HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction

Old Posted Jan 10, 2016, 4:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilsenarch View Post
^Let's hope the designs aren't finalized...
I'm not saying the designs are finalized, but the massing is pretty much locked in which is all that matters when it comes to the efficiency of one program over another. They agreed to preserve certain view lines and that means they can't just make the south towe fatter to accommodate office more efficently or anything like that.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2016, 6:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
I'm not saying the designs are finalized, but the massing is pretty much locked in which is all that matters when it comes to the efficiency of one program over another. They agreed to preserve certain view lines and that means they can't just make the south towe fatter to accommodate office more efficently or anything like that.
I heard from someone at Hines today that they expect delivery on the South Tower in 2020/2021. His words were they didn't want to start too soon to River Point so they did not compete with each other. Also, he mentioned he was told that the renderings are not placeholders and should stay the same with only minor design changes.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2016, 6:43 PM
devout Pizzatarian

^ thanks for the update!

Old Posted Jan 27, 2016, 8:51 PM
Biased in a good way?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MultiModal View Post
I heard from someone at Hines today that they expect delivery on the South Tower in 2020/2021. His words were they didn't want to start too soon to River Point so they did not compete with each other. Also, he mentioned he was told that the renderings are not placeholders and should stay the same with only minor design changes.
Delivery as in following through with their plans, or completion?

Old Posted Jan 27, 2016, 9:05 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domer2019 View Post
Delivery as in following through with their plans, or completion?
in the development world, "delivery" usually refers to completion, as in delivery of the product (condos, apartments, office space, etc.) to the marketplace.

if they hold to that timeline, shovels would most likely go in the ground sometime in 2018.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2016, 1:45 PM

Quote:
Well, I'm still praying they change... the Pelli designs remind me of something built in, like, Minneapolis in the '90s...

Old Posted Jan 29, 2016, 2:31 AM
THAT Guy

Since WPW is now in the "completed" section, here's that plus the remainder of the site:
20160123-_DSF9523 by Jeffrey Wang, on Flickr

Last edited by spyguy; Jan 29, 2016 at 2:47 AM.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2016, 3:49 PM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post

I've almost completely missed the floorplate size differential between s and e towers in my previous multiple attempts to explain why office in the s tower is unlikely. But, this is even a more compelling reason probably.

The e tower is perfectly suited for a single use office tower...right massing, right floorplate, right height, situated right within the overall wp footprint....on and on.....while the s tower works better as a resi/hotel combo.........

Old Posted Feb 9, 2016, 4:56 AM

Quote:
How about the East Tower? West Tower turned out to be a stunner!

Old Posted Feb 9, 2016, 2:02 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamInTheLoop View Post
...snip...

The e tower is perfectly suited for a single use office tower...right massing, right floorplate, right height, situated right within the overall wp footprint....on and on.....while the s tower works better as a resi/hotel combo.........
Sam, what you're saying makes sense, as far as the South tower being resi/hotel, but what do you make of Hines' concern about this tower "competing" with River Point, which would imply it's going to be at least partially office.

Imagine, office within the first 700' and then hotel after the setback above. Dear Tower Gods, just this one time, please let hotel on the upper-floors be profitable.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2016, 4:23 AM

I wanted to see what Wolf Point looked like from my shot in the River Point page (looking west down the river). Height may not be perfect, but the yet to be built Wolf Point buildings will make a dramatic impact on that view.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2016, 7:21 PM
DENNAB

Looks cool! Should be quite a bit taller though

Old Posted Mar 23, 2016, 7:26 PM
Development Shill

I thought the new design had a spire, also it's a bit taller than that, should look a lot bigger than River Point. Still cool to see the potential future view

Old Posted Apr 6, 2016, 4:49 PM

Just walked by on my way to lunch and saw a soil testing rig working the east side of the site.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2016, 5:35 PM

Looking at that photo and seeing the gap between river point and wolf point south, I can only imagine how valuable that parking lot across the street on canal from river point now is. The value must have skyrocketed since all of this was announced, I think they could not have imagined in their wildest dreams that nothing would block their view east down the river...WOW

Old Posted Apr 6, 2016, 5:43 PM
Mortaaaaaaaaar!

Yeah, wasn't the River Point hotel tower originally supposed to block that view?

Old Posted Apr 6, 2016, 5:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scalziand View Post
Yeah, wasn't the River Point hotel tower originally supposed to block that view?
Originally yes....but then it was scrapped by the alderman if my memory is correct and Gibsons is now going into a small two story structure on the site....Jackpot.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2016, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1052 View Post
Just walked by on my way to lunch and saw a soil testing rig working the east side of the site.
Walked by on my way to the Brown Line at Merchandise Mart this evening after work. The soil testing rig was positioned on the south side of the lot. It was a little muddy, but it looked like it was busy on the east side, too. Might this mean both towers could go up at the same time?

Old Posted Apr 7, 2016, 1:08 AM

^^^ It probably just means they wanted to save money by doing the soil testing simultaneously. I can't see them building both at once if only because the option of having an enormous staging area when building a 1,000' is a huge plus. Either way it's exciting that they are moving on soil testing, usually indicates forward momentum for a project.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2016, 9:24 PM

No one got pictures of the soil testing rigs? I'd love to have seen where they were drilling.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction