HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Jan 31, 2023, 6:57 PM

Port San Antonio moving on plans for 'iconic' office tower

SABJ 01/31/23
W. Scott Bailey

Port San Antonio moving on plans for 'iconic' office tower

High demand for limited space at the former military base is driving the push for the multistory structure.

Port San Antonio’s plan to add a roughly 300,000-square-foot office tower as part of the ongoing redevelopment of the former military base southwest of downtown has reached a critical point.

Port officials have issued a request for proposals for prospective designers and builders for a structure that could house multiple tenants, including DeLorean Motor Co.’s San Antonio headquarters, and are now moving to identify potential project partners.

“We're in the process of reviewing the submissions now,” Port San Antonio President and CEO Jim Perschbach said. “I suspect it's going to be teams that are put together that are coming in to put the building together.”

Perschbach first shared with the Business Journal last spring plans for the tower. Despite the impact the pandemic has had on the office market, Port San Antonio officials insist there is a heightened demand for space on the campus, enough to fill the planned tower.

Perschbach is hopeful a design/build team is identified within the next few months and that work on the project can begin before the end of the year.

“There's an awful lot of complexity in terms of down selecting, negotiating the deal and putting it all together,” Perschbach said.

Port San Antonio officials insist the campus is at a pivotal inflection point, gaining more critical mass in the cybersecurity and aerospace industries and more interest from other potential suitors too. Perschbach said that activity opens to the door for port officials to court complimentary companies and industries, such as engineering and accounting firms, even additional headquarters operations. That’s going to require more space.

“We're sitting on a campus where we're pretty close to a 0% vacancy level. But we've got people knocking on our door. We've got a waitlist for what's on the campus already,” Perschbach said, noting that turning those interested parties — and jobs — away isn’t good business.

The hope is that the tower will draw more companies, jobs and economic activity to the port, complementing other key anchors, including the newly named Boeing Center at Tech Port arena, as part of a larger reimagination of the 1,900-acre campus.

“We want an iconic building that becomes the gateway, the front door for the campus, the signature for what we're doing.” Perschbach said

Old Posted Feb 1, 2023, 3:05 PM

300k sqft is probably gonna end up being in the 10-15 story range im guessing?

Still would rather see corporate stuff like this happen in the DT area (or with a building this size, the pearl/lower broadway) but I guess if they have a long term plan for this area then why not.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2023, 3:31 PM

Puff piece IMO.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2023, 5:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theOGalexd View Post
300k sqft is probably gonna end up being in the 10-15 story range im guessing?

Still would rather see corporate stuff like this happen in the DT area (or with a building this size, the pearl/lower broadway) but I guess if they have a long term plan for this area then why not.
I agree with this, but I'm sure there is some level of incentive(s) to develop in this area not already presented.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2023, 11:28 AM

Yes they get incentives on the port with the private airport right there and I think it’s essentially tax free because of it being a former military base there is a period of time afterwards that their are big tax breaks to companies that locate within the former base.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2023, 3:32 AM

Private airport? That's an active dual use military/civilian runway and complex, similar to Charleston AFB/Charleston Int'l Airport.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2023, 2:23 PM
COGSADCAJA- Publicist

Quote:
Originally Posted by futuresooner View Post
Private airport? That's an active dual use military/civilian runway and complex, similar to Charleston AFB/Charleston Int'l Airport.
IDK about y'all but my private airport has C-17s landing on it constantly.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2023, 7:18 PM

Port San Antonio unveils design for futuristic office tower it says will be an icon f

SA Express News
Eric Killelea

Port San Antonio on Thursday unveiled plans for a futuristic wing-shaped office tower aimed at attracting new tenants and solidifying its status as  the region’s largest technology center.

“This is a building that looks like nothing else on the planet and the final is going to look even cooler than this,” said Jim Perschbach, president and CEO of the Port. “We want it to be shorthand, not just for the Port, but for San Antonio.”

The Port’s 10-member Board of Directors approved a nearly $2 million agreement with Dallas-based real estate firm Trammell Crow Company to complete pre-development work for a new structure, which is expected to house DeLorean Motor Co. and other tenants at the main entrance of the former Kelly Air Force Base. 

Over the next few months, the Port will negotiate an agreement with Trammell Crow and work with Pelli Clarke and Partners, a design architect in Connecticut, on the development’s final design.

Perschbach told the board that the tower could be from 12 to 15 stories and include at least 300,000 square feet of space for current and new tenants.

“Right now, we have the very enviable position of having more demand than we have space for,” he said. “We also wanted to continue to drive the real and perceived value of this campus.”

Displaying new renderings of the tower, he said it will serve as a symbol of the tech and science work being pursued at the Port, which now has more than 80 tenants and 17,000 employees. He said the goal is to replace the former Air Force base’s infrastructure “painted creech brown” with new buildings that are more reflective of its current workforce.

In an interview before the board meeting, Perschbach said the pre-development phase will determine the exact size and cost for what will become the first office tower in Southwest San Antonio. 

“It will be in all likelihood on a per-square-foot basis the most expensive building in San Antonio on par with some of the nicest buildings being built in big cities across the country,” he said. “We don’t have a problem pushing toward what will be some of the highest rents in San Antonio, because we want to attract people who are willing to compensate people at a level commensurate with those rents.”

Perschbach acknowledged there is a possibility that the Port's board could decide the tower isn’t feasible during the pre-development phase. 

“I would be shocked if that happens,” he added, describing how the board of directors would vote again after the pre-development period to determine whether they want to proceed.

Perschbach declined to name expected tenants other than DeLorean. An earlier iteration of the Port's plans included providing a space for the reborn automaker, which is establishing its new headquarters in San Antonio. Beyond DeLorean, he noted that “some of the usual suspects” in the aviation and technology industries could be at home in the tower, along with consulting, financial and law firms.

Rendering in the link below.
https://www.expressnews.com/business...edium=referral

Old Posted Apr 13, 2023, 7:51 PM

I love it. Totally different. Wish it were downtown but I'll take what I can get.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2023, 7:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chancla View Post
I love it. Totally different. Wish it were downtown but I'll take what I can get.
Same. SABJ has a side view of the tower, and it's just as impressive as the rest of the tower.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2023, 8:16 PM
constructor extrodinaire!

Wow. Just WOW. The Port is turning into something I never expected. The SABJ article has some other interesting tidbits about other development going on at The Port. Lots going on down there!

Old Posted Apr 13, 2023, 8:52 PM

This should be a separate thread considering it's not the DeLorean tower.

Perschbach said the tower will draw more companies and talent south of downtown and serve as a centerpiece for the port’s expanding role in advanced technologies. It could also provide a headquarters home for DeLorean Motor Co.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2023, 11:35 PM

I dig it.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2024, 5:17 PM

Safe to say that the plug can likely be pulled from this development, or at least with the company as a tenant.

https://sanantonioreport.org/delorea...-bexar-county/

Old Posted Mar 5, 2024, 7:06 PM

https://therealdeal.com/texas/san-an...-to-cost-300m/ The Real Deal

I'm surprised that Port SA only has a 4% vacancy rate.

I just don't know where financing is going to come from.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2024, 8:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkill34 View Post
From the article

Funding for the project will stem from debt and the port’s capital, with construction slated to commence in early 2025 and conclude within four years, the outlet said. Future plans for Port San Antonio call for additional office space, schools, restaurants, hotels and retail.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2024, 1:26 AM

The DeLorean Building should be built along the San Pedro Creek Culture Park in downtown San Antonio!!!

Old Posted Mar 6, 2024, 8:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkill34 View Post
https://therealdeal.com/texas/san-an...-to-cost-300m/ The Real Deal

I'm surprised that Port SA only has a 4% vacancy rate.

$300 million is a big price tag for a 11 story Class A office building and $50 sq ft rent is extremely high for government contractors who are on fixed rate contracts, and usually housed in Class B or C buildings.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2024, 9:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SproutingTowers View Post
$300 million is a big price tag for a 11 story Class A office building and $50 sq ft rent is extremely high for government contractors who are on fixed rate contracts, and usually housed in Class B or C buildings.
Agreed, this price tag is high for an 11 story building. Wasn't Weston Urban's tower in DT, worth about $120M? It's not like inflation has hit this hard.

I hope there is maybe multiple sturctures being built, rather than just the tower.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2024, 9:43 PM

Futuristic Office Tower- Port San Antonio

Here is the article from the website.
https://www.portsanantonio.us/Futuristic-Office-Tower
Futuristic Office Tower - Port San Antonio

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio