HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Apr 18, 2018, 10:44 PM
Ω

Quote:
Originally Posted by patriotizzy View Post
I don't get the impression that too much is going on. What exactly is too much here?

Imo there are just too many materials/textures/elements. Imo the one I dislike most is the staggered multi-color stone facade element. That would look better if it matched the simpler metal facade.

The staggered ceiling recesses also clash with the staggered facade. They just aren't in harmony.

I like the chrome column and glass walls. I actually like a lot of these elements individually - but all together they just don't flow. This is just my subjective opinion, of course.

Ronan was actually a professor at my undergrad. Never took his studio though. Didn't know this was his. I usually love his stuff. He has a very clean, refined aesthetic. See the Poetry Foundation in Chicago. So this is kind of surprising.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2018, 6:25 AM

the shiny metal column, the atrocious stone "pattern" cladding at the base... yeah this one is a major misfire i wonder what happened. i think we were all expecting something at least refined from Ronan but... ugh no such luck.

"Helmut Jahn has never suffered a failure of nerve."

Old Posted Apr 21, 2018, 3:58 PM
1st Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21C CHI>LA View Post
we appreciate this type of attitude "breaking the rules" attitude in rock and rap, why not architecture?
bigger budgets and "dream" clients don't happen everyday.
i would have to think, yes, this building is WAY BETTER THAN THE WALGREEN'S (a recurrent theme here). so get over it.
and better than the bashing it's being given on this thread. so architect ronan, take it on the chin, dust yourself off and live to fight another day.
Breaking the rules is great and all (I don't see this building doing that?), but a rock or rap song that's a jumbled mess and doesn't go anywhere logically or stylistically doesn't make for a good, or even listenable, song. Same goes with architecture.

Yes, this building is better than the old two story Walgreens that was here. But almost anything else would have been quantitatively better than that previous use, that doesn't mean we have to settle for a dumpster fire of an office tower simply because it crossed the threshold of a bar that's been set very low.

I don't know about you, but I'm not simply happy to settle for whatever blasé design happens to ride into town. This is Chicago, not Topeka. We can and should be critical of architecture that does not contribute to or meet the standards of the city's rich architectural heritage.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2018, 4:41 PM

Ok the patterned stone was a bad choice that clashes with the rest of the otherwise large seamless single color surfaces. The round column makes a lot more sense with rounded corners on the building which I'm guessing were VE'd. Otherwise it's a fantastic design. I think the cutout at the entrance that mirrors the park and overhang of the building to the west is really smart. Ronan is a fantastic architect but this design is not his best work.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2018, 8:23 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by dropdeaded209 View Post
the shiny metal column, the atrocious stone "pattern" cladding at the base... yeah this one is a major misfire i wonder what happened. i think we were all expecting something at least refined from Ronan but... ugh no such luck.
Refined? Not really the first word I'd use to describe Ronan's work.

Most people know the Poetry Foundation because it's downtown, and that one is pretty refined for obvious reasons, but most of his buildings are on the South Side and look like this... all brightly colored and funky, with syncopated rhythms and textures. The entry at CNA Center is exactly the kind of thing Ronan does, it just uses an office-building language of granite, brushed aluminum and glass.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2018, 10:23 PM

Ever since the rounded corners got VE'd, I had been been rather meh about this tower. Every time I would walk past, it disappeared. It only reflected the sky and buildings around it.

Walked past about two weeks ago and the lobby changed my mind. It's interesting at street level. No gem but no dog either.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2018, 2:31 AM
Chicago

April 19, 2018

Old Posted Apr 28, 2018, 12:56 PM

April 27

Not a morning building - I will have to get back in the afternoon.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2018, 1:10 PM
The City

The ground level is turning out decent, at least

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Apr 29, 2018, 1:57 PM

I hate to say it but this base turned out like garbage.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive