HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

Closed Thread

Old Posted Apr 21, 2018, 1:17 AM
Development Shill

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomrQT View Post
Right.... and the reds in this painting are a subtle nod to the elegance of the ketchup on the burger I had for lunch today...

You aren't the painter so I don't really get your point... I get you are trying to be funny/clever, but keep in mind that when a painter states symbolism is in his painting and points to where it is, there is validity. Denying that just makes you look like a 12 year old who hates going to the Art Institute because it's BOOORRRIIINNNN
MOOOOOMMM

This exact same argument is what I use to defend their statements on the tower's design and callbacks to the towers near it

Old Posted Apr 21, 2018, 3:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steely dan View Post
i hadn't seen this angle large scale yet.

from this vantage point, this tower makes a lot more sense to me.

The context of tribune and the equitable building (under-appreciated) is just fantastic!

What a terrific composition this would make, a dialogue across decades and centuries.

beastmode!

Old Posted Apr 21, 2018, 4:00 AM

Man I hope this thing gets built!!

Old Posted Apr 21, 2018, 12:33 PM
All-American City Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumdogmillionaire View Post
You aren't the painter so I don't really get your point... I get you are trying to be funny/clever, but keep in mind that when a painter states symbolism is in his painting and points to where it is, there is validity. Denying that just makes you look like a 12 year old who hates going to the Art Institute because it's BOOORRRIIINNNN
MOOOOOMMM

This exact same argument is what I use to defend their statements on the tower's design and callbacks to the towers near it
The point I'm making is it sounds like people are reaching because what they are saying sounds somewhat plausible in their heads and borderline seems like they are just making stuff up, like some tend to do with modern art. If the architect stated somewhere that the verticle bronze lines were a 'subtle nod' to the Equitable Building next door then ok. But if they haven't stated that, then why wouldn't the vertical lines be a 'subtle nod' to the verticle lines on the Tribune Tower?

I'm more inclined to believe that the crown at the top is more of an 'homage' to Batman's ears than an interescted gothic arch that people have tried to establish as an association. It just seems like people are desperately trying to make this tower fit and using a rorschach test of design features to justify it. Until I see something specifically quoted by the architects, or a design feature that's more blatantly obvious, it just sounds like people reaching.
4. Chicago Board of Trade - Chicago - Holabird & Root - Photo
5. Cathedral of Learning - Pittsburgh - Charles Klauder - Photo

Old Posted Apr 21, 2018, 3:26 PM
Urbane observer

Do you really not know that Equitable is unique among Miesian highrises for its bronze finishes? That Tribune Tower is unique among neoclassical buildings for its flying buttresses? That NBC Tower is unique among postmodern buildings for its shoutout to both Tribune Tower and Rockefeller Center? That Adrian Smith is the architect of NBC—and also the master of subtle nods to a building's historic context?

I take it you were the kid in the back of English class saying "she's crazy. It's just a book about life on a whaling ship. I don't know what this allegory crap even means."

Old Posted Apr 21, 2018, 7:05 PM

Old Posted Apr 21, 2018, 7:23 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
It just seems like people are desperately trying to make this tower fit and using a rorschach test of design features to justify it.
Actually, it just seems like you are woefully unfamiliar with Adrian Smith, his work, and his entire design philosophy.

If you had a clue of what you were talking about, these things would be glaringly obvious to you.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2018, 8:00 PM
TL;DR

I'm not sure why the podium bulges out like that on the south side. It looks totally inappropriate next to the straight lines of the Tribune's base. The bulbous shape reminds me of an auditorium.

That scalloped glass curtain wall, though... Here's hoping it survives VE.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2018, 8:03 PM
BANNED

Agree, the base looks really clumsy to me.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2018, 9:38 PM
All-American City Boy

The site this morning.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2018, 9:46 PM
All-American City Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
Actually, it just seems like you are woefully unfamiliar with Adrian Smith, his work, and his entire design philosophy.

If you had a clue of what you were talking about, these things would be glaringly obvious to you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
Do you really not know that Equitable is unique among Miesian highrises for its bronze finishes? That Tribune Tower is unique among neoclassical buildings for its flying buttresses? That NBC Tower is unique among postmodern buildings for its shoutout to both Tribune Tower and Rockefeller Center? That Adrian Smith is the architect of NBC—and also the master of subtle nods to a building's historic context?

I take it you were the kid in the back of English class saying "she's crazy. It's just a book about life on a whaling ship. I don't know what this allegory crap even means."
Sorry. Still seems like a weak effort to pair these two buildings together when they simply don't pair together. Reminds me of the wine experts that in a blind test can't tell the difference between a $6 and a $60 bottle of wine. When you put the Tribune Tower and this new building side by side, you really have to make stretches to say the new building "compliments" or "pays homage" to the Tribune Tower or any other building around it. I know I'm ruffling feathers, so I'll cool it, but I just don't see or agree with what you guys are saying.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2018, 9:56 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
I'm not sure why the podium bulges out like that on the south side. It looks totally inappropriate next to the straight lines of the Tribune's base. The bulbous shape reminds me of an auditorium.

Something something, Adrian Smith is referencing a nearby building, yadda yadda.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2018, 10:38 PM

Quote:
When you put the Tribune Tower and this new building side by side, you really have to make stretches to say the new building "compliments" or "pays homage" to the Tribune Tower or any other building around it. I know I'm ruffling feathers, so I'll cool it, but I just don't see or agree with what you guys are saying.
I think it's reasonable to say the bronze fins give the building an art-deco touch that complements the NBC building nicely.

But saying the taper of the building or it's Batman-looking top somehow ties in to the Gothic style of the TribuneTower seems a stretch to me.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2018, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannedairspray View Post
Something something, Adrian Smith is referencing a nearby building, yadda yadda.
Yeah the Trump Tower definitely doesn't have setbacks matching each surrounding building, borrow the facade pattern from IBM, reflect Wrigleys wedding cake Massing, or have rounded edges referencing Marina City.

This reminds me of the one college intro architecture class I took with a bunch of frat boy business majors. "hurr Durr buildings can't have any meaning hurr"

Old Posted Apr 22, 2018, 12:22 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
Yeah the Trump Tower definitely doesn't have setbacks matching each surrounding building, borrow the facade pattern from IBM, reflect Wrigleys wedding cake Massing, or have rounded edges referencing Marina City.

This reminds me of the one college intro architecture class I took with a bunch of frat boy business majors. "hurr Durr buildings can't have any meaning hurr"
...so the podium bulge?

Old Posted Apr 22, 2018, 4:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannedairspray View Post
...so the podium bulge?
Echos the bulge of the upper shaft of the tower? Is is really absurd to think they want continuity in the design and arent trying to totally ape Tribune by merely copying every aspect of the original line by line?

By the way, the horizontal rows of ventilation grates on the South and North facades perfectly echo the same lines of ventilation on NBC Tower. You are in total denial if you think this building isn't a well reasoned reflection of it's surroundings just like Trump.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2018, 3:41 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
You are in total denial if you think this building isn't a well reasoned reflection of it's surroundings just like Trump.
Where did I say or imply that? Who are you arguing with?

If you look to the upper left of the post, it'll tell you the username of the person who wrote it.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2018, 3:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post

I'm not understanding that either. And those tacked on (presumably) light masts are way too conspicuous. The concave glass is great, but really awkward with the outward bulge of the walls--it's a mixed message.

The glass reminds me of that (as yet unbuilt(?)) Rex project in DC. Would be so sexy if they kept it simple like that. If those light elements could be recessed in a bronze trench...

Last edited by Jibba; Apr 23, 2018 at 4:06 PM.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2018, 12:17 AM

April 17

April 23

Old Posted Apr 30, 2018, 1:01 AM
DENNAB

Chicago is going to look insane in a few years anyway (and already does/has) but if this actually goes through, all the new supertalls will just be something else.

Hopefully they can extend the height 30+ feet

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals