HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction

Old Posted Nov 5, 2019, 4:24 PM

PHILADELPHIA | Piazza Terminal | 3 TOWERS | 180, 130 & 130 FT | 16, 12 & 12 FLOORS

Now it's time for the Piazza Autogroup halftime show!

Title: The Piazza Phase II - Piazza Terminal
Project: Residential, retail
Architect: BKV group
Developer: Bart Blatstein
Location: Germantown Avenue from 2nd to Wildey Streets, Philadelphia, PA
District: North Philadelphia
Neighborhood: Northern Liberties
Floors: 16, 12 & 12 Floors (3 towers)
Height: 180, 130 & 130 ft (est)

First Renderings Revealed For Bart Blatstein's Piazza Sequel As The Original Changes Hands
Quote:
Bart Blatstein's final major development in Northern Liberties is beginning to take shape.

His company, Tower Investments, has submitted renderings and details for his sequel to the Piazza at Schmidt's (since renamed Schmidt's Commons) for the Civic Design Review hearing June 5. The project, called Piazza Terminal, will hold 1,197 studio and one-bedroom apartments split between eight buildings of varying height sitting atop 45K SF of retail.

Blatstein told Bisnow earlier this year that he sees Piazza Terminal as the infill development that he always wanted to take advantage of the density and value he helped build in the NoLibs neighborhood. With buildings ranging from seven to 13 stories, the density of his newest project will be on a scale the neighborhood has never seen.

Unlike the expansive, cement Piazza, the central courtyard of the Piazza Terminal will be narrow, filled with grass and plants, and open up to Germantown Avenue on the west and Hancock Street on the east. Across Germantown Avenue sits Schmidt's Commons, which Blatstein sold to a joint venture of Kushner Cos. and Oaktree Capital Management in 2013. To the north sits the Shops at Schmidt's, a grocery-anchored retail development Blatstein sold to the Florida-based Sterling Organization in 2016.

Post Brothers closed on the purchase of a controlling interest in Schmidt's Commons Friday, the Philadelphia Business Journal reports. The transaction was for $130M, the same price that Kushner and Oaktree paid in 2013. Kushner has now exited the property, while Oaktree's ownership status was not disclosed.

While Post Brothers looks to renovate the residential portion, add amenities and hopefully stabilize the high-turnover retail spaces, Blatsein will be raising something even bigger from the ground. He told the PBJ he is grateful for the change in ownership after criticizing the Kushner JV for mismanagement to Bisnow.

Tucked away in the Piazza Terminal development will be a six-story, 200K SF parking garage, with the first floor's 46 spaces dedicated for customers of the retail portion and the 463 spaces of the upper five floors for residents. All told, Piazza Terminal is set to contain 963K SF of development, 681K SF of which will be dedicated for residential.

Tower Investments will use a mix of materials to differentiate the design of the parking garage, two six-story buildings, three nine-story buildings and two 13-story buildings. With street-facing retail, the development will turn the southern end of Germantown Avenue from a gritty backstreet in the shadow of Schmidt's Commons into a dense, walkable thoroughfare.

The plans submitted to Civic Design Review, which can send Blatstein back for a second hearing but cannot make a binding decision, call for some of the retail portions to have outdoor seating, suggesting restaurant components.

The parking garage is planned to have a rooftop covered in plants, and at least one of the residential buildings to have an amenity area on the roof, including three pools, hot tubs, an outdoor salon, a yoga lawn, grilling areas and cabana beds.
https://www.bisnow.com/philadelphia/...released-88884

More Renderings Here

Last edited by summersm343; May 8, 2022 at 5:55 PM.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2019, 4:28 PM

A more recent article that kickstarted the need for this thread:

Developer Bart Blatstein downsizes apartment count at planned sequel to Piazza in Northern Liberties
Quote:

Developer Bart Blatstein is downsizing his proposal for a sprawling apartment complex on land he retained in Northern Liberties after developing his Piazza at Schmidts project.

Blatstein was granted a zoning permit this week to cut the number of apartments at the Second Street and Germantown Avenue proposal by 330 units, for a new total of 861.

That’s more than a quarter fewer than planned when Blatstein first proposed what he’s calling Piazza Terminal at a 4.4-acre lot south of the Shops at Schmidt’s retail building in February.

Blatstein did not return a phone message asking about the change.

The revised permit also replaces a previously planned rooftop swimming pool with a green roof and reduces the number of parking spaces from 509 to 422.

The project marks what may be Blatstein’s last major development in Northern Liberties, where he had been based until a move in 2017 to the Rittenhouse Square area.
https://www.inquirer.com/real-estate...-20191101.html

Old Posted Nov 5, 2019, 10:10 PM

Great project! Build it!

Old Posted Nov 8, 2019, 2:23 PM

Should do a lot to fill in the physical and psychological void between Northern Liberties, Fishtown, and South Kensington.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2019, 2:52 PM
Show me the blueprints

Nice project, but "towers?"

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Nov 8, 2019, 2:57 PM

I'll believe it when steel starts to rise. Between this, Broad and Washington, and his odd obsession with a super Wawa on Delaware Avenue I have little faith in him.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2019, 10:35 AM

I hope this gets built, considering we do need 12-25 story apartment buildings built around this city and not just greater Center City alone!!!

Old Posted Dec 5, 2019, 6:42 PM

A tiiiiiiiny bit of downsizing on one of the lowrises, and no more pool deck

Quote:
FOR MODIFICATION TO PERMIT #885290 PREVIOUSLY APPROVED (DATED 07/19/2018) CHANGES AS FOLLOWS: 6TH LEVEL POOL DECK CHANGED TO GREEN ROOF, PREVIOUS LEVEL 2 CHANGED TO BE LEVEL 1.5, LOADING LOCATION MODIFIED, PARKING LEVEL 1.5 EXTENDED ELEVATOR AND STAIR CORE RECONFIGURED; RESIDENTIAL LOBBIES ENLARGED SIZE AND LOCATION AS SHOWN IN THE APPLICATION. FOR USE MODIFICATION TO PERMIT #885290; REDUCTION OF THE MULTI-FAMILY DWELLING FROM 1,197 UNITS TO EIGHT HUNDRED SIXTY-ONE (861) UNITS AND REDUCTION OF THE NUMBER OF ACCESSORY OFF STREET PARKING SPACES 509 TO FOUR HUNDRED TWENTY-TWO (422) SPACES; NO OTHER CHANGES TO REMAINING PERMIT PREVIOUSLY APPROVED (DATED 07/19/2018). SIZE AND LOCATION AS SHOWN IN THE APPLICATION.
https://li.phila.gov/#details?entity...20HANCOCK%20ST

Old Posted Dec 5, 2019, 8:23 PM

Who owns that last massive parking lot on 2nd street right next to Tendenza?

Old Posted Dec 9, 2019, 5:33 PM
Cory Trevor Leahy

They got building permit on Friday

NEW CONSTRUCTION OF A TWELVE (12) STORY STRUCTURE TO INCLUDE VACANT COMMERCIAL SPACES (USE REGISTRATION & FIT-OUT PERMITS REQUIRED PRIOR TO OCCUPANCY), EIGHT HUNDRED SIXTY-ONE (861) DWELLING UNITS AND FOUR HUNDRED TWENTY-TWO (422) ACCESSORY GARAGE PARKING SPACES AS PER APPROVED PLANS AND BBS VARIANCE NO. 39179. **BUILDING TO UTILIZE HORIZONTAL AND VERTICAL SEPARATIONS TO CREATE THREE (3) SEPARATE BUILDINGS WITH TWO (2) DIFFERENT CONSTRUCTION TYPES (BLDGS 1 & 2 - TYPE I AND BLDG 3 - TYPE IB)** BUILDING TO BE FULLY SPRINKLERED PER NFPA 13 AND INCLUDE STANDPIPES PER NFPA 14. PER BBS VARIANCE, ALL OPENINGS IN SOUTHWEST WALL OF EXISTING PARKING GARAGE AT 145 W WILDEY STREET MUST BE CLOSED TO CREATE 1-HOUR RATED EXTERIOR WALL (SEPARATE PERMIT REQUIRED). *2018 CODE REVIEW* **SEPARATE PERMITS REQUIRED FOR MEP & FIRE SUPPRESSION WORK**

https://li.phila.gov/#details?entity...20HANCOCK%20ST

Old Posted Dec 9, 2019, 7:02 PM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londonee View Post
Who owns that last massive parking lot on 2nd street right next to Tendenza?
I believe the name begins with a B and rhymes with "Latstein".

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)

Old Posted Dec 9, 2019, 7:13 PM
Cory Trevor Leahy

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammersklavier View Post
I believe the name begins with a B and rhymes with "Latstein".
He sold it two years ago to Joe Volpe

Old Posted Dec 10, 2019, 7:15 PM

Wow this is really happening! Will be huge for that area. As with everything involving Bart I was at "I'll believe it when I see it" on this one. Post Bros. being involved is much better.

Post Brothers readies $500M final phase of Piazza in Northern Liberties

Quote:
Post Brothers is embarking on the next and final phase of the Piazza in the Northern Liberties neighborhood of Philadelphia with a $500 million development of 1,100 apartments in multiple buildings.

The Philadelphia real estate company has arranged $370 million in financing with Starwood Property Trust (NYSE: STWD) to move ahead with the first phase, which includes the development of 697 units in five connected buildings. The second phase will come at a later date and will cost about $130 million. It will total 400 units that could be built at different times or all at once depending on what the market warrants. The projects will rise on a nearly four-acre parcel spanning between Germantown Avenue and Hancock Street along West Wildey Street.

Construction is expected to get underway in the next few weeks with leasing to begin in the next 18 to 24 months.
More: https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel..._news_headline

Has this gone through CDR yet? I'm guessing they'll go through that and then get going right away.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2019, 9:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanthusiat View Post
Wow this is really happening! Will be huge for that area. As with everything involving Bart I was at "I'll believe it when I see it" on this one. Post Bros. being involved is much better.

Post Brothers readies $500M final phase of Piazza in Northern Liberties

More: https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel..._news_headline

Has this gone through CDR yet? I'm guessing they'll go through that and then get going right away.
It already went through CDR, so this project is full steam ahead. Agreed that this is huge huge news for the neighborhood, and for its physical connectivity up to Girard MFL and Fishtown.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2019, 9:31 PM

Aren't they also doing that huge grassy space along 2nd street north of Germantown Ave?

That'll fill in a TON of empty surface stuff.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2019, 4:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redddog View Post
Aren't they also doing that huge grassy space along 2nd street north of Germantown Ave?

That'll fill in a TON of empty surface stuff.
If you're talking about the large triangular shaped grassy lot bounded by Germantown, 2nd, and Girard - that's well under construction.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2019, 2:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londonee View Post
If you're talking about the large triangular shaped grassy lot bounded by Germantown, 2nd, and Girard - that's well under construction.
That's the one. I haven't been up there in a while.

These two projects are going to completely transform that area. Maybe Wahlburgers will come back.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2020, 12:12 PM

This has definitely started. It’s all fenced off and there was equipment working on site yesterday.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2020, 1:45 PM
Philly Pholly

I guess there hasn't been any updated renderings since the downsizing announcement. I like this project and hope it remains in tact.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2020, 9:30 PM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

Has anybody noticed that this project leaves a wedge-shaped parcel between itself and the Acme parking garage right at the corner of 2nd and Germantown? I wonder what's going to happen to that odd little bit of space...

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction