HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jun 11, 2021, 6:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
Did you read the comments section on SFYIMBY?

Old Posted Jun 12, 2021, 7:35 PM
你的媽媽

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbad View Post
ha, if you look at the link, I (and then someone else) commented the same thing below the article. Andrew Nelson gives an explanation in response
Quote:
It IS Union Square. Did you read the comments section on SFYIMBY? They slammed Mr. Nelson for calling it Tenderloin and he blamed it on Google.
Yes, I did see timbad's comment (although after I considered the question myself independently), and I thought I'd check here too since this is more of a discussion forum and was curious to hear further local opinion.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2021, 8:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebucket View Post
Yes, I did see timbad's comment (although after I considered the question myself independently), and I thought I'd check here too since this is more of a discussion forum and was curious to hear further local opinion.
That location is Union Square and not the Tenderloin--I've never seen anyone extend the borders of the Tenderloin to include Stockton St. before. It's ridiculous.

Anyway, back in the olden days when that building was the Virgin music store, U2 just appeared out of the blue and played on the rooftop--it was wild.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2021, 10:49 PM

The bus pavement for the Van Ness BRT project is now almost complete between Market St and the Bay. One major exception is the block between Golden Gate and McAllister. There they have poured the concrete curbs but not yet the red paving--I hope they do that this coming week (it appears ready).

They are also working on the block south of Market but that'll probably be the last part done.

They also seem to be slowly working on paving the boarding islands with gray pavers and they have lots of areas of sidewalk on either sides of the street that are still filled with temporary asphalt and need pavers or concrete. The island on the left side of this photo was just paved and there's a pile of unused pavers sitting there.

Finally they need to plant trees--lots of trees.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2021, 11:14 PM

TWO CRANES DISMANTLED TODAY - I see 2 cranes being taken down in my view today, one on Market St. and another South of Market.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2m5aans]6/12/2021 Crane Dismantle[/url
Crane Coming Down

Old Posted Jun 14, 2021, 7:05 AM
heavy user of walkability

^ those last few southern blocks on Van Ness seem to be coming along rather quickly - encouraging.

as a related side note, my subjective impression is that the various projects that have been sort of quietly going up over the last few years have left non-BRT Van Ness also looking pretty good these days. seems to be more closely resembling the grand boulevard role I think it is generally assumed to have. when BRT is done I am optimistic we will have gotten something we're pretty happy with. and then when the Hub fills in we'll have a solid new spine in the city.

as far as the cranes go, the other day I was surprised to see the one for 1028 Market was still up. so now it's not!

Old Posted Jun 14, 2021, 6:55 PM

Quote:
my subjective impression is that the various projects that have been sort of quietly going up over the last few years have left non-BRT Van Ness also looking pretty good these days. seems to be more closely resembling the grand boulevard role I think it is generally assumed to have. when BRT is done I am optimistic we will have gotten something we're pretty happy with. and then when the Hub fills in we'll have a solid new spine in the city.
In the midst of the construction, when they were redoing the utilities on either side of Van Ness and there were construction barriers on the sidewalks and lots of cordoned off niches, the homeless tent-dwellers occupied many of them leaving trash and refuse everywhere. They also filled the allies. It got very bad.

Now that the sidewalks are mostly back to normal (except for the random asphalt I mentioned above), the homeless occupation is mostly gone and the trash minimized. Indeed, as I have mentioned elsewhere, the homeless seem to have been pushed (or lured) east of Polk for the most part.

And I agree--when all the new buildings are occupied, one can hope their new occupants will add their voices to those demanding proper policing and city attention to the area.

One bit of bad news: The building on the NW corner of Van ness and Eddy seems to have had a fire on an upper floor which will require some reconstruction. The better news is from the outside it seems limited to one apartment and the building certainly is reparable.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2021, 8:45 PM
你的媽媽

Quote:
^ those last few southern blocks on Van Ness seem to be coming along rather quickly - encouraging.

as a related side note, my subjective impression is that the various projects that have been sort of quietly going up over the last few years have left non-BRT Van Ness also looking pretty good these days. seems to be more closely resembling the grand boulevard role I think it is generally assumed to have. when BRT is done I am optimistic we will have gotten something we're pretty happy with. and then when the Hub fills in we'll have a solid new spine in the city.

as far as the cranes go, the other day I was surprised to see the one for 1028 Market was still up. so now it's not!
Speaking of grand, maybe they can add some high end retail to replace some of the derelict buildings. The stretch between O'Farrell and Golden Gate, and turn it into a leafy pedestrian high end shopping corridor, like a mini Orchard Road in Singapore.

They even have their own BRT too:
https://goo.gl/maps/oEXLhggvjdoaBCDw5

Old Posted Jun 14, 2021, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebucket View Post
derelict buildings. The stretch between O'Farrell and Golden Gate
To which buildings do you refer?

https://www.instantstreetview.com/@3...qNb4PjCsBUmqQw

There are about 4 or 5 possibilities in that stretch:

- The northeast corner of Golden Gate and Van Ness is the vacant lot now being used to stage the BRT project--can't be developed until that is finished but plans for a condo once it is.

- The northeast corner of Eddy and Van Ness--a vacant restaurant space (one of hundreds across town)

- The northwest corner of Eddy and Van Ness--former MiniCooper dealership with plans to make the entire building into an upscale gym (not sure where those stand post-covid)

- The recently closed Walgreen's space

In this stretch are Tesla and Jaguar dealerships (not upscale enough?)

The number of vacant storefronts doesn't seem disproportionate to the city as a whole. Most of the buildings are either designated as "significant" and therefore protected or reasonably modern, mostly housing. Besides the two high end auto dealers, there one of the city's few remaining independent book sellers, several coffee shops and a couple of restaurants (one that's "fast food"), a different pharmacy (CVS) and a school.

I really can't think of anything that's "derelict". As I said, there's a couple that are empty since covid--not unusual anywhere in the city. There are plans for the one entire building (which is designated "significant") that's presently empty and the one vacant lot.

In case you've forgotten, this is what's proposed for the old McDonald's lot now staging the BRT:

https://iwamotoscott.com/projects/van-ness

And for the Mini dealership:

Quote:
New Plans for the Historic Mini Dealership Building on Van Ness
March 14, 2018
Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on LinkedInShare on Google PlusSubmit to RedditSubmit to DiggSubmit to StumbledUponShare via Email

While currently leased to Mini of San Francisco, plans to renovate and repurpose the historic Willis Polk and Co. designed building on the southwest corner of Van Ness Avenue and Eddy are in the works.

And as envisioned, the 45,000-square-foot building, which was purchased for $8 million in 2012, will become a private fitness club, with weights in the basement; cardio, group fitness rooms and “VIP” facilities on the first floor; and a private restaurant, lounge, locker rooms and indoor pool, complete with a retractable roof and daybeds, on the second floor.
https://socketsite.com/archives/2018...-van-ness.html

Last edited by Pedestrian; Jun 14, 2021 at 10:46 PM.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2021, 1:43 AM

Quote:
The last time I walked that stretch (admittedly a few months ago) I noticed a liquor license application notice on a window of this building for a new restaurant from Michael Mina. Not sure if that’s still in the cards though as there doesn’t seem to be any progress (other than noting the Mini Cooper signage being painted over on a recent drive down Van Ness).

Old Posted Jun 15, 2021, 2:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewK View Post
The last time I walked that stretch (admittedly a few months ago) I noticed a liquor license application notice on a window of this building for a new restaurant from Michael Mina. Not sure if that’s still in the cards though as there doesn’t seem to be any progress (other than noting the Mini Cooper signage being painted over on a recent drive down Van Ness).
Yes, I saw that too and frankly I don't know what it means. Obviously, with gyms closed by the covid orders, nobody was in a hurry to move forward with the 2018 plans but those plans did include a restaurant. I've seen nothing to indicate the people who bought it in 2018 have or are trying to sell it so I want to believe the plan is still active if not exactly on schedule.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2021, 2:45 AM

Second crane of Oceanwide is currently being dismantled at the site.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2021, 4:50 AM
你的媽媽

Nice shot showcasing some of the newer construction and its place in the skyline.

https://www.reddit.com/r/sanfrancisc...ever_gets_old/

Old Posted Jun 19, 2021, 9:37 AM

There was some kind of pile-driver or something working away next to the Millennium Tower the other day. Maybe they're finally fixing the notorious lean?

Old Posted Jun 19, 2021, 3:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tall/awkward View Post
There was some kind of pile-driver or something working away next to the Millennium Tower the other day. Maybe they're finally fixing the notorious lean?
funny you should mention that...

(and yes, this is the fix for the lean)

Old Posted Jun 20, 2021, 4:43 AM
你的媽媽

Old Posted Jun 20, 2021, 1:29 PM

since the thread for this one is closed, I'll post 706 Mission pics here

Folsom looking pretty good

2nd St looking pretty good

Moscone Muni

Old Posted Jun 20, 2021, 7:15 PM

Quote:
Demolition Permits Filed For 531 Bryant Street, SoMa, San Francisco
BY: ANDREW NELSON 5:30 AM ON JUNE 20, 2021

Demolition permits have been filed for the existing two-story building at 531 Bryant Street in SoMa, San Francisco. The existing brick structure will be replaced by a six-story mixed-use project giving a small office space in the city.

Handel Architects is responsible for the eye-catching design.

The San Francisco-based Urban Land Development LLC is responsible for the development. The developer website lists that construction is expected to begin this Fall. Once demolition begins, the job is projected to last 16 months until the building can open.

The 65-foot proposal will yield 49,290 square feet, of which 46,390 square feet is for office use and 2,900 square feet for retail and services. 2,780 square feet of usable open space will be opened on-site as well, primarily from the roof deck with views of the skyline. There will be a large retail spot along Bryant Street, as well as micro-retail spaces facing Zoe Street to provide smaller business spaces.

The design by Handel Architects contrasts darkened patina metal panels running along the podium with reflective brushed metal panels and mullions framing floor-to-ceiling windows. A screen of projecting vertical fins will serve as a design motif, giving a visual prominence to the entrance lobby and retail space . . . .

The property is located between 3rd and 4th Street, nearby the I-80 freeway slicing the industrial neighborhood apart from the Central Business District. 531 Bryant Street will find itself a block away from 725-777 Harrison Street, a proposed 15-story red and grey office and housing proposal designed by HOK and developed by Boston Properties.

https://sfyimby.com/2021/06/demoliti...francisco.html

Old Posted Jun 20, 2021, 11:50 PM

The Millennium has it's own thread with diagrams of what work is being done to stop the sinking/leaning & hopefully level the structure. Here is the link:

https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...=224190&page=3

Old Posted Jun 21, 2021, 1:52 AM

Fencing has gone up around this site and it looks like the Liquor Barn has moved out.

https://sfyimby.com/2020/11/renderin...francisco.html

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations