminary date for a groundbreaking ceremony is being revised due to the personal schedules of several key participants. The project’s work schedule hasn’t changed. We still plan to begin demolition of the garage in February.

"The schedule of the groundbreaking is symbolic and built around availability of multiple participants. It has little to do with the actual schedule. The total construction schedule is still about 45 months from now, and that hasn’t changed.”
· Nobody holds a press conference when it's bad news [LAist.com]

Old Posted Jan 19, 2008, 2:35 PM
Back from the dead

What a terrible, terrible looking building. Maybe if they got rid of the multi-coloured puke all over it or decided to change the massing in some way it would be a better project. Right now though, according to the renderings, that's the kind of building that people are going to mistake for a run-down rat's nest two years after it's built.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive