HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction

Old Posted Mar 13, 2019, 4:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMWChicago View Post
Also found this cool diagram placing the floor count at 59, which again confuses me as to how daunting the height looks in that other picture lol
But look how much taller the rendering makes the mechanical floors look than this schematic shows. Thus the extra height?

Old Posted Mar 13, 2019, 4:56 PM

Looking forward to this. . . quite a handsome building. . .

. . .

Old Posted Mar 14, 2019, 4:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lu9 View Post
But look how much taller the rendering makes the mechanical floors look than this schematic shows. Thus the extra height?
Well... if measured from the river it'll certainly be 900+ feet, so there's that at least lol

Old Posted Mar 14, 2019, 3:55 PM

Great tower but is anyone else a little disturbed by the site planning of Wolf point? 3 very slab like boxy masses and the salesforce tower is going to absolutely forever alter the wide open west sky that illuminates the river in summer. That constricted canyon with open west end is what makes Chicago's canyon so powerfull, this is going to take that away. I think the site planners should have gone for more height but stepped back from the point of wolf point more to keep that west view to the sky more open. I feel like this site should have been more of a rounded super tall, like the old 7 S. dearborn, the slabs are just jarring spatially.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2019, 4:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark0 View Post
Great tower but is anyone else a little disturbed by the site planning of Wolf point?
No. . .

. . .

Old Posted Mar 14, 2019, 4:07 PM

Quote:
Great tower but is anyone else a little disturbed by the site planning of Wolf point? 3 very slab like boxy masses and the salesforce tower is going to absolutely forever alter the wide open west sky that illuminates the river in summer. That constricted canyon with open west end is what makes Chicago's canyon so powerfull, this is going to take that away. I think the site planners should have gone for more height but stepped back from the point of wolf point more to keep that west view to the sky more open. I feel like this site should have been more of a rounded super tall, like the old 7 S. dearborn, the slabs are just jarring spatially.
Not sure you have checked this out in the summer - the towers are on the North side of the river, in Chicago the sun sticks to the southern 1/2 of the sky.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2019, 5:05 PM

During the summer the sun sets in the WNW of the sky so for an hour a day a couple months out of the year it may cast shadows over a portion of the river. But this is downtown Chicago so shadows happen sometimes.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2019, 5:58 PM

Quote:
I think the giant slabs are what distinguishes this site from the other Chicago River towers. Another rounded super tall would inevitably draw comparisons to Trump Tower.

Every other skyscraper on a bend of the river defers to the river's course. Trump Tower, Marina Towers, the Weese church, Nuveen building, all incorporate curves into their design. Even 150 N Riverside carved out its base to accommodate a riverwalk.

Then you have Salesforce Tower which openly defies the river's course. All imposing wedges and straight lines. I would argue that a lot of the Chicago river's power comes from a claustrophobic tension between the natural and the manmade, and Salesforce Tower is an excellent expression of that.

It will certainly be jarring, but not necessarily unpleasant.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2019, 6:15 PM

Old Posted Mar 14, 2019, 6:42 PM

Quote:

I can see your point in the above juxtaposition of images. But really, all it makes me wonder is why they didn't hold out for a taller design in the middle of the next construction boom. If they're going to obscure the horizon as it looks from atop the LondonHouse rooftop bar, they might as well try to obscure the moon as well.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2019, 6:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gebs View Post
. . . why they didn't hold out for a taller design in the middle of the next construction boom. . .
That's not how any of this works. . .

. . .

Old Posted Mar 14, 2019, 7:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom In Chicago View Post
That's not how any of this works. . .

. . .
Right, I know. I know that developers aren't paying property taxes every year waiting for the right moment to call SHoP or BIG and say, "now the time is right, nobody lives forever, let's go skyward and pierce through the veil of complacency!"

... but still. I wish conditions were different and could allow for a statement tower in that plot, one that would forever change the skyline.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2019, 9:18 PM

Quote:
I can't agree with you on an open West end of the river canyon. That openness has always made it feel incomplete to me. Infact I can't wait for someone to build something to fill the gap between wolf point and river point.

On the other hand I agree that it would be better if the designs related more to the river or maybe if they just created a better transition specifically between WPS and WPE. Those two creating a hard right angle feels really awkward even in the renderings.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2019, 11:02 PM

March 15

Old Posted Mar 15, 2019, 11:12 PM

I did some exploring in my 3d model of Chicago in VR mode. I do a quick walk around the Wolf Point development and it feels big despite the height reduction.

Video Link

Old Posted Mar 18, 2019, 6:53 PM
Ω

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgarri4 View Post
I did some exploring in my 3d model of Chicago in VR mode. I do a quick walk around the Wolf Point development and it feels big despite the height reduction.
Wow, this is great. I want to get one of those VR headsets.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2019, 7:51 PM

Quote:

This makes me think of Jarta. LOL!

Old Posted Mar 18, 2019, 8:29 PM
The City

^ Ahhh yes, who can forget Jarta? All of those months of posturing, then one morning with great pride he finally posted this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarta
Article and copy of complaint on Crain's web site this morning:

http://www.chicagorealestatedaily.co...-point-project

Hines declines to comment.
......only to have his lawsuit tossed out of court by the judge for the utter nonsense that it was

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Mar 19, 2019, 5:23 PM

Quote:
Most definitely. I see why they did it from a value standpoint (the views, duh) But in turn they told the rest of the world to F off. Screw your views of the setting sun.

Last edited by bhawk66; Mar 19, 2019 at 5:24 PM. Reason: grammar

Old Posted Mar 19, 2019, 6:12 PM
Windy City Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhawk66 View Post
Most definitely. I see why they did it from a value standpoint (the views, duh) But in turn they told the rest of the world to F off. Screw your views of the setting sun.
Why is it the developers responsibility to consider the views of their neighbors? How many times must we have this insane conversation? It's so old at this point. They didn't tell anyone to "F off" they built on land they owned as they saw fit. Cities are living, breathing, ever-changing things, anyone living in Chicago who expects their view of whatever to remain exactly as it is, is delusional.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction