HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted Jul 1, 2021, 3:36 PM
TL;DR

Such a terrible article full of half-truths.

He trashes the long distance corridors (which are indeed unprofitable but politically necessary as part of a national network) while hand-waving away the successful and growing regional corridors that are state-supported in the Midwest, Virginia, North Carolina, etc.

He bags on California for the issues with the HSR program without mentioning the 30 years of successful investments that California has made in conventional rail.

No mention of Brightline, which is maybe the most revolutionary thing to happen to passenger rail in the US since the creation of Amtrak.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2021, 7:52 PM
Show me the blueprints

This Is Major

July 07, 2021

From Siemens: Amtrak’s Next-Gen Trainsets

Written by William C. Vantuono, Editor-in-Chief

A rendering of one of the new Amtrak trainsets to be built in the U.S. by Siemens Mobility. More formal design images will be released at a later date

Amtrak has awarded Siemens Mobility $3.4 billion in contracts to design, manufacture and provide technical support services and maintenance for 83 trainsets of two power configurations, with options for up to 130 additional trainsets. For Siemens, it is the company’s largest North American contract in history. For Amtrak, its total investment, with a long-term parts supply and service agreement, facility modifications and upgrades, and contingencies, is $7.3 billion. Deliveries are slated to commence in 2024.

The new equipment, which includes dual-power (AC catenary/diesel) locomotives and first-of-their-type Venture Hybrid battery trainsets,will operate on the Northeast Corridor, long distance Palmetto and various state-supported routes. It will replace Amtrak-owned Amfleet, Metroliner, and state-owned equipment on certain routes throughout the country. In addition to the Northeast Regional, other routes will include the Adirondack, Carolinian, Cascades, Downeaster, Empire Service, Ethan Allen Express, Keystone Service, Maple Leaf, New Haven/Springfield Service (Amtrak Hartford Line and Valley Flyer), Pennsylvanian, Vermonter and Virginia Services.

Trainsets for the Northeast Corridor and state-supported routes will be delivered from 2024 through 2030, while the Venture Hybrid battery trainsets will begin testing in 2025. Hybrid battery operation will be employed for the portion of the fleet used on New York State’s Empire Service.

Rest of story

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Jul 8, 2021, 8:10 PM

^So what happens to the old equipment? Does it get scrapped or relegated to third-tier operations like The Cardinal?

Old Posted Jul 8, 2021, 8:17 PM
Show me the blueprints

I would imagine no matter how many retired cars are sold to other users like excursion railroads or even out of the country(central/south America), I would guess the majority will still be scrapped. The oldest Amfleet coaches are nearly 50 years old. The Horizon cars are a bit newer, but early 1970s technology. I'd like to see anything over 30 years old, including Superliners, retired from service.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Jul 9, 2021, 4:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmecklenborg View Post
^So what happens to the old equipment? Does it get scrapped or relegated to third-tier operations like The Cardinal?
Since Amtrak cannot guarantee they'll have the cash available to exercise the option on any of the 130 extra train sets, while also attempting to expand the number of corridors, as part of their 2035 vision, they might mothball any Amfleet Is worth saving, as well as the Horizons and P42s, until the new corridors are ready to use them.

It also gives them some rolling stock in reserve to tap into when there's much greater demand, such as Thanksgiving.

Last edited by Mister Uptempo; Jul 9, 2021 at 4:40 AM.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2021, 5:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmecklenborg View Post
Actually, they will be retired. They will replace it. Yes, it is the older equipment. 50 years.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2021, 3:22 PM
Show me the blueprints

Old Posted Jul 10, 2021, 5:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
Quote:
The hybrid battery units designed for the Empire Corridor will utilize a diesel-electric ALC-42E locomotive, but rather than rely on third rail power they will be battery-powered. Instead of distributing battery power throughout the passenger coaches, a single dense battery auxiliary trailer will be coupled to the ALC-42E, a first of its kind in the United States.
It'll be a throwback to the old steam locomotives, but now the tender will be loaded with lithium instead of anthracite. Hauling that dead weight behind the loco will probably do wonders for performance.

One positive aspect to the design - when the batteries catch fire, they'll be isolated enough to allow passengers and crew to escape before the flames consume the entire train. Imagine what disaster could ensue if the battery trailer goes up in Penn Station.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2021, 5:55 PM
Show me the blueprints

My biggest worry is that this gives Amtrak even less urgency to expand electrification.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2021, 6:02 PM
Show me the blueprints

Old Posted Jul 10, 2021, 6:27 PM

^ Whatever you were trying to post, it is not available here in France.
Youtube are just annoying with their localization.
I don't even know what we're not supposed to see here, since French regulations have been quite lax, more so than in the US when it comes to broadcasting any stuff on social media.

Quote:
My biggest worry is that this gives Amtrak even less urgency to expand electrification.
Yeah, diesel locos are dangerously backward. We have almost none left in my country. Even most of the remote lines in the countryside have been electrified by now. It's like coal factories, too much CO2. They are getting banned once and for all here.

So far, they've relied on nuclear power and its nasty waste. But it's still easier to bury nuclear waste on deserted spots and put up signs saying - warning! nuclear waste down there in the subsoil! than to deal with excessive CO2 emissions.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2021, 8:13 PM
Show me the blueprints

Every time I embed a youtube video it fails. What am I doing wrong?

Old Posted Jul 10, 2021, 9:08 PM

Quote:
If this is the You Tube video URL-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YSjdywhSls
the only portion you need to include between [ YOUTUBE ] and [ /YOUTUBE ] is
5YSjdywhSls

Video Link

Old Posted Jul 10, 2021, 9:37 PM

Quote:
Every time I embed a youtube video it fails. What am I doing wrong?
Jesus, I can't believe it. That was actually your fault... Come on, you only have to look at what a random URL is made of (you've been using the internet for decades and still don't know about that) and learn how to use those bbcode markups.

People are scared of these things as if it was high level math. Well, it is not.
I don't get it. It's just some dumb syntax to quickly get familiar with.
There's no sorcery in there. You all guys can easily make it, huh.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2021, 9:49 PM
Show me the blueprints

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Uptempo View Post
If this is the You Tube video URL...
the only portion you need to include between [ YOUTUBE ] and [ /YOUTUBE ] is
5YSjdywhSls
Thank you!!

Old Posted Jul 10, 2021, 9:50 PM
Show me the blueprints

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousquet View Post
Jesus, I can't believe it. That was actually your fault... Come on, you only have to look at what a random URL is made of (you've been using the internet for decades and still don't know about that) and learn how to use those bbcode markups.

People are scared of these things as if it was high level math. Well, it is not.
I don't get it. It's just some dumb syntax to quickly get familiar with.
There's no sorcery in there. You all guys can easily make it, huh.
Get off your high horse Frenchie.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2021, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Get off your high horse Frenchie.
Hm, do you think so? Why should I? High horses feel good sometimes.
Bah, I'm just an impatient asshole. But I'm not just a "Frenchie".

You're right, though. A lot of people find us too arrogant and brutal.
I need to work hard on that, as for myself.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2021, 11:12 PM

Lightbulb

Amtrak retiring Sprinter locomotives not only makes him in the youtube link have a loss of words, I also can not believe it. Wonder why Amtrak wastes so much money, retiring electric locomotives and electric power trainsets prematurely while avoiding light weight multiple units entirely.
As long as Amtrak can feed off the public pork trough every other administration or two, expect to see more money in the future wasted.

The main advantage of the Siemens Venture cars for replacing Amfleet Is is that they do not need new locomotives to pull them on the NEC, there are plenty of Sprinter locomotives already on Amtrak's roster. Just add some new Charger locomotives to push-pull them in diesel territory. They can save lots of money not buying new power units within new lighter weight EMUs and DMUs trainsets. But throw that logical reason into the trash completely, because Amtrak will be buying new diesel electric locomotives anyways. ??????Huh??????

Electric and diesel powered locomotives without regenerative breaking are not going to provide 25-35% energy savings. They do not even save on O2 emissions in diesel territory without the 25-35% fuel savings. The Siemens Venture cars are not lighter in weight. Dual mode locomotives will not be lighter in weight. Diesel engines, power transformers, and batteries add to the train's weight, requiring more energy to accelerate and more energy (heat) into the air during braking. Seems like spending "more" money on Amtrak was more politically acceptable than spending money to make Amtrak "more" efficient. The engineers lost this debate folks.

It is more important for Biden's administration to spend more money on Amtrak than make Amtrak more efficient so it will spend less money in the future. Surprising!

Last edited by electricron; Jul 10, 2021 at 11:34 PM.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2021, 11:04 AM

Athens included as agencies pick route for Atlanta-to-Charlotte high-speed rail line

By Dave Williams
July 13, 2021
Athens Banner Herald

Image courtesy of the Athens Banner-Herald.

"ATLANTA — Federal and Georgia transportation planners are looking to run a high-speed rail line connecting Atlanta and Charlotte, N.C., via Athens.

The Federal Railroad Administration (FRA) and Georgia Department of Transportation, working with state transportation departments in North Carolina and South Carolina, have identified the 274-mile route as the “preferred corridor” for the Charlotte-to-Atlanta portion of a high-speed rail line that would continue northeast to Washington, D.C.

“The projected increases in population and economic growth for the Piedmont Atlantic Megaregion create a need for a carefully planned approach to improving rail infrastructure that will benefit Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina, the southeastern United States and the nation,” the FRA wrote in its final environmental impact report on the project released last week..."

https://www.onlineathens.com/story/n...ns/7956790002/

Old Posted Jul 15, 2021, 1:06 PM

A minor article from the Wall St. Journal - the comments are typical rail bashing.
https://www.wsj.com/articles/high-sp...=hp_lead_pos13

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation