HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Sep 5, 2019, 3:20 PM

So a big footprint then?

Old Posted Sep 5, 2019, 3:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by themaguffin View Post
So a big footprint then?
I mean, it's a 57,660 square foot site, which makes it bigger than the average block along Grant Street downtown.

Interestingly, as has been noted in the past, this portion of the Strip is actually given Downtown zoning (GT-B) rather than being zoned UI or RIV. As a result, there really aren't any height limits, though there's a requirement for 10% open space at ground level, and FAR of 13. This means the highest amount allowed by right is a bit under 675,000 square feet. A 500,000 square foot building wouldn't need a variance, but a 750,000 square foot building would.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2019, 7:19 PM

The Planning Commission is back from their August recess, with the 9/10 presentation up. It's a fairly full roster this week - five items, several of which are significant.

1. A sign permit to put a pick Hitachi logo on one of the buildings at the Pittsburgh Technology Center.

2. A zoning change petition for the current site of the Shakespeare Street Giant Eagle, in order to grease the wheels for the future mixed-use development. The area is now mostly CP (Commercial Planned Development) with a bit of LNC (Local Neighborhood Commercial) and a single parcel zoned RM-H (Residential Multi-unit - High Density). The developer is seeking to rezone everything to UNC (Urban Neighborhood Commercial) which would allow for significantly taller buildings, given how close the area is to East Liberty Station. I am worried about the potential for the NIMBYs who show up at community meetings to sabotage this, even though it's a no-brainer in terms of upzoning. There are additional new renderings of the planned Shady Hill Center in the presentation as well. Looks like a pretty nice density, and it will really help tie the entire area around the Busway together more.

3. There is a further presentation related to Arsenal 201 for next week. I had mis-remembered it was already before the Planning Commission in July, but that was an earlier version of the presentation which was just given to Lawrenceville United. I don't see any substantive modifications in terms of unit count, parking spaces, or design, but there's a lot of additional information and more renderings and diagrams now.

4. A developer wishes to create a new mini-development in Summer Hill, called Summer-Hill Reserve. Given the location at the fringe of the city, it's going to be a suburban-style subdivision (kind of a basic one at that), but at least there are plans to build another 18 single-family homes on an underutilized plot within city limits. The one thing I don't like is they plan to turn that section of Maplewood Drive into a private cul-de-sac, while it currently exists (albeit in poor condition) and links up to suburban Reserve Township.

5. There is an updated version of the Manchester-Chateau neighborhood plan. Basically they made some minor modifications to the plan in an effort to gain approval from the Planning Commission.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2019, 1:15 PM

A couple interesting articles from City Lab:

First, a round up from Richard Florida of data adjusting job compensation for cost of living:

https://www.citylab.com/life/2019/09...laries/597376/

The high level takeaway is something like this. Unadjusted compensation typically favors the big coastal cities, but then cost of living takes it all back and then some--and as usual, that is mostly a housing cost issue. However, where the "sweet spot" ends up being depends on the type of job and level of compensation.

For high-compensation tech and professional jobs, the sweet spot is more bigger non-coastal cities--so, not surprisingly, Pittsburgh ends up on the list of cities with highest COL-adjusted compensation for tech jobs.

But for lower-compensation jobs, the sweet spot is more much smaller cities than even Pittsburgh--assuming of course you can find the work. So Pittsburgh is NOT on that list--you are talking more places like Huntington WV, or Toledo and Canton in OH.

Thinking about that in terms of things like local development--we definitely have to keep developing both employer and residential space for the higher-income tech and professional fields in order to keep us highly competitive in terms of rents (again, I think this is true for both such employers and their employees). But it is ALSO true that cities even like Pittsburgh are already experiencing a COL crunch for lower-income workers, who are just as necessary for economic growth. And while I doubt it is as bad as in the big coastal cities, nonetheless we also have to be thinking in terms of making it affordable for such workers to live in order to sustain economic development.

Part of that is a wage discussion that is well outside the scope of our topics here. But another part is housing policy, and here I will just repeat the answer is never to try to stop adding more high-income units--both because we need them for the reasons above, and because that actually just means more existing low-cost housing will be converted to high-cost housing anyway. Instead, we need more of both--more high-income and low-income units wherever convenient for commuting to work.

And the third aspect to consider is transportation policy. You can make it easier to provide a lot more high and low income housing convenient to work IF you provide a robust and rapid peak-time transportation system, thereby opening up a lot more land area for that sort of use.

And while if you have kicked around urban planning and transportation circles long enough, you have probably seen most of this before, here is a very nicely presented summary of how what is feasible in terms of urban transportation and therefore urban living has always been a technological question:

https://www.citylab.com/transportati...istory/597055/

I note it ends on a very grim note--the thesis of the article is we have discovered the technological limits of the expressway through hard experience, and new rail (its predecessor) is too expensive, and there are no other technologies on the horizon, so we are now stuck with an increasingly bad situation as we are out of good options. We can only try to densify cites within the existing transportation network's limits. And although this article alone doesn't make this point, you can combine it with the article above to suggest that densification plan may work OK for higher-income workers, but is manifestly failing lower-income workers.

At least as applied to Pittsburgh, though, I am not sure that claim about technological alternatives not being available is correct.

Again, I think at least some use of urban gondolas would help, not least in Pittsburgh where travelling as the crow flies on the surface is frequently not possible. Urban gondolas are not inherently fast--something like 15 MPH is a practical top speed--but using the 30 minute rule in the article, that means you can hope people would travel around 7.5 miles on urban gondolas for a regular commute. And 7.5 miles as the crow flies from Downtown, Oakland, or other central jobs centers could take you pretty far out.

And then there is BRT. BRT is interesting because you can pick and choose when and how much to use on any given route or part of an overall network. So when mixed-use roads and expressways are not typically congested, you don't have to use much or any BRT technology. But when you get to peak-time bottlenecks in the road system, THEN you can use BRT technologies--up to and including Busways--to bypass those bottlenecks and maintain speed.

Buses are fundamentally much faster than gondolas, so in theory this allows for a far, far larger potential service area within the 30 minute limit. But, buses in Pittsburgh can't travel as the crow flies, and further really high end BRT technologies like Busways are way more expensive than gondolas.

But I do think a mix of at least these two technologies could help enormously in Pittsburgh, not least in terms of helping to keep it affordable for workers both higher and lower income, and therefore helping keep it competitive in the current economic era. Fundamentally, the point is really the same in each case--if most of the problem with commuting is peak time congestion on expressways due to their low peak capacity limits and high cost of construction, then the practical solution is to provide alternative means of commuting around those expressway bottlenecks at a far lower cost per additional unit of peak capacity. Gondolas and BRT can do that, and so we should be using them where appropriate to address that problem.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2019, 4:02 PM

Happy to report that it looks like the Highland House/Parklane in Highland Park is having a new envelope installed as part of its full renovation by Village Green (new, greenish glass is being installed on exterior just above the ground floor).

Makes me happy because I can see it from my backyard, and the exterior of this building has looked like shit since the 1980s, with the previous owner/mgmt company doing only the bare minimum maintenance.

Last edited by pj3000; Sep 7, 2019 at 5:10 PM.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2019, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebarbaro View Post
An amazing looking renovation is coming to Fifth Ave Place! Video walk thru and renderings are on the link.

https://kdkaradio.radio.com/gallerie...illion-upgrade

I never liked that building. something about the windows. change is good for that place.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2019, 12:38 PM

Location: The absolute western-most point of the Philadelphia urbanized area. :)
You know, the idea of an urban gondola system in Pittsburgh is really starting to grow on me. This would be terrific not just for commuters, but also for tourism. Out-of-town visitors could get unprecedented views of the city's neighborhoods and topography.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2019, 2:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj3000 View Post
Happy to report that it looks like the Highland House/Parklane in Highland Park is having a new envelope installed as part of its full renovation by Village Green (new, greenish glass is being installed on exterior just above the ground floor).

Makes me happy because I can see it from my backyard, and the exterior of this building has looked like shit since the 1980s, with the previous owner/mgmt company doing only the bare minimum maintenance.

I saw the work being done on the building the other week when walking up to the park, and wondered what it was.

Have you ever heard anything about how the building managed to get constructed to begin with? It's so massively out of scale with Highland Park I would have to think that there was NIMBY opposition, and I've always been curious how it was pulled off (even considering how badly the city was doing at that time).

Old Posted Sep 9, 2019, 3:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
I saw the work being done on the building the other week when walking up to the park, and wondered what it was.

Have you ever heard anything about how the building managed to get constructed to begin with? It's so massively out of scale with Highland Park I would have to think that there was NIMBY opposition, and I've always been curious how it was pulled off (even considering how badly the city was doing at that time).
Yeah, I was passing by and noticed the window installation -- on the east side. I'm hoping that means the entire tower is being "re-skinned". I imagine so, since I don't know why they'd only do the lowest floor, but you never know...

I don't know too much about it... just that Tasso Katselas of the Airport, CCAC, and Science Center designed it. I imagine late 1950s/early 1960s. And that it was built on (maybe still is on?) Port Authority property. The stone wall around it is a remnant of facility that was on the site. Like you say, there must have been opposition to its construction, but that period seems like the "era of out-of-place modernist architecture" and there must have been inside influence to push projects like this through.

I looked at apartments there a number of years ago when it was owned by Mozart Management. The apartments I viewed were nice and big, if rather dated. It was nicer inside than it looks like it would be from the outside. Great views from the upper floors. I considered signing a lease there, but I'm just not a high-rise living guy at all... I feel too confined.

I imagine with the renovation happening, it'll become a pretty desirable spot for east enders.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2019, 3:24 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I was passing by and noticed the window installation -- on the east side. I'm hoping that means the entire tower is being "re-skinned". I imagine so, since I don't know why they'd only do the lowest floor, but you never know...
I'm pretty sure you need to have the entirety of a residential building vacant for this sort of reskinning, though I could be wrong. Certainly I wouldn't want to have my unit exposed to the elements for a few days.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2019, 3:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
I'm pretty sure you need to have the entirety of a residential building vacant for this sort of reskinning, though I could be wrong. Certainly I wouldn't want to have my unit exposed to the elements for a few days.
yeah, I'm not totally sure how they do that. Though I imagine that they wouldn't have to have the whole building totally vacant. They could be installing the windows in conjunction with renovating the interiors (i.e., when no tenants would be in those units).

Old Posted Sep 10, 2019, 12:32 AM

Quote:
yeah, I'm not totally sure how they do that. Though I imagine that they wouldn't have to have the whole building totally vacant. They could be installing the windows in conjunction with renovating the interiors (i.e., when no tenants would be in those units).
They did it with tenants still living there at The Venue Apartments downtown just the past year. Not sure how but they did. It looks like in some of their Instagram photos tenants' belongings were pushed back and covered with plastic as workers completed their unit's renovation. Looks like it may only have taken a day or two per unit.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2019, 11:37 AM

Location: The absolute western-most point of the Philadelphia urbanized area. :)
Tried to access the article but can't. I wonder what these "big plans" are...

https://www.post-gazette.com/busines...s/201909100055

Old Posted Sep 10, 2019, 12:13 PM

I remember reading a brief history on that building a long time ago, but I can't seem to find it. Vaguely, I remember there was some story about the landowner getting permission, and it was in that late-1950s/early-1960s era when people thought that sort of thing might take over as the dominant urban form.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonboy1983 View Post
You know, the idea of an urban gondola system in Pittsburgh is really starting to grow on me. This would be terrific not just for commuters, but also for tourism. Out-of-town visitors could get unprecedented views of the city's neighborhoods and topography.
For what it is worth, this has been true in the cities implementing them--they become tourist attractions in addition to transit systems. Certainly beats being in a bus or underground tunnel.

And one thing that has become clear to me over the years is Pittsburgh is an exceptionally pretty and interesting city to look at, particularly from heights. Obviously other cities have some cool buildings and neighborhoods and such, but in terms of the big picture topography and such, Pittsburgh is right up there with world-class cities like San Francisco.

So, yeah, it would seem to be a good idea in terms of both compensating for the transit challenges that topography imposes, while also turning that into an asset for tourism purposes.

That said, ideally it would still be priced just like the rest of the transit system, and integrated with transfers and such. Sometimes there is a temptation to price them just for tourists, and that's going to impede their use as an ordinary transit service.

And then if you do that, you would also get people saying on TripAdvisor that for $2.75, it is the best ride in Pittsburgh--which I think would be well worth it when those people also stay in hotels, eat in restaurants, and so on.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2019, 12:17 PM

^^ re: the US Steel tower WeWork development... it really seems like these “coworking” spaces are pretty much just becoming commercial office space.

The concept was kinda cool when it was focused on utilizing space in older buildings that weren’t necessarily designed as professional office space, and charging a much lower rent for sharing space with others who didn’t require/couldn’t afford the high costs associated with leasing in a downtown CBD.

Now, it’s basically just... “pay us an unreasonable amount of money for this tiny area in this office building and you’ll get “free” beer & wine”.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2019, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonboy1983 View Post
Tried to access the article but can't. I wonder what these "big plans" are...

https://www.post-gazette.com/busines...s/201909100055
WeWork is paying $9 million to renovate 105,000 sqft in USX. No more details than that.

Here is the Building Pittsburgh blog entry they cite, but it also doesn't have any more details:

https://buildingpittsburgh.com/2019/...rough-worries/

Just speculating, but to me it sounds like they are likely going for a pretty fun modern techy space, ala Google Pittsburgh and such.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2019, 12:19 PM

Quote:
^ it really seems like these “coworking” spaces are pretty much just becoming commercial office space.

The concept was kinda cool when it was focused on utilizing space in older buildings that weren’t necessarily designed as professional office space, and charging a much lower rent for sharing space with others who didn’t require/couldn’t afford the high costs associated with leasing in a downtown CBD.

Now, it’s basically just... pay us an unreasonable amount of money for this tiny area in this office building and you’ll get “free” beer & wine.
I'll admit the whole thing is giving me a Pets.com vibe.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2019, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
I'll admit the whole thing is giving me a Pets.com vibe.
Yeah

Old Posted Sep 10, 2019, 6:25 PM

PBT has some notes (behind a paywall) about how Giant Eagle's plans for the Shakespeare Street redevelopment have changed. Basically:

1. At the request of the city, the size of the parking garage has been reduced from 550 spaces to 492 spaces. This will allow for a 33% increase in green space.

2. Planned development access from Aurelia Street was shelved. This is probably to placate NIMBYs, but considering Shady is right around the corner, it doesn't hurt much.

3. The proportion of affordable units in the 262-unit apartment building is going to increase from 10% to 15%.

Despite these changes, there is still NIMBY opposition to the project which came out in force for the Monday presentation. A petition was passed out, and the article quots a resident from The Village of Shadyside worried about potential noise from the apartment building. That the plan will close the Giant Eagle for two years is also contentious.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2019, 6:52 PM

There is a typically infuriating article in the P-G, with even more infuriating comments, conveying some of the typical NIMBY opposition.

I particularly liked the lady who complained apartment buildings across from a major transit station was too suburban, and that the area needed to be kept urban.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations