HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction

Old Posted Oct 21, 2018, 6:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Same - though luckily there's 2 small towers at the corner of Harrison & Wells U/C right now. That's kind of like a small consolation right? Nonetheless, they need to get the others in. I'd bet that if Chicago won the HQ2 sweepstakes and they chose either OPO or the 78 that you'd see another tower kick off pretty soon after.
That's been exactly how I've been trying to view it. The Harrison and Wells site is just a pseudo continuation of the Riverline project in my eyes so it'll keep that area a buzz with construction probably long enough to tide over this time between towers.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2018, 7:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronWright View Post
It's frustrating that developers in Chicago always choose to build multi-tower projects in phases from smallest to tallest with long intervals in between. I'm hoping One Chicago Square and 400 N. LSD build simultaneously. I doubt that is their intentions however. The 78 will likely end up being a 20+ year process like Lakeshore East.
The 78 is definitely going to be a long process even if Amazon comes it'll take more than a decade to be built, but with those two proposals you mentioned, I know they already said that OCS is being built all at once(should start early next year) and 400N LSD is going to be a two phase process with the smaller one being built first over the old foundation(as of now that is the plan at least).

Old Posted Oct 21, 2018, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonoboZill4 View Post
The 78 is definitely going to be a long process even if Amazon comes it'll take more than a decade to be built, but with those two proposals you mentioned, I know they already said that OCS is being built all at once(should start early next year) and 400N LSD is going to be a two phase process with the smaller one being built first over the old foundation(as of now that is the plan at least).
Yes. My office has been at Hudson Yards for nearly 3 years now (one of the already existing buildings) and they still have a long way to go. There's 2 towers being built near me that began foundation work not that long ago. It's a far cry from what it was 3 years ago, but still a bit to go. It feels like they're on an expedited schedule, but honestly it feels like they're still 3-5 years from being done with everything. The 78 is about equal in size as far as square footage of buildings and what not goes, so even on expedited schedule, I think it would take at least a decade.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2018, 2:06 AM

Curbed reported both towers at 400 LSD would break ground simultaneously.

https://chicago.curbed.com/2018/5/16...te-skyscrapers

Old Posted Oct 24, 2018, 10:10 PM

Oct 13

From X-Chicago [OHC]

Oct 22

Old Posted Oct 25, 2018, 1:40 AM

The second, third, and fourth pictures... Amazing stuff Harry(as always)

Old Posted Oct 27, 2018, 6:01 AM
1st Ward

I used to think the same about the view of the skyline from the south west, but I've grown to appreciate just how goddamn imposing the Sears looks, lording over the rest of the skyline. It also is oddly pleasing to see such a tall peak centered almost perfectly with buildings getting shorter the further away from the center they get.

That said, SB 90/94 and SB LSD compete for best skyline view, IMO.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2018, 5:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by left of center View Post
I used to think the same about the view of the skyline from the south west, but I've grown to appreciate just how goddamn imposing the Sears looks, lording over the rest of the skyline. It also is oddly pleasing to see such a tall peak centered almost perfectly with buildings getting shorter the further away from the center they get.

That said, SB 90/94 and SB LSD compete for best skyline view, IMO.
I still hold strong to the view from the Orange line between Roosevelt and Halsted is best.

I'd say the ugliest view is coming back to the city from O'hare. City looks all clumped together and awkward(during the day). At night, the skyline is always nice from anywhere.

The way the South Loop is developing though makes me so much more excited about my favorite view, being that is can only get better, thanks to projects like this one and the 78!

Old Posted Oct 27, 2018, 5:29 PM

When I was going to UIC the new dorm at roosevelt/halsted on the top floor has a very unique view.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2018, 6:25 PM

Quote:
I still hold strong to the view from the Orange line between Roosevelt and Halsted is best.

I'd say the ugliest view is coming back to the city from O'hare. City looks all clumped together and awkward(during the day). At night, the skyline is always nice from anywhere.
Uhhh, what? The view from the NW is the flip of the classic Shedd angle. It's by far the most spread out angle, where are you coming up with "clumped together"?

Old Posted Oct 27, 2018, 6:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
Uhhh, what? The view from the NW is the flip of the classic Shedd angle. It's by far the most spread out angle, where are you coming up with "clumped together"?
Yes, and the inverse of a crescent view(like that coming from the Shedd) is that of an arrow(aka more clumped together). Again, this is just my personal opinion and how it looks to me.

There is much more depth and architectural/color/height variation from the Planetarium/Shedd view as well. Additionally you can see buildings stretching from OMP to the Hancock. From Ohare it's basically Hancock to Sears, plus all that beige from the North is just unappealing to me personally, and that gets blocked out from the South, Southwest, and Southeast.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2018, 9:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronWright View Post
From a photography aspect the view from the north, Lincoln Park/Lakeview looking south is hard to beat. I've seen certain views that capture what looks like miles and miles of China-like density that crescendos to a massive downtown looming in the background. One Bennett Park and Wanda have added greatly to this particular view.
Yep, the view from the pier thingy at North Avenue Beach is absolutely amazing, although I think I've seen it so many times in movies and pictures that the view from the North is just a little played out for now. And again, I'm just making personal opinion based statements here. People can disagree with me if they want. That's what makes vistas and panoramas fun, the fact they are all different and have their various advantages and disadvantages!

Anyway, feel free to remove my comments mods, because I know this has gotten extremely far off topic Just having some fun

Old Posted Dec 1, 2018, 5:51 AM

I drove by this evening and it appeared they started working on a new portion on the very northeastern portion of the tract

Old Posted Dec 1, 2018, 5:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTx2Chi View Post
I drove by this evening and it appeared they started working on a new portion on the very northeastern portion of the tract
If it is right on the intersection of Harrison & Wells, then that's not Riverline. It's Alta Grand Central, which has been U/C for a few months. 2 buildings of 14 stories each - 350 total residential units.

https://chicago.curbed.com/2018/6/5/...-grand-central

Old Posted Jan 1, 2019, 1:24 AM

Dec 17

Old Posted Jan 1, 2019, 9:46 PM

Awesome update there Harry! They are doing some great work with the shoreline there already, and it appears they are getting ready for the next couple towers from the way the land leveling looks.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2019, 8:45 PM

Quote:
Awesome update there Harry! They are doing some great work with the shoreline there already, and it appears they are getting ready for the next couple towers from the way the land leveling looks.
They can get the land leveling readying, but I kind of doubt they will build the next tower that soon. I don't think the leasing in Cooper is going well if you visit their site. I live on the high floor of nearby building. At night, there are just a few units with light on even though they had their first occupancy since September.

Plus, several rental apartments are due to completion this year. We are talking about probably more than 2000 new units in South Loop alone. It will require time to digest. So I doubt the developer of South Bank project will be in a hurry for next towers.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2019, 1:57 AM

March 6

March 10

Old Posted Mar 15, 2019, 2:23 AM

Riverline - Riverwalk

March 6

Old Posted Mar 15, 2019, 2:46 AM

Thanks for the update, Harry! Very excited for this stretch of the riverwalk.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction