HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted May 19, 2015, 7:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian_b View Post
It wont be that long. U of C is offering employee down payment assistance all the way up to I-55. There's a field house under construction at Ellis Park at 35th. A new pedestrian bridge also on 35th. Drive around the Kenwood historic district and you see evidence of a lot of interior renovations on the old mansions. A new Marianos on 39th. Infill here and there.

Lake Meadows and Michael Reese are the big questions and will probably be the final push.

Perceptions of safety are changing. I see women jogging alone on 31st street every day. Northsiders will be the last to know.
And there's no shortage of people biking down King Drive all the way to Hyde Park. The development is certainly in pockets but progress seems steady.

Old Posted May 19, 2015, 8:14 PM
BANNED

all that needs to happen is chinatown pushes east to the lake.

Old Posted May 29, 2015, 12:06 AM

Cool

City Hyde Park is T/O!

http://i.imgur.com/rHAQo4g.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/8lRT9h7.jpg

Looks like they are planning to be finished by November: http://i.imgur.com/X8F8T1h.jpg

Old Posted May 29, 2015, 12:28 AM
BANNED

that could use 4x the height added on.

Old Posted May 29, 2015, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanrule View Post
that could use 4x the height added on.
I'd be happy with 2x.

Old Posted May 29, 2015, 4:08 PM
Plenary pleasures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChickeNES View Post
City Hyde Park is T/O!

http://i.imgur.com/rHAQo4g.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/8lRT9h7.jpg

Looks like they are planning to be finished by November: http://i.imgur.com/X8F8T1h.jpg
This looks fantastic, thanks!

I have absolutely no problem with the height of this; if it was 2-4x taller, it may lose it's architectural uniqueness and start to resemble something like the massive New York building in Lakeview.

Plus, how is no one discussing the amazing and uninterrupted floor-to-ceiling glass?? It's pretty common nowadays, but the layout/design looks great here. The north views towards DT must be incredible.

Old Posted May 29, 2015, 7:46 PM

I love the simple functionality and visual rhythm of that interlocking concrete. Especially on those angles. I imagine it provides a level of privacy for one side while opening up the view for other. Has anyone seen floor plans for this? I'm wondering if that was taken advantage of in the unit layouts.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2015, 7:21 AM

North Campus Residences

06/01/15
After exiting the Chicago Harbor Locks

Old Posted Jun 2, 2015, 3:34 PM
you know where I'll be

^ Nice! Thanks for these!!

Old Posted Jun 2, 2015, 3:36 PM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
It wont be that long. U of C is offering employee down payment assistance all the way up to I-55. There's a field house under construction at Ellis Park at 35th. A new pedestrian bridge also on 35th. Drive around the Kenwood historic district and you see evidence of a lot of interior renovations on the old mansions. A new Marianos on 39th. Infill here and there.

Lake Meadows and Michael Reese are the big questions and will probably be the final push.

Perceptions of safety are changing. I see women jogging alone on 31st street every day. Northsiders will be the last to know.

Oh geez - U of C is offering employee down payment assistance all over the near-mid south side.....why didn't you just say so earlier!? So, it will be like 6 months then!

Guys, it's going to be a long, long work in progress (yet there will indeed be progress!) - but most importantly, do please keep at least your short pants on in the meantime......

Old Posted Jun 3, 2015, 5:51 AM

Quote:
Drive around the Kenwood historic district and you see evidence of a lot of interior renovations on the old mansions. A new Marianos on 39th. Infill here and there.
There's a fair amount of renovation going on in the Kenwood landmark district. Some very pricey projects, too. This one's getting new levels for $485,000.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2015, 3:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevevance View Post
There's a fair amount of renovation going on in the Kenwood landmark district. Some very pricey projects, too. This one's getting new levels for $485,000.
Nice - there's also been a fair amount of new construction homes in Bronzeville the last few years too.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2015, 4:49 AM

Looks like Vue53 is really moving. I noticed the base of the tower crane in place this evening.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2015, 4:55 PM

New picture and update about City Hyde Park:
http://hpherald.com/2015/06/24/city-...-moving-on-up/

Also, I like this close up view of the front of Vue53, which I hadn't seen before:
http://www.multihousingnews.com/news...004122950.html

Old Posted Jul 20, 2015, 3:29 PM

Cool

Quote:
New Hotel for 53rd Street To Be Announced by University of Chicago
By Sam Cholke | July 17, 2015 8:11am
The University of Chicago will announce plans for a new hotel to go on a 53rd Street parking lot at a July 28 meeting. Ald. Leslie Hairston (5th) will host a meeting at 6 p.m. July 28 at the Booth School of Business, 5807 S. Woodlawn Ave. to detail plans for the hotel.

The university is describing the project as “boutique hotel” to be built on a 53rd Street parking lot at 1411 E. 53rd St., but is releasing few details ahead of the meeting.

Those briefed on the project said it will feature a restaurant on the ground floor and a patio area on the Dorchester Avenue side of the building.
http://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/20150...ity-of-chicago

Old Posted Jul 20, 2015, 6:27 PM
The City

^. Awesome!

Old Posted Jul 20, 2015, 6:56 PM

Interested in hearing others' thoughts on this question, particularly those who have seen long-stalled projects revived before.

Should we expect significant redesign/refinement of Studio Gang's design for Solstice on the Park if it is being brought to life?

Old Posted Jul 20, 2015, 11:46 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
^. Awesome!
Yeah this is really great. It's one of the last "missing teeth" on that stretch of 53rd between the IC tracks and Vue53.

It may be for the best that the U of C is sponsoring all this redevelopment and closing the gap financially on these projects. Often when redevelopment is led by the private sector, the neighborhood has to go through years of gentrification before prices rise enough to allow for significant new construction like this. Wicker Park is seeing significant new midrise construction right now of the TOD variety, plus a new hotel in the Coyote building, but it's definitely pretty gentrified there.

However, 53rd is seeing midrise infill construction like Wicker Park right now, even though the land values aren't nearly at the same level. E.g. a Wicker Park condo off Milwaukee will sell for 50% more per SF than a Hyde Park condo off 53rd. Yes, this new project isn't residential, and neither was Harper Court, but as a statement about land values in the neighborhood I think it holds true.

Last edited by ardecila; Jul 20, 2015 at 11:57 PM.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2015, 3:58 AM

They've started painting the concrete on City Hyde Park, and it looks pretty sweet:

http://i.imgur.com/JhxNksi.jpg

I forgot to take a picture, but at the Vue53 site they have roughly a third to half of the first floor columns poured, and it appears they are now setting up the forms for some of the ground floor walls.

On a smaller scale, I noticed that there is a new billboard for a 3 flat condo building right north of the Starbucks at 55th/Woodlawn. I think this was a project that died during the crash and is now being revived. If I get a chance I'll snap a picture of it.

Last edited by ChickeNES; Jul 21, 2015 at 4:15 AM.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2015, 4:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithakas View Post
Interested in hearing others' thoughts on this question, particularly those who have seen long-stalled projects revived before.

Should we expect significant redesign/refinement of Studio Gang's design for Solstice on the Park if it is being brought to life?
I would guess at least some, since current rumblings suggest that it will either be partially or fully hotel. The strangest thing is that there was a new billboard for it a few months back that I saw in passing, but when I went to take a picture it had been removed...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development