HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Jun 28, 2022, 5:39 PM

Do Federal Reserve Banks/branches ever move?

They were set up in 1913. Here the list per Wiki and one actually closed (Buffalo). It's probably too political to make changes and also probably cumbersome (and may even be unnecessary in this digital age).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...serve_branches

KC to Denver?
Philly to Seattle?
Richmond to Charlotte?

Old Posted Jun 28, 2022, 6:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCReid View Post
They were set up in 1913. Here the list per Wiki and one actually closed (Buffalo). It's probably too political to make changes and also probably cumbersome (and may even be unnecessary in this digital age).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...serve_branches

KC to Denver?
Philly to Seattle?
Richmond to Charlotte?
Their locations and allocations don't make sense in the today's world and would almost certainly not happen if we were to start from scratch. Two in Missouri???? But sadly, moving any of them to rationalize the system is probably never going to happen. Too political.

As you mentioned, occasionally a branch has been closed. I think they closed the Portland branch as well. Perhaps there will be a few more of those branch closures...

Old Posted Jun 28, 2022, 8:28 PM
Never Dell

Portland has a branch of the FRB of San Francisco, as do Seattle, LA, and SLC.

To clarify terminology, there are 12 regional banks and each can have branches.

Moving a bank within the same district might be achievable. Creating a new district might be achievable. But moving a bank to a new area outside its existing region sounds implausible given how tied each bank is to its region in terms of leadership and administrative roles.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2022, 9:22 PM

Those regional banks and districts do not matter much nowadays. The main FED district is New York.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2022, 2:56 AM

It's kind of like the early VA Regional offices. The VA really only took off after the Civil war and some of the early locations don't make much sense anymore, like Roanoke for Virginia, Muskogee OK, Lincoln NE, Montgomery AL, Togus ME, Fort Harrison MT. But they have never moved as far as I know.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2022, 3:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDevil View Post
It's kind of like the early VA Regional offices. The VA really only took off after the Civil war and some of the early locations don't make much sense anymore, like Roanoke for Virginia, Muskogee OK, Lincoln NE, Montgomery AL, Togus ME, Fort Harrison MT. But they have never moved as far as I know.
Hey hey hey man. I live in Muskogee, let's not be taking anything away even if it's weird.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions