HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Nov 29, 2022, 6:12 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocman View Post
But cities with elite public schools are much more significant for this discussion because they accommodate undergraduate class sizes in the tens of thousands, often magnitudes more than what elite private universities can accommodate.
interesting point.

in chicago's case, our 1B flagship public university, UIC, has an undergrad student body of 22,279.

our two super-elite private universities (U.Chicago & Northwestern) have a combined undergrad student body of 15,886.

our two major catholic universities (Loyola & Depaul) have a combined undergrad student body of 26,747.

that said, U.Chicago & Northwestern have a combined post-grad student body roughly 2x that of UIC.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2022, 8:20 PM
E pluribus unum

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocman View Post
Also, Chapman University in Orange debuted on the national rankings in 2020 at around #121. It claims to have been founded in 1861 in downtown LA, but was really established in the 1950s as it is now.
So Chapman was established, I think, in Northern California in 1861 but had a small campus for years somewhere in Los Angeles County. It only relocated to Orange in 1954 after Orange High School moved to a new building.

As for its ranking, its highly dubious that it didn't appear in national rankings for years and then all of a sudden debuts at around #121? Someone bought their way into "prestige." They gave me a degree, which means basically any idiot off the street could do the same.

UC Irvine and Cal State Fullerton are the better schools in Orange County. I had to go to Cal State Fullerton's library pretty frequently for research articles because Chapman's own library was terrible.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2022, 6:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye Native 001 View Post
So Chapman was established, I think, in Northern California in 1861 but had a small campus for years somewhere in Los Angeles County. It only relocated to Orange in 1954 after Orange High School moved to a new building.

As for its ranking, its highly dubious that it didn't appear in national rankings for years and then all of a sudden debuts at around #121? Someone bought their way into "prestige." They gave me a degree, which means basically any idiot off the street could do the same.
National ranking is a specific category of schools. For instance prestigious liberal arts schools like Swarthmore and Vassar aren't nationally ranked on this same list. So a high national rank debut isn’t necessarily out of nowhere. So it wasn't like it was number 900 and jumped to 121. It just means the college now offers doctoral programs, so it moved to this category no longer qualifying for their previous category.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions