HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Oct 25, 2022, 6:27 AM
Portage & Main 50 below

Also, from downtown Winnipeg....at least everyone is comfy. Thanks, Brian Bowman, for encouraging people to live at bus stops.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2022, 6:30 AM
Portage & Main 50 below

Old Posted Oct 25, 2022, 12:24 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only The Lonely.. View Post
We deserve the shitty downtown that we have.
we need vision and leadership

Old Posted Oct 25, 2022, 1:26 PM

Tell us how you really feel

Old Posted Oct 25, 2022, 1:31 PM

Quote:
This city sucks so much.

I can't believe it!

I moved back from Seattle, went to a Jets game, and parked at Portage Place...

Had cigars and drinks afterward at Thomas Hinds (totally awesome lounge, piano playing, cigar smoking..something you would see in downtown Chicago)

And all the doors to the skywalk and associated buildings were closed afterward.

Took a cab to Wolseley and will have to come back tomorrow to pay the overnight fee at Portage Place.

I am really beginning to hate Winnipeg and I live in the inner city in a 110 year old house.

Seriously, fuck this place.

It sucks!
Luckily Seattle is absolutely crime and poverty free!!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homelessness_in_Seattle

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle...30-years-back/

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle...lide-on-crime/

Seriously if "the doors were locked" rates a "fuck this place", you might need to gain a little perspective.

"Naysayers are always predicting the present"-Anon.

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength"-Eric Hoffer

Old Posted Oct 25, 2022, 1:33 PM

Quote:
God help anyone who sits on that couch... hope they like bedbugs

Old Posted Oct 25, 2022, 1:47 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
This city sucks so much.

I can't believe it!

Had cigars and drinks afterward at Thomas Hinds (totally awesome lounge, piano playing, cigar smoking..something you would see in downtown Chicago)

And all the doors to the skywalk and associated buildings were closed afterward.

Took a cab to Wolseley and will have to come back tomorrow to pay the overnight fee at Portage Place.

I am really beginning to hate Winnipeg and I live in the inner city in a 110 year old house.

It sucks!
Since you were out to drink and smoke after the game, it's probably best you didn't drive home anyway.

Next time, save some $$ and walk to the Jets game. I live in Wolseley (116 year old house - FTW!) and walk to just about every game.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2022, 1:52 PM

When I was in university I worked at a bar in the inner city and was always amazed at how many people drove to the bar. A coworker had worked at a bar in Toronto and said he never had to think about people driving home as much as here. I get that in lots of wealthier winnipeg neighbourhoods there are no restaurants or bars in walking distance but still, take a cab or Uber if you’re going to live that far away.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2022, 1:56 PM

Or park for free on one of the many side streets that are a short walk away from the rink.

I get being pissed about not being able to get your vehicle out after that but that's a function of not reading what the access was going to look like later at night, not a 'Winnipeg sucks!' thing.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2022, 1:58 PM

^ Yeah, if I knew I was going to be staying late after the game, I'd 100% park on the street to make sure there wouldn't be any access issues. One of those tricks you learn as a veteran Winnipegger

Old Posted Oct 25, 2022, 2:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyGarden View Post
When I was in university I worked at a bar in the inner city and was always amazed at how many people drove to the bar. A coworker had worked at a bar in Toronto and said he never had to think about people driving home as much as here. I get that in lots of wealthier winnipeg neighbourhoods there are no restaurants or bars in walking distance but still, take a cab or Uber if you’re going to live that far away.
I remember talking with a group of Winnipeggers and it came up that none of them had ever taken a cab. I asked, "but what if you go out drinking" and all the answers were some version of "oh I slow down before the end of the evening" or some other bullshit way of admitting they just drive drunk

Old Posted Oct 25, 2022, 3:30 PM

Quote:
This city sucks so much.

I can't believe it!

It sucks!
so you love the Jets Game, loved that you went from PP to game in skywalk, Loved the post game Thomas Hinds cigar & scotch....but hate the city because you didnt pay attention to what time the parkade closes? and thanks for posting this in "construction" thread

Old Posted Oct 25, 2022, 3:34 PM

Have some empathy. It is a shitty situation. Same thing happened to me in Vancouver. Parked at Metrotown and took the sky train downtown. Came back around midnight and had to walk around the entire mall trying to get in to the parkade. Finally gave up looking for an unlocked door so walked around to the drive in entrance and walked in. Horrible experience took over an hour to get back to the car. Absolutely zero signage warning all entrances are locked after certain hours.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2022, 4:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hecate View Post
Have some empathy. It is a shitty situation. Same thing happened to me in Vancouver. Parked at Metrotown and took the sky train downtown. Came back around midnight and had to walk around the entire mall trying to get in to the parkade. Finally gave up looking for an unlocked door so walked around to the drive in entrance and walked in. Horrible experience took over an hour to get back to the car. Absolutely zero signage warning all entrances are locked after certain hours.
Yes this person deserves all our sympathies. If any empathy should be applied to situations in todays world, its ones like this.

Man with disposable income goes to Jets game, parks in heated underground parking, enjoys drinks and smokes at upscale location post game and has to taxi home. Oh the horrors.

Don't get me wrong, I do and have done the same thing after Jets games. I just don't come looking for, or expecting any, sympathy for my own actions.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2022, 5:14 PM

Quote:
It makes it hard to sympathize with an unfortunate crappy situation caused by an inconvenient policy of a mall and skywalk system when the complainer then just bashes Winnipeg as a whole as a result of their misfortunes.

Did you suddenly go on an online forum and say "I haTe VanCoVEr!1!!!" after your mall situation?

Old Posted Oct 25, 2022, 5:26 PM

If you are parking your vehicle anywhere, you should be aware of the limits. I don't just park my car on the street and walk away in blissful ignorance. Many people do and I watch their cars being towed from my glass tower.

Parking inside a building, you better be damn sure you can get back in.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2022, 5:27 PM

Quote:
Ugh, that sucks.

Clearly the entire city of Vancouver was to blame. After a bad experience like that, they may as well burn the whole place to the ground and start over. A thousand curses on on ye, Gassy Jack.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2022, 5:41 PM

I said empathize. I don’t think this person wants sympathy, they just want someone to listen. They’re upset, and rightfully so. The skywalk should be 24 hours given our climate and such. It’s connected to restaurants, hotels, apartments, offices, multiple parkades, and major entertainment venues so it’s not a stretch that one would assume it would be accessible. This reflects poorly on the city, no different than the barricades at P&M… are those locked after hours too? Lol.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2022, 5:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wardlow View Post
Ugh, that sucks.

Clearly the entire city of Vancouver was to blame. After a bad experience like that, they may as well burn the whole place to the ground and start over. A thousand curses on on ye, Gassy Jack.
No, but one would assume that you’d be able to easily access your car at what was billed as a park and ride for the duration that the sky train operates. Sky train was running until one… we got there at midnight to locked doors. Not a great policy.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2022, 6:21 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
I said empathize. I don’t think this person wants sympathy, they just want someone to listen. They’re upset, and rightfully so. The skywalk should be 24 hours given our climate and such. It’s connected to restaurants, hotels, apartments, offices, multiple parkades, and major entertainment venues so it’s not a stretch that one would assume it would be accessible. This reflects poorly on the city, no different than the barricades at P&M… are those locked after hours too? Lol.
Could you imagine what the skywalk would become if it was open 24 hours a day here? But on a positive note, at least no one would be sleeping in the bus shelters anymore.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan